26 May 2004 08:39:02
Lion
A-5 vs spyder e-markers

I'm new to paintball and am looking to buy a a gun in the $200-$350
range. The Sypder e-markers seem to have a huge number of features,
rivaling even Angels. What's missing on the $200 Spyder e-markers
that makes people choose a $500 gun like the Smart Parts Impulse?

Basically, my choice comes down to a Spyder Fenix or an A-5 at similar
prices. I know the A-5 is considered more dependable but I'm a rec
player and only go once a month, so I don't expect my gun to take much
punishment.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

26 May 2004 14:49:24
Chris Phillipo
Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers

In article <[email protected] >,
[email protected] says...
> I'm new to paintball and am looking to buy a a gun in the $200-$350
> range. The Sypder e-markers seem to have a huge number of features,
> rivaling even Angels. What's missing on the $200 Spyder e-markers
> that makes people choose a $500 gun like the Smart Parts Impulse?
>
> Basically, my choice comes down to a Spyder Fenix or an A-5 at similar
> prices. I know the A-5 is considered more dependable but I'm a rec
> player and only go once a month, so I don't expect my gun to take much
> punishment.
>
> I'd appreciate your thoughts.

The main feature they don't mention is it's ability to blend balls into
a fre flowing liquid. I would get a PMI E-Force before a Spyder.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

26 May 2004 12:51:19
Cybershark
Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers

honestly...not that much....you're looking mostly at small differences in
things like flow rates and craftsmanship.

One of the guys I play with just bought a fenix last week...I was messing
with it on sunday to see how it stood up. It's a pretty impressive little
gun. I shoot an ebladed 03 autococker, so there's your reference to the
higher end guns...here's a very minimally biased breakdown (I can't quite
say unbiased since one is mine and the other isn't):

Looks:
the spyder looks like every other spyder, it has an acceptable mill and anno
job, but nothing fancy

the cocker isn't that much better in the milling department...although it's
a little more refined looking and the anno is a solid fluid color that
doesn't have any pools, light spots, or variance

Fire Rate:
the fenix is capped at 13 balls/sec in full auto and I am unaware if there
is a semi auto cap

the autococker being a tournament level gun eliminates illegal modes and is
a pure uncapped semi auto with adjustable timing (you get to control how
long each step of the cycle takes to make your individual marker perform at
it's peak efficiency and/or fire rate)

consistency:
I have a palmer stabilizer on my autococker's vertical input...this combined
with a carefully matched spring set in the valve and the fact that only the
hammer is slung at the valve when firing allows the cocker to keep an
extremely tight velocity pattern (+/- 5fps)
The fenix in stock configuration was varying between about 255 and 290....a
better regulator and well tuned spring kit could solve some of this, but
nothing is going to get it's consistency as tight as the autococker. It's
mostly due to the fact that there is more cycling mass in the spyder and
it's more prone to varying degrees of drag on the chamber walls of the
gun...also the fit of the individual ball to the breech of the gun makes a
difference because the hammer is linked to the bolt and the drag of each
ball is also added to the variance.

recoil:
Here the linked hammer/bolt design comes up again. The autococker's
percieved accuracy is higher because there is less mass moving when the gun
fires. in the cocker the bolt is completely independent of the hammer while
firing. Only on the recock stroke (after the ball is gone) do they link up
and move as one. This leads to a more stable shooting platform. The cocker
barely shifts at all whereas the spyder has a notable (yet small) jerk to it

Trigger:
The trigger in the spyder is a simple clicking switch...it feels light and
clicks with an audible noise and a little mushiness

The cocker uses a magnetically returned trigger that breaks an optical beam.
There is no mush in this trigger. the magnetic pull is smooth and tight
with no slop...the trigger is also extremely adjustable. I can make it so
light that the gun can fire itself, or tight enough that it returns
instantly. I can also adjust forward and backward stops to keep the trigger
confined to my liking. I have it set with the hardest return force, but
only about 1mm of travel with activation towards the back of that 1mm...this
kind of fine tuning is included with the eblade, but you're on your own for
the spyder.

Grips:
Grips can make a difference if you're playing all day...and they can improve
your snap shooting...sadly many electro guns don't use 45 grips, but the
spyder take is notoriously awkward...the grips feel blocky...and while the
Eblade actually has a larger grip frame it uses extremly soft ribbed rubber
grips to make the grasp very firm and very nice...pick up an eblade
sometime...you'll definitely notice that right away...

