26 Oct 2003 08:37:50
Opinions..Black Vs. Dk. Brwn.

Hi everyone, for the first time in a VERY long time, I noticed in my
program that in the Breeders Cup program, the filly who won the Mile,
Six Perfections, is listed as "Black". She did not look any more black
than did any of our American horses who are listed as Dk.b/b. War Emblem
and Sunday Silence certainly looked like they were black but were listed
as the dark brown. Is this a European thing? Thanks very much to anyone
for any info!!!

26 Oct 2003 20:09:24
Tim - Secretariat
Re: Opinions..Black Vs. Dk. Brwn.

The color is based upon the color at the time of registration on the
foal certificate. Ack Ack turned more brown as he aged yet LOOKED black.
Spectacular Bid was a very dark gray at three and almost white when I
saw him at stud.

[email protected] wrote:

>Hi everyone, for the first time in a VERY long time, I noticed in my
>program that in the Breeders Cup program, the filly who won the Mile,
>Six Perfections, is listed as "Black". She did not look any more black
>than did any of our American horses who are listed as Dk.b/b. War Emblem
>and Sunday Silence certainly looked like they were black but were listed
>as the dark brown. Is this a European thing? Thanks very much to anyone
>for any info!!!

28 Oct 2003 18:59:51
Formica Dinette
Re: Opinions..Black Vs. Dk. Brwn.

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 20:09:24 +0000, Tim - Secretariat wrote:

> The color is based upon the color at the time of registration on the
> foal certificate. Ack Ack turned more brown as he aged yet LOOKED black.
> Spectacular Bid was a very dark gray at three and almost white when I
> saw him at stud.
>
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>>Hi everyone, for the first time in a VERY long time, I noticed in my
>>program that in the Breeders Cup program, the filly who won the Mile,
>>Six Perfections, is listed as "Black". She did not look any more black
>>than did any of our American horses who are listed as Dk.b/b. War Emblem
>>and Sunday Silence certainly looked like they were black but were listed
>>as the dark brown. Is this a European thing? Thanks very much to anyone
>>for any info!!!

Nice catch. True "Black" horses are somewhat rare. From a distance many
appear black but with the right light, dk. brown pigment is evident. In
this case as I recall (mucho moons ago) the coloring is listed as "Dark
brown/Bay". Spent more than a few evenings entering papers at the start
of a meet and the color black was rare.