22 Feb 2008 14:18:59
lescor
Ref; The Derby..Darby etc.

Danzig wrote:
> lescor wrote:
>
>> Please remember that their is only one THE Derby ,
although there is
>> the Irish Derby, the Scottish Derby, the French Derby, the
Kentucky
>> Derby the German Derby etc. -))
>>
>> Hope you enjoy your day at Epsom. Also hope there is a
sprint race
>> down that steep 5f hill. It's worth seeing.
>>
>> LC
>>

> I am going to be going with a fellow whose family all have
been bookies
> for years. Not having that here (well since I was last at
Aqua Caliente
> in the late 60's) it will be fun to watch.
>
> He tells me that the Chelteham Festival will be great to
watch as will
> be The Grand National on the 6th of April.

Cheltenham is simply amazing. Every year it warms the heart of
anyone interested in horses. They are the heroes, and how that
massive crowd responds to them. For enthusiasm, it is the
horse event of the year, greater than the Derby or the other
flat classics. Tickets for the 5 days are sold out weeks in
advance many taken by crowds of Irishmen who save all year to
bring over big bundles of betting money plus a bit for the booze.

I used to go to one or two days every year but the increasing
crowds and need to pre book ended that. But even on TV you get
a true idea of that atmosphere. And then there is the racing
with that killer hill up to the finish after 2 or three or
more miles of jumps. You will see guts and courage in spades.
The staying thoroughbred at its best.

In my younger days I was mainly just a punter with no great
interest in the race horses, but one day I decided to take a
girl friend out to the big open ditch to watch the field of
about 20 jump it. I have never forgotten it. The thunder of
that field approaching ..... the goggled faces... the 'spelt,
splat, splat' as they brushed through the top of that big
birch fence.....the sheer frightening pace...the noise..the
drama........and then they were gone, just shapes, quickly
getting smaller in the distance. My love and respect for these
wonderful animals was born on that day when I realised just
what they did, and the amazing speed they did it at.

If you cannot make Cheltenham in person maybe you could try
one of the smaller jump meetings. They are certainly worth a
visit.

The lush Epsom Spring meeting, Cheltenham, the Grand National?
I was going to say I hope you enjoy them, but that would be
silly. You are a racing man, so bound to enjoy them. I hope
your bets turn out to be as cast iron certs.

It would be very interesting to hear a full account on your
return.

regards,

LC

22 Feb 2008 17:40:27
Danzig
Re: Ref; The Derby..Darby etc.

d it at.

> If you cannot make Cheltenham in person maybe you could try one of the
> smaller jump meetings. They are certainly worth a visit.
>
> The lush Epsom Spring meeting, Cheltenham, the Grand National?
> I was going to say I hope you enjoy them, but that would be silly. You
> are a racing man, so bound to enjoy them. I hope your bets turn out to
> be as cast iron certs.
>

> It would be very interesting to hear a full account on your return.
>
> regards,
>
> LC

I wouldn't have know WHERE to go if it weren't for my bookie connection.
Also I just read a book about the Cheltenham festival and the likes of
Arkle and Desert Orchid. We will be based in Brighton and I am
contacting the courses that will be open. Being close to both Epsom and
Goodwood, I may travel to see them and might be able to be an assistant
bookie on course at Aintree on a day OTHER than the Grand National.

Thanks for the tips

Tim

23 Feb 2008 09:31:54
lescor
Re: Ref; The Derby..Darby etc.

Danzig wrote:
> d it at.
>

>> If you cannot make Cheltenham in person maybe you could try one of the
>> smaller jump meetings. They are certainly worth a visit.
>>
>> The lush Epsom Spring meeting, Cheltenham, the Grand National?
>> I was going to say I hope you enjoy them, but that would be silly.
>> You are a racing man, so bound to enjoy them. I hope your bets turn
>> out to be as cast iron certs.
>>

>> It would be very interesting to hear a full account on your return.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> LC
>>

> I wouldn't have know WHERE to go if it weren't for my bookie connection.
> Also I just read a book about the Cheltenham festival and the likes of
> Arkle and Desert Orchid. We will be based in Brighton and I am
> contacting the courses that will be open. Being close to both Epsom and
> Goodwood, I may travel to see them and might be able to be an assistant
> bookie on course at Aintree on a day OTHER than the Grand National.
>
> Thanks for the tips
>
> Tim

I also live in that area. Brighton has its own course for flat
racing. Not great standard racing, but a strange course
geography, even by our standards. Imagine a 12f long curve
laid out across the crest of a hill.

Goodwood is called "Glorious Goodwood" for a reason. Top class
flat racing, very hilly and extremely pretty.

Two jump course also within a few miles of you. Plumpton and
the far better Fontwell Park, which has a figure of 8 chase
course.

Hope the weather is kind for you.

LC

23 Feb 2008 17:18:49
Danzig
Re: Ref; The Derby..Darby etc.

>> I wouldn't have know WHERE to go if it weren't for my bookie
>> connection. Also I just read a book about the Cheltenham festival and
>> the likes of Arkle and Desert Orchid. We will be based in Brighton and
>> I am contacting the courses that will be open. Being close to both
>> Epsom and Goodwood, I may travel to see them and might be able to be
>> an assistant bookie on course at Aintree on a day OTHER than the Grand
>> National.
>>
>> Thanks for the tips
>>
>> Tim
>

> I also live in that area. Brighton has its own course for flat racing.
> Not great standard racing, but a strange course geography, even by our
> standards. Imagine a 12f long curve laid out across the crest of a hill.
>
> Goodwood is called "Glorious Goodwood" for a reason. Top class flat
> racing, very hilly and extremely pretty.
>
> Two jump course also within a few miles of you. Plumpton and the far
> better Fontwell Park, which has a figure of 8 chase course.
>
> Hope the weather is kind for you.
>
> LC

THANKS!!!