01 Sep 2005 09:06:32
The Horror on the gulf coast

I realize this is off topic but if anyone wants to contribute to the
relief effort, I would recommend going to www.mercycorps.org.
Their web site states that 92% goes to relief and only 8% to
adminstrative costs.
If the site is correct it's a very efficient organization.
Joe

01 Sep 2005 16:52:28
fundoc
Re: The Horror on the gulf coast

<[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Their web site states that 92% goes to relief and only 8% to
> adminstrative costs.

> If the site is correct it's a very efficient organization.

No kidding. At NYRA the vig's like 15 %. Eight's a bargain.

01 Sep 2005 14:45:49
ellis_jay

[email protected] wrote:
> I realize this is off topic but if anyone wants to contribute to the
> relief effort, I would recommend going to www.mercycorps.org.
> Their web site states that 92% goes to relief and only 8% to
> adminstrative costs.
> If the site is correct it's a very efficient organization.
> Joe

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/about/help/katrina_cl.html

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/vol/

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/laf/

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/

I hear Fats Domino is missing

Ellis_jay

01 Sep 2005 15:48:46
ellis_jay

fundoc wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>

>> Their web site states that 92% goes to relief and only 8% to
>> adminstrative costs.
>
>> If the site is correct it's a very efficient organization.
>

> No kidding. At NYRA the vig's like 15 %. Eight's a bargain.

I got yer bargain, right here:

http://www.newsfromreality.com/katrina.html

Ellis_jay

01 Sep 2005 14:12:23
Re: The Horror on the gulf coast

>No kidding. At NYRA the vig's like 15 %. Eight's a bargain.

I'm a cynical bastard. Should I place the word "too" at the end of
"bastard"?
The reason why i posted the 'takeout', as you so rightly call it, is
that in the late 60's, 1967??, there was a scandal in Philly involving
a very large charitable organization. The 'Takeout' in that scandal was
over 60%!
It caught my attention.

I will not give a dime to any organization that exceeds 15%.
There are very large organizations that, due to their very size,
require high takeouts.
They are not on my list as charities. I see them as cash cows for the
people that live off them year-round. Ooooops, I mean work for them, of
course.

Joe

01 Sep 2005 14:39:48
Re: The Horror on the gulf coast

Thanks for bringing politics into it so quickly.

01 Sep 2005 19:58:09
ellis_jay

[email protected] wrote:
> Thanks for bringing politics into it so quickly.

Your welcome, Joe. Politics covers the bones of everything, does it not,
Joe? Even NYRA?

Ellis_jay

02 Sep 2005 03:53:40
Re: The Horror on the gulf coast

Just saw a list of the top 3 charities as ranked by percentage of
money that actually goes to help those in need. 1. Salvation
Army(always No. 1) 2. Doctors Without Borders, 100% volunteers. 3.
Christian Childrens Fund, work mostly in 3rd World countries.

02 Sep 2005 06:57:02
ellis_jay

[email protected] wrote:
> Just saw a list of the top 3 charities as ranked by percentage of
> money that actually goes to help those in need. 1. Salvation
> Army(always No. 1) 2. Doctors Without Borders, 100% volunteers. 3.
> Christian Childrens Fund, work mostly in 3rd World countries.

You forgot corporate welfare;

Eli Lilly
KBR
Allahburton
Carlyle Group

"The beat goes on...
the beat goes on..."
______Sonny Bono

Ellis_jay

02 Sep 2005 05:20:59
Re: The Horror on the gulf coast

The Salvation Army quietly goes about it's business. Except at
Christmas ;-)

02 Sep 2005 07:30:29
ellis_jay

[email protected] wrote:
> The Salvation Army quietly goes about it's business. Except at
> Christmas ;-)

.....where Target stores ban them from ring-a-dinging as they stand next to
their Norman Rockwell collection pots. I don't shop at Target for that
reason.

Ellis_jay

02 Sep 2005 09:35:09
ellis_jay

ellis_jay wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> I realize this is off topic but if anyone wants to contribute to the
>> relief effort, I would recommend going to www.mercycorps.org.
>> Their web site states that 92% goes to relief and only 8% to
>> adminstrative costs.
>> If the site is correct it's a very efficient organization.
>> Joe
>
> http://neworleans.craigslist.org/about/help/katrina_cl.html
>

> http://neworleans.craigslist.org/vol/
>
> http://neworleans.craigslist.org/laf/
>
> http://neworleans.craigslist.org/
>
> I hear Fats Domino is missing

http://www.cnewmark.com/

700 club has been removed from list. Reasons are posted on the blog. Maybe
folks think Pat will use the money to finance murder in South America?

Ellis_jay

02 Sep 2005 08:23:48
Re: The Horror on the gulf coast

Not at Christmas last year here!