29 Oct 2003 02:17:15
lsj7
The Burning Bush..ot

We may not have racing wagering if this guy and his buddies get there way

copied and pasted........

The news has erupted among blogs today, and certainly points to a sinister
intent on the part of the White House web site through its ROBOTS.TXT file,
which now blocks Google and other search engines from recording and creating
cache copies of web pages in directories labeled "Iraq." (Also I notice
disallowed directories include ones relating to "911 response.") As Google
re-spiders the web, it will no longer "find" these pages, and their own
cache
will be dumped.

Curiously, the Whitehouse.gov site's own search engine does not exclude Iraq
directories, so if you go to their site you can find these pages, but if you
were searching for information elsewhere on the web - or wanted to compare
Google-cached files with the live site's pages to see if text has been
altered
- you would be prevented from doing so.

Perhaps this is a violation of the Freedom of Information Act? In any
event,
it appears the White House is trying to hide something. It will be very
interesting to see how mainstream press picks up on this, since this follows
the recent editing and censoring of pages on other gov't web sites.

http://www.bway.net/~keith/whrobots/(less partisan technical explanation)
http://www.democrats.org/blog/display/00010130.html

A link to the file in question on the Whitehouse Web site:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/robots.txt

--
lsj7

It may be true that you can't fool all the people all the time, but you can
fool
enough of them to rule a large country.
________will durant

30 Oct 2003 00:54:02
lostinspace
Re: The Burning Bush..ot

> We may not have racing wagering if this guy and his buddies get there way
>
> copied and pasted........
>
> The news has erupted among blogs today, and certainly points to a sinister
> intent on the part of the White House web site through its ROBOTS.TXT
file,
> which now blocks Google and other search engines from recording and
creating
> cache copies of web pages in directories labeled "Iraq." (Also I notice
> disallowed directories include ones relating to "911 response.") As
Google
> re-spiders the web, it will no longer "find" these pages, and their own
> cache
> will be dumped.
>
> Curiously, the Whitehouse.gov site's own search engine does not exclude
Iraq
> directories, so if you go to their site you can find these pages, but if
you
> were searching for information elsewhere on the web - or wanted to compare
> Google-cached files with the live site's pages to see if text has been
> altered
> - you would be prevented from doing so.
>
> Perhaps this is a violation of the Freedom of Information Act? In any
> event,
> it appears the White House is trying to hide something. It will be very
> interesting to see how mainstream press picks up on this, since this
follows
> the recent editing and censoring of pages on other gov't web sites.
>
> http ://www.bway.net/~keith/whrobots/ (less partisan technical
explanation)
> http ://www.democrats.org/blog/display/00010130.html
>
> A link to the file in question on the Whitehouse Web site:
> http ://www.whitehouse.gov/robots.txt
>

> --
> lsj7
>
> It may be true that you can't fool all the people all the time, but you
can
> fool
> enough of them to rule a large country.
> ________will durant

Perhaps, before you go spreading this bullshit all over the interent?
You should spend some time learning if what your suggesting is possible?

Robots.txt, blocks NOTHING, it merely suggests places not to visit within a
website.

The Google spidering cache has a mighty appetite and rarely disreagrs
no-cache requests implemented within the html content of a webpage by that
pages' designer.

BTW attaching a quote of Will Durant such nonsense as you have presented
surely discredit his honorbale name?

Why not do something useful with your time and pass some more bullshit
information onto those who believe without undertsanding or researching?
http://www.vmyths.com/

30 Oct 2003 02:42:46
Pops
Re: The Burning Bush..ot

"lostinspace" < wrote in

kick his ass lsj...that insulting piece of shit only shows up for
PROPAGANDA!!!

Pops

29 Oct 2003 20:49:23
lsj7
Re: The Burning Bush..ot

lostinspace wrote:
> [...]

If you can read please note my personal comments and my comments "copied
and pasted....". I offered no comments on the article itself. I am no
expert but I can read and what you say does not agree with the things I have
read from experts on this issue. Writing a simple archiver to track
changes on the site ignoring robot directives could be done I have heard-
but I can't- can you? Anyway, if things can be changed then that opens
debate, later in history, to which archive is in fact true.
http://weblog.siliconvalley.com/column/dangillmor/archives/001450.shtml

http://sethf.com/infothought/blog/archives/000455.html

http://shock-awe.info/archive/000965.php

So stick your myth site up your ass. As for your remark about Will Durant,
I would be surprised if you have ever read any of his or Ariel's works,
although you may have heard the name. As for your remark about research, I
do my homework and it is clear to me you do not. I think that government
getting into the business of internet legislation is a threat--and a threat
to internet gambling. This is just another example of government tinkering
with the internet and your freedom and mine. Any time Big Brother sticks
his nose here in Cyber Space any one with a keyboard in front of them should
be aware of it. In that respect, although I clearly posted this message as
OT-it is in the interest of us all to know how things are going and in what
direction things are moving as regards our on-line interests. I do not have
to remind you of the lobbying efforts by some to make internet gambling
illegal and those are the same people fiddling around with Iraqi
"revisionist history". and you want to trust them? Well then, knock
yourself out Buster- I won't.

borrowed from a friend:

" PS: As for the other, don't you find it ironic that the
party of "get the government off our backs" is now the party
of "trust us, we are from the government ?

