24 Sep 2005 02:54:25
olrailbird
Opinions on 10cent Superfectas?

Ten cent superfectas are all the rage! I'm finding them offered by many
tracks.

The obvious and oft-stated reason for their existence is to bypass IRS
paperwork
on payoffs barely cracking $602. Such hits garner only $60.20 for a dime and
so
go unreported. There is nothing stopping one from betting multiple identical
10 cent supers...

But I'm not here to argue IRS nonsense. Those bastards should pick
Halliburton's
pockets before dodging us.

I'd like to know what you think of the dime super on it's own merit. Is it a
viable bet?

I'll say this for it -- it got me betting superfectas. I'm a small player
and can't afford
to go deep to four positions on a dollar bet. At a dime, the combination
that used
to cost $54 is now about five bucks. You can toss it in on a whim...

Of course, the payoffs are 1/10th.

So far, I've hit from $3 to $380 in two days of trying them. Mine averaged
$70 but the median is about $22.

If you played 2-1-8-5 in the 5th at Fairplex last Thursday you got $
36,374.32!

Right now I'm keying one horse over a mess. If I get the winner, there's a
decent chance I'll get paid. This can be frustrating when you have a mild
case
of seconditis as I had today.

When I first started playing dime superfectas, I tried playing multiple
horses on
top and to be fair I seemed to hit often but didn't go deep enough and
missed
some big payoffs due to lack of 3rd or 4th.

Miss the top. Miss the middle. Any nag can run 4th. Where do you key?

The obscene spread in payoffs ($3 to $36K+) makes your return as hard to
predict as the order of finish. Obviously favorites sink the payoffs but
there
exceptional cases where $4 winners top $100 strikes. Just not often.

For me, the jury is out on the long-term consequences of playing
superfectas.
I think I need to pass the 50% or so that pay $25 or less.

I doubt I'll ever hit a thirty-six grander, but I can imagine topping $1K
with
some of the picks I make. That's one hell of a dime jackpot.

How popular do you think this thing is? I got the feeling it was distorting
trifecta payoffs at some of the tracks (tri's seemed bigger than sf payoff
would indicate -- or vice versa.) Has anyone seen pool totals?

It's kind of a fun gimmick and I'm glad that lowering the price has let me
enjoy it. Maybe they should lower the prices on all the bets and let the
players seek a comfortable level. Might attract more players.

--
Good Luck,
olrailbird

25 Sep 2005 04:52:58
Re: Opinions on 10cent Superfectas?

I like the idea. Ie Keep the damned Taxman out of your winnings.
The law was passed to "Prevent money laundering", as far as I
understand.

How about that if true? Rather than have the cops do their jobs-tax us
poor sheep.

I finally played 2 $0.10 Supers yesterday.
In the first I was punching numbers with abandon- "Print Ticket"
-$36.00!
Do I really want to spend $36? on this race? OK, I'll see what happens.
It was a winning ticket and paid $74. Fabulous!
The second ticket was approached with more sobriety on my part-$12.00.
A winner for the GREAT sum of $24.00.
I'll bet them now.

I am waiting for a race with 10 to go and two false short-priced
horses. Multiple $0.10 bets then. Feast- or the more normal famine?
Who knows? It's a stab.

Joe

26 Sep 2005 10:37:34
Dave in Toronto
Re: Opinions on 10cent Superfectas?

Here in Toronto we have 20c superfectas on selected racing. I like them
- It means you can box four numbers for $4.80 - as most of the selected
races are hard to handicap "anything goes" races I treat it like a
lottery ticket and usually just box 4 quick pick numbers. I won once -
unfortunately not a large sum.

Dave in Toronto

27 Sep 2005 05:38:32
Ream
Re: Opinions on 10cent Superfectas?

I think it's a great move. You get the budget players to play
them because of the price. You get the "expert" players because
of the expected value.

Where's the downside?

28 Sep 2005 23:43:37
Dave in Toronto
Re: Opinions on 10cent Superfectas?

I seem to remember a few years back some US tracks in an effort to
attract gamblers who weren't too interested in horse racing had a
simple odd/even bet. You just bet on either the winner having an odd
or an even program number. Do any tracks still have this?

