24 Jan 2005 22:43:33
R&B
My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

In all the highlights we've been seeing in the past 36 hours, one you won't
see is the one that stands out in my mind as the funniest of all Carson
moments. And it is, by far, the one that evoked the longest stretch of
audience laughter on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.

I was just a young boy when it happened, and I didn't really know what they
were talking about at the time. But I remember it pretty well, mostly
because of how the audience (and my parents) reacted. You won't see it
replayed because it resulted in a lawsuit, and Carson Productions probably
is restrained from ever showing it again. But I'm sure it's locked away
somewhere in their archives. Those who remember it probably already know
what I'm referring to without my even telling you what it was. But for
those who don't recall it, here's how I remember it:

Winnie Palmer, wife of Arnold, was seated on the couch, next to her husband
Arnold, who was a headline guest on The Tonight Show. Arnie had just won a
big tournament. I have no idea which one, but I would guess it was probably
The Masters or a US Open, since talk shows don't make it a habit of inviting
golfers to be guests except right after a big event for which there was
national interest. Although back in those days (the early '60s), Arnie was
such a media darling, it could have been just about any time.

Anyway, Johnny turned to Winnie and asked her if she had any superstitions
before her husband played in a big tournament.

Winnie replied, "I kiss his balls."

Well, the audience erupted in laughter, and as Johnny did his usual facial
expressions, it just fed the laughter further. The laughter seemed to go on
for a minute or two. The Palmers squirmed uncomfortably.

And then Johnny made a crack about Arnie's putter. The way I remember it
(which could be wrong), it was something like, "I'll bet he'll raise his
putter to that."

Another 2-3 minutes of laughter.

The Palmers weren't so amused, and they sued Carson (for defamation of
character, I believe), the outcome of which I have no idea about (although
it's unlikely they would have won such a suit, since malicious intent must
be proven).

But it was classic Carson.

David Letterman is right when he says that the current crop of talk show
hosts are just pretenders. Carson was one-of-a-kind, the likes of which
we'll never see again.

RIP, Johnny. You were missed the minute you left the show, and your brand
of inoffensive, yet uproarious comedy is surely missed today.

Randy

24 Jan 2005 23:39:06
Windsurfer2
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/palmer.asp

""R&B"" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In all the highlights we've been seeing in the past 36 hours, one you
> won't see is the one that stands out in my mind as the funniest of all
> Carson moments. And it is, by far, the one that evoked the longest
> stretch of audience laughter on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.
>
> I was just a young boy when it happened, and I didn't really know what
> they were talking about at the time. But I remember it pretty well,
> mostly because of how the audience (and my parents) reacted. You won't
> see it replayed because it resulted in a lawsuit, and Carson Productions
> probably is restrained from ever showing it again. But I'm sure it's
> locked away somewhere in their archives. Those who remember it probably
> already know what I'm referring to without my even telling you what it
> was. But for those who don't recall it, here's how I remember it:
>
> Winnie Palmer, wife of Arnold, was seated on the couch, next to her
> husband Arnold, who was a headline guest on The Tonight Show. Arnie had
> just won a big tournament. I have no idea which one, but I would guess it
> was probably The Masters or a US Open, since talk shows don't make it a
> habit of inviting golfers to be guests except right after a big event for
> which there was national interest. Although back in those days (the early
> '60s), Arnie was such a media darling, it could have been just about any
> time.
>
> Anyway, Johnny turned to Winnie and asked her if she had any superstitions
> before her husband played in a big tournament.
>
> Winnie replied, "I kiss his balls."
>
> Well, the audience erupted in laughter, and as Johnny did his usual facial
> expressions, it just fed the laughter further. The laughter seemed to go
> on for a minute or two. The Palmers squirmed uncomfortably.
>
> And then Johnny made a crack about Arnie's putter. The way I remember it
> (which could be wrong), it was something like, "I'll bet he'll raise his
> putter to that."
>
> Another 2-3 minutes of laughter.
>
> The Palmers weren't so amused, and they sued Carson (for defamation of
> character, I believe), the outcome of which I have no idea about (although
> it's unlikely they would have won such a suit, since malicious intent must
> be proven).
>
> But it was classic Carson.
>
> David Letterman is right when he says that the current crop of talk show
> hosts are just pretenders. Carson was one-of-a-kind, the likes of which
> we'll never see again.
>
> RIP, Johnny. You were missed the minute you left the show, and your brand
> of inoffensive, yet uproarious comedy is surely missed today.
>
> Randy

24 Jan 2005 15:49:53
DJD
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"R&B" wrote:

<snipped >
> Anyway, Johnny turned to Winnie and asked her if she had any superstitions
> before her husband played in a big tournament.
>
> Winnie replied, "I kiss his balls."
<snipped >

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/palmer.asp

24 Jan 2005 17:08:26

R&B wrote:
> In all the highlights we've been seeing in the past 36 hours, one you
won't
> see is the one that stands out in my mind as the funniest of all
Carson
> moments. And it is, by far, the one that evoked the longest stretch
of
> audience laughter on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.
>
> I was just a young boy when it happened, and I didn't really know
what they
> were talking about at the time. But I remember it pretty well,
mostly
> because of how the audience (and my parents) reacted. You won't see
it
> replayed because it resulted in a lawsuit, and Carson Productions
probably
> is restrained from ever showing it again. But I'm sure it's locked
away
> somewhere in their archives. Those who remember it probably already
know
> what I'm referring to without my even telling you what it was. But
for
> those who don't recall it, here's how I remember it:
>
> Winnie Palmer, wife of Arnold, was seated on the couch, next to her
husband
> Arnold, who was a headline guest on The Tonight Show. Arnie had just
won a
> big tournament. I have no idea which one, but I would guess it was
probably
> The Masters or a US Open, since talk shows don't make it a habit of
inviting
> golfers to be guests except right after a big event for which there
was
> national interest. Although back in those days (the early '60s),
Arnie was
> such a media darling, it could have been just about any time.
>
> Anyway, Johnny turned to Winnie and asked her if she had any
superstitions
> before her husband played in a big tournament.
>
> Winnie replied, "I kiss his balls."
>
> Well, the audience erupted in laughter, and as Johnny did his usual
facial
> expressions, it just fed the laughter further. The laughter seemed
to go on
> for a minute or two. The Palmers squirmed uncomfortably.
>
> And then Johnny made a crack about Arnie's putter. The way I
remember it
> (which could be wrong), it was something like, "I'll bet he'll raise
his
> putter to that."

I was told it second hand and didn't know if it was from the show or
made as a joke, but the punchline I heard was, "I bet that would make
his putter stand on end!".

As far as the urban legend related by Snopes, I don't think that Mrs.
Palmer would have to have been there. Johnny could have asked Arnie
what his wife does to give him good luck?, without her being there.

As far as uncocking the wrists, I kinda liked the Ed Ames tomahawk
throw....(it landed in the crotch, pointing straight out of some sort
of a human cardboard picture).

> Another 2-3 minutes of laughter.
>
> The Palmers weren't so amused, and they sued Carson (for defamation
of
> character, I believe), the outcome of which I have no idea about
(although
> it's unlikely they would have won such a suit, since malicious intent
must
> be proven).
>
> But it was classic Carson.
>
> David Letterman is right when he says that the current crop of talk
show
> hosts are just pretenders. Carson was one-of-a-kind, the likes of
which
> we'll never see again.
>
> RIP, Johnny. You were missed the minute you left the show, and your
brand
> of inoffensive, yet uproarious comedy is surely missed today.
Well said, and he was simply himself and the best.

CJ

> Randy

24 Jan 2005 21:13:50
John Da Ringer
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

Hi Randy,

I remember that episode of the Tonight Show.

I was very little (I'm 45 now) when that happened.

Winnie Palmer said "Before every tournament I kiss his balls" and Johnny
Carson replied " Well, I bet that makes the ole putter stand up".

A lawsuit resulted, but the television stations did show a clip during the
ensuing lawsuit. I honestly do remember seeing that on TV.

Some are posting links that say the incident never occured. I disagree
because I remember seeing it on TV for myself.

RIP Johnny.

Da Ringer

""R&B"" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In all the highlights we've been seeing in the past 36 hours, one you
> won't see is the one that stands out in my mind as the funniest of all
> Carson moments. And it is, by far, the one that evoked the longest
> stretch of audience laughter on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.
>
> I was just a young boy when it happened, and I didn't really know what
> they were talking about at the time. But I remember it pretty well,
> mostly because of how the audience (and my parents) reacted. You won't
> see it replayed because it resulted in a lawsuit, and Carson Productions
> probably is restrained from ever showing it again. But I'm sure it's
> locked away somewhere in their archives. Those who remember it probably
> already know what I'm referring to without my even telling you what it
> was. But for those who don't recall it, here's how I remember it:
>
> Winnie Palmer, wife of Arnold, was seated on the couch, next to her
> husband Arnold, who was a headline guest on The Tonight Show. Arnie had
> just won a big tournament. I have no idea which one, but I would guess it
> was probably The Masters or a US Open, since talk shows don't make it a
> habit of inviting golfers to be guests except right after a big event for
> which there was national interest. Although back in those days (the early
> '60s), Arnie was such a media darling, it could have been just about any
> time.
>
> Anyway, Johnny turned to Winnie and asked her if she had any superstitions
> before her husband played in a big tournament.
>
> Winnie replied, "I kiss his balls."
>
> Well, the audience erupted in laughter, and as Johnny did his usual facial
> expressions, it just fed the laughter further. The laughter seemed to go
> on for a minute or two. The Palmers squirmed uncomfortably.
>
> And then Johnny made a crack about Arnie's putter. The way I remember it
> (which could be wrong), it was something like, "I'll bet he'll raise his
> putter to that."
>
> Another 2-3 minutes of laughter.
>
> The Palmers weren't so amused, and they sued Carson (for defamation of
> character, I believe), the outcome of which I have no idea about (although
> it's unlikely they would have won such a suit, since malicious intent must
> be proven).
>
> But it was classic Carson.
>
> David Letterman is right when he says that the current crop of talk show
> hosts are just pretenders. Carson was one-of-a-kind, the likes of which
> we'll never see again.
>
> RIP, Johnny. You were missed the minute you left the show, and your brand
> of inoffensive, yet uproarious comedy is surely missed today.
>
> Randy

25 Jan 2005 02:33:47
multi
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:13:50 -0500, "John "Da Ringer""
<[email protected] > wrote:
>Some are posting links that say the incident never occured. I disagree
>because I remember seeing it on TV for myself.

So we have to choose between believing you, or believing Arnold
Palmer. Strangely enough, I tend to believe you, because the story
Palmer tells (quoted on Snopes) doesn't ring true -- I don't believe
Carson would have asked him that, and I don't believe Palmer would
have had the witty reply ready to go. Seems like even if there is no
longer a tape of the show, the guest lists would be available, to see
if Winnie was there. I said I find it hard to believe Carson would
ask Palmer that; I find it impossible to believe he would do it in
front of his wife.

