21 Jan 2004 16:15:51
Nate
News from Thirlwall

Spoke with Jeff today, here's some random issues we discussed...

1. Regions will be exactly the same as last year. ZERO changes to
that.

2. Cameras will still only be used for NAC - and only during playoffs.

3. The shot cap issue has been argued every which way, and the members
have made a strong enough case to either raise the cap - or get rid of
it. He has not made up his mind what he will do yet, but it appears he
will make a change this year. Adjustments to this rule will be out by
the end of the month.

4. Regional dates were adjusted based on Father's Day. (11th-13th)

5. He really wanted NAC in London, but it didn't work out for a few
different reasons - including parking and small front of house.

6. There will not be (and hasn't been) any new equipment for regional
or NAC centers. They will send tech people in early and work on the
equipment, but no new stuff.

7. The "Error Reading Key" issue has been addressed with the head tech
guy - Tom, from Threshold. It appears that faulty key-fobs are causing
this problem, and they will be upgraded for NAC and regionals. (cool!)

8. The website will be updated to include current non-corporate
sanctioned tournaments. Out with the old, as it were.

9. The website will also have all information pertaining to stats and
outcomes of these non-corporate tournaments. Jeff will need the
cooperation of members like Frozen Shade for stats pertaining to each
of these tournaments.

10. The website will also have the scores of the nationally ranked
games that LQ has introduced as a part of its "Players Club" program -
which is replacing the "Member's Matter" program. This national game
is a game that every center will be required to play on member's
night, amoungst other members-choice games, and the scores will be
sent to Jeff to post on the website.

11. The Players Club includes:
-Raised prices for new membership to $25
-Raised renewal prices to $15
-One free game with renewal, plus another free game on your
birthday.
-Two $5.00/off coupons for lockins
-Nationally ranked game
-New Player's Club card

12. Jeff agrees that it is somewhat important to rotate the regional
centers, as it appears more and more people are getting upset about
playing the same centers. He said that logistics sometimes get in the
way and there are some centers who may never get a tournament. He also
mentioned it was most difficult for the west - since it's so spread
out. Phoenix was talked about as a possible location this year, as was
Spokane and Federal Way. These cites will be seriously considered in
the future.

13. Jeff may or may not attend regionals this year - he's not sure
yet.

Jeff's the man.

0 0 7

21 Jan 2004 18:54:49
Xuvios
Re: News from Thirlwall

> 3. The shot cap issue has been argued every which way, and the members
> have made a strong enough case to either raise the cap - or get rid of
> it. He has not made up his mind what he will do yet, but it appears he
> will make a change this year. Adjustments to this rule will be out by
> the end of the month.

Weak....

~X~

"Nate" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Spoke with Jeff today, here's some random issues we discussed...
>

> 1. Regions will be exactly the same as last year. ZERO changes to
> that.
>
> 2. Cameras will still only be used for NAC - and only during playoffs.
>
> 3. The shot cap issue has been argued every which way, and the members
> have made a strong enough case to either raise the cap - or get rid of
> it. He has not made up his mind what he will do yet, but it appears he
> will make a change this year. Adjustments to this rule will be out by
> the end of the month.
>
> 4. Regional dates were adjusted based on Father's Day. (11th-13th)
>
> 5. He really wanted NAC in London, but it didn't work out for a few
> different reasons - including parking and small front of house.
>
> 6. There will not be (and hasn't been) any new equipment for regional
> or NAC centers. They will send tech people in early and work on the
> equipment, but no new stuff.
>
> 7. The "Error Reading Key" issue has been addressed with the head tech
> guy - Tom, from Threshold. It appears that faulty key-fobs are causing
> this problem, and they will be upgraded for NAC and regionals. (cool!)
>
> 8. The website will be updated to include current non-corporate
> sanctioned tournaments. Out with the old, as it were.
>
> 9. The website will also have all information pertaining to stats and
> outcomes of these non-corporate tournaments. Jeff will need the
> cooperation of members like Frozen Shade for stats pertaining to each
> of these tournaments.
>
> 10. The website will also have the scores of the nationally ranked
> games that LQ has introduced as a part of its "Players Club" program -
> which is replacing the "Member's Matter" program. This national game
> is a game that every center will be required to play on member's
> night, amoungst other members-choice games, and the scores will be
> sent to Jeff to post on the website.
>
> 11. The Players Club includes:
> -Raised prices for new membership to $25
> -Raised renewal prices to $15
> -One free game with renewal, plus another free game on your
> birthday.
> -Two $5.00/off coupons for lockins
> -Nationally ranked game
> -New Player's Club card
>
> 12. Jeff agrees that it is somewhat important to rotate the regional
> centers, as it appears more and more people are getting upset about
> playing the same centers. He said that logistics sometimes get in the
> way and there are some centers who may never get a tournament. He also
> mentioned it was most difficult for the west - since it's so spread
> out. Phoenix was talked about as a possible location this year, as was
> Spokane and Federal Way. These cites will be seriously considered in
> the future.
>
> 13. Jeff may or may not attend regionals this year - he's not sure
> yet.
>