Dave in Toronto

30 Sep 2005 00:57:41
Ream
Re: Opinions on 10cent Superfectas?

"Dave in Toronto" <[email protected] > wrote

> I seem to remember a few years back some US tracks in an effort to
> attract gamblers who weren't too interested in horse racing had a
> simple odd/even bet. You just bet on either the winner having an odd
> or an even program number. Do any tracks still have this?
>
> Dave in Toronto

None that i know of. They still have quick-pick buttons for pick
sixes.

Hollywood Park is pretty good about trying new wagers. They
also tried a show quinella a few years ago. It failed too. But, at
least they tried.

Laters.....

30 Sep 2005 03:18:58
Re: Opinions on 10cent Superfectas?

$1 perfectas can easily break you. A four horse box is $24 and, of
course all four have to come in. A cheaper bet in one on top, three
under for $6 but my previous comment applies.
I happily bet $2.40 on a box and am pleased when the $300 payoff gets
me $30.
Bay Meadows had added it.

30 Sep 2005 08:27:17
Ream
Re: Opinions on 10cent Superfectas?

<[email protected] > wrote
> $1 perfectas can easily break you. A four horse box is $24 and, of
> course all four have to come in. A cheaper bet in one on top, three
> under for $6 but my previous comment applies.
> I happily bet $2.40 on a box and am pleased when the $300 payoff gets
> me $30.
> Bay Meadows had added it.

Risk vs reward my friend.

Laters........

19 Oct 2005 00:52:41
olrailbird

Ream wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote
>> $1 perfectas can easily break you. A four horse box is $24 and, of
>> course all four have to come in. A cheaper bet in one on top, three
>> under for $6 but my previous comment applies.
>> I happily bet $2.40 on a box and am pleased when the $300 payoff
>> gets me $30.
>> Bay Meadows had added it.
>
> Risk vs reward my friend.
>
> Laters........

With luck and perseverance, 10 cent bets can grow to a dollar or more.

--
Good Luck,
olrailbird

19 Oct 2005 18:29:38

olrailbird wrote:
> Ream wrote:
>> <[email protected]> wrote
>>> $1 perfectas can easily break you. A four horse box is $24 and, of
>>> course all four have to come in. A cheaper bet in one on top, three
>>> under for $6 but my previous comment applies.
>>> I happily bet $2.40 on a box and am pleased when the $300 payoff
>>> gets me $30.
>>> Bay Meadows had added it.
>> Risk vs reward my friend.
>>
>> Laters........
>
> With luck and perseverance, 10 cent bets can grow to a dollar or more.

I am wondering if some $1 players use this to avoid the IRS.

19 Oct 2005 11:57:37
Re: Opinions on 10cent Superfectas?

>I am wondering if some $1 players use this to avoid the IRS.

Wouldn't it be foolish not to?
What does it take to punch 10 tickets?
The next signer you (everyone) gets whacked with, think about the
amount of labor that would have gone into ticket punching and how much
labor (value) leaves your wallet come tax time.

No contest IMO.
Joe

20 Oct 2005 01:20:43
olrailbird

[email protected] wrote:
> olrailbird wrote:
>> Ream wrote:
>>> <[email protected]> wrote
>>> Risk vs reward my friend.
>>>
>>> Laters........
>>
>> With luck and perseverance, 10 cent bets can grow to a dollar or
>> more.
>>

> I am wondering if some $1 players use this to avoid the IRS.

Absolutely. That was the impetus for the change -- the tracks actually
got tired of the paperwork! Damned near every super tripped the IRS.

I'm for 10cent TRI's as well...

Hell, 20cent win bets could let us test systems using "real money." Maybe
not at the tellers, but what's the harm online? Little overhead cost and
more money in the pool. Seems like win-win to me.

I've been passing days lately while I re-write some stuff. If I could
dabble in cheap bets, I would have churned a few bucks into the system
just for fun. Instead, I sat on the sidelines without even buying
information.

Punch it 10 times...

--
Good Luck,