18 Jul 2004 09:12:00
jim
Autococker

I have been playing for for some time now and I am ready to buy a new gun. I
am very interested in buying an Autococker and am wondering are they worth
all the hype and how easy are to care for? I am in the military and work in
a mechanical field onboard subs so the mechanical knowledge is there. Any
major things I should no or be aware of are greatly appreciated. Also im
considering this as my son is noww playing and I want to give hime my Spyder
electra I purchased for $75 at a local pawn shop.

18 Jul 2004 13:54:43
Jens Goerke
Re: Autococker

Quoth jim ([email protected]):
> I have been playing for for some time now and I am ready to buy a new gun. I
> am very interested in buying an Autococker and am wondering are they worth
> all the hype and how easy are to care for? I am in the military and work in
> a mechanical field onboard subs so the mechanical knowledge is there. Any
> major things I should no or be aware of are greatly appreciated. Also im
> considering this as my son is noww playing and I want to give hime my Spyder
> electra I purchased for $75 at a local pawn shop.

After trying out several different markers I still stick to my
`99 Autococker, mostly because it's reliable and stable as a
rock. When I bought it, it didn't work, but after a lazy weekend
of carefully adjusting and re-aligning I found and fixed the
original problem (pneumatics regulator set too low), and had it
up and running. A few months later I upgraded to grip to a hinge
Blade, and the 3-way to a Shocktech "Da Bomb". Since then it hasn't
required any adjustments or maintenance beyond cleaning/oiling.

Just my $.02,
Jens
--
You can't out-sarcasm reality.

18 Jul 2004 09:46:50
Gypsy06
Re: Autococker

The cocker is no harder to care for than any other mid to high level gun.
Just general cleaning and oiling are all you ever really need to do to keep
them running forever. With it's popularity you can easily find any parts you
might need and the upgrade path is more or less unlimited. Also there are
probably hundreds of web sites with information on things like timing and
upgrades. Just do a google search for owners groups and bang more info then
you can use. The only word of caution I would have is that once you get it
timed and set up don't mess with it unless it stops working, in this case if
it ain't broke don't fix it is probably good advice. With regard to the
"hype" the cocker shoots as well as any other gun with a good barrel to
paint match. No it won't shoot farther or flatter but it does look better
while shooting than most guns. For some reason watching that back block
cycle is kind of hypnotic to me.

"jim" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have been playing for for some time now and I am ready to buy a new gun.
> am very interested in buying an Autococker and am wondering are they worth
> all the hype and how easy are to care for? I am in the military and work
in
> a mechanical field onboard subs so the mechanical knowledge is there. Any
> major things I should no or be aware of are greatly appreciated. Also im
> considering this as my son is noww playing and I want to give hime my
Spyder
> electra I purchased for $75 at a local pawn shop.

18 Jul 2004 14:32:54
jim
Re: Autococker

I heard the Cocker shoot more accuratee than others due to the way they are
made? Is this true?
"Gypsy06" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> The cocker is no harder to care for than any other mid to high level gun.
> Just general cleaning and oiling are all you ever really need to do to
keep
> them running forever. With it's popularity you can easily find any parts
you
> might need and the upgrade path is more or less unlimited. Also there are
> probably hundreds of web sites with information on things like timing and
> upgrades. Just do a google search for owners groups and bang more info
then
> you can use. The only word of caution I would have is that once you get it
> timed and set up don't mess with it unless it stops working, in this case
if
> it ain't broke don't fix it is probably good advice. With regard to the
> "hype" the cocker shoots as well as any other gun with a good barrel to
> paint match. No it won't shoot farther or flatter but it does look better
> while shooting than most guns. For some reason watching that back block
> cycle is kind of hypnotic to me.
>
> "jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > I have been playing for for some time now and I am ready to buy a new
gun.
> > am very interested in buying an Autococker and am wondering are they
worth
> > all the hype and how easy are to care for? I am in the military and work
> in
> > a mechanical field onboard subs so the mechanical knowledge is there.
Any
> > major things I should no or be aware of are greatly appreciated. Also im
> > considering this as my son is noww playing and I want to give hime my
> Spyder
> > electra I purchased for $75 at a local pawn shop.