> Jeff's the man.
>

> 0 0 7

21 Jan 2004 20:25:26
Frozen Shade
Re: News from Thirlwall

"Nate" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Spoke with Jeff today, here's some random issues we discussed...

> 9. The website will also have all information pertaining to stats and
> outcomes of these non-corporate tournaments. Jeff will need the
> cooperation of members like Frozen Shade for stats pertaining to each
> of these tournaments.

> 0 0 7

Cool!

I'll do as much as I can.

I propose the following "stats committee": Malice, Dark Angel, Sid, Jester,
and Elven (and/or whoever it is that's been hooking me up from the North -
Citizen maybe? Haven't looked at those e-mails recently. This would be a
good start, anyway. Everyone knows the affinity for facts and figures that
Malice and I have; Dark Angel's working on scanning scorecards and software
to read the info, and Sid and Jester (plus others helping them, like Gump,
etc) seem to be our best option for software engineering.

Right now, the most efficient method we have is spreadsheets, but I haven't
met enough people LQ good enough with spreadsheets to produce accurate (100%
accurate is important!!!) and quickly and easily analyze stats. Maybe
Malice, he seems to spit this stuff out as fast or faster than I can
sometimes. (And that Prometheus deal has got to be a bitch to track!)
Anyone who wants to know anything about Excel, let me know. (hint: if you
don't regularly use the VLOOKUP command, you're still a beginner). I thought
I could do it all myself, but as you can see from my site, updates have been
slow or non-existent. Working out is taking up too much of my time.

I will start making some spreadsheet tutorials for my site. I need help of
the community - unless I get paid for it so I can quit my job, I can't
manage all North American LQ stats by myself.

My main concern is that we can't just half-ass any more it on collecting
team score sheets from tournaments. If you miss *one*, the whole
tournament's statistics are essentially useless, because you don't have
complete numbers and can't make valid comparisons. We can look at general
stuff, but it's high time we get professional about the information, we've
been doing tournaments for almost 10 years now. Baseball stats from
1876-1885 are spotty if not damned hard to find... lets hope that
generations from now, our "infancy information deficiency" is not much
longer than it already is. Just *save those scorecards!* - we will
eventually have enough people to analyze them and/or have the software that
will do it for us.

Mark
Frozen Shade
LQ Everywhere

21 Jan 2004 22:38:45
WhirlWind;
Re: News from Thirlwall

[email protected] (Nate) wrote in message news:<[email protected] >...
> Spoke with Jeff today, here's some random issues we discussed...
>