Eyes:
the cocker has one...and it never chops...they spyder doesn't, and if you
use a loader that cant' keep up it will chop...no real ifs ands or buts
about it here

Final breakdown:
both shoot pretty fast, the fenix has some extra firemodes, but honestly
you'll probably grow out of them if they interest you at all right
now...most people do

both fire pretty much identically on distance and accuracy depending on what
the quality of barrel they use. Put a dye stainless barrel on each gun with
properly matched paint and they both do just about the same job, but if
you're burst firing the spyder's accuracy will break down more because of
the linked firing mode...the cocker's pneumatically driven mode adds parts,
but reduces kick...an impulse or matrix style gun can even reduce this kick
further

reliability...some people will tell you that a blowback gun is more
reliable. Most blowbacks don't have too many problems that take them out of
the game, but they do have problems that go unnoticed and kill their
effectiveness. Damaged bolt/hammer o-rings can cause excessive amounts of
blowback air to enter your hopper or cause double firing that chops ammo.
This can also lead to poor efficiency on gas. The gun is usually playable
though, and only leaking when fired so you don't hear it. Therefore it is
played with. A leaking cocker, matrix, or impulse can be played with just
as well, but it will kill your efficiency and can lead to similar cycling
problems...the biggest difference is that these guns have more places where
things can go wrong...I've been playing for about 8 years now and I've seen
everything possible go wrong on a gun...honestly any design out there is
gonna give you some problems once in a while...the spyder will be easier to
service, but may be harder to diagnose...cockers are usually easy to
diagnose (the problem is where the hissing is)...

cash you drop on your gun means that's how good you are on the field...I
have a friend who's never given up his VM-68 and can still be a perfectly
effective rec player...if his VM could fire faster he'd be just fine at
speedball or tourney play too...the fenix would fire plenty fast for tourney
play...but you'd never get respected by the angel toting boys at the
field...if you don't care about this then congratulations, you're a
paintballer and not a prissy bitch...look out...there aren't all that many
of us left

Honestly, there is no gigantic difference between the entire gamut of guns
out there...kingman's craftsmanship is pretty good...it's excellent for what
you get...tippmann and PMI are the only other people that make a gun in that
price range that goes that cheap...if peak features like fire rate and air
ram designs (like timmys and angels) are what you crave for that extra tight
efficiency and tiny recoil then I'd honestly suggest you look at a BK0...The
bushmaster is a solid gun that shows great workmanship and uses all the same
functionality of those $1000+ guns you'll see on the field...also it's under
$300...it won't get you the instant respect that the flashy little angel A4
would win you, but it also won't kill your wallet and will still perform
just as well...frankly I'd rather earn my reputation instead of have my gun
try to buy it for me...also if you play a game with your flashy A4 and don't
show some serious skill...then you'll be that guy with too much cash and not
enough talent...which is probably a much more awful thing than being that
guy with the "crappy gun" that's killin' everyone

I used an ebladed cocker for most of my comparisons here, and you asked
about an impulse...the impulse has even less kick to it...most other
features are about on target...although only the new Angels have the same
trigger mechanics...hold an eblade if you ever get the chance and fire a few
through it...magnetically returned optical triggers are just about
perfect...atleast in my opinion...

some gun suggestions if you want something slightly better than the fenix
without killing the bank:

Bushmasters of any type...BK0 is all performance, no looks...the others get
a bit flashier and have a few more features...all up to your budget

matrixes...if you can get over the awful looks of a stock matrix they are
amazing guns to shoot...if you've got heaps of cash to blow then you could
get something better looking, but remember that looks is 80% of what your
buying down that road

ebladed cockers:
Steer clear of the Dragunfly series of guns from Dragun Empire...they have
some serious quality control problems...
The Xonik guns from System X are perfect Eblade knockoffs (right down to the
trigger mechanics)...they also perform solidly...they don't have the
greatest reputation, but believe me it's mostly because it's a knockoff
gun...the work, milling, anno, and performance are all top notch...try
doropaintball.com if you want one (my roommates shopping for one of these
right now, so i've been reading up on them)
most of all I will tell you go to www.pbnation.com guns are like
cars...unless you absolutely have to have brand new...you'll save a hell of
a lot of cash with used...just be careful if it's your first internet
trade...don't do anything dumb like use western union...