18 Jul 2004 15:39:23
Cybershark
Re: Autococker

in a word....no...but they do have a very small amount of mass moving at the
firing of the gun so that you can hold it very steady...I think this is what
a lot of people percieve as the extra accuracy...they can hold the gun
perfectly on target...between shots the backblock does it's little act and
you will get some "recoil" then, but it's delayed in the autococker instead
of with the shot like in most guns...also if you get your cycling mass
(backblock, bolt, and hammer) lighter than normal you'll reduce that already
delayed recoil...basically it makes a very stable shooting platform and
doesn't shake around like some other guns...if that's the only reason you're
considering a cocker then you should also look at air-ram designs (Angels,
Bushmasters, Impulses, and many others now)...air ram guns have very little
moving in them although they don't have the delayed recoil like a
cocker...both systems make for very stable platforms....

Ken
"jim" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I heard the Cocker shoot more accuratee than others due to the way they
are
> made? Is this true?
> "Gypsy06" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > The cocker is no harder to care for than any other mid to high level
gun.
> > Just general cleaning and oiling are all you ever really need to do to
> keep
> > them running forever. With it's popularity you can easily find any parts
> you
> > might need and the upgrade path is more or less unlimited. Also there
are
> > probably hundreds of web sites with information on things like timing
and
> > upgrades. Just do a google search for owners groups and bang more info
> then
> > you can use. The only word of caution I would have is that once you get
it
> > timed and set up don't mess with it unless it stops working, in this
case
> if
> > it ain't broke don't fix it is probably good advice. With regard to the
> > "hype" the cocker shoots as well as any other gun with a good barrel to
> > paint match. No it won't shoot farther or flatter but it does look
better
> > while shooting than most guns. For some reason watching that back block
> > cycle is kind of hypnotic to me.
> >
> > "jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > I have been playing for for some time now and I am ready to buy a new
> gun.
> > > am very interested in buying an Autococker and am wondering are they
> worth
> > > all the hype and how easy are to care for? I am in the military and
work
> > in
> > > a mechanical field onboard subs so the mechanical knowledge is there.
> Any
> > > major things I should no or be aware of are greatly appreciated. Also
im
> > > considering this as my son is noww playing and I want to give hime my
> > Spyder
> > > electra I purchased for $75 at a local pawn shop.

19 Jul 2004 16:59:59
Brent
Re: Autococker

Do not buy a mechanical autococker.
That being said, I'll tell you why. You will tinker with it. Guessing by the
fact that you bought your previous marker at a pawn shop, you probably do
not know anyone that knows anything about them. Your best bet would be to
buy a mid level gun (BKO, E-blade cocker, etc.) or maybe spend a little more
and get an upper end gun (Timmy, DM4, Viking, Excalibur or X-mag). Most of
these never have to be messed with. The Timmy being the exception not the
rule.

"jim" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have been playing for for some time now and I am ready to buy a new gun.
> am very interested in buying an Autococker and am wondering are they worth
> all the hype and how easy are to care for? I am in the military and work
in
> a mechanical field onboard subs so the mechanical knowledge is there. Any
> major things I should no or be aware of are greatly appreciated. Also im
> considering this as my son is noww playing and I want to give hime my
Spyder
> electra I purchased for $75 at a local pawn shop.

19 Jul 2004 21:04:27
Dr.Who
Re: Autococker

Sinice when is a mid level cocker a E-bladed cocker?

19 Jul 2004 15:17:37
Cybershark
Re: Autococker

indeed...they're just a wee bit on the expensive side...and besides if
you're smart enough to set it to anything other than factory slow it's a
badass on the field...I mean I get 19bps on stock pneumatics...and I don't
think anyone's ever thought of a better trigger...
Ken

"Dr.Who" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Sinice when is a mid level cocker a E-bladed cocker?

20 Jul 2004 19:06:04
Jason G
Re: Autococker

In article <[email protected].com >, Brent says...

>Do not buy a mechanical autococker.
>That being said, I'll tell you why. You will tinker with it.

Once I got my upgraded reg on and sweetspotted, the only tinkering I've done on
my 2003 WGP cocker is change O-rings. And I just hose it off and wipe it down
after, couple drops of oil on the rings. Works fine.

21 Jul 2004 04:27:52
Brent
Re: Autococker

It's just my personal opinion on useability. I could rank it on the low side
of high level or the high side of low level. The reason for this is the fact
that it isn't as user friendly as the others. You should know something
about cockers if you want to buy one. I know that I will get some flack for
that statement, but you can't say that I'm wrong.

"Dr.Who" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Sinice when is a mid level cocker a E-bladed cocker?

21 Jul 2004 04:52:12
Jeff Goslin
Re: Autococker

"Brent" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> It's just my personal opinion on useability. I could rank it on the low
side
> of high level or the high side of low level. The reason for this is the
fact

Personally, I'd put it on the middle side of mid level... that's just me,
though...

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info