On the other hand, I wouldn't bet my house that you and Randy are
right, because nobody's memory is perfect, especially when the
incident is decades old. Sometimes incidents you remember vaguely
become entwined with details you later read or heard about. *I*
remember a TV show from 1986, about the impending arrival of Halley's
Comet. They had a bunch of old codgers discussing the time they had
seen it as youngsters, in 1910. They disagreed about the length of
its tail, but they all remembered the loud "Whoosh!" as it went by.

By the way, I *have* seen the tape of a similar incident from the
Newlywed Game. They asked the husband the strangest place he and his
wife had ever made love, and he said the kitchen table. Then they
brought the wife out and asked her. She turned red, and said to her
husband, "I can't say that!" But it was for a hundred bucks, and her
husband kept saying, "It's OK, just be honest," so finally, in a timid
voice, she answered: "In the butt."

24 Jan 2005 22:28:26
John Da Ringer
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

As I remember the Winnie Palmer incident.......

After Winnie said "Before every tournament I kiss his balls" Carson replied
in a Groucho Marx voice while wiggling a pencil like a cigar and leaning
into the microphone" I bet that makes the ole putter stand up".

Winnie was very insulted by Carson and the laughter from the audience.

Believe what you will, but I know that I remember seeing that on TV

Da Ringer

"multi" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:13:50 -0500, "John "Da Ringer""
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Some are posting links that say the incident never occured. I disagree
>>because I remember seeing it on TV for myself.
>
> So we have to choose between believing you, or believing Arnold
> Palmer. Strangely enough, I tend to believe you, because the story
> Palmer tells (quoted on Snopes) doesn't ring true -- I don't believe
> Carson would have asked him that, and I don't believe Palmer would
> have had the witty reply ready to go. Seems like even if there is no
> longer a tape of the show, the guest lists would be available, to see
> if Winnie was there. I said I find it hard to believe Carson would
> ask Palmer that; I find it impossible to believe he would do it in
> front of his wife.
>
> On the other hand, I wouldn't bet my house that you and Randy are
> right, because nobody's memory is perfect, especially when the
> incident is decades old. Sometimes incidents you remember vaguely
> become entwined with details you later read or heard about. *I*
> remember a TV show from 1986, about the impending arrival of Halley's
> Comet. They had a bunch of old codgers discussing the time they had
> seen it as youngsters, in 1910. They disagreed about the length of
> its tail, but they all remembered the loud "Whoosh!" as it went by.
>
> By the way, I *have* seen the tape of a similar incident from the
> Newlywed Game. They asked the husband the strangest place he and his
> wife had ever made love, and he said the kitchen table. Then they
> brought the wife out and asked her. She turned red, and said to her
> husband, "I can't say that!" But it was for a hundred bucks, and her
> husband kept saying, "It's OK, just be honest," so finally, in a timid
> voice, she answered: "In the butt."

24 Jan 2005 20:32:26
Glfnaz
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

Yeah and I saw the Beatles at Shea Stadium.

"John "Da Ringer"" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> As I remember the Winnie Palmer incident.......
>
> After Winnie said "Before every tournament I kiss his balls" Carson
> replied in a Groucho Marx voice while wiggling a pencil like a cigar and
> leaning into the microphone" I bet that makes the ole putter stand up".
>
> Winnie was very insulted by Carson and the laughter from the audience.
>
> Believe what you will, but I know that I remember seeing that on TV
>
> Da Ringer
>

> "multi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:13:50 -0500, "John "Da Ringer""
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>Some are posting links that say the incident never occured. I disagree
>>>because I remember seeing it on TV for myself.
>>
>> So we have to choose between believing you, or believing Arnold
>> Palmer. Strangely enough, I tend to believe you, because the story
>> Palmer tells (quoted on Snopes) doesn't ring true -- I don't believe
>> Carson would have asked him that, and I don't believe Palmer would
>> have had the witty reply ready to go. Seems like even if there is no
>> longer a tape of the show, the guest lists would be available, to see
>> if Winnie was there. I said I find it hard to believe Carson would
>> ask Palmer that; I find it impossible to believe he would do it in
>> front of his wife.
>>
>> On the other hand, I wouldn't bet my house that you and Randy are
>> right, because nobody's memory is perfect, especially when the
>> incident is decades old. Sometimes incidents you remember vaguely
>> become entwined with details you later read or heard about. *I*
>> remember a TV show from 1986, about the impending arrival of Halley's
>> Comet. They had a bunch of old codgers discussing the time they had
>> seen it as youngsters, in 1910. They disagreed about the length of
>> its tail, but they all remembered the loud "Whoosh!" as it went by.
>>
>> By the way, I *have* seen the tape of a similar incident from the
>> Newlywed Game. They asked the husband the strangest place he and his
>> wife had ever made love, and he said the kitchen table. Then they
>> brought the wife out and asked her. She turned red, and said to her
>> husband, "I can't say that!" But it was for a hundred bucks, and her
>> husband kept saying, "It's OK, just be honest," so finally, in a timid
>> voice, she answered: "In the butt."

24 Jan 2005 22:17:55
Colleyville Alan
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"Glfnaz" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Yeah and I saw the Beatles at Shea Stadium.

Wilt Chamberlain said he met so many people who said they were there the
night he scored 100 points, they could have filled the arena 20 times over.

> "John "Da Ringer"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> As I remember the Winnie Palmer incident.......
>>
>> After Winnie said "Before every tournament I kiss his balls" Carson
>> replied in a Groucho Marx voice while wiggling a pencil like a cigar and
>> leaning into the microphone" I bet that makes the ole putter stand up".
>>
>> Winnie was very insulted by Carson and the laughter from the audience.
>>
>> Believe what you will, but I know that I remember seeing that on TV
>>
>> Da Ringer
>>

>> "multi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>>
>>> So we have to choose between believing you, or believing Arnold
>>> Palmer. Strangely enough, I tend to believe you, because the story
>>> Palmer tells (quoted on Snopes) doesn't ring true -- I don't believe
>>> Carson would have asked him that, and I don't believe Palmer would
>>> have had the witty reply ready to go. Seems like even if there is no
>>> longer a tape of the show, the guest lists would be available, to see
>>> if Winnie was there. I said I find it hard to believe Carson would
>>> ask Palmer that; I find it impossible to believe he would do it in
>>> front of his wife.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, I wouldn't bet my house that you and Randy are
>>> right, because nobody's memory is perfect, especially when the
>>> incident is decades old. Sometimes incidents you remember vaguely
>>> become entwined with details you later read or heard about. *I*
>>> remember a TV show from 1986, about the impending arrival of Halley's
>>> Comet. They had a bunch of old codgers discussing the time they had
>>> seen it as youngsters, in 1910. They disagreed about the length of
>>> its tail, but they all remembered the loud "Whoosh!" as it went by.
>>>
>>> By the way, I *have* seen the tape of a similar incident from the
>>> Newlywed Game. They asked the husband the strangest place he and his
>>> wife had ever made love, and he said the kitchen table. Then they
>>> brought the wife out and asked her. She turned red, and said to her
>>> husband, "I can't say that!" But it was for a hundred bucks, and her
>>> husband kept saying, "It's OK, just be honest," so finally, in a timid
>>> voice, she answered: "In the butt."

24 Jan 2005 20:38:09
Fish
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

""R&B"" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In > RIP, Johnny. You were missed the minute you left the show, and your
> brand of inoffensive, yet uproarious comedy is surely missed today.
>
> Randy

Hear, hear. He was a master at his art.

24 Jan 2005 22:28:01
Fred Taylor
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"Colleyville Alan" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Glfnaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Yeah and I saw the Beatles at Shea Stadium.
>
> Wilt Chamberlain said he met so many people who said they were there the
> night he scored 100 points, they could have filled the arena 20 times
> over.

He also said he slept with 20,000 women in his lifetime.

24 Jan 2005 22:34:52
The World Wide Wade
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

Didn't happen. The Tonight Show was tape-delayed, it was the
early 60s, there were staff lawyers on hand - there's no way in
hell that would have seen airtime.

25 Jan 2005 05:59:53
sjh

The World Wide Wade wrote:
> Didn't happen. The Tonight Show was tape-delayed, it was the
> early 60s, there were staff lawyers on hand - there's no way in
> hell that would have seen airtime.

I think you mean pre-recorded... they didn't have
digital delays in those days.

25 Jan 2005 14:11:13
sfb
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

Most of the obits indicate that the taping didn't start until he moved
west in the early seventies.

"The World Wide Wade" <[email protected] > wrote in
message
news:[email protected]
> Didn't happen. The Tonight Show was tape-delayed, it was the
> early 60s, there were staff lawyers on hand - there's no way in
> hell that would have seen airtime.

25 Jan 2005 14:29:28
Howard Brazee

On 24-Jan-2005, ""R&B"" <[email protected] > wrote:

> In all the highlights we've been seeing in the past 36 hours, one you won't
> see is the one that stands out in my mind as the funniest of all Carson
> moments. And it is, by far, the one that evoked the longest stretch of
> audience laughter on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.

I've read that the longest sustained laughter of all US TV was the Ed Ames
incident on that show.

25 Jan 2005 14:54:41
uncle k
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"John "Da Ringer"" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> As I remember the Winnie Palmer incident.......
>
> After Winnie said "Before every tournament I kiss his balls" Carson
> replied in a Groucho Marx voice while wiggling a pencil like a cigar and
> leaning into the microphone" I bet that makes the ole putter stand up".
>
> Winnie was very insulted by Carson and the laughter from the audience.
>
> Believe what you will, but I know that I remember seeing that on TV

Oh, it happened. It's funny how many versions of the exchange come out,
decades later. The reply I recall from Johnny was "I bet that makes his
putter flutter."

Unc

25 Jan 2005 08:57:43
Colleyville Alan
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"Fred Taylor" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Colleyville Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> "Glfnaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> Yeah and I saw the Beatles at Shea Stadium.
>>
>> Wilt Chamberlain said he met so many people who said they were there the
>> night he scored 100 points, they could have filled the arena 20 times
>> over.
>>

> He also said he slept with 20,000 women in his lifetime.

That part might be true :)

25 Jan 2005 09:02:10
Colleyville Alan

"sfb" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Most of the obits indicate that the taping didn't start until he moved
> west in the early seventies.

He was on at 11:30 on the west coast, so that had to be tape-delayed. (it
was referred to as tape-delayed when they taped a program and showed it
later).

I believe that the east coast had the progam on at the same time and, like
when it was shot in Burbank, was recorded earlier in the evening so it would
have been tape-delayed as well.

The obits might be referring to the fact that they did not archive tapes,
Johnny mentioned on his farewell show that it was a shame that some
memorable moments like Bette Midler's first appearance were not taped.

25 Jan 2005 16:51:40
Tim

Glfnaz wrote:
> Yeah and I saw the Beatles at Shea Stadium.

