16 Apr 2006 18:22:16
John
US Racing

Is there a place on the internet where you can listen to US horse
races live or even see them?

Also where do I find information about the main different courses in
the US for horse racing?

Finally, I have just been to the betfair website where I have
previously had an account that I haven't used for a while. I have got
the account re-activated.

I just have one question about the site, I just wondered what the
"Lay" part of the screen is all about? Is this where you can select
the odds you want and hope that they are matched? Whereas the "Back"
side on the left is where you definitely get those odds? I am slightly
confused on that part of the site. I think it will take me a while to
get used to the decimal odds as well. I have always used fractional
odds in the past.

Cheers

John

16 Apr 2006 14:08:23
MMcC
Re: US Racing

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 18:22:16 +0100, John <[email protected] > wrote:

>Is there a place on the internet where you can listen to US horse
>races live or even see them?

There's a few places where you can watch races online, one of the best
I know is www.youbet.com I believe they have a free 30 day trial.
Some individual tracks show their races live.

You can watch race replays at www.racereplay.com, or at
www.calracing.com site.

>Also where do I find information about the main different courses in
>the US for horse racing?

Why, they're all 1 mile lefthanded ovals ; >

Seriously though, one of the best sites for that information
collectively is AtTheRaces.com, in their course guide section. Ironic,
as it's an English site.

For general info, results, etc on US racing, the Daily Racing Form is
a good site www.drf.com

>Finally, I have just been to the betfair website where I have
>previously had an account that I haven't used for a while. I have got
>the account re-activated.
>
>I just have one question about the site, I just wondered what the
>"Lay" part of the screen is all about? Is this where you can select
>the odds you want and hope that they are matched? Whereas the "Back"
>side on the left is where you definitely get those odds? I am slightly
>confused on that part of the site. I think it will take me a while to
>get used to the decimal odds as well. I have always used fractional
>odds in the past.

Laying is where you are accepting bets.... i.e you are the bookie.

>Cheers
>
>John

16 Apr 2006 20:34:20
G-Man
Re: US Racing

"MMcC" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>>Also where do I find information about the main different courses in
>>the US for horse racing?
>
> Why, they're all 1 mile lefthanded ovals ;>

Crikey are they as big as that?

> Seriously though, one of the best sites for that information
> collectively is AtTheRaces.com, in their course guide section. Ironic,
> as it's an English site.
>
> For general info, results, etc on US racing, the Daily Racing Form is
> a good site www.drf.com
>
>>Finally, I have just been to the betfair website where I have
>>previously had an account that I haven't used for a while. I have got
>>the account re-activated.
>>
>>I just have one question about the site, I just wondered what the
>>"Lay" part of the screen is all about? Is this where you can select
>>the odds you want and hope that they are matched? Whereas the "Back"
>>side on the left is where you definitely get those odds? I am slightly
>>confused on that part of the site. I think it will take me a while to
>>get used to the decimal odds as well. I have always used fractional
>>odds in the past.
>
> Laying is where you are accepting bets.... i.e you are the bookie.

While that is technically correct, if you actually put up a lay that is not
immediately taken, it will appear on the left hand side i.e. the "back"
side, as it is a "back" to everyone else. This is initially very confusing
and the best thing to do is go through the Betfair help files or else buy
the book "Winning on Betfair for Dummies" which is available on Amazon.

Cheers,
G-Man

17 Apr 2006 06:52:31
Danzig
Re: US Racing

John wrote:
> Is there a place on the internet where you can listen to US horse
> races live or even see them?
>
> Also where do I find information about the main different courses in
> the US for horse racing?
>
> Finally, I have just been to the betfair website where I have
> previously had an account that I haven't used for a while. I have got
> the account re-activated.
>
> I just have one question about the site, I just wondered what the
> "Lay" part of the screen is all about? Is this where you can select
> the odds you want and hope that they are matched? Whereas the "Back"
> side on the left is where you definitely get those odds? I am slightly
> confused on that part of the site. I think it will take me a while to
> get used to the decimal odds as well. I have always used fractional
> odds in the past.
>
> Cheers
>
> John

all the tracks can be accessed at
http://www.horse-races.net/library/links-alltracks.htm