any readers of this feel free to contact me...and anyone that wants to host
this please do...I wrote way more than I expected and I should probably keep
it...there's about 3 times a week this needs to be posted here...

ken

hope this helps...
"Lion" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I'm new to paintball and am looking to buy a a gun in the $200-$350
> range. The Sypder e-markers seem to have a huge number of features,
> rivaling even Angels. What's missing on the $200 Spyder e-markers
> that makes people choose a $500 gun like the Smart Parts Impulse?
>
> Basically, my choice comes down to a Spyder Fenix or an A-5 at similar
> prices. I know the A-5 is considered more dependable but I'm a rec
> player and only go once a month, so I don't expect my gun to take much
> punishment.
>
> I'd appreciate your thoughts.

26 May 2004 12:56:26
Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers

[email protected] (Lion) wrote in news:b5d27558.0405260739.42381456
@posting.google.com:

> I'm new to paintball and am looking to buy a a gun in the $200-$350
> range. The Sypder e-markers seem to have a huge number of features,
> rivaling even Angels. What's missing on the $200 Spyder e-markers
> that makes people choose a $500 gun like the Smart Parts Impulse?
>
> Basically, my choice comes down to a Spyder Fenix or an A-5 at similar
> prices. I know the A-5 is considered more dependable but I'm a rec
> player and only go once a month, so I don't expect my gun to take much
> punishment.
>
> I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Many of my friends have spiders and they work just fine. I have an a5
that I like a lot. The primary advantage of the a5 is the cyclone feeder
(IMHO) --

If you want a high rate of fire with spiders (and all other guns) you'll
need to get some kind of electric hopper. The a5 doesn't need one and it
is uber reliable. I've still not broken a ball with that thing.

-z

26 May 2004 21:56:13
MathU41
Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers

>I'm new to paintball and am looking to buy a a gun in the $200-$350
>range. The Sypder e-markers seem to have a huge number of features,
>rivaling even Angels. What's missing on the $200 Spyder e-markers
>that makes people choose a $500 gun like the Smart Parts Impulse?

Impulses are made a bit better, not the same 'assembly line' manufacture of a
Spyder. They shoot more consistently, with less recoil, and are upgradable to
pro tournament grade, whereass Spyders aren't. They also have an 'eye', which
prevents them from chopping. A Spyder with that would be wonderful.
Also, a lot of the modes on the grip frame are ruled illegal at most fields,
and semi-auto is the only tournament legal one.

>Basically, my choice comes down to a Spyder Fenix or an A-5 at similar
>prices. I know the A-5 is considered more dependable but I'm a rec
>player and only go once a month, so I don't expect my gun to take much
>punishment.

Since you don't go often, I'm guessing you'll be using Co2. A5's take it well,
but Spyders freeze up pretty suddenly when you really get on the trigger. The
A5 has it's own built in force-feed hopper, which both feeds it as quick as you
pull the trigger, and works as an anti-chop system. If there's not a ball
ready to be fired, it won't push it halfway in. You won't have to buy a $75
hopper for your A5 like you would your Spyder. If you really need the ROF the
electro Spyder can give you, you can always upgrade to an e-grip or a response
trigger.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Spyder, but an A5 will take a lot of punishment,
and can put up with somone that doesn't know how or want to put much time into
it.

27 May 2004 03:15:45
Todd7
Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers

In choosing between the spyder and the a-5 you should choose on what
feels best to you and which one you like shooting best. They are
both reliable guns and have similar performance, at least close
enough you won't notice the difference on the field. I have used
spyders and spyder clones for almost four years. Rarely does it
break, when it does it is usually a simple replacement of an o-ring.

The spyder will require an electronic hopper to keep up with the
13bps rate of fire.

For the spyder to get decent consistency with co2 I had to put an
anti-syphon tube in the tank ($5.00) and add a pmi regulator
($45.00). But the best answer is to get an air/nitro tank ($100+).

Someone wrote the spyder has a lot of recoil. I played with mine for
two years before I realized it had recoil:) If I hold it lightly
balanced and fire it then you will see that there is some recoil.
But under normal playing conditions I don't notice it. I have shot
some of the higher end markers and they did not have any noticable
recoil. In therory that is nice, but practically would I pay $500
more for that, no. Of course I am a rec player, and I am sure it
makes a difference to the high end tournament players.

