26 Nov 2006 22:53:18
Von Fourche
Where to Find Info?

My favorite gambling site now offers horse betting on certain tracks in
the U.S. If I start betting on horse races on the net will I have to buy
Daily Racing Form every time? Is there any decent free information out
there?

I've read two books on horse racing. Both devote a lot of pages to
reading and understanding the Daily Racing Form. What makes me upset tho is
that this information is not free. What's the deal? If you're a baseball
fan you can find tons of stats for free on the net. Same for football and
basketball. But horse racing? You have to buy the DRF. Isn't there any
free info out there that's almost as good?

As for the DRF - I bought one race card last night off their site. It
was for Hollywood Park. Right after the length of the race they have
symbols that I am unfamiliar with - a T in a circle (I know that mean turf).
What about an "A" in a diamond and an "X" in a circle?

Thanks!

26 Nov 2006 18:00:05
Gen Buck Turgidson
Re: Where to Find Info?

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:53:18 GMT, "Von Fourche"
<[email protected] > wrote:

> My favorite gambling site now offers horse betting on certain tracks in
>the U.S. If I start betting on horse races on the net will I have to buy
>Daily Racing Form every time? Is there any decent free information out
>there?

You can get the DRF for about $1 if you work it right. Without it,
there's no way you can thoroughly handicap a race. Here's a link to
the DRF website that has a tutorial on how to use it.

http://www.drf.com/help/help_drf_pp.html

Good luck!

Gen Buck

26 Nov 2006 18:30:02
Gen Buck Turgidson
Re: Where to Find Info?

On 26 Nov 2006 18:00:05 -0600, Gen Buck Turgidson <[email protected] > wrote:

>You can get the DRF for about $1 if you work it right. Without it,
>there's no way you can thoroughly handicap a race. Here's a link to
>the DRF website that has a tutorial on how to use it.
>
>http://www.drf.com/help/help_drf_pp.html
>
>Good luck!
>
>Gen Buck

Also, if you download this .pdf file and go to page 12, there's a
detailed explanation for all the symbols found in the DRF.

http://www.drf.com/help/help_drf_pp.html

27 Nov 2006 01:56:12
Von Fourche
Re: Where to Find Info?

"Gen Buck Turgidson" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:53:18 GMT, "Von Fourche"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> My favorite gambling site now offers horse betting on certain tracks
>> in
>>the U.S. If I start betting on horse races on the net will I have to buy
>>Daily Racing Form every time? Is there any decent free information out
>>there?
>
> You can get the DRF for about $1 if you work it right. Without it,
> there's no way you can thoroughly handicap a race. Here's a link to
> the DRF website that has a tutorial on how to use it.
>
> http://www.drf.com/help/help_drf_pp.html

Are there any free sites have the results of the races for most of the
tracks?

26 Nov 2006 20:43:01
Gen Buck Turgidson
Re: Where to Find Info?

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 01:56:12 GMT, "Von Fourche"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>Are there any free sites have the results of the races for most of the
>tracks?

You can get all the free results you want at the DRF site:

http://www.drf.com/results/rindex.html

You can also get .pdf "charts" with detailed information regarding the
results here:

http://www.drf.com/drfPDFCharts.do

This is not the same as Past Performances, which you will need if you
want to play the ponies.

http://www.drf.com/drfPastPerformance.do

26 Nov 2006 21:52:54
Dog
Re: Where to Find Info?

Von Fourche wrote:

> Are there any free sites have the results of the races for most of the
> tracks?

http://www.drf.com/results/rindex.html

28 Nov 2006 17:29:42
ellis_jay
Re: Where to Find Info?

Von Fourche wrote:
> "Gen Buck Turgidson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:53:18 GMT, "Von Fourche"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> My favorite gambling site now offers horse betting on certain
>>> tracks in
>>> the U.S. If I start betting on horse races on the net will I have
>>> to buy Daily Racing Form every time? Is there any decent free
>>> information out there?
>>
>> You can get the DRF for about $1 if you work it right. Without it,
>> there's no way you can thoroughly handicap a race. Here's a link to
>> the DRF website that has a tutorial on how to use it.
>>
>> http://www.drf.com/help/help_drf_pp.html
>

> Are there any free sites have the results of the races for most
> of the tracks?

www.equibase.com
free results charts offered in various packages.

___Sador the carpenter to Turin
Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

Ellis_Jay

26 Dec 2006 12:32:43
Uber_Micro
Re: Where to Find Info?

"Von Fourche" <[email protected] > writes:

> My favorite gambling site now offers horse betting on certain
> tracks in the U.S. If I start betting on horse races on the net
> will I have to buy Daily Racing Form every time? Is there any
> decent free information out there?
>
> I've read two books on horse racing. Both devote a lot of pages
> to reading and understanding the Daily Racing Form. What makes me
> upset tho is that this information is not free. What's the deal?
> If you're a baseball fan you can find tons of stats for free on the
> net. Same for football and basketball. But horse racing? You have
> to buy the DRF. Isn't there any free info out there that's almost
> as good?
>
> As for the DRF - I bought one race card last night off their
> site. It was for Hollywood Park. Right after the length of the
> race they have symbols that I am unfamiliar with - a T in a circle
> (I know that mean turf). What about an "A" in a diamond and an "X"
> in a circle?
>
> Thanks!

As i see it there is only a _very_ narrow window of play where the
cost of the drf is going to be a considerable issue. At first you are
more than likely going to lose far more in wagers then on data
costs*. At sometime after that you will start being able to break even
over the course of a week or so of play. Now you have the problem of
spending time playing horses that you could be using to make money
otherways. Once you can make any money consitently you can more or
less null out the price of drf/gas/entrence by proper bankroll
managment.

* I don't recommend you play with ANY money until you can show to
yourself on paper that you have an advantage on the game (i.e. you
win more than you lose at good odds). You should have you spread
sheets all fired up. This isn't like poker you can more or less
prove your ability of play without spending anything more than for
the data.

--

3.5 Billion Years of Evolution can't be wrong.

AD: WILL CODE FOR DATA!
I will code for your computer your capping
system or verify your capping system
in exchange for PPs!

Always Interested in finding other math-minded players.
Feel free to email uber_micro at husmail.com.