I saw Jimi Hendrix on MTV Cribs.

tim

25 Jan 2005 09:32:20
Larry Bud

"R&B" wrote:
> In all the highlights we've been seeing in the past 36 hours, one you
won't
> see is the one that stands out in my mind as the funniest of all
Carson
> moments. And it is, by far, the one that evoked the longest stretch
of
> audience laughter on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.
>
> I was just a young boy when it happened, and I didn't really know
what they
> were talking about at the time. But I remember it pretty well,
mostly
> because of how the audience (and my parents) reacted. You won't see
it
> replayed because it resulted in a lawsuit, and Carson Productions
probably
> is restrained from ever showing it again.

So Randy, since we all know this is an urban legend, care to revise
your "memory"??

25 Jan 2005 12:56:57
Miss Anne Thrope
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

And yet, when I mention golfer's tiny white balls, or lack thereof, I'm
called a troll.

25 Jan 2005 11:31:15
The World Wide Wade
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

In article
<[email protected] >,
"sjh" <[email protected] > wrote:

> The World Wide Wade wrote:
> > Didn't happen. The Tonight Show was tape-delayed, it was the
> > early 60s, there were staff lawyers on hand - there's no way in
> > hell that would have seen airtime.
>
> I think you mean pre-recorded... they didn't have
> digital delays in those days.

What are you, 14 years old? Do a Google search on "tape-delayed"
sonny.

25 Jan 2005 11:37:48
The World Wide Wade
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

In article <[email protected] >,
"Glfnaz" <[email protected] > wrote:

> Yeah and I saw the Beatles at Shea Stadium.

The difference is that the Beatles actually played Shea Stadium.

25 Jan 2005 21:31:12
R&B
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

Snopes.com is simply wrong in debunking this myth. Whether or not all the
details of the story are as I described, well, I can't be sure. It was a
long time ago, and this is one episode that didn't make it into any of the
"Best of Johnny" tapes and DVDs, for obvious reasons. But the one part of
the story I'm absolutely sure of is the part about kissing Arnie's balls.
It was NOT Carson who said it, and anyone who understands comedy knows it's
not a punch line that Johnny would have gone for. Johnny fed the straight
line about superstitions, and either Winnie or Arnie himself gave the
classic reply. I'm sure of that.

The reason I know so surely that this actually happened on the air is
because I was watching The Tonight Show when it happened. Though the
details may have faded a bit, I know the essence of what I heard, and I know
the famous line didn't come out of Carson's mouth.

Arnold Palmer's recounting of the story to Jay Leno in 1994 is in error, or,
more likely (since it's something that would be fairly hard to forget), it
was an out-and-out deception by Arnie to try to sweep that embarrassing
episode under the rug. It was probably something that Arnie simply didn't
want to relive, so he dodged the question or fabricated an account of what
happened. Leno was obviously too stupid (or too young) to know the story.
Either that or he did know the story and out of respect for Arnie, he didn't
press the issue. (I'll give Jay the benefit of the doubt and guess it was
the latter.)

I will acknowledge that it's possible that Winnie did not actually appear.
I seem to recall that she did (not as a guest, but she accompanied Arnie, I
believe), but that part is fuzzy. It may have been Arnie himself who
answered Carson's question, "Do you have any superstitions?," to which
Palmer replied, "Winnie kisses my balls." But the line about "kissing
his/my balls" was DEFINITELY SAID ON TV. Of that I'm 100% sure.

Of course in 2005, it's hard to fathom how anyone would say something like
that on national television. But you have to remember that in 1962 (or
thereabouts), times were much different, and people's minds didn't default
to the "dirty" connotation of words and phrases like they do today. It's
actually quite reasonable to presume that Arnie (or anyone) might have said
something like that without ever thinking of how it would be taken. But of
course, the instant it was uttered, everybody knew.

Randy

"Windsurfer2" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]c07...
> http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/palmer.asp
>

> ""R&B"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> In all the highlights we've been seeing in the past 36 hours, one you
>> won't see is the one that stands out in my mind as the funniest of all
>> Carson moments. And it is, by far, the one that evoked the longest
>> stretch of audience laughter on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.
>>
>> I was just a young boy when it happened, and I didn't really know what
>> they were talking about at the time. But I remember it pretty well,
>> mostly because of how the audience (and my parents) reacted. You won't
>> see it replayed because it resulted in a lawsuit, and Carson Productions
>> probably is restrained from ever showing it again. But I'm sure it's
>> locked away somewhere in their archives. Those who remember it probably
>> already know what I'm referring to without my even telling you what it
>> was. But for those who don't recall it, here's how I remember it:
>>
>> Winnie Palmer, wife of Arnold, was seated on the couch, next to her
>> husband Arnold, who was a headline guest on The Tonight Show. Arnie had
>> just won a big tournament. I have no idea which one, but I would guess
>> it was probably The Masters or a US Open, since talk shows don't make it
>> a habit of inviting golfers to be guests except right after a big event
>> for which there was national interest. Although back in those days (the
>> early '60s), Arnie was such a media darling, it could have been just
>> about any time.
>>
>> Anyway, Johnny turned to Winnie and asked her if she had any
>> superstitions before her husband played in a big tournament.
>>
>> Winnie replied, "I kiss his balls."
>>
>> Well, the audience erupted in laughter, and as Johnny did his usual
>> facial expressions, it just fed the laughter further. The laughter
>> seemed to go on for a minute or two. The Palmers squirmed uncomfortably.
>>
>> And then Johnny made a crack about Arnie's putter. The way I remember it
>> (which could be wrong), it was something like, "I'll bet he'll raise his
>> putter to that."
>>
>> Another 2-3 minutes of laughter.
>>
>> The Palmers weren't so amused, and they sued Carson (for defamation of
>> character, I believe), the outcome of which I have no idea about
>> (although it's unlikely they would have won such a suit, since malicious
>> intent must be proven).
>>
>> But it was classic Carson.
>>
>> David Letterman is right when he says that the current crop of talk show
>> hosts are just pretenders. Carson was one-of-a-kind, the likes of which
>> we'll never see again.
>>
>> RIP, Johnny. You were missed the minute you left the show, and your
>> brand of inoffensive, yet uproarious comedy is surely missed today.
>>
>> Randy

25 Jan 2005 21:37:35
R&B
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"multi" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:13:50 -0500, "John "Da Ringer""
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Some are posting links that say the incident never occured. I disagree
>>because I remember seeing it on TV for myself.
>
> So we have to choose between believing you, or believing Arnold
> Palmer. Strangely enough, I tend to believe you, because the story
> Palmer tells (quoted on Snopes) doesn't ring true -- I don't believe
> Carson would have asked him that, and I don't believe Palmer would
> have had the witty reply ready to go. Seems like even if there is no
> longer a tape of the show, the guest lists would be available, to see
> if Winnie was there. I said I find it hard to believe Carson would
> ask Palmer that; I find it impossible to believe he would do it in
> front of his wife.
>
> On the other hand, I wouldn't bet my house that you and Randy are
> right, because nobody's memory is perfect, especially when the
> incident is decades old. Sometimes incidents you remember vaguely
> become entwined with details you later read or heard about. *I*
> remember a TV show from 1986, about the impending arrival of Halley's
> Comet. They had a bunch of old codgers discussing the time they had
> seen it as youngsters, in 1910. They disagreed about the length of
> its tail, but they all remembered the loud "Whoosh!" as it went by.
>
> By the way, I *have* seen the tape of a similar incident from the
> Newlywed Game. They asked the husband the strangest place he and his
> wife had ever made love, and he said the kitchen table. Then they
> brought the wife out and asked her. She turned red, and said to her
> husband, "I can't say that!" But it was for a hundred bucks, and her
> husband kept saying, "It's OK, just be honest," so finally, in a timid
> voice, she answered: "In the butt."

I saw it, too, when it happened. It must have happened in the very early
days of Carson, maybe '62 or '63 (when did Arnie stop winning majors?). And
I'm sure if you asked around long enough, you'd find plenty of others who
saw it, too.

Palmers recounting the story to Leno was a lie. Probably just didn't want
to relive an embarrassing moment again. I guess you can't blame him. But
heck, if you can't laugh at yourself, then you're not worth sh*t in my book.
Athletes too often take themselves FAR too seriously.

And as you said, the way Snopes describes the scenario, you really have to
make a huge leap. For Johnny Carson to ask Arnold Palmer if he wife kisses
his balls simply defies the fundamental premise of comedy -- the element of
surprise. It also defies what Carson was known for doing -- being a great
straight man, feeding his guests lines. Johnny would never have fed a guest
an embarrassing line like that (since Carson would surely have known what it
meant).

The only way a line like that gets out is by accident, which means Carson
had to feed a straight line. In this case, I'm quite certain it was a
question about pre-tournament superstition. And it was either Winnie or
Arnie himself who said it.

Snopes.com blew this one. They're simply wrong.

Randy

25 Jan 2005 21:56:28
R&B
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

I can name at least two other friends of mine who I didn't know back then
who also saw it when it first aired on NBC, and can quote this little
exchange word-for-word, and it's almost exactly as John described it.

My recollection was that Carson's comeback was "I'll bet that makes his
putter rise," but I posted that here once a few years ago and someone
corrected me. I took their version as gospel, but now that I've read John's
recollection of this (which is much closer to my own, and I know I saw it
live when it first aired on NBC), I now know that what I remembered was,
indeed, correct.

The only thing about the story that is truly a mystery to me is what I was
doing up that late. I had to be about 10 when it happened. Must've been a
Friday night. Or maybe it was in the Summer when I could stay up later.
Come to think of it, if Arnie was on The Tonight Show following a US Open
win, that would make sense.

Randy

"Glfnaz" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Yeah and I saw the Beatles at Shea Stadium.
>

> "John "Da Ringer"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> As I remember the Winnie Palmer incident.......
>>
>> After Winnie said "Before every tournament I kiss his balls" Carson
>> replied in a Groucho Marx voice while wiggling a pencil like a cigar and
>> leaning into the microphone" I bet that makes the ole putter stand up".
>>
>> Winnie was very insulted by Carson and the laughter from the audience.
>>
>> Believe what you will, but I know that I remember seeing that on TV
>>
>> Da Ringer
>>

>> "multi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>>
>>> So we have to choose between believing you, or believing Arnold
>>> Palmer. Strangely enough, I tend to believe you, because the story
>>> Palmer tells (quoted on Snopes) doesn't ring true -- I don't believe
>>> Carson would have asked him that, and I don't believe Palmer would
>>> have had the witty reply ready to go. Seems like even if there is no
>>> longer a tape of the show, the guest lists would be available, to see
>>> if Winnie was there. I said I find it hard to believe Carson would
>>> ask Palmer that; I find it impossible to believe he would do it in
>>> front of his wife.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, I wouldn't bet my house that you and Randy are
>>> right, because nobody's memory is perfect, especially when the
>>> incident is decades old. Sometimes incidents you remember vaguely
>>> become entwined with details you later read or heard about. *I*
>>> remember a TV show from 1986, about the impending arrival of Halley's
>>> Comet. They had a bunch of old codgers discussing the time they had
>>> seen it as youngsters, in 1910. They disagreed about the length of
>>> its tail, but they all remembered the loud "Whoosh!" as it went by.
>>>
>>> By the way, I *have* seen the tape of a similar incident from the
>>> Newlywed Game. They asked the husband the strangest place he and his
>>> wife had ever made love, and he said the kitchen table. Then they
>>> brought the wife out and asked her. She turned red, and said to her
>>> husband, "I can't say that!" But it was for a hundred bucks, and her
>>> husband kept saying, "It's OK, just be honest," so finally, in a timid
>>> voice, she answered: "In the butt."