I prefer the spyder because of the feel of it and with a drop forward
you can get it in tight with your body for working around bunkers. I
guess the a-5 can have one put on it, I just don't ever see anyone
with an a-5 and a drop forward at my field.

27 May 2004 00:34:25
Insane Ranter
Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers

"Todd7" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In choosing between the spyder and the a-5 you should choose on what
> feels best to you and which one you like shooting best. They are
> both reliable guns and have similar performance, at least close
> enough you won't notice the difference on the field. I have used
> spyders and spyder clones for almost four years. Rarely does it
> break, when it does it is usually a simple replacement of an o-ring.
>
> The spyder will require an electronic hopper to keep up with the
> 13bps rate of fire.

Share what your smoking!!

28 May 2004 13:35:25
LCT Paintball
Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers

They also forgot to mention the Spyders uncanny ability to shake every bolt
in the marker loose. If you get a Spyder, invest in some locktite.

--
"Don't be misled, bad company corrupts good character."
www.LCTPaintball.com

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > I'm new to paintball and am looking to buy a a gun in the $200-$350
> > range. The Sypder e-markers seem to have a huge number of features,
> > rivaling even Angels. What's missing on the $200 Spyder e-markers
> > that makes people choose a $500 gun like the Smart Parts Impulse?
> >
> > Basically, my choice comes down to a Spyder Fenix or an A-5 at similar
> > prices. I know the A-5 is considered more dependable but I'm a rec
> > player and only go once a month, so I don't expect my gun to take much
> > punishment.
> >
> > I'd appreciate your thoughts.
> >

> The main feature they don't mention is it's ability to blend balls into
> a fre flowing liquid. I would get a PMI E-Force before a Spyder.
> --
> _________________________
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
> http://www.ramsays-online.com

28 May 2004 11:03:02
Mike
Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers

I think you have to look at your statement saying your rec ball player. most
fields won't let you use Full Auto because of insurance reasons. and if you
playing rec ball does your rate of fire truelly matter when most of the
other players are using stock rental model 98s or something similar without
an electronic hopper. I've owned a Spyder SPecial Addition and now own a
tippmann 98 and a tippmann A5 all three are sound markers but for rec ball I
love my A5. only draw back is its an AIR HOG
"Insane Ranter" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Todd7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > In choosing between the spyder and the a-5 you should choose on what
> > feels best to you and which one you like shooting best. They are
> > both reliable guns and have similar performance, at least close
> > enough you won't notice the difference on the field. I have used
> > spyders and spyder clones for almost four years. Rarely does it
> > break, when it does it is usually a simple replacement of an o-ring.
> >
> > The spyder will require an electronic hopper to keep up with the
> > 13bps rate of fire.
>
> Share what your smoking!!

28 May 2004 11:52:19
Randy Given
Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers

> I think you have to look at your statement saying your rec ball player.
most
> fields won't let you use Full Auto because of insurance reasons. and if
you
> playing rec ball does your rate of fire truelly matter when most of the
> other players are using stock rental model 98s or something similar
without
> an electronic hopper. I've owned a Spyder SPecial Addition and now own a
> tippmann 98 and a tippmann A5 all three are sound markers but for rec ball
> love my A5. only draw back is its an AIR HOG

I have heard that the stock barrel on the A5 is way inaccurate.

28 May 2004 14:59:46
Chris Phillipo
Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers

In article <[email protected] >, [email protected] says...
> > I think you have to look at your statement saying your rec ball player.
> most
> > fields won't let you use Full Auto because of insurance reasons. and if
> you
> > playing rec ball does your rate of fire truelly matter when most of the
> > other players are using stock rental model 98s or something similar
> without
> > an electronic hopper. I've owned a Spyder SPecial Addition and now own a
> > tippmann 98 and a tippmann A5 all three are sound markers but for rec ball
> > love my A5. only draw back is its an AIR HOG
>
> I have heard that the stock barrel on the A5 is way inaccurate.

It's pretty good, for a tent peg. Not much good for shooting with
though.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

29 May 2004 03:30:56
Todd7
Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers

"Mike" <[email protected] > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I think you have to look at your statement saying your rec ball
> player. most fields won't let you use Full Auto because of
insurance
> reasons. and if you playing rec ball does your rate of fire truelly
> matter when most of the other players are using stock rental model
98s
> or something similar without an electronic hopper. I've owned a
Spyder
> SPecial Addition and now own a tippmann 98 and a tippmann A5 all
three
> are sound markers but for rec ball I love my A5. only draw back is
its
> an AIR HOG
I agree the fields won't let you use full auto, but if you are able
to get on the trigger (in semi auto mode) it doesn't take much speed
before a non-aggitated hopper won't keep up.