Once at their site the links will tel you if they have simulcasting
video or audio. I play tracks and watch the live feed on the computer at
many Woodbine, Stampede, Hawthorne, Fort Erie, Philadelphia Park

17 Apr 2006 07:07:19
Danzig
Re: US Racing

G-Man wrote:
> "MMcC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>> Also where do I find information about the main different courses in
>>> the US for horse racing?
>> Why, they're all 1 mile lefthanded ovals ;>

After the Revolution, many over here did not want a THING like over the
pond and one change was the direction run

Belmont is 12 furlongs around, Kentucky Downs is turf and 1 5/16 miles
around, Arlington, Colonial (10 furlongs) and Hollywood Ellis Park are
all at 9.0 furlongs around as is Saratoga...

Many are smaller than one mile: Fairplex, Hastings, Stampede,
Northlands, Ferndale, Solano (Vallejo), Miles City, Timonium, Manor
Downs, Playfair, Charles town, Les Bois Park, Wyoming Downs, Lethbridge,
many in Arizona, Kamloops, Los Alamitos, Hoosier Park, Anthony Downs,
Eureka Downs, Delta Downs, Evangeline Downs, Great Lake Downs, Atokad,
Columbus, Fonner Park, Ruidoso, Blue Ribbon Downs, Fair Meadows (Tulsa),
Will Rogers Downs, Grants Pass, Sun Downs, Walla Walla, Waitsburg

17 Apr 2006 02:31:50
MMcC
Re: US Racing

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 07:07:19 GMT, Danzig <[email protected] > wrote:

>G-Man wrote:
>> "MMcC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> Why, they're all 1 mile lefthanded ovals ;>
>>

>After the Revolution, many over here did not want a THING like over the
>pond and one change was the direction run

>Belmont is 12 furlongs around, Kentucky Downs is turf and 1 5/16 miles
>around, Arlington, Colonial (10 furlongs) and Hollywood Ellis Park are
>all at 9.0 furlongs around as is Saratoga...

>Many are smaller than one mile: Fairplex, Hastings, Stampede,
>Northlands, Ferndale, Solano (Vallejo), Miles City, Timonium, Manor
>Downs, Playfair, Charles town, Les Bois Park, Wyoming Downs, Lethbridge,
>many in Arizona, Kamloops, Los Alamitos, Hoosier Park, Anthony Downs,
>Eureka Downs, Delta Downs, Evangeline Downs, Great Lake Downs, Atokad,
>Columbus, Fonner Park, Ruidoso, Blue Ribbon Downs, Fair Meadows (Tulsa),
>Will Rogers Downs, Grants Pass, Sun Downs, Walla Walla, Waitsburg

You obviously missed the smiley.

Btw, the run both directions on the right side of the pond. So much
for that theory.

17 Apr 2006 11:22:22
G-Man
Re: US Racing

"MMcC" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 07:07:19 GMT, Danzig <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>G-Man wrote:
>>> "MMcC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]
>>>

>>After the Revolution, many over here did not want a THING like over the
>>pond and one change was the direction run
>
>>Belmont is 12 furlongs around, Kentucky Downs is turf and 1 5/16 miles
>>around, Arlington, Colonial (10 furlongs) and Hollywood Ellis Park are
>>all at 9.0 furlongs around as is Saratoga...
>
>>Many are smaller than one mile: Fairplex, Hastings, Stampede,
>>Northlands, Ferndale, Solano (Vallejo), Miles City, Timonium, Manor
>>Downs, Playfair, Charles town, Les Bois Park, Wyoming Downs, Lethbridge,
>>many in Arizona, Kamloops, Los Alamitos, Hoosier Park, Anthony Downs,
>>Eureka Downs, Delta Downs, Evangeline Downs, Great Lake Downs, Atokad,
>>Columbus, Fonner Park, Ruidoso, Blue Ribbon Downs, Fair Meadows (Tulsa),
>>Will Rogers Downs, Grants Pass, Sun Downs, Walla Walla, Waitsburg
>

> You obviously missed the smiley.