25 Jan 2005 21:57:30
R&B
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"The World Wide Wade" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Glfnaz" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Yeah and I saw the Beatles at Shea Stadium.
>
> The difference is that the Beatles actually played Shea Stadium.

Oh, this (the Carson episode) did actually happen. I know too many people
(and now add John to the list) who actually saw it when it aired. I saw it
when it aired, too.

Randy

25 Jan 2005 21:59:25
R&B
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"The World Wide Wade" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Didn't happen. The Tonight Show was tape-delayed, it was the
> early 60s, there were staff lawyers on hand - there's no way in
> hell that would have seen airtime.

I saw it with my own eyes.

Randy

25 Jan 2005 22:12:28
R&B
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"The World Wide Wade" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Didn't happen. The Tonight Show was tape-delayed, it was the
> early 60s, there were staff lawyers on hand - there's no way in
> hell that would have seen airtime.

You're simply wrong there. In the earliest days of The Tonight Show
starring Johnny Carson, the show was LIVE, not pre-recorded as it is today.
In point of fact, this incident with Winnie Palmer might very well have been
one of the main things that provided impetus for NBC to start doing the show
on tape. Of that, one can only speculate. And I'm not absolutely certain
about whether the show was still live when this incident occurred, but I
know that (a.) it did happen, and (b.) The Tonight Show was broadcast live
during Johnny's earliest days on the show.

Few remember this, but for several years after Johnny took over the show
from Jack Paar, the program ran for an hour and 45 minutes. It actually
came on the air at 11:15 PM ET. Your late local news (on NBC affiliates,
anyway) was only 15 minutes. The first 15 minutes of the show was filled
with Skitch Henderson and the NBC Orchestra and Ed McMahon. Then Ed would
introduce Johnny at 11:30. Carson did 90 minutes. Five nights a week.
(No Monday substitute hosts back then.)

This is another argument against the show being on videotape during those
early days. The tapes themselves weren't long enough to hold 1:45 of
programming, and the technology was still so primative, it's unclear if they
could even do something as simple (by today's standards) as play the show
from two separate reels.

And like I said, it could be a moot point anyway, because we know for sure
that in the early days, The Tonight Show was LIVE. No tape.

Heck, videotape was still in its infancy at that time. Many of the old
shows in the 60s that you would think had been preserved on tape weren't,
simply because tape was a relatively unknown commodity and networks didn't
have the equipment to record programs. Most programs back in those days
were captured for archival purposes on kinescope, not videotape.

Randy

25 Jan 2005 22:13:19
R&B
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"Howard Brazee" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> On 24-Jan-2005, ""R&B"" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> In all the highlights we've been seeing in the past 36 hours, one you
>> won't
>> see is the one that stands out in my mind as the funniest of all Carson
>> moments. And it is, by far, the one that evoked the longest stretch of
>> audience laughter on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.
>
> I've read that the longest sustained laughter of all US TV was the Ed Ames
> incident on that show.

And I saw that one when it happened, too.

It was hilarious.

Randy

25 Jan 2005 22:15:32
R&B
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"Larry Bud" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "R&B" wrote:
>> In all the highlights we've been seeing in the past 36 hours, one you
> won't
>> see is the one that stands out in my mind as the funniest of all
> Carson
>> moments. And it is, by far, the one that evoked the longest stretch
> of
>> audience laughter on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.
>>
>> I was just a young boy when it happened, and I didn't really know
> what they
>> were talking about at the time. But I remember it pretty well,
> mostly
>> because of how the audience (and my parents) reacted. You won't see
> it
>> replayed because it resulted in a lawsuit, and Carson Productions
> probably
>> is restrained from ever showing it again.
>
> So Randy, since we all know this is an urban legend, care to revise
> your "memory"??

It's not an urban legend. I saw it myself. So did some of my friends, a
few of whom lived in another part of the country when it happened. But we
all remember it, and we basically remember it the same way.

Snopes.com is wrong.

What's wrong with you people: You just assume that everything you read on
the internet is right?

I really don't care if you believe it or not. At least two other people in
this thread saw it on NBC, too, as did I. It happened. If you choose to
believe it didn't happen, it's no skin off my back. But you'd be wrong,
just as Snopes.com is.

Randy

25 Jan 2005 17:28:43
John Da Ringer
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

I also remember some of the kids at school (grade school) talking about it a
day or so after it happened. When we were around 7 to10 years old the word
"balls" was the same as saying mother*****r by todays standards. This was
sometime in the late 60's.

My older sister talked about it to her friend during the same time.

It did happen.

I also remember being at the Gator Bowl watching a World Football League
game between the Jacksonville Sharks and the Hawaii Hawains (sp) when they
stopped the game for Nixon's resignation speech. The crowd cheered with a
standing ovation for about 5 minutes when Nixon said he was resigning.

BTW....... Jacksonville won.

Da Ringer

""R&B"" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "The World Wide Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> news:[email protected]
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "Glfnaz" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah and I saw the Beatles at Shea Stadium.
>>
>> The difference is that the Beatles actually played Shea Stadium.
>

> Oh, this (the Carson episode) did actually happen. I know too many people
> (and now add John to the list) who actually saw it when it aired. I saw
> it when it aired, too.
>
> Randy

25 Jan 2005 22:39:24
uncle k
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"The World Wide Wade" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Didn't happen. The Tonight Show was tape-delayed, it was the
> early 60s, there were staff lawyers on hand - there's no way in
> hell that would have seen airtime.

You didn't see it, like many of us did, so it didn't happen? It sounds to
me like you're assuming things were the same in the '60's as they are now.
I'll never forget watching it, but the details of what was said get a little
sketchier with every year.

25 Jan 2005 22:41:38
R&B
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"John "Da Ringer"" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I also remember some of the kids at school (grade school) talking about it
>a day or so after it happened. When we were around 7 to10 years old the
>word "balls" was the same as saying mother*****r by todays standards. This
>was sometime in the late 60's.

My, how times change.

Just last night I was watching an interview with Mark Cuban (it was on
another Carson show on NBC...in this case, Carson Daly's show). Cuban was
being asked about comparisons between his show ("The Benefactor") and Donald
Trump's show ("The Apprentice"). Daly mentioned to Cuban that Trump has his
own catch-phrase -- "You're Fired!" -- and asked if Cuban had one. Cuban
said yes, and quoted it:

"No balls, no babies."

Randy

> My older sister talked about it to her friend during the same time.
>
> It did happen.
>
> I also remember being at the Gator Bowl watching a World Football League
> game between the Jacksonville Sharks and the Hawaii Hawains (sp) when they
> stopped the game for Nixon's resignation speech. The crowd cheered with a
> standing ovation for about 5 minutes when Nixon said he was resigning.
>
> BTW....... Jacksonville won.
>
> Da Ringer
>

> ""R&B"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> "The World Wide Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> message
>> news:[email protected]

>>> The difference is that the Beatles actually played Shea Stadium.
>>

>> Oh, this (the Carson episode) did actually happen. I know too many
>> people (and now add John to the list) who actually saw it when it aired.
>> I saw it when it aired, too.
>>
>> Randy

25 Jan 2005 22:54:28
uncle k
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"John "Da Ringer"" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>.................................. when they stopped the game for Nixon's
>resignation speech. The crowd cheered with a standing ovation for about 5
>minutes when Nixon said he was resigning.

I taped that speech on a $20 reel to reel deck, setting up a microphone in
front of the TV. Gawd, what I would have given for a DVDR back then.

> BTW....... Jacksonville won.

That's it.... just spewed coffee all over the place. I'm outta here.

25 Jan 2005 14:55:47
sjh
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

I'll have you know I just got my driving permit, but I thought you were
referring
to short a short delay to bleep cussing and such- a la the famous SNL
7-second delay
for Richard Pryor.

25 Jan 2005 23:09:55
R&B
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

One of the other major memories I have about Johnny was how disappointed I
was when I was in Los Angeles and got to attend the taping of The Tonight
Show in Spring of 1974. Johnny wasn't there. Rich Little was the host that
night. Ed Asner was a guest. And Anthony Newly (a complete bore). There
was a major hiccup in the show, somehow the end of it got cut off. Maybe
they just lost track of the time remaining. Not sure exactly what happened,
but the ending was very abrupt, and came in mid-sentence. Probably one of
those "flow" things that Johnny handled so smoothly and effortlessly that
most people would never notice...until something went wrong with a guest
host. I remember how small the set looked in person, compared to how it
looked on TV. And the "window" behind the desk...how it appeared to be a
real window to the outside, and then when you see it in person, it's just a
painting with little blinking "Christmas" lights behind holes that were cut
out of the mural to make it appear as though the lights outdoors were
"flickering." Ah, the magic of television.

I didn't get to see Johnny that night, but while I was in LA, we went to The
Troubadour, a famous night club, and saw Leo Sayer perform. (He was a lot
better than you might guess.) The parking lot attendant couldn't be found
afterwards, and a drunken Joe Cocker helped us locate our keys. But the
coolest part of the evening was when I looked up from my spot in the
standing-room-only audience and noticed that standing right next to me was
none other than George Harrison.

Randy

""R&B"" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In all the highlights we've been seeing in the past 36 hours, one you
> won't see is the one that stands out in my mind as the funniest of all
> Carson moments. And it is, by far, the one that evoked the longest
> stretch of audience laughter on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.
>
> I was just a young boy when it happened, and I didn't really know what
> they were talking about at the time. But I remember it pretty well,
> mostly because of how the audience (and my parents) reacted. You won't
> see it replayed because it resulted in a lawsuit, and Carson Productions
> probably is restrained from ever showing it again. But I'm sure it's
> locked away somewhere in their archives. Those who remember it probably
> already know what I'm referring to without my even telling you what it
> was. But for those who don't recall it, here's how I remember it:
>
> Winnie Palmer, wife of Arnold, was seated on the couch, next to her
> husband Arnold, who was a headline guest on The Tonight Show. Arnie had
> just won a big tournament. I have no idea which one, but I would guess it
> was probably The Masters or a US Open, since talk shows don't make it a
> habit of inviting golfers to be guests except right after a big event for
> which there was national interest. Although back in those days (the early
> '60s), Arnie was such a media darling, it could have been just about any
> time.
>
> Anyway, Johnny turned to Winnie and asked her if she had any superstitions
> before her husband played in a big tournament.
>
> Winnie replied, "I kiss his balls."
>
> Well, the audience erupted in laughter, and as Johnny did his usual facial
> expressions, it just fed the laughter further. The laughter seemed to go
> on for a minute or two. The Palmers squirmed uncomfortably.
>
> And then Johnny made a crack about Arnie's putter. The way I remember it
> (which could be wrong), it was something like, "I'll bet he'll raise his
> putter to that."
>
> Another 2-3 minutes of laughter.
>
> The Palmers weren't so amused, and they sued Carson (for defamation of
> character, I believe), the outcome of which I have no idea about (although
> it's unlikely they would have won such a suit, since malicious intent must
> be proven).
>
> But it was classic Carson.
>
> David Letterman is right when he says that the current crop of talk show
> hosts are just pretenders. Carson was one-of-a-kind, the likes of which
> we'll never see again.
>
> RIP, Johnny. You were missed the minute you left the show, and your brand
> of inoffensive, yet uproarious comedy is surely missed today.
>
> Randy

25 Jan 2005 23:19:24
multi
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:56:28 GMT, ""R&B"" <[email protected] >
wrote:
>My recollection was that Carson's comeback was "I'll bet that makes his
>putter rise," but I posted that here once a few years ago and someone
>corrected me. I took their version as gospel, but now that I've read John's
>recollection of this (which is much closer to my own, and I know I saw it
>live when it first aired on NBC), I now know that what I remembered was,
>indeed, correct.