> 1. Regions will be exactly the same as last year. ZERO changes to
> that.
>
> 2. Cameras will still only be used for NAC - and only during playoffs.
>
> 3. The shot cap issue has been argued every which way, and the members
> have made a strong enough case to either raise the cap - or get rid of
> it. He has not made up his mind what he will do yet, but it appears he
> will make a change this year. Adjustments to this rule will be out by
> the end of the month.
>
> 4. Regional dates were adjusted based on Father's Day. (11th-13th)
>
> 5. He really wanted NAC in London, but it didn't work out for a few
> different reasons - including parking and small front of house.
>
> 6. There will not be (and hasn't been) any new equipment for regional
> or NAC centers. They will send tech people in early and work on the
> equipment, but no new stuff.
>
> 7. The "Error Reading Key" issue has been addressed with the head tech
> guy - Tom, from Threshold. It appears that faulty key-fobs are causing
> this problem, and they will be upgraded for NAC and regionals. (cool!)
>
> 8. The website will be updated to include current non-corporate
> sanctioned tournaments. Out with the old, as it were.
>
> 9. The website will also have all information pertaining to stats and
> outcomes of these non-corporate tournaments. Jeff will need the
> cooperation of members like Frozen Shade for stats pertaining to each
> of these tournaments.
>
> 10. The website will also have the scores of the nationally ranked
> games that LQ has introduced as a part of its "Players Club" program -
> which is replacing the "Member's Matter" program. This national game
> is a game that every center will be required to play on member's
> night, amoungst other members-choice games, and the scores will be
> sent to Jeff to post on the website.
>
> 11. The Players Club includes:
> -Raised prices for new membership to $25
> -Raised renewal prices to $15
> -One free game with renewal, plus another free game on your
> birthday.
> -Two $5.00/off coupons for lockins
> -Nationally ranked game
> -New Player's Club card
>
> 12. Jeff agrees that it is somewhat important to rotate the regional
> centers, as it appears more and more people are getting upset about
> playing the same centers. He said that logistics sometimes get in the
> way and there are some centers who may never get a tournament. He also
> mentioned it was most difficult for the west - since it's so spread
> out. Phoenix was talked about as a possible location this year, as was
> Spokane and Federal Way. These cites will be seriously considered in
> the future.
>
> 13. Jeff may or may not attend regionals this year - he's not sure
> yet.
>

> Jeff's the man.
>

> 0 0 7

No offense but I've lived in Phoenix for a year before and there is
nothing to do there except start fires...
I Would hate to have to go there for regionals if I was in the west :)

The hit cap thing is a little scary to me... If a player has the worst
pack ever seen by anyone and theres no max... the guy will come out
with like -400
i dunno... what ever majority wants ;)
I'd say just raise the cap to somewhere around 20 tags would be good.

Other than that good stuff!!

22 Jan 2004 07:32:06
ChowYnPhat
Re: News from Thirlwall

shot not hit cap is what nate was talking about. maxing is still there.

chow

"WhirlWind;" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [...]
> > out. Phoenix was talked about as a possible location this year, as was
> > Spokane and Federal Way. These cites will be seriously considered in
> > the future.
> >
> > 13. Jeff may or may not attend regionals this year - he's not sure
> > yet.
> >

> > Jeff's the man.
> >

> > 0 0 7
>
> No offense but I've lived in Phoenix for a year before and there is
> nothing to do there except start fires...
> I Would hate to have to go there for regionals if I was in the west :)
>
> The hit cap thing is a little scary to me... If a player has the worst
> pack ever seen by anyone and theres no max... the guy will come out
> with like -400
> i dunno... what ever majority wants ;)
> I'd say just raise the cap to somewhere around 20 tags would be good.

22 Jan 2004 07:56:17
Nate
Re: News from Thirlwall

> No offense but I've lived in Phoenix for a year before and there is
> nothing to do there except start fires...
> I Would hate to have to go there for regionals if I was in the west :)
>
> The hit cap thing is a little scary to me... If a player has the worst
> pack ever seen by anyone and theres no max... the guy will come out
> with like -400
> i dunno... what ever majority wants ;)
> I'd say just raise the cap to somewhere around 20 tags would be good.
>
> Other than that good stuff!!

I've layed off you when everyone else told you to shut up and called
you names, but DAMN - now I see why!

1. Phoenix is a great fucking city. If you think there's nothing to do
here, you're 100% wrong. Perhaps this is why Phoenix is one of the
fastest growing cities in the US.

2. Who the hell was talking about the hit cap?? I was talking about
the shot cap (you get penalized for evey shot over 800).

0 0 7

22 Jan 2004 08:29:58
*citizen*
Re: News from Thirlwall

Yup, it was me But Elven would be more qualified than me for this job.
He is after all Montréal's stats man. ;)

