05 Jan 2004 07:16:56
John Watson
New Mexico Ski advise

My wife and I are in our late 50's are planning to ski again after a
10 year lapse and are looking for a less challenging area with open
slopes and a minimum of overly aggressive skiers. We are planning on
going to Red River because we can also cross country ski, we love New
Mexico, and accomodations are affordable. Does this make sense? Any
other suggestions?

Thanks
John

12 Jan 2004 13:43:57
John Webb
Re: New Mexico Ski advise

[email protected] (John Watson) wrote:

>My wife and I are in our late 50's are planning to ski again after a
>10 year lapse and are looking for a less challenging area with open
>slopes and a minimum of overly aggressive skiers. We are planning on
>going to Red River because we can also cross country ski, we love New
>Mexico, and accomodations are affordable. Does this make sense? Any
>other suggestions?

Right now New Mexico sucks bigtime. About the only major region in the west
with almost no snow. I went to Taos on 12/28 for a half day. So little was
that I got bored stiff an hour before the day ended. No double blacks (Al's
or ridge runs) open. The 3 so called blacks that were open were short and
were really blues. Scraped ice everywhere at the end of the day.

Ski Santa Fe (skipped) is not open to the top.
Angel Fire -snow so pathetic I didn't bother.

Red River, skied on 12/29, was just slightly better. 2 real blacks open.
much of the the better runs and one entire lift at top (to the left) was closed
due to lack of snow. btw They lie thru the teeth on their snow report.
The 12/28 report says 100 % open. NOT

12/29 we drove 150 mi to Wolf Creek Colorado for the day.
Suprise, Suprise - Real snow, About 4 inches of powder on all trails. A foot
of powder in woods/ glade areas. Everything open (has been since Thanksgining.
Somewhat crowded as expected. They added the Alberta fixed quad recently
which doubles the size of the ski area and greatly adds lift capacity. No
lines on Alberta all day. The 150 mi return drive was a drag.

Taos has few easy runs and the fast moving experts funnel into them at the
bottom. Sipapu (best snow now in NM) Red River, Angel Fire or maybe Santa
Fe would be better choices for novices/easy intermediates. Most NM areas
have
much of their easy terrain open (though icy unless they get new snow) but have
almost NO harder runs open.

John in MD ( also in 50's )

20 Jan 2004 18:25:54
Lew
Re: New Mexico Ski advise

Hi John

Don't know where you are locatted but I'm a beginner from TX (4 trips;
several days each) & I love Wolf Creek Pass, CO. It's not a resort but a
ski area with lots of snow. We stay at South Fork which offers no night
life (they roll up the streets for practical purposes at dark) but the
accomodations are reasonable & I like the drive (approximately 20 miles) to
the ski area better than the drive from Pagosa Springs (about the same
distance). We stay at Comfort Inn in SF. We were there the week before
Christmas; no lines at the lifts. I'm 61.

I think I saw a sign about cross country skiing there but you might need to
call the toll free number as I don't recall seeing it mentioned on the
website (wolfcreekski.com)

For a few more opinions you can also check out the forum on RSN.

If you'd like to see pix from our trip email me back channel & I'll set it
up so you can view them; they're already on the web on a private site.

Email is bcl at grandecom dot net.

Lew in TX

news:[email protected]