I rest my case. What you "know" you saw changes with the last person
you talk to.

I take this a bit personally, because a few years ago I was on the
wrong end of case concerning an eye-witness who was completely
sincere, 100% sure, but absolutely wrong. Cost me some money, and a
lot of aggravation.

25 Jan 2005 23:21:11
bmickey9
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

> But the
> coolest part of the evening was when I looked up from my spot in the
> standing-room-only audience and noticed that standing right next to me was
> none other than George Harrison.

Are you sure you weren't at Shea Stadium?

bmickey9

25 Jan 2005 23:23:31
R&B
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

I stand corrected. The Tonight Show was always on tape, from the first
episode with Carson.

Randy

""R&B"" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "The World Wide Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> news:[email protected]
>> Didn't happen. The Tonight Show was tape-delayed, it was the
>> early 60s, there were staff lawyers on hand - there's no way in
>> hell that would have seen airtime.
>

> You're simply wrong there. In the earliest days of The Tonight Show
> starring Johnny Carson, the show was LIVE, not pre-recorded as it is
> today. In point of fact, this incident with Winnie Palmer might very well
> have been one of the main things that provided impetus for NBC to start
> doing the show on tape. Of that, one can only speculate. And I'm not
> absolutely certain about whether the show was still live when this
> incident occurred, but I know that (a.) it did happen, and (b.) The
> Tonight Show was broadcast live during Johnny's earliest days on the show.
>
> Few remember this, but for several years after Johnny took over the show
> from Jack Paar, the program ran for an hour and 45 minutes. It actually
> came on the air at 11:15 PM ET. Your late local news (on NBC affiliates,
> anyway) was only 15 minutes. The first 15 minutes of the show was filled
> with Skitch Henderson and the NBC Orchestra and Ed McMahon. Then Ed would
> introduce Johnny at 11:30. Carson did 90 minutes. Five nights a week.
> (No Monday substitute hosts back then.)
>
> This is another argument against the show being on videotape during those
> early days. The tapes themselves weren't long enough to hold 1:45 of
> programming, and the technology was still so primative, it's unclear if
> they could even do something as simple (by today's standards) as play the
> show from two separate reels.
>
> And like I said, it could be a moot point anyway, because we know for sure
> that in the early days, The Tonight Show was LIVE. No tape.
>
> Heck, videotape was still in its infancy at that time. Many of the old
> shows in the 60s that you would think had been preserved on tape weren't,
> simply because tape was a relatively unknown commodity and networks didn't
> have the equipment to record programs. Most programs back in those days
> were captured for archival purposes on kinescope, not videotape.
>
> Randy

25 Jan 2005 23:32:37
R&B
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"The World Wide Wade" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> "sjh" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> The World Wide Wade wrote:
>> > Didn't happen. The Tonight Show was tape-delayed, it was the
>> > early 60s, there were staff lawyers on hand - there's no way in
>> > hell that would have seen airtime.
>>
>> I think you mean pre-recorded... they didn't have
>> digital delays in those days.
>
> What are you, 14 years old? Do a Google search on "tape-delayed"
> sonny.

Unfortunately, tapes of Carson episodes prior to 1969 don't exist. The few
black and white highlights you see are probably kinescopes. NBC is
notorious for not having not archived its programs prior to the late 1960s,
or just erasing them altogether. A search through Carson Productions'
website for old highlights reveals that nothing is available prior to 1969.
That's sad.

Somewhere along the timeline, the ownership of the show transferred from NBC
Productions to Carson Productions. (This is one of the things Johnny
counseled Dave Letterman about when Dave was considering his move to CBS.
NBC wanted to own the show if he stayed at NBC and take over The Tonight
Show, but CBS was offering full ownership of the show to Dave's company
Worldwide Pants.) This change may have occurred around 1969, which may
account for why Carson Productions has these old episodes, not NBC.

Randy

25 Jan 2005 23:41:13
multi
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:15:32 GMT, ""R&B"" <[email protected] >
wrote:

>Snopes.com is wrong.
>
>What's wrong with you people: You just assume that everything you read on
>the internet is right?

No, but when we are weighing unverified anecdotes against a website
with some established credibility, we tend to go with the latter. The
eyewitnesses in this thread are all over the map --- early sixties,
late sixties, Arnie and Winne, Winnie alone. Snopes gives exact
dates, and verbatim quotes from famous people. That doesn't prove
they are right, but it sure doesn't make it an act of stupidity to
believe their version.

Also note that the Snopes entry was last updated in 1998. That's
quite a long time for something demonstrably wrong to hang out there.

>I really don't care if you believe it or not. At least two other people in
>this thread saw it on NBC, too, as did I.

Unfortunately, at least two other people in this thread saw it
differently, i.e. with Winnie by herself. So what is wrong with you,
why don't you believe them?

> It happened. If you choose to
>believe it didn't happen, it's no skin off my back. But you'd be wrong,
>just as Snopes.com is.

I believe something must have happened, and your version sounds more
likely than Arnie's. That's a pretty big compliment to you, if you'd
lower your outrage enough to notice. But without better evidence, I
can only tend to believe your version, not accept it as Gospel.

25 Jan 2005 23:47:49
Jim Hadley
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

multi <[email protected] > wrote in news:[email protected]
4ax.com:

> I take this a bit personally, because a few years ago I was on the
> wrong end of case concerning an eye-witness who was completely
> sincere, 100% sure, but absolutely wrong. Cost me some money, and a
> lot of aggravation.

That pesky child-molesting case again?

25 Jan 2005 19:00:45
John Da Ringer
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

Winnie Palmer was on the show by herself without Arnie. Why? I don't know.

Da Ringer

"multi" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:15:32 GMT, ""R&B"" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Snopes.com is wrong.
>>
>>What's wrong with you people: You just assume that everything you read on
>>the internet is right?
>
> No, but when we are weighing unverified anecdotes against a website
> with some established credibility, we tend to go with the latter. The
> eyewitnesses in this thread are all over the map --- early sixties,
> late sixties, Arnie and Winne, Winnie alone. Snopes gives exact
> dates, and verbatim quotes from famous people. That doesn't prove
> they are right, but it sure doesn't make it an act of stupidity to
> believe their version.
>
> Also note that the Snopes entry was last updated in 1998. That's
> quite a long time for something demonstrably wrong to hang out there.
>
>>I really don't care if you believe it or not. At least two other people
>>in
>>this thread saw it on NBC, too, as did I.
>
> Unfortunately, at least two other people in this thread saw it
> differently, i.e. with Winnie by herself. So what is wrong with you,
> why don't you believe them?
>
>> It happened. If you choose to
>>believe it didn't happen, it's no skin off my back. But you'd be wrong,
>>just as Snopes.com is.
>
> I believe something must have happened, and your version sounds more
> likely than Arnie's. That's a pretty big compliment to you, if you'd
> lower your outrage enough to notice. But without better evidence, I
> can only tend to believe your version, not accept it as Gospel.

25 Jan 2005 18:04:39
Craig

Colleyville Alan wrote:

> "Glfnaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>>Yeah and I saw the Beatles at Shea Stadium.
>

> Wilt Chamberlain said he met so many people who said they were there the
> night he scored 100 points, they could have filled the arena 20 times over.

That reminds of a local story. We have a local football club, the
Winnipeg Blue Bombers. One year, I think around 1990 or so (maybe
earlier), they were hosting a semi-final game against the Toronto
Argonauts. The Bombers hadn't played very well that year and were not
expected to beat the Argos. In addition the game was in November with
cold temperatures and snow. As a result, there were only about 10,000 or
so fans (may be mistaken on the number, but the stadium holds about
27,000) who showed up for the game.

Surprise of surprises, the Bombers won! The organization printed up
T-shirts that read "I was one of the 10,000. Bombers beat Argos, blah,
blah".

Apparently, they sold about 20,000 shirts.

Craig

26 Jan 2005 00:18:59
multi
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:47:49 GMT, Jim Hadley <[email protected] >
wrote:
>multi <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
>4ax.com:
>
>> I take this a bit personally, because a few years ago I was on the
>> wrong end of case concerning an eye-witness who was completely
>> sincere, 100% sure, but absolutely wrong. Cost me some money, and a
>> lot of aggravation.
>
>That pesky child-molesting case again?

No, not that one. But since you asked, I'll tell the story, because
it shows how wrong people can be about something they saw with their
own eyes.

I moved into a house in Houston about 15 years ago. After I had lived
there about five years, the termites got to my deck, and I paid a guy
to tear it up and haul it away. He stacked the old boards outside the
gate as he was working. The gate was at the side back corner of my
house.

A couple weeks later, I got a letter from the Homeowner's Association,
which I didn't realize existed except as a yearly bill I had to pay,
telling me that I was in violation of the deed restrictions by
erecting a chain-link fence. Since they obviously had the wrong
house, I threw it in the garbage and forgot about it.

A couple weeks after that, which happened to be Christmas week, I got
another letter repeating that I had violated the covenants by erecting
a chain-link fence, and if I didn't replace it with an approved wooden
fence IMMEDIATELY, they would do it, and I would be fined $200 plus
costs.

So I called them, and told them they had the wrong house. They
verified my address, and the woman said she most certainly did NOT
have the wrong house. I said I hadn't put up any fences. She said
she had verified it just that morning, that the back gate to my house
had a chain link portion, which had replaced the existing wooden
fence. She said she had personally seen the boards from the old fence
piled up there a couple weeks before. Aha! I told her that the fence
(which was all of two feet long, the rest was a gate to a narrow dog
run) had always been there, and the boards she saw were from the old
deck I had removed. She haughtily informed me that she had walked
around the neighborhood three times a week for the last ten years, and
she knew for a fact that there had been a wooden fence there until a
couple weeks ago. I politely told her she was mistaken, and she
became enraged, how dare I call her a liar, blah blah blah. In the
end it was her word against mine, and she won. I had to pay several
hundred bucks to replace a perfectly good fence and gate with an
inferior one, and everybody at the Homeowner's office thought I was a
liar.