Hi MMcC,
Some horses are very blinkered.

Cheers,
G-Man

17 Apr 2006 15:34:40
John
Re: US Racing

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 06:52:31 GMT, Danzig <[email protected] > wrote:

>John wrote:
>> Is there a place on the internet where you can listen to US horse
>> races live or even see them?
>>
>> Also where do I find information about the main different courses in
>> the US for horse racing?
>>
>> Finally, I have just been to the betfair website where I have
>> previously had an account that I haven't used for a while. I have got
>> the account re-activated.
>>
>> I just have one question about the site, I just wondered what the
>> "Lay" part of the screen is all about? Is this where you can select
>> the odds you want and hope that they are matched? Whereas the "Back"
>> side on the left is where you definitely get those odds? I am slightly
>> confused on that part of the site. I think it will take me a while to
>> get used to the decimal odds as well. I have always used fractional
>> odds in the past.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> John
>>

>all the tracks can be accessed at
>http://www.horse-races.net/library/links-alltracks.htm
>
>Once at their site the links will tel you if they have simulcasting
>video or audio. I play tracks and watch the live feed on the computer at
>many Woodbine, Stampede, Hawthorne, Fort Erie, Philadelphia Park

Thanks. I actually bet on quite a lot of US and a few Canadian races
yesterday and won a fair bit. I had more winners than losers. Two of
my bets though I won by accident.

I had just started using the betfair site and wasn't sure of how
everything works. I though that when you select Lay it was to back
that horse but to wait for those odds to become available, I didn't
realise it was to offer against that horse. I won on two that I put
Lays against yesterday before I found out what a Lay was ;)

Thanks for the link btw. On betfair it doesn't list the full name of
the course so I wasn't sure what the abbreviation stood for.

John

19 Apr 2006 06:14:23
Danzig
Re: US Racing

acks can be accessed at
>> http://www.horse-races.net/library/links-alltracks.htm
>>
>> Once at their site the links will tel you if they have simulcasting
>> video or audio. I play tracks and watch the live feed on the computer at
>> many Woodbine, Stampede, Hawthorne, Fort Erie, Philadelphia Park
>
> Thanks. I actually bet on quite a lot of US and a few Canadian races
> yesterday and won a fair bit. I had more winners than losers. Two of
> my bets though I won by accident.
>
> I had just started using the betfair site and wasn't sure of how
> everything works. I though that when you select Lay it was to back
> that horse but to wait for those odds to become available, I didn't
> realise it was to offer against that horse. I won on two that I put
> Lays against yesterday before I found out what a Lay was ;)
>
> Thanks for the link btw. On betfair it doesn't list the full name of
> the course so I wasn't sure what the abbreviation stood for.
>
> John

LAY???? always thought was sexual relief or a circle of flowers they
give you in Hawaii

19 Apr 2006 09:56:47
G-Man
Re: US Racing

"Danzig" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> acks can be accessed at
>>> http://www.horse-races.net/library/links-alltracks.htm
>>>
>>> Once at their site the links will tel you if they have simulcasting
>>> video or audio. I play tracks and watch the live feed on the computer at
>>> many Woodbine, Stampede, Hawthorne, Fort Erie, Philadelphia Park
>>
>> Thanks. I actually bet on quite a lot of US and a few Canadian races
>> yesterday and won a fair bit. I had more winners than losers. Two of
>> my bets though I won by accident. I had just started using the betfair
>> site and wasn't sure of how
>> everything works. I though that when you select Lay it was to back
>> that horse but to wait for those odds to become available, I didn't
>> realise it was to offer against that horse. I won on two that I put
>> Lays against yesterday before I found out what a Lay was ;)
>>
>> Thanks for the link btw. On betfair it doesn't list the full name of
>> the course so I wasn't sure what the abbreviation stood for.
>>
>> John
>>

> LAY???? always thought was sexual relief or a circle of flowers they give
> you in Hawaii

That's what happens when you are still living in the past.

Cheers,
G-Man