16 Dec 2006 14:02:14
wolfagain
The Wolf Gives tips for Travelers! Don't be an ASShole! Be Nice!

Example: Never call a maid a "maid" call her 'miss' she's a PERSON!
Tip No. 2 Be real nice to Cabbys! A cab driver can do you a LOT of
good if your in a new town. Ask! Where is the best Motel to stay? Wolf
once asked that to a cab driver in Melbourne Fl. and he took me to a
$12 a night REAL nice Motel at the airport! Serious! Of course that was
in the late 70's. But still a real deal! Be Personable! Your NOT just
another credit card number!! BE NICE!!!!

17 Dec 2006 02:43:06
Re: The Wolf Gives tips for Travelers! Don't be an ASShole! Be Nice!

wolfagain wrote:
> Example: Never call a maid a "maid" call her 'miss' she's a PERSON!
> Tip No. 2 Be real nice to Cabbys! A cab driver can do you a LOT of
> good if your in a new town. Ask! Where is the best Motel to stay? Wolf
> once asked that to a cab driver in Melbourne Fl. and he took me to a
> $12 a night REAL nice Motel at the airport! Serious! Of course that was
> in the late 70's. But still a real deal! Be Personable! Your NOT just
> another credit card number!! BE NICE!!!!

The maid can be helpful in many ways. I have often traveled with a
dog . Rather than expect the maid to enter a room with a dog a and now
person (they will often refuse) I find them early in their
shift,politely explain the situation and they often do my room early
allowing me to be gone all day.Also,if you stay a few days and leave a
few dollars each day you get more towels,etc.
I once drove a taxi in New York. Sometimes I would get a fare from a
hotel to the airport. The doorman would say "Mr.___is a gentleman"
meaning he tipped well. Sometimes I would get fares at an airport. The
skycap would mutter to me about their cheapness. If the destination was
a residence I would simply inform them of the fare, open the trunk and
fold my arms (at that time there was no requirement that a driver handle
any luggage, you simply could not charge for it) If the destination was
a hotel I would inform the doorman abut them. The bellhop had to take
the bags but I learned they tended to sit in the lobby for a while. Word
would get around and everything from room service to cleaning put them
on the bottom of the list.
Here is a nice story about being nice instead of being a jerk:

A few years ago I reserved a room at a three star hotel on priceline
for some ridiculous low price like $15 a night for two nights. I arrived
late at night and a car was blocking the driveway. I went into the lobby
and a couple was screaming at the clerk about how their card guaranteed
a free upgrade. The clerk tried to explain the concept of "availability"
but it did not register. They finally took a room and promised the clerk
he would soon be fired.
The clerk then asked me what type of room I wanted and I said," at
the price I paid anything with a bed will be fine". He told me he just
happened to have a suite. I gave him my business card and said I would
be willing to tell the powers that be about the rude couple. He laughed
and told me was actually the general manager and was filling in due to a
high illness rate. He also gave me coupons for free breakfasts each day.

16 Dec 2006 23:29:19
wolfagain

[email protected] wrote:
> wolfagain wrote:
> > Example: Never call a maid a "maid" call her 'miss' she's a PERSON!
> > Tip No. 2 Be real nice to Cabbys! A cab driver can do you a LOT of
> > good if your in a new town. Ask! Where is the best Motel to stay? Wolf
> > once asked that to a cab driver in Melbourne Fl. and he took me to a
> > $12 a night REAL nice Motel at the airport! Serious! Of course that was
> > in the late 70's. But still a real deal! Be Personable! Your NOT just
> > another credit card number!! BE NICE!!!!
> >

> The maid can be helpful in many ways. I have often traveled with a
> dog . Rather than expect the maid to enter a room with a dog a and now
> person (they will often refuse) I find them early in their
> shift,politely explain the situation and they often do my room early
> allowing me to be gone all day.Also,if you stay a few days and leave a
> few dollars each day you get more towels,etc.
> I once drove a taxi in New York. Sometimes I would get a fare from a
> hotel to the airport. The doorman would say "Mr.___is a gentleman"
> meaning he tipped well. Sometimes I would get fares at an airport. The
> skycap would mutter to me about their cheapness. If the destination was
> a residence I would simply inform them of the fare, open the trunk and
> fold my arms (at that time there was no requirement that a driver handle
> any luggage, you simply could not charge for it) If the destination was
> a hotel I would inform the doorman abut them. The bellhop had to take
> the bags but I learned they tended to sit in the lobby for a while. Word
> would get around and everything from room service to cleaning put them
> on the bottom of the list.
> Here is a nice story about being nice instead of being a jerk:
>
> A few years ago I reserved a room at a three star hotel on priceline
> for some ridiculous low price like $15 a night for two nights. I arrived
> late at night and a car was blocking the driveway. I went into the lobby
> and a couple was screaming at the clerk about how their card guaranteed
> a free upgrade. The clerk tried to explain the concept of "availability"
> but it did not register. They finally took a room and promised the clerk
> he would soon be fired.
> The clerk then asked me what type of room I wanted and I said," at
> the price I paid anything with a bed will be fine". He told me he just
> happened to have a suite. I gave him my business card and said I would
> be willing to tell the powers that be about the rude couple. He laughed
> and told me was actually the general manager and was filling in due to a
> high illness rate. He also gave me coupons for free breakfasts each day.
EXACTLY!!! I never mentioned at that Motel 6 last winter I had a hot
plate and did a lot of cooking. I was about 6-8 blocks from a Publix
market. Never really tried to hide said hot plate but the maids never
said a word to the desk. Also, I really don't need daily maid service.
Only about every 3rd day. When a maid would knock I would inform her i
was OK 'til tomarrow or the next day. I would also tell them exactly
what time i would be out so they could schedule their rounds.

17 Dec 2006 09:49:30
Re: The Wolf Gives tips for Travelers! Don't be an ASShole! Be Nice!

wolf, did you ever stay at that chain (can not remember the name)
where the minimum stay is a week? I hear it is great if you just use the
room for sleeping. Maid service is twice a week unless you pay extra
and the same goes for a phone.
Whenever I go to Reno I stay at a Motel 6. I really get back until 9
p.m. and am up and out for pre-east coast racing breakfast before 8 a.m.
Funny story- A few years ago I had a 4 night reservation at a Motel
6 in Reno at something like $40. Decided to go up a day early and the
cheapest room was a Holiday in at $90. HI charged for HBO and local
calls (this was in the days of roaming charges) while M^ had both at no
extra cost.
I remember the days when M5 took no credit cards, you had to pay 75
cents for a tv key and to guarantee a room you had to call the actual
motel and then either mail a deposit or get there by 4.