The double standards you guys spout are a wonder to behold.

_________________Mitchell Holman "

--
lsj7

It may be true that you can't fool all the people all the time, but you
can fool enough of them to rule a large country.
________will durant

30 Oct 2003 12:37:24
lostinspace
Re: The Burning Bush..ot

> [...]
> > You should spend some time learning if what your suggesting is possible?
> >
> > Robots.txt, blocks NOTHING, it merely suggests places not to visit
within
> > website.
> >
> > The Google spidering cache has a mighty appetite and rarely disreagrs
> > no-cache requests implemented within the html content of a webpage by
that
> > pages' designer.
> >

> > BTW attaching a quote of Will Durant such nonsense as you have
presented
> > surely discredit his honorbale name?
> >
> > Why not do something useful with your time and pass some more bullshit
> > information onto those who believe without undertsanding or researching?
> > http://www.vmyths.com/
> >
> kick his ass lsj...that insulting piece of shit only shows up for

Pops,
Now is that a fair attitiude to take against the guy whom advised
you on how to change your email referecne to "Pops?"

30 Oct 2003 13:25:38
lostinspace
Re: The Burning Bush..ot

> [...]
have
> to remind you of the lobbying efforts by some to make internet gambling
> illegal and those are the same people fiddling around with Iraqi
> "revisionist history". and you want to trust them? Well then, knock
> yourself out Buster- I won't.
>

> borrowed from a friend:
>
> " PS: As for the other, don't you find it ironic that the
> party of "get the government off our backs" is now the party
> of "trust us, we are from the government ?
>
> The double standards you guys spout are a wonder to behold.
>
> _________________Mitchell Holman "
>
> --
> lsj7
>
> It may be true that you can't fool all the people all the time, but you
> can fool enough of them to rule a large country.
> ________will durant

http ://weblog.siliconvalley.com/column/dangillmor/archives/001450.shtml
"Either way, the blocking of search engines is a bad idea, and fundamentally
an abuse of the public trust."

In the fourth paragraph from the link you provided previously provides an
insight into the authors depth in regards to both SE's and websites?
The nonsense he provides in the above line ends my reading of his garbage.

There are many more malicious and non-robot compliant bots and even more
bots and spiders which don't even bother to read robots before attempting to
ravage websites than there are legitimate SE's which can prove beneficial to
a website.
You might try some reading on "htaccess" which offers some very extended
capabilities on denying visitors based on many things.

There are even bots which steal the resources of a website while selling
that data to third parties without compensation to the party they are
stealing from.

There are so many new bots appearing daily or even rejuvenation and renaming
of old bots that the deceptions are endless.
http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum13/687.htm?highlight=perfect+ban

You are correct I've never read a word of Durant.

BTW the GSA was doing some big crawls a while back and I have them denied.
Along with a few other agencies.
It's a bit far fetched to believe that our US government is capable of
implement regional laws across the entire internet?
Might you have any idea how they would monitor website traffic and
transactions and of the potential expense of such an endeavor?
All this ranting of the potential of the US governments internet plans is a
phallacy.

There are many software's which track changes in webpages.
One in the very Internet Explorer 6.0 you are using.
1) Open any webpage
2) Favorites/ Add to Favorites
3) Make Available offline
4) Customize
5) Next
6) Yes
7) Select the number of pages in the directory structure below the main page
8) Next
9) I would like to create a new schedule
10) Next
11) set up schedule
etc.etc.

BTW these options leave a sort of signature in the User Agent of the visitor
logs at websites, which may get you denied access to some websites.

In addition there are many Freeware and open-source bots and even link
validators which may be freely downloaded. Most of these tools are used by
rogue visitors with no intent of being beneficial to the website they are
visiting and there is little difference between this type of visitor and the
commercial visitor which sells data to a third party.

In summary, the internet as related to robots spidering the internet and
websites is a quite complicated issue of which the majority of folks active
on the internet haven't a clue.

In closing,
I would like to add and apologize that in my haste to NOT
read garbage I did overlook your 1st line comment.

31 Oct 2003 23:53:54
Pops
Re: The Burning Bush..ot

> > kick his ass lsj...that insulting piece of shit only shows up for
> > PROPAGANDA!!!
> >
> > Pops
> >

> Pops,
> Now is that a fair attitiude to take against the guy whom
advised
> you on how to change your email referecne to "Pops?"

lostinspace

Just goes to show there is good and bad in all of us. I thought you came on
pretty stong to lsj when he, I believe, was trying to point out what is
"possible" and perhaps dangerous

The cold print may not , as has been said many times, do justice to the
discussion of issues.

Thanks for your help in the past.

Pops