> I propose the following "stats committee": Malice, Dark Angel, Sid, Jester,
> and Elven (and/or whoever it is that's been hooking me up from the North -
> Citizen maybe? Haven't looked at those e-mails recently. This would be a
> good start, anyway. Everyone knows the affinity for facts and figures that
> Malice and I have; Dark Angel's working on scanning scorecards and software
> to read the info, and Sid and Jester (plus others helping them, like Gump,
> etc) seem to be our best option for software engineering.
>
> Right now, the most efficient method we have is spreadsheets, but I haven't
> met enough people LQ good enough with spreadsheets to produce accurate (100%
> accurate is important!!!) and quickly and easily analyze stats. Maybe
> Malice, he seems to spit this stuff out as fast or faster than I can
> sometimes. (And that Prometheus deal has got to be a bitch to track!)
> Anyone who wants to know anything about Excel, let me know. (hint: if you
> don't regularly use the VLOOKUP command, you're still a beginner). I thought
> I could do it all myself, but as you can see from my site, updates have been
> slow or non-existent. Working out is taking up too much of my time.
>
> I will start making some spreadsheet tutorials for my site. I need help of
> the community - unless I get paid for it so I can quit my job, I can't
> manage all North American LQ stats by myself.
>
> My main concern is that we can't just half-ass any more it on collecting
> team score sheets from tournaments. If you miss *one*, the whole
> tournament's statistics are essentially useless, because you don't have
> complete numbers and can't make valid comparisons. We can look at general
> stuff, but it's high time we get professional about the information, we've
> been doing tournaments for almost 10 years now. Baseball stats from
> 1876-1885 are spotty if not damned hard to find... lets hope that
> generations from now, our "infancy information deficiency" is not much
> longer than it already is. Just *save those scorecards!* - we will
> eventually have enough people to analyze them and/or have the software that
> will do it for us.
>

> Mark
> Frozen Shade
> LQ Everywhere

22 Jan 2004 12:57:49
WhirlWind;
Re: News from Thirlwall

[email protected] (Nate) wrote in message news:<[email protected] >...
> > No offense but I've lived in Phoenix for a year before and there is
> > nothing to do there except start fires...
> > I Would hate to have to go there for regionals if I was in the west :)
> >
> > The hit cap thing is a little scary to me... If a player has the worst
> > pack ever seen by anyone and theres no max... the guy will come out
> > with like -400
> > i dunno... what ever majority wants ;)
> > I'd say just raise the cap to somewhere around 20 tags would be good.
> >
> > Other than that good stuff!!
>
> I've layed off you when everyone else told you to shut up and called
> you names, but DAMN - now I see why!
>
> 1. Phoenix is a great fucking city. If you think there's nothing to do
> here, you're 100% wrong. Perhaps this is why Phoenix is one of the
> fastest growing cities in the US.
>
> 2. Who the hell was talking about the hit cap?? I was talking about
> the shot cap (you get penalized for evey shot over 800).
>

> 0 0 7

Keep laying off me it will bring you fortune.

Maybe phoenix has changed since I lived there?

So I got the shot cap and hit cap messed up don't go postal on me!
I thought someone mentioned the hit cap being changed. I'm actually
disapointed if it stays at 11 cause thats weak. The hit cap is kind of
like a handi cap :(
I really think the shot cap should be removed though or boosted up to
1000 shots.

OFF ME

22 Jan 2004 19:47:11
*$pam*
Re: News from Thirlwall

I don't think the shot cap affects the game all that much anyway... chances
are we won't notice a difference whether it stays or goes. If they were
changing the hit-cap on the other hand... we'd be able to worry about game
dynamics changing.
--
*$pam*
LQ Brampton

"Xuvios" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [...]
> > -Raised prices for new membership to $25
> > -Raised renewal prices to $15
> > -One free game with renewal, plus another free game on your
> > birthday.
> > -Two $5.00/off coupons for lockins
> > -Nationally ranked game
> > -New Player's Club card
> >
> > 12. Jeff agrees that it is somewhat important to rotate the regional
> > centers, as it appears more and more people are getting upset about
> > playing the same centers. He said that logistics sometimes get in the
> > way and there are some centers who may never get a tournament. He also
> > mentioned it was most difficult for the west - since it's so spread
> > out. Phoenix was talked about as a possible location this year, as was
> > Spokane and Federal Way. These cites will be seriously considered in
> > the future.
> >
> > 13. Jeff may or may not attend regionals this year - he's not sure

22 Jan 2004 19:49:41
*$pam*
Re: News from Thirlwall

The stats people up here in the north are Jerk (Madison Heights), Elven
(Montreal), and Armageddon (Ottawa). I'm good with stats but with at least
one of these 3 guys at any tournament I attend, I've never had to help out.
Plus I don't have a stats spreadsheet setup like those 3 all do.
--
*$pam*
LQ Brampton

news:[email protected]