I believe this woman was totally sincere, although very unpleasant to
deal with. In her many walks past my house, she either didn't notice
the gate, or had seen the wooden fence behind it through the chain
link fence in front of it, and had thought she was seeing a wooden
fence in front of it. Whatever -- once her integrity was challenged,
she was as sure as she was alive that she had seen a wooden fence
there for the last ten years. Absolutely sure, saw it with her own
eyes, totally wrong. And that was about a memory less than a month
old.

25 Jan 2005 17:28:54
Glfnaz
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

""R&B"" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "The World Wide Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> news:[email protected]
>> Didn't happen. The Tonight Show was tape-delayed, it was the
>> early 60s, there were staff lawyers on hand - there's no way in
>> hell that would have seen airtime.
>

> You're simply wrong there. In the earliest days of The Tonight Show
> starring Johnny Carson, the show was LIVE, not pre-recorded as it is
> today. In point of fact, this incident with Winnie Palmer might very well
> have been one of the main things that provided impetus for NBC to start
> doing the show on tape. Of that, one can only speculate. And I'm not
> absolutely certain about whether the show was still live when this
> incident occurred, but I know that (a.) it did happen, and (b.) The
> Tonight Show was broadcast live during Johnny's earliest days on the show.
>
> Few remember this, but for several years after Johnny took over the show
> from Jack Paar, the program ran for an hour and 45 minutes. It actually
> came on the air at 11:15 PM ET. Your late local news (on NBC affiliates,
> anyway) was only 15 minutes. The first 15 minutes of the show was filled
> with Skitch Henderson and the NBC Orchestra and Ed McMahon. Then Ed would
> introduce Johnny at 11:30. Carson did 90 minutes. Five nights a week.
> (No Monday substitute hosts back then.)
>
> This is another argument against the show being on videotape during those
> early days. The tapes themselves weren't long enough to hold 1:45 of
> programming, and the technology was still so primative, it's unclear if
> they could even do something as simple (by today's standards) as play the
> show from two separate reels.
>
> And like I said, it could be a moot point anyway, because we know for sure
> that in the early days, The Tonight Show was LIVE. No tape.
>
> Heck, videotape was still in its infancy at that time. Many of the old
> shows in the 60s that you would think had been preserved on tape weren't,
> simply because tape was a relatively unknown commodity and networks didn't
> have the equipment to record programs. Most programs back in those days
> were captured for archival purposes on kinescope, not videotape.
>
> Randy

I have no idea if it happened or not, but in those dats JC didn't come on at
8:30 PDT that I remember.
Of course, in fact, I probably only saw JC 6 times in my life.

26 Jan 2005 00:57:03
Bobby Knight
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:28:54 -0700, "Glfnaz" <[email protected] >
wrote:

<clip >
>> And like I said, it could be a moot point anyway, because we know for sure
>> that in the early days, The Tonight Show was LIVE. No tape.

Nope...they were taped. That changed during the Paar years. Carson
was on at 11:30pm Pacific time, and the taping was at 5:30pm.
__
o'

/
Someone likes every shot
bk

26 Jan 2005 01:05:45
Peter Strauss
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:13:19 GMT, ""R&B"" <[email protected] >
wrote:

> "Howard Brazee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > On 24-Jan-2005, ""R&B"" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> In all the highlights we've been seeing in the past 36 hours, one you
> >> won't
> >> see is the one that stands out in my mind as the funniest of all Carson
> >> moments. And it is, by far, the one that evoked the longest stretch of
> >> audience laughter on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.
> >
> > I've read that the longest sustained laughter of all US TV was the Ed Ames
> > incident on that show.
>

> And I saw that one when it happened, too.
>
> It was hilarious.

I saw that one, too. It was not hilarious. It was downright painful.
When I recovered from the shock, I laughed 'til I cried and my sides
hurt so badly I could hardly breathe.

25 Jan 2005 18:15:45
Annika1980
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

I liked the Tonight Show episode where a young Tiger Woods challenged
Ben Hogan to a putt-off.
Even at 3 years old, Tiger knew that Texas guys suck at putt-offs.

25 Jan 2005 18:16:17
Annika1980
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

I like the movie, "Big Fish."

25 Jan 2005 20:24:07
Colleyville Alan
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"Annika1980" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I liked the Tonight Show episode where a young Tiger Woods challenged
> Ben Hogan to a putt-off.
> Even at 3 years old, Tiger knew that Texas guys suck at putt-offs.

Ben Crenshaw notwithstanding.

26 Jan 2005 03:14:38
R&B
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

The closest I ever got to Shea Stadium is when we were driving from the
airport to Westchester.

We drove by it.

Randy

"bmickey9" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:BE1C3060.5F833%[email protected]

>> But the
>> coolest part of the evening was when I looked up from my spot in the
>> standing-room-only audience and noticed that standing right next to me
>> was
>> none other than George Harrison.
>
> Are you sure you weren't at Shea Stadium?
>
> bmickey9

26 Jan 2005 03:28:57
R&B
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

Whatever. Since you didn't see it, I guess it didn't happen. Is that it?

Randy

"multi" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:56:28 GMT, ""R&B"" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>>My recollection was that Carson's comeback was "I'll bet that makes his
>>putter rise," but I posted that here once a few years ago and someone
>>corrected me. I took their version as gospel, but now that I've read
>>John's
>>recollection of this (which is much closer to my own, and I know I saw it
>>live when it first aired on NBC), I now know that what I remembered was,
>>indeed, correct.
>
> I rest my case. What you "know" you saw changes with the last person
> you talk to.
>
> I take this a bit personally, because a few years ago I was on the
> wrong end of case concerning an eye-witness who was completely
> sincere, 100% sure, but absolutely wrong. Cost me some money, and a
> lot of aggravation.

26 Jan 2005 03:38:02
uncle k
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"Miss Anne Thrope" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> And yet, when I mention golfer's tiny white balls, or lack thereof, I'm
> called a troll.

Yeah, but you're a good troll. However, now you're being a whiner.

25 Jan 2005 19:48:28
The World Wide Wade
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

In article <[email protected] >,
multi <[email protected] > wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:15:32 GMT, ""R&B"" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Snopes.com is wrong.
> >
> >What's wrong with you people: You just assume that everything you read on
> >the internet is right?
>
> No, but when we are weighing unverified anecdotes against a website
> with some established credibility, we tend to go with the latter. The
> eyewitnesses in this thread are all over the map --- early sixties,
> late sixties, Arnie and Winne, Winnie alone. Snopes gives exact
> dates, and verbatim quotes from famous people. That doesn't prove
> they are right, but it sure doesn't make it an act of stupidity to
> believe their version.
>
> Also note that the Snopes entry was last updated in 1998. That's
> quite a long time for something demonstrably wrong to hang out there.
>
> >I really don't care if you believe it or not. At least two other people in
> >this thread saw it on NBC, too, as did I.
>
> Unfortunately, at least two other people in this thread saw it
> differently, i.e. with Winnie by herself. So what is wrong with you,
> why don't you believe them?
>
> > It happened. If you choose to
> >believe it didn't happen, it's no skin off my back. But you'd be wrong,
> >just as Snopes.com is.
>
> I believe something must have happened, and your version sounds more
> likely than Arnie's. That's a pretty big compliment to you, if you'd
> lower your outrage enough to notice. But without better evidence, I
> can only tend to believe your version, not accept it as Gospel.

But why must something have happened? I've heard this story a
zillion times. The first few million times, I was very young, but
it was Jack Paar - not Carson! And it was Winnie alone with Paar.
Then it morphed into Winnie alone with Carson. Cuz we all love
Johnny (Paar was great but just a bit weird), so it's gotta be
Johnny who made the uproarious crack. And now fast forward 43
years or so and it's the internet age. And like a good expensive
wine the story has aged nicely. So in this thread we have
definite eyewitnesses - THEY WERE THERE. And it's Arnie AND
Winnie, or wait, no, just Arnie. Uh huh. Yeah. Well at least the
Palmers didn't land in Burbank in a UFO. Good, that's progress
... Yes, and the show was tape-delayed by friggin' hours - I
think we've established that - and you have one of the world's
great and beloved sports figures of the era and there's all kinds
of NBC lawyers with frowns on their faces in the wings and
they're gonna let that thing out into the midnight TV air of the
red states? Jokes about almighty Arnold Palmer's genitalia? In
the early 60's when Rob and Laura Petrie are sleeping in separate
beds? This is a good friend of Dwight D. Eisenhower you know. And
there's no record of massive complaints to NBC and the newpapers
from TEXASS and LUZIANNA and MIZZIZZIPPI?

Snopes has it right. It's an old, old joke from the vaudeville
era, recirculated by the Bob Hope crowd, and recast with
celebrities of the age and spread around until it turns into
mythical reality.

26 Jan 2005 03:57:29
multi
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 03:28:57 GMT, ""R&B"" <[email protected] >
wrote:
>Whatever. Since you didn't see it, I guess it didn't happen. Is that it?

Here's a tip: If you want people to believe that you are accurately
reporting something that happened forty years ago, it doesn't help
your case to misrepresent something they said today.

26 Jan 2005 04:04:02
David Laville

wrote:

>What's wrong with you people: You just assume that everything you read on
>the internet is right?

You mean it's not? Come on, you're pulling my leg......

David Laville, G.S.E.M.
The Golfing Machine Authorized Instructor

25 Jan 2005 21:51:37
Mike Bowen
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

For what its worth I have heard of the story also. But even on the
"official" website they say it isn't true. It really seems that they don't
want the world to know.

http://www.johnnycarson.com/carson/dear_johnny/carson_chronicles/issue5.jsp

Tonight Show Fact # 281
After 30 years, rumors surrounding certain Tonight Show guests have grown to
near mythic proportions. One of the most famous involves Mrs. Arnold Palmer,
the legendary golfer’s wife and a question about what she does to bring her
husband luck on the links. To this day fans of the show not only repeat her
answer, (“I kiss his balls.”) but also Johnny’s quick-witted comeback (“I
bet that makes his putter stand up.”) However, the truth is that the
exchange never took place as Mrs. Palmer was never a guest on the show.

Also, like you, I went to a taping of the Tonight Show and the guest host
was McLean Stevenson. Don't remember much about it, though.

Mike Bowen

26 Jan 2005 07:41:13
R&B
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

Three people here have told you they saw it with their own eyes.

I have several friends who saw it with their own eyes.

All their stories are pretty similar, with a few minor inconsistencies, but
all have remarkably similar recollections of the same event.

None claimed to have "heard ABOUT it" or "read ABOUT it." They all said
they heard it and saw it when it originally aired on NBC-TV.