29 May 2004 11:55:33
Mike
Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers

I agree with that Todd. I'm just saying he said he's a rec ball player why
in the world would he even think he needs to shoot 13bps at full auto. the
A5 will shoot more then that and that is semi auto. maybe not for a
sustained amount of time but why waste money on a gun that shoots full auto
when he's playing rec ball. whats that going to accomplish painting the tree
infront of the guy he's shooting at faster?? by the time he gets what he's
going to need to make the spyder work at full auto without constantly
freezing he could have an A5 and a Model 98.
"Todd7" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > I think you have to look at your statement saying your rec ball
> > player. most fields won't let you use Full Auto because of
> insurance
> > reasons. and if you playing rec ball does your rate of fire truelly
> > matter when most of the other players are using stock rental model
> 98s
> > or something similar without an electronic hopper. I've owned a
> Spyder
> > SPecial Addition and now own a tippmann 98 and a tippmann A5 all
> three
> > are sound markers but for rec ball I love my A5. only draw back is
> its
> > an AIR HOG
> I agree the fields won't let you use full auto, but if you are able
> to get on the trigger (in semi auto mode) it doesn't take much speed
> before a non-aggitated hopper won't keep up.

01 Jun 2004 10:36:29
Lion
Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers

I ended up buying a Piranha EXT 2004 for $230. My father bought an
A-5 (also $230) with a flatline barrell. So, I'll get to test both
side by side and report back.

[email protected] (Lion) wrote in message news:<[email protected] >...
> I'm new to paintball and am looking to buy a a gun in the $200-$350
> range. The Sypder e-markers seem to have a huge number of features,
> rivaling even Angels. What's missing on the $200 Spyder e-markers
> that makes people choose a $500 gun like the Smart Parts Impulse?
>
> Basically, my choice comes down to a Spyder Fenix or an A-5 at similar
> prices. I know the A-5 is considered more dependable but I'm a rec
> player and only go once a month, so I don't expect my gun to take much
> punishment.
>
> I'd appreciate your thoughts.

01 Jun 2004 15:20:24
John Wood
Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers

The A-5 is a solid gun, the cyclone feed system is very fast and all that
jazz. But haven't you noticed that the A-5 weighs about twenty pounds. At
least you can upgrade an e-spyder to make it tournement ready, what can you
do to an A-5? Make it waste MORE gas by getting a response trigger? You can
put a T-Board w/ a vision system on a spyder and then you have NO CAP at
all(thats as fast as your finger twitches) . So pretty much, e-spyders are
infinitly better than any tippman.

"Mike" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I agree with that Todd. I'm just saying he said he's a rec ball player why
> in the world would he even think he needs to shoot 13bps at full auto. the
> A5 will shoot more then that and that is semi auto. maybe not for a
> sustained amount of time but why waste money on a gun that shoots full
auto
> when he's playing rec ball. whats that going to accomplish painting the
tree
> infront of the guy he's shooting at faster?? by the time he gets what
he's
> going to need to make the spyder work at full auto without constantly
> freezing he could have an A5 and a Model 98.
> "Todd7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > news:[email protected]:
> >
> > > I think you have to look at your statement saying your rec ball
> > > player. most fields won't let you use Full Auto because of
> > insurance
> > > reasons. and if you playing rec ball does your rate of fire truelly
> > > matter when most of the other players are using stock rental model
> > 98s
> > > or something similar without an electronic hopper. I've owned a
> > Spyder
> > > SPecial Addition and now own a tippmann 98 and a tippmann A5 all
> > three
> > > are sound markers but for rec ball I love my A5. only draw back is
> > its
> > > an AIR HOG

01 Jun 2004 20:49:12
Insane Ranter
Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers

"John Wood" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> The A-5 is a solid gun, the cyclone feed system is very fast and all that
> jazz. But haven't you noticed that the A-5 weighs about twenty pounds. At
> least you can upgrade an e-spyder to make it tournement ready, what can
you
> do to an A-5? Make it waste MORE gas by getting a response trigger? You
can
> put a T-Board w/ a vision system on a spyder and then you have NO CAP at
> all(thats as fast as your finger twitches) . So pretty much, e-spyders are
> infinitly better than any tippman.

response trigger isn't tourney legal last i checked...

