27 Dec 2005 08:56:22
opening day

So one of my Christmas presents was a Day At The Races!
Oh Boy! Opening day at Bay Meadows.

Off we went, traveling north on 101, hoping to arrive in time for the
3rd race.
Got there in plenty of time.
$4 general parking, $12 for the two of us to get into the Clubhouse,
only to arrive at the inside counter to find NO FORMS! "What in
Hell?" I snarl! "Opening Day and out of Forms?".
The poor guy behind the counter said his boss was out at the local
liquor stores rounding up Forms and would be back as soon as he could
with whatever he found.
I wanted to have the "Boss" there so I could see if my hands would
fit around his neck so my thumbs could apply pressure to his windpipe.

Ah well, I had at least downloaded 1 (One) printout of the Bay Meadows
Card but I knew there was going to be domestic strife. The "House
Handicapper" takes a lot of time to handicap a race and I would have
to wait until she was finished with a sheet before I could get my hands
on the current race to make my final guesses.

Up we go to the Clubhouse. Decent crowd so we sat at a corner table but
with the only light bulb directed on our table blown out. Hmmm, OK. We
arrived late so we take what we can get.

We pass the 3rd because it looks like another Baze-Hollendorfer
betterment race and I say, "I'm off to the bar, do you want
anything"? "Yes", Marie says, "I'll have a soda".
No bartender. No bottles. No nuthin!

OK, I'll wander back to the table and start handicapping the 4th as
soon as she's finished with the first sheet and then go around the
corner to the other bar and fill our orders.
No bartender. No bottles. No nuthin!
There is a snack stand at the left of the machines but the line snakes
out to damned near the IRS window!
Pass.

Comes the 5th and we are getting a little peckish so rather than
waiting for the first sheet I say, "I'm going down to the Paddock
bar and get some sandwiches and drinks and I'll be back in time for
the race".
The bar has bartenders, bottles and beer but NO FOOD!
PISSED is what I am at this time.
Hand stamp, cross the space to enter the Grandstand area and look for
FOOD!
Lines and more lines.
To hell with it. Back to the Clubhouse and handicap the next races.

We had a decent day with betting on the horses.

There is one silver lining to the whole day and that is;
We would like to thank the management of Bay Meadows Race Track for not
allowing Marie and I to indulge in any high cholesterol, fattening
sandwiches and I am particularly grateful for their not allowing me to
do any more damage to my liver, Alcohol-wise.
My blood pressure is a different matter.
Joe

27 Dec 2005 17:50:10
Re: opening day

This was the first time in years that I did not bring my food with me
( I regularly violate that rule and the first time they do anything will
be my last visit there).
Not only were the lines long, the clubhouse snack bar had one worker
dealing with customers. She had to take orders,make change, pour drinks.
serve dogs and chips, walk orders to the cook and hand them out when
they were ready.
As you noted, same at the grandstand. I went to the upper grandstand
and only one of five stands was even open. Finally went to the gift shop
and got a bag of chips and a candy bar.
One more thing, the peanut machine gave out three peanuts for 25 cents.

27 Dec 2005 15:22:42
Re: opening day

>One more thing, the peanut machine gave out three peanuts for 25 cents

Christ! That is the topper isn't it?

What baffles me about the lack of bartenders and closed bars is; they
are ultimately profit centers aren't they????
What lousy management.
Joe

27 Dec 2005 15:22:59
Re: opening day

>One more thing, the peanut machine gave out three peanuts for 25 cents

Christ! That is the topper isn't it?

What baffles me about the lack of bartenders and closed bars is; they
are ultimately profit centers aren't they????
What lousy management.
Joe

27 Dec 2005 15:23:39
Re: opening day

>One more thing, the peanut machine gave out three peanuts for 25 cents

Christ! That is the topper isn't it?

What baffles me about the lack of bartenders and closed bars is; they
are ultimately profit centers aren't they????
What lousy management.
Joe

27 Dec 2005 23:26:25
Danzig
Re: opening day

ah what a great place it used to be: took the train there and had box
e-9 (right at the point where the grandstands meet the clubhouse: you
could SIT and still see the entire race even if the clowns below you
stood up).

27 Dec 2005 16:31:05
Re: opening day

My three postings of the same article is also baffling.
How did I do that?
Sorry.
Joe

28 Dec 2005 03:01:05
Re: opening day

[email protected] wrote:
>> One more thing, the peanut machine gave out three peanuts for 25 cents
>
> Christ! That is the topper isn't it?
>
> What baffles me about the lack of bartenders and closed bars is; they
> are ultimately profit centers aren't they????
> What lousy management.
> Joe

My guess is a bean counter decided to save the overtime money but
keeping one bar closed on a holiday. They worked on the faulty
assumption that enough people would go to the main bar to offset those
who decoded it was not worth the wait.

28 Dec 2005 03:03:12
Re: opening day

Danzig wrote:
> ah what a great place it used to be: took the train there and had box
> e-9 (right at the point where the grandstands meet the clubhouse: you
> could SIT and still see the entire race even if the clowns below you
> stood up).

Remember the days when you called up a few days ahead of time to
reserve a seat for Saturday?
Even ten years ago you paid $3 extra for the clubhouse dining room.
Even with only two people I would buy a 4 person table. Now that area is
free.

30 Dec 2005 12:34:46
wolfagain
Re: opening day

...hence came net waggering! And the track goes dark! Just going to GP
when I'm in Hollywood area I'm 'down' about $12 before I make my 1st
bet! Instead, last year I'd go to the Broward library and use their
computers to access my bris account. Seemed kinda strange as I was only
3 miles from the track.