I know I saw it. And since it was before I indulged in hallucenagenic drugs
in the late '60s and early '70s, I am quite sure it actually happened. It's
all the stuff in between then and now that I'm not so sure of. :-)

Randy

> [...]
> Palmers didn't land in Burbank in a UFO. Good, that's progress
> ... Yes, and the show was tape-delayed by friggin' hours - I
> think we've established that - and you have one of the world's
> great and beloved sports figures of the era and there's all kinds
> of NBC lawyers with frowns on their faces in the wings and
> they're gonna let that thing out into the midnight TV air of the
> red states? Jokes about almighty Arnold Palmer's genitalia? In
> the early 60's when Rob and Laura Petrie are sleeping in separate
> beds? This is a good friend of Dwight D. Eisenhower you know. And
> there's no record of massive complaints to NBC and the newpapers
> from TEXASS and LUZIANNA and MIZZIZZIPPI?
>
> Snopes has it right. It's an old, old joke from the vaudeville
> era, recirculated by the Bob Hope crowd, and recast with
> celebrities of the age and spread around until it turns into

26 Jan 2005 07:42:26
R&B
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

Revisionist history. Probably stemming from the settlement of the lawsuit.

I know I saw it.

Randy

"Mike Bowen" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> For what its worth I have heard of the story also. But even on the
> "official" website they say it isn't true. It really seems that they
> don't
> want the world to know.
>
> http://www.johnnycarson.com/carson/dear_johnny/carson_chronicles/issue5.jsp
>
> Tonight Show Fact # 281
> After 30 years, rumors surrounding certain Tonight Show guests have grown
> near mythic proportions. One of the most famous involves Mrs. Arnold
> Palmer,
> the legendary golfer’s wife and a question about what she does to bring
> her
> husband luck on the links. To this day fans of the show not only repeat
> her
> answer, (“I kiss his balls.”) but also Johnny’s quick-witted comeback (“I
> bet that makes his putter stand up.”) However, the truth is that the
> exchange never took place as Mrs. Palmer was never a guest on the show.
>
> Also, like you, I went to a taping of the Tonight Show and the guest host
> was McLean Stevenson. Don't remember much about it, though.
>
> Mike Bowen

26 Jan 2005 03:19:58
John Da Ringer
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

Same thing here.

I didn't start sniffing laquer thinner until I turned 15 in 1974.

Da Ringer

BTW........

I also remember watching Kennedy's funeral. The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan
show. The Jets beating the Colts in Superbowl III, The Mets Beating the
Orioles in 69, The Gemini launches in the early and middle 60's, The moon
landing, Johnson's funeral, Wallace being shot, etc..........

If I say that I saw Winnie Palmer on the Tonight Show, you can bet your ass
that I saw it.

Da Ringer

""R&B"" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Three people here have told you they saw it with their own eyes.
>

> I know I saw it. And since it was before I indulged in hallucenagenic
> drugs in the late '60s and early '70s, I am quite sure it actually
> happened. It's all the stuff in between then and now that I'm not so sure
> of. :-)
>
> Randy

26 Jan 2005 03:31:08
John Da Ringer
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

My thoughts exactly.

The show with Winnie Palmer was in black and white.

Winnie Palmer was wearing an off-white dress with shoulder length dark hair.
Carson had a plaid type light colored jacket on and a microphone similar to
what Larry King uses on his show.

It probably happened somewhere around 1965 to 1967. I remember my sister
talking about at home and some of the kids at school talking about it just a
few days after it happened.

Tell me this??? If it didn't happen, then why were the kids (many) talking
about it at school. Hmmmmmmm...... very interesting.

There was also a time in 1981 when I was watching "Hart to Hart" with Robert
Wagoner and Stephanie Powers. The local station cut to a commercial around
midnight and instead of a commercial a porno flick came on the TV. It played
for about 10 to 15 seconds before it was cut.

The entire night crew was fired for that.

WRDW in Augusta made an apology the next day during the evening news.

Da Ringer

""R&B"" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Revisionist history. Probably stemming from the settlement of the
> lawsuit.
>
> I know I saw it.
>
> Randy

26 Jan 2005 08:04:33
Glfnaz
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"John "Da Ringer"" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Same thing here.
>
> I didn't start sniffing laquer thinner until I turned 15 in 1974.
>
> Da Ringer
>
> BTW........
>
> I also remember watching ......The Jets beating the Colts in Superbowl
> III,

Dude, I remember watching Broaday Joe sitting in a lounge chair by the pool
guaranteeing that victory to the media.
We must be the same age.
But unless you ever saw the Dead at Winterland...you ain't ever seen
nothing.

26 Jan 2005 15:33:06
multi
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 03:31:08 -0500, "John "Da Ringer""
<[email protected] > wrote:
>It probably happened somewhere around 1965 to 1967. I remember my sister
>talking about at home and some of the kids at school talking about it just a
>few days after it happened.
>
>Tell me this??? If it didn't happen, then why were the kids (many) talking
>about it at school. Hmmmmmmm...... very interesting.

Nice move. If we doubt your version (which contradicts that of other
people in the group), you produce a dozen more witnesses. Now we have
to doubt lots of people, which makes us stubborn and unreasonable.
Problem is, those kids didn't tell us they heard it, you told us, so
we still just have your word for it. Note that I am not questioning
your honesty here, I'm evaluating your logic.

Tell me this??? If Joseph Smith didn't receive the Book of Mormon on
tablets of gold from an angel, then why did so many people swear he
did? Hmmmmmmmm. Works for the Koran, too.

26 Jan 2005 08:00:53
Larry Bud
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

> Three people here have told you they saw it with their own eyes.
>
> I have several friends who saw it with their own eyes.
>
> All their stories are pretty similar, with a few minor
inconsistencies, but
> all have remarkably similar recollections of the same event.
>
> None claimed to have "heard ABOUT it" or "read ABOUT it." They all
said
> they heard it and saw it when it originally aired on NBC-TV.

Tonight Show Fact # 281
After 30 years, rumors surrounding certain Tonight Show guests have
grown to near mythic proportions. One of the most famous involves Mrs.
Arnold Palmer, the legendary golfer's wife and a question about what
she does to bring her husband luck on the links. To this day fans of
the show not only repeat her answer, ("I kiss his balls.") but also
Johnny's quick-witted comeback ("I bet that makes his putter stand
up.") However, the truth is that the exchange never took place as
Mrs. Palmer was never a guest on the show.

http://www.johnnycarson.com/carson/dear_johnny/carson_chronicles/issue5.jsp

26 Jan 2005 08:02:21
Larry Bud

"R&B" wrote:
> "Larry Bud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "R&B" wrote:
> >> In all the highlights we've been seeing in the past 36 hours, one
you
> > won't
> >> see is the one that stands out in my mind as the funniest of all
> > Carson
> >> moments. And it is, by far, the one that evoked the longest
stretch
> > of
> >> audience laughter on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.
> >>
> >> I was just a young boy when it happened, and I didn't really know
> > what they
> >> were talking about at the time. But I remember it pretty well,
> > mostly
> >> because of how the audience (and my parents) reacted. You won't
see
> > it
> >> replayed because it resulted in a lawsuit, and Carson Productions
> > probably
> >> is restrained from ever showing it again.
> >
> > So Randy, since we all know this is an urban legend, care to revise
> > your "memory"??
> >

> It's not an urban legend. I saw it myself. So did some of my
friends, a
> few of whom lived in another part of the country when it happened.
But we
> all remember it, and we basically remember it the same way.
>
> Snopes.com is wrong.
>
> What's wrong with you people: You just assume that everything you
read on
> the internet is right?

Did you even read Snopes.com? Leno had Arnie on the show in 1994 and
asked him about it. I'll believe a transcript of the show. 2nd, I'll
believe the official site of the Tonight Show as well:

http://www.johnnycarson.com/carson/dear_johnny/carson_chronicles/issue5.jsp
Tonight Show Fact # 281
After 30 years, rumors surrounding certain Tonight Show guests have
grown to near mythic proportions. One of the most famous involves Mrs.
Arnold Palmer, the legendary golfer's wife and a question about what
she does to bring her husband luck on the links. To this day fans of
the show not only repeat her answer, ("I kiss his balls.") but also
Johnny's quick-witted comeback ("I bet that makes his putter stand
up.") However, the truth is that the exchange never took place as
Mrs. Palmer was never a guest on the show.

On Leno:
Leno: . . . apparently Johnny said, "Is there anything your wife does
to bring you good luck?"

Palmer: No, Johnny said, "Does your wife kiss your balls before you
go to play?" and I said, "I don't even go to bed without pajamas."

Leno: I thought that was a tactful way . . . but thanks for getting
right to the point. So we cleared that up. That's like a famous one,
like Jack Benny's, "Your money or your life . . . I'm thinking it
over." I wanted to find out . . . so it is true?

Palmer: There you've got it. And I don't want to hear about it any
more.

26 Jan 2005 08:56:14
Dene
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"multi" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 03:31:08 -0500, "John "Da Ringer""

> Tell me this??? If Joseph Smith didn't receive the Book of Mormon on
> tablets of gold from an angel, then why did so many people swear he
> did?

You and Randy are eyewitnesses to this JC event. There were no eyewitnesses
to Joseph Smith's event.

-Greg

26 Jan 2005 11:37:10
John Da Ringer
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

You are one dumb sack of shit.

If the tape of Kennedy's assassination was lost today and no copies were
made, does that mean in 100 years that it did not happen?

No one will be around that saw the tape.

There is nothing wrong with my logic.

Da Ringer

"multi" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 03:31:08 -0500, "John "Da Ringer""
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>It probably happened somewhere around 1965 to 1967. I remember my sister
>>talking about at home and some of the kids at school talking about it just
>>few days after it happened.
>>
>>Tell me this??? If it didn't happen, then why were the kids (many) talking
>>about it at school. Hmmmmmmm...... very interesting.
>
> Nice move. If we doubt your version (which contradicts that of other
> people in the group), you produce a dozen more witnesses. Now we have
> to doubt lots of people, which makes us stubborn and unreasonable.
> Problem is, those kids didn't tell us they heard it, you told us, so
> we still just have your word for it. Note that I am not questioning
> your honesty here, I'm evaluating your logic.
>
> Tell me this??? If Joseph Smith didn't receive the Book of Mormon on
> tablets of gold from an angel, then why did so many people swear he
> did? Hmmmmmmmm. Works for the Koran, too.

26 Jan 2005 09:47:39
sjh

multi wrote:
> Tell me this??? If Joseph Smith didn't receive the Book of Mormon on
> tablets of gold from an angel, then why did so many people swear he
> did? Hmmmmmmmm.

Sounds like you're repeating ringer's argument.
So where's the gold then...

26 Jan 2005 18:18:35
multi
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:37:10 -0500, "John "Da Ringer""
<[email protected] > wrote:

>You are one dumb sack of shit.

Absolutely correct. It's bothered me for quite a long time.

>If the tape of Kennedy's assassination was lost today and no copies were
>made, does that mean in 100 years that it did not happen?

No, it would mean that every holder of every crackpot theory about the
assassination would claim that the disappearance of the tape was proof
that the government was trying to hide the truth.

I don't suppose the fact that we do have the tape, and that people who
have spent years studying it disagree on the number, direction, and
timing of the shots, makes the slightest dent in your belief that your
unsubstantiated memory should settle all questions.

>There is nothing wrong with my logic.

That statement is a great help to me in evaluating your credibility.

26 Jan 2005 18:26:01
multi
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:56:14 -0800, "Dene" <[email protected](nospam)ipns.com >
wrote:
> There were no eyewitnesses
>to Joseph Smith's event.

