27 Nov 2006 23:39:11
G-Man
Teletimer

How accurate are the timings of North American horseraces? Discuss!

Cheers,
G-Man

28 Nov 2006 20:47:51
G-Man
Re: Teletimer

"G-Man" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> How accurate are the timings of North American horseraces? Discuss!

How can there be any talk of world record times in the US when all races
using the Teletimer system are done with a rolling start?

Cheers,
G-Man

29 Nov 2006 15:44:54
G-Man
Re: Teletimer

"G-Man" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "G-Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> How accurate are the timings of North American horseraces? Discuss!
>>

> How can there be any talk of world record times in the US when all races
> using the Teletimer system are done with a rolling start?

IMHO Secretariat's world record at Belmont should be downgraded to track
record.

Cheers,
G-Man

29 Nov 2006 17:17:21
Jimbo
Re: Teletimer

"G-Man" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "G-Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "G-Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> How accurate are the timings of North American horseraces? Discuss!
>>>

>> How can there be any talk of world record times in the US when all races
>> using the Teletimer system are done with a rolling start?
>
> IMHO Secretariat's world record at Belmont should be downgraded to track
> record.
>

> Cheers,
> G-Man

Horses have gone faster than 2:24 on the grass.............

29 Nov 2006 22:46:09
G-Man
Re: Teletimer

"Jimbo" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "G-Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "G-Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>>
>>> "G-Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]
>>>>

>>> How can there be any talk of world record times in the US when all races
>>> using the Teletimer system are done with a rolling start?
>>
>> IMHO Secretariat's world record at Belmont should be downgraded to track
>> record.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> G-Man
>
> Horses have gone faster than 2:24 on the grass.............

If you say so.

Cheers,

G-Man

30 Nov 2006 00:48:25
Danzig
Re: Teletimer

G-Man wrote:

> "G-Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "G-Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> How accurate are the timings of North American horseraces? Discuss!
>>>

>> How can there be any talk of world record times in the US when all
>> races using the Teletimer system are done with a rolling start?
>
> IMHO Secretariat's world record at Belmont should be downgraded to track
> record.
>

> Cheers,
> G-Man
it IS THE WORLD's RECORD ON DIRT...a large portion of the world still
runs on dirt

30 Nov 2006 00:49:39
Danzig
Red all alone on top

G-Man wrote:

> IMHO Secretariat's world record at Belmont should be downgraded to track
> record.
>

> Cheers,
> G-Man
no horse has run like him since the twenties. NO HORSE and that includes
the likes of Ribot and Phar Lap

30 Nov 2006 00:50:14
Danzig
Re: Red all alone on top

Danzig wrote:
> G-Man wrote:
>>
>> IMHO Secretariat's world record at Belmont should be downgraded to
>> track record.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> G-Man
> no horse has run like him since the twenties. NO HORSE and that includes
> the likes of Ribot and Phar Lap
take that back Dr. Fager ran LIKE him, just not as far

29 Nov 2006 21:16:10
Jimbo
Re: Teletimer

"G-Man" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Jimbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "G-Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>>
>>> "G-Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]

>>> IMHO Secretariat's world record at Belmont should be downgraded to track
>>> record.
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> G-Man
>>
>> Horses have gone faster than 2:24 on the grass.............
>
> If you say so.
>
> Cheers,
>
> G-Man

Hawkster ran 2:22 and change on the grasss......late 80's in California

30 Nov 2006 09:20:24
G-Man
Re: Teletimer

"Danzig" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> G-Man wrote:
>>
>> "G-Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>>
>>> "G-Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]
>>>>

>>> How can there be any talk of world record times in the US when all races
>>> using the Teletimer system are done with a rolling start?
>>
>> IMHO Secretariat's world record at Belmont should be downgraded to track
>> record.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> G-Man
> it IS THE WORLD's RECORD ON DIRT...a large portion of the world still runs
> on dirt

What has that got to do with the accuracy of the timing?

Cheers,
G-Man

30 Nov 2006 09:21:53
G-Man
Re: Teletimer

"Danzig" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> G-Man wrote:
>>
>> IMHO Secretariat's world record at Belmont should be downgraded to track
>> record.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> G-Man
> no horse has run like him since the twenties. NO HORSE and that includes
> the likes of Ribot and Phar Lap

This is completely irrelevant to the thread.

Cheers,
G-Man

01 Dec 2006 09:34:11
G-Man
Re: Teletimer

"G-Man" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "G-Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> How accurate are the timings of North American horseraces? Discuss!
>>

> How can there be any talk of world record times in the US when all races
> using the Teletimer system are done with a rolling start?

In the US, there are poles located precisely round the track every 1/16 of a
mile. These poles give out infrared beams that cross the track.
These "infrared poles" are connected to the timer.
Unfortunately, the starting stalls (gate) is not connected to the timer. The
gate may be set "only" 10 feet back from the first pole or, in some cases,
60 or 70 feet back. However, the gate is usually between 30 to 50 feet
behind the first pole and that space is called the "run up" distance.

When the horses are released from the gate they run up to the pole. Once the
horses are running, the first horse to cut the beam starts the clock. This
is a running start.

Why is it done this way? It's not even consistent, with a run up of anywhere
up to 70 feet. In the UK all timings are from a standing start and it's the
same in all athletics events throughout the world (including the US). Just
imagine if they decided to have 1 foot run up in the Olympic 100 metres in
Barcelona and then a 10 feet run up in Athens!

Cheers,
G-Man

02 Dec 2006 20:05:45
G-Man
Re: Teletimer

"G-Man" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "G-Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "G-Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> How accurate are the timings of North American horseraces? Discuss!
>>>

>> How can there be any talk of world record times in the US when all races
>> using the Teletimer system are done with a rolling start?
>

> In the US, there are poles located precisely round the track every 1/16 of
> a mile. These poles give out infrared beams that cross the track.
> These "infrared poles" are connected to the timer.
> Unfortunately, the starting stalls (gate) is not connected to the timer.
> The gate may be set "only" 10 feet back from the first pole or, in some
> cases, 60 or 70 feet back. However, the gate is usually between 30 to 50
> feet behind the first pole and that space is called the "run up" distance.
>
> When the horses are released from the gate they run up to the pole. Once
> the horses are running, the first horse to cut the beam starts the clock.
> This is a running start.
>
> Why is it done this way? It's not even consistent, with a run up of
> anywhere up to 70 feet.

Can anyone confirm whether this is correct - or am I trying to wind people
up?

Cheers,
G-Man