21 Dec 2005 21:16:24
My Haz
REQ: Reading Suggestions


Looking for some reading suggestions on the fundementals of
handicapping, those that are geared towards the mathematically
inclined are of most intrest to me. All flavor of Idiot's Guide/Make
money quick/easy flavor of reading, need not apply.

Cheers
- Haz

--
I run faster with a knife, everyone runs faster with a knife.



21 Dec 2005 19:03:02
Scott McPhillips [MVP]
Re: REQ: Reading Suggestions

My Haz wrote:
> Looking for some reading suggestions on the fundementals of
> handicapping, those that are geared towards the mathematically
> inclined are of most intrest to me. All flavor of Idiot's Guide/Make
> money quick/easy flavor of reading, need not apply.
>
> Cheers
> - Haz
>

Two classics for the mathematically inclined...

William Quirin's "Winning At The Races" provides a statistical study of
which factors have how much influence on probability of winning.

Barry Meadow's "Money Secrets at the Racetrack" is a thorough treatment
of money management. (Which is the half the battle that you can control!)

Neither of these books provides a basic introduction to the sport and
its terminology. If you also need that you could start with Ainslie's
"Complete Guide to Thoroughbred Racing."



22 Dec 2005 07:02:16
Danzig
Re: REQ: Reading Suggestions

My Haz wrote:
> Looking for some reading suggestions on the fundementals of
> handicapping, those that are geared towards the mathematically
> inclined are of most intrest to me. All flavor of Idiot's Guide/Make
> money quick/easy flavor of reading, need not apply.
>
> Cheers
> - Haz
>
Modern Pace handicapping


22 Dec 2005 03:07:11
olrailbird
Re: Reading Suggestions

My Haz wrote:
> Looking for some reading suggestions on the fundementals of
> handicapping, those that are geared towards the mathematically
> inclined are of most intrest to me. All flavor of Idiot's Guide/Make
> money quick/easy flavor of reading, need not apply.
>
> Cheers
> - Haz

The Theory of Gambling and Statistical Logic
by Richard A. Epstein. (Amazon $50.95 paperback)

If you can calculate "true odds" and know the tote, then
Epstein shows you the formula to guarantee profit.

Obviously not a book on handicapping, but you
might be interested. Only one short chapter on
the ponies...I've heard the owner of Starcraft
expanded this theory to make millions betting
exotics at Hong Kong.

Caveat: Not an easy book to comprehend.

--
Good Luck,
olrailbird
www.stevenberry.com





22 Dec 2005 13:40:58
My Haz
Re: Reading Suggestions

"olrailbird" <[email protected] > writes:

> My Haz wrote:
> > Looking for some reading suggestions on the fundementals of
> > handicapping, those that are geared towards the mathematically
> > inclined are of most intrest to me. All flavor of Idiot's Guide/Make
> > money quick/easy flavor of reading, need not apply.
> >
> > Cheers
> > - Haz
>
> The Theory of Gambling and Statistical Logic
> by Richard A. Epstein. (Amazon $50.95 paperback)
>
> If you can calculate "true odds" and know the tote, then Epstein
> shows you the formula to guarantee profit.

The idea behind this is very simple to grasp if anyone wants me to
expand on it i will.

>
> Obviously not a book on handicapping, but you
> might be interested. Only one short chapter on
> the ponies...I've heard the owner of Starcraft
> expanded this theory to make millions betting
> exotics at Hong Kong.
>
> Caveat: Not an easy book to comprehend.

Depends on your training :D.

Probably not the book for me as I am pretty sure I am well aware of
the concepts he presents.

Thanks for the Suggestions
- Haz

--
3.6 billion Years of Natural Selection Can't be Wrong


23 Dec 2005 02:26:45
olrailbird
Re: Reading Suggestions

My Haz <[email protected] wrote:
-- SNIP --
>> The Theory of Gambling and Statistical Logic
>> by Richard A. Epstein. (Amazon $50.95 paperback)
>>
>> If you can calculate "true odds" and know the tote, then Epstein
>> shows you the formula to guarantee profit.
>
> The idea behind this is very simple to grasp if anyone wants me to
> expand on it i will.
>
-- SNIP --

Oh, go ahead and save everyone the $50.95!

Seriously, talk it up. We need the input.

--
Good Luck,
olrailbird
www.stevenberry.com




23 Dec 2005 17:55:29
Steve L
Re: Reading Suggestions

> Looking for some reading suggestions on the fundementals of
> handicapping, those that are geared towards the mathematically
> inclined are of most intrest to me. All flavor of Idiot's Guide/Make
> money quick/easy flavor of reading, need not apply.
>
> Cheers
> - Haz

Read Tom Brohamer's Modern Pace Handicapping and anything by Tom Ainslie and
James Quinn.(although he has some weird syntax in his writings)
DRF published Bet with the Best that is authored by several of the USA's top
writer/handicappers. Andrew Beyer has several books you should read such as
Beyer on Speed and Picking Winners.

Steve




24 Dec 2005 16:04:53
Uber_Micro
Re: Reading Suggestions


"olrailbird" <[email protected] > writes:

> My Haz <[email protected] wrote:
> -- SNIP --
> >> The Theory of Gambling and Statistical Logic
> >> by Richard A. Epstein. (Amazon $50.95 paperback)
> >>
> >> If you can calculate "true odds" and know the tote, then Epstein
> >> shows you the formula to guarantee profit.
> >
> > The idea behind this is very simple to grasp if anyone wants me to
> > expand on it i will.
> >
> -- SNIP --
>
> Oh, go ahead and save everyone the $50.95!
>
> Seriously, talk it up. We need the input.
>

Maybe this is best suited for a.s.h-r.systems, I will gladly converse
about it on there in a day or two.

/uber_micro

--
3.6 billion Years of Natural Selection Can't be Wrong