Actually, there were. At the beginning of the Book of Mormon is the
sworn testimony of eight eyewitnesses, besides Smith, who testify that
they saw the gold plates with their own eyes, and felt them with their
own hands. It's up to you whether to believe them, just like it's up
to you whether to believe the story about Winnie. Or the Koran.

26 Jan 2005 18:29:34
sfb
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

Your logic may be good, but your facts are not proving that eye
witnesses can be unreliable.

The Kennedy assassination tape is actually an 8mm movie film. When the
black helicopter guys transferred it to tape, they erased the pistol
from Jackie's hand.

"John "Da Ringer"" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> If the tape of Kennedy's assassination was lost today and no copies
> were made, does that mean in 100 years that it did not happen?
>
> No one will be around that saw the tape.
>
> There is nothing wrong with my logic.
>
> Da Ringer

26 Jan 2005 18:32:08
multi

On 26 Jan 2005 09:47:39 -0800, "sjh" <[email protected] > wrote:

>multi wrote:
>> Tell me this??? If Joseph Smith didn't receive the Book of Mormon on
>> tablets of gold from an angel, then why did so many people swear he
>> did? Hmmmmmmmm.
>
>Sounds like you're repeating ringer's argument.

Not much gets past you. Have you considered a career with the CIA?

>So where's the gold then...

In a vault, next to the tape of the Carson show. On top of NBC's
record of payment to the guests on that show. Underneath the public
record of the lawsuit the Palmers filed.

26 Jan 2005 10:49:45
sjh

multi wrote:

> she had walked
> around the neighborhood three times a week for the last ten years,
and
> she knew for a fact that there had been a wooden fence there until a
> couple weeks ago. I politely told her she was mistaken, and she
> became enraged, how dare I call her a liar, blah blah blah. In the
> end it was her word against mine, and she won. I had to pay several
> hundred bucks to replace a perfectly good fence and gate with an
> inferior one, and everybody at the Homeowner's office thought I was a
> liar.

You effectively were lying- you had an non-conforming fence!

26 Jan 2005 21:15:16
R&B
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

Thanks. We've already read these myth-busters.

However, it's revisionist history. I don't remember HEARING ABOUT this. I
remember WATCHING IT.

It hapened.

Those who are now saying it didn't happen are saying so because they have
some reason for not wanting it brought up again. The Carson Productions
people (or NBC) were just as embarrassed over it as was the Palmer family.
They are probably restrained from ever showing it again, and quite likely
have made a corporate decision to deny it, figuring it was so long ago,
nobody will remember it, and like some here, will simply not believe those
who remember seeing it.

Frankly, I don't much care whether you remember it or not. I know that I
saw it happen. And so do many others.

Randy

"Larry Bud" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>> Three people here have told you they saw it with their own eyes.
>>
>> I have several friends who saw it with their own eyes.
>>
>> All their stories are pretty similar, with a few minor
> inconsistencies, but
>> all have remarkably similar recollections of the same event.
>>
>> None claimed to have "heard ABOUT it" or "read ABOUT it." They all
> said
>> they heard it and saw it when it originally aired on NBC-TV.
>
> Tonight Show Fact # 281
> After 30 years, rumors surrounding certain Tonight Show guests have
> grown to near mythic proportions. One of the most famous involves Mrs.
> Arnold Palmer, the legendary golfer's wife and a question about what
> she does to bring her husband luck on the links. To this day fans of
> the show not only repeat her answer, ("I kiss his balls.") but also
> Johnny's quick-witted comeback ("I bet that makes his putter stand
> up.") However, the truth is that the exchange never took place as
> Mrs. Palmer was never a guest on the show.
>
> http://www.johnnycarson.com/carson/dear_johnny/carson_chronicles/issue5.jsp

27 Jan 2005 11:12:32
art_classmn
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

There is plenty wrong with our logic if you think your Kennedy story
applies at all.

27 Jan 2005 11:12:47
art_classmn
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

There is plenty wrong with your logic if you think your Kennedy story
applies at all.

27 Jan 2005 11:40:27
gman99
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

> I saw Jimi Hendrix on MTV Cribs.
I saw Elvis at the mall the other day...still kickin'

27 Jan 2005 23:21:28
The World Wide Wade

"gman99" <[email protected] > wrote:

> > I saw Jimi Hendrix on MTV Cribs.

> I saw Elvis at the mall the other day...still kickin'

If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators
would be dead. - Johnny Carson

28 Jan 2005 11:35:32
Bobby Knight
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 23:21:28 -0800, The World Wide Wade
<[email protected] > wrote:

>In article
><[email protected]>,
> "gman99" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> > I saw Jimi Hendrix on MTV Cribs.
>
>> I saw Elvis at the mall the other day...still kickin'
>
>If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators
>would be dead. - Johnny Carson

I truly wish that Elvis had lived and his music died.
__
o'

/
Someone likes every shot
bk

28 Jan 2005 16:32:07
kjpjr
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

And I saw bush tell the truth!

28 Jan 2005 17:01:19
Peter Strauss

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:32:07 GMT, "kjpjr" <[email protected] > wrote:

> And I saw bush tell the truth!

Now you've gone too far.

<plonk >

j/k
heheheh

28 Jan 2005 20:31:29
R&B
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

Yes, I read the Snopes article. And I wrote to them to inform them that
Arnie's recounting of this event was in error. Probably because he didn't
want to embarrass his family again by accurately restating what happened.

I saw the thing with my own eyes, so I know it happened. Arnie was covering
it up.

Randy

"Larry Bud" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "R&B" wrote:
>> "Larry Bud" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]

> you
>> > won't
>> > Carson
> stretch
>> > of

>> > what they
>> > mostly
> see
>> > it
>> > probably
>> >
>> > So Randy, since we all know this is an urban legend, care to revise
>> > your "memory"??
>> >

>> It's not an urban legend. I saw it myself. So did some of my
> friends, a
>> few of whom lived in another part of the country when it happened.
> But we
>> all remember it, and we basically remember it the same way.
>>
>> Snopes.com is wrong.
>>
>> What's wrong with you people: You just assume that everything you
> read on
>> the internet is right?
>
> Did you even read Snopes.com? Leno had Arnie on the show in 1994 and
> asked him about it. I'll believe a transcript of the show. 2nd, I'll
> believe the official site of the Tonight Show as well:
>
> http://www.johnnycarson.com/carson/dear_johnny/carson_chronicles/issue5.jsp
> Tonight Show Fact # 281
> After 30 years, rumors surrounding certain Tonight Show guests have
> grown to near mythic proportions. One of the most famous involves Mrs.
> Arnold Palmer, the legendary golfer's wife and a question about what
> she does to bring her husband luck on the links. To this day fans of
> the show not only repeat her answer, ("I kiss his balls.") but also
> Johnny's quick-witted comeback ("I bet that makes his putter stand
> up.") However, the truth is that the exchange never took place as
> Mrs. Palmer was never a guest on the show.
>
> On Leno:
> Leno: . . . apparently Johnny said, "Is there anything your wife does
> to bring you good luck?"
>
> Palmer: No, Johnny said, "Does your wife kiss your balls before you
> go to play?" and I said, "I don't even go to bed without pajamas."
>
> Leno: I thought that was a tactful way . . . but thanks for getting
> right to the point. So we cleared that up. That's like a famous one,
> like Jack Benny's, "Your money or your life . . . I'm thinking it
> over." I wanted to find out . . . so it is true?
>
> Palmer: There you've got it. And I don't want to hear about it any
> more.

30 Jan 2005 16:44:31
DanL
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

"Bobby Knight" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:28:54 -0700, "Glfnaz" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> <clip>
>>> And like I said, it could be a moot point anyway, because we know for
>>> sure
>>> that in the early days, The Tonight Show was LIVE. No tape.
>>>
> Nope...they were taped. That changed during the Paar years. Carson
> was on at 11:30pm Pacific time, and the taping was at 5:30pm.
> __

So much for knowing "for sure"..... lol

30 Jan 2005 12:40:13
Loudon Briggs

"DanL" <[email protected] > wrote:

>"Bobby Knight" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:28:54 -0700, "Glfnaz" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> <clip>
>>>>
>> Nope...they were taped. That changed during the Paar years. Carson
>> was on at 11:30pm Pacific time, and the taping was at 5:30pm.
>> __
>
>So much for knowing "for sure"..... lol

I don't happen to remember this happening, and what makes me a bit
skeptical is the 6 hour difference between taping and showing.
Allowing for this, why would this incident be left in during the
showing?

I first heard about it from this quote...

"One of the reasons Arnie (Arnold Palmer) is playing so well
is that, before each tee-shot, his wife takes out his balls and
kisses them........... Oh my God, what have I just said?"
(USTV commentator) Sandi)

Now, whether she was quoting something she had heard on the Tonight
Show, or from some other source, I don't know!

--

Loudon R. Briggs [email protected] Phoenix, AZ

"How Can You Not Like A Game Where It's Okay To
Get Teed Off, Tote A Six-Iron, Shoot Birdies,
and If You're Under Par It's A Great Day!"

(from "Frank & Ernest" by Bob Thaves -- used with permission)

30 Jan 2005 20:18:21
Bobby Knight
Re: My favorite Johnny Carson moment (it's about golf)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:40:13 -0700, Loudon Briggs <[email protected] >
wrote:

>>"Bobby Knight" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]

<clip >

>>> Nope...they were taped. That changed during the Paar years. Carson
>>> was on at 11:30pm Pacific time, and the taping was at 5:30pm.
>>> __

<clip >

>I don't happen to remember this happening, and what makes me a bit
>skeptical is the 6 hour difference between taping and showing.
>Allowing for this, why would this incident be left in during the
>showing?

Actually, the taping may have been at 4:30. I only did the Tonight
show once, and that was when Skitch Henderson was the leader. Once
they moved to California, Doc was the leader and staffed his band with
his regulars, and they just didn't miss doing the show, for good
reason.

I thought that I saw this happen, but in fact, it was over 35 years
ago, and there are a lot of things that I "remember" that I've been
corrected on. It probably is an urban myth that I've allowed my
selective memory to believe.
<clip >

__
o'

/
Someone likes every shot*
bk

31 Jan 2005 09:24:12

""R&B"" <[email protected] > writes:
> coolest part of the evening was when I looked up from my spot in the
> standing-room-only audience and noticed that standing right next to me was
> none other than George Harrison.

Urban Legend. George never went to a Leo Sayer concert:

http://www.snopes.com/randy.has.false.memories.html

01 Feb 2005 00:25:37
Peter Strauss

On 31 Jan 2005 09:24:12 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

> ""R&B"" <[email protected]> writes:
> > coolest part of the evening was when I looked up from my spot in the
> > standing-room-only audience and noticed that standing right next to me was
> > none other than George Harrison.
>
> Urban Legend. George never went to a Leo Sayer concert:
>
> http://www.snopes.com/randy.has.false.memories.html

Urban legend about urban legend. Thor never really checked up on
Randy.

http://www.snopes.com/thor.doesn't.know.how.to.snope.html