31 Dec 2005 12:44:52
Mike
from the Washington Post To Our Readers on horse racing

To Our Readers
Saturday, December 31, 2005; E08
Beginning Sunday, The Washington Post Sports section will no longer
publish daily statistical horse racing information from our local
tracks. The drop in popularity in the sport and the need to cover new
teams in the area, such as the Washington Nationals, have forced us to
make this difficult decision. However, we will continue to cover the
sport as before with Andrew Beyer and John Scheinman. In surveys, our
readers have told us that horse racing ranks at the bottom of sports in
which they are interested. Meantime, other sports and teams have been
of growing interest to readers. Not only have the Nationals arrived,
but we have emerging powers in men's and women's college basketball
with large fan bases that need to be served. We will continue to try to
serve the greatest number of readers possible.
Results and entries for races at Laurel are available at
http://www.laurelpark.com.
Sports Editor

02 Jan 2006 13:00:43
byrdman
Re: from the Washington Post To Our Readers on horse racing

I understand that prior to the 1950's there were only three sports that
got any significant coverage in the sports section of the newspapers:
Baseball, boxing, and horse racing. Results from the local track would
often make the front page of the section. How the mighty have fallen!

Of course, with the Internet and other sources, readers are not looking
to newspapers like they used to. And certainly interest in horse
racing among the general public has declined. In addition, the Post
covers Maryland racing, which is sinking rapidly out of sight
altogether. As a Maryland resident, who has attended every Preaknesss
but one since 1977 (and also was present in 1973 for Secretariat's
victory), I can only hope that somehow the Preakness stays in Maryland
for at least a few more years.

byrdman