Stop speaking crap. Go run around in the playground to get your head clear
from all that crack

02 Jun 2004 10:34:47
Mike
Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers

how about the EGRIP on the A5 the tippmann teams uses them in NPPL and they
placed quite well several times in the novice and amateur classes. the A5
has plenty of upgrades that will make it just as fast or faster then a
spyder without havign to spend $80 or more on a hopper that can keep up. and
if you add the low pressure kit it become much more efficient with gas
comsumption.
"Lion" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I ended up buying a Piranha EXT 2004 for $230. My father bought an
> A-5 (also $230) with a flatline barrell. So, I'll get to test both
> side by side and report back.
>

> [email protected] (Lion) wrote in message
news:<[email protected] >...
> > I'm new to paintball and am looking to buy a a gun in the $200-$350
> > range. The Sypder e-markers seem to have a huge number of features,
> > rivaling even Angels. What's missing on the $200 Spyder e-markers
> > that makes people choose a $500 gun like the Smart Parts Impulse?
> >
> > Basically, my choice comes down to a Spyder Fenix or an A-5 at similar
> > prices. I know the A-5 is considered more dependable but I'm a rec
> > player and only go once a month, so I don't expect my gun to take much
> > punishment.
> >
> > I'd appreciate your thoughts.

02 Jun 2004 12:06:42
Chris Phillipo
Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers

In article <[email protected] >, [email protected]
says...
> Subject: Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers
> From: "John Wood" <[email protected]>
> Newsgroups: rec.sport.paintball
>
> The A-5 is a solid gun, the cyclone feed system is very fast and all that
> jazz. But haven't you noticed that the A-5 weighs about twenty pounds. At
> least you can upgrade an e-spyder to make it tournement ready, what can you
> do to an A-5? Make it waste MORE gas by getting a response trigger? You can
> put a T-Board w/ a vision system on a spyder and then you have NO CAP at
> all(thats as fast as your finger twitches) . So pretty much, e-spyders are
> infinitly better than any tippman.

Hello, e-grip?
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

04 Jun 2004 07:40:57
yugo
Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers

i nknow u already done your purchase, but here was the T-board site,
http://www.scenariodreams.com/

and everything on spyder, http://www.ottersccustoms.com/t-board.html

14 Jun 2004 08:50:04
Lion
Re: A-5 vs spyder e-markers

I played paintball this weekend and compared the Piranha EXT 2004 with
the Tippman A-5 w/flatline barrell.

I bought an Evo II agitated hopper but didn't realize I would have to
sand it down, so I just used a regular hopper in the Piranha EXT. To
my surprise, it played fine with the stock hopper. I was able to
shoot 8 balls per second with no problems. At around 10 it started to
fire blanks, but it still didn't chop any balls.

Here's the comparison (by a beginner after 7 hours of play):

The Piranha had a much higher rate of fire than the A-5 in semi-mode
because of the electronic trigger that takes less force and resets
faster. A response trigger on the A-5 or electronic grip upgrade
would probably equalize this, but those are half the price of the gun
itself. The biggest problem with the A-5 was that it guzzled
ridiculous amounts of CO2. The velocity dropped significantly (by
over 50 fps) after just 350 shots with a 16 oz CO2 tank. This was
probably worsened by the flatline barrel. The Piranha lasted twice as
long, and the velocity drop was less. This was probably due to the
low pressure regulator that comes standard with the Piranha. You can
add a low pressure system to the A-5, but that puts it into a
different price range.

The flatline barrel lived up to its reputation of adding distance, but
the accuracy wasn't great. The balls curved left or right quite a
bit. The piranha's stock barrel seemed reasonable, although I don't
have any high-end barrels to compare it to.

The A-5s greatest advantages for me were its great sight (the
piranha's sight is blocked by the hopper), and its forward grip.
Holding on to the piranha is a little awkward because the regulator is
so close to the grip.

I haven't tried the A-5 upgrades, but it seems like an A-5 with low
pressure system and response trigger would be about equal to the stock
piranha EXT, but the A-5 would then cost about double.

Of course, tippman markers are known for their durability and I can't
take that into account yet.

Overall, I'd recommend the EXT.