24 Sep 2003 10:02:20
Brian Lojeck
Best Number of fields in a day...

OK, the over-under on when this becomes an outright flame war is 6
posts, place your bets now.

When you go out for a day of paintball, would you rather play a small
number of fields for several repititions on each field (the extreme
example being a small indoor park with only one field in it), or a
massive park with many many fields where you just play one or two
games and then switch up (SC village and Tombstone being two good
examples near me in SoCal)

Personally, I like the small number of fields (I really miss Hollywood
paintball in Inglewood...) because after the first few games everyone
knows the layout, and it becomes more of a chess match. you start to
learn where people like to go, and how much damage they can do, you
start to learn the sightlines really well, etc... each game becomes an
extention of the last one, and the best players are the ones who can
adapt and change up their moves...

You can also set unrealistic goals for yourself (like saying the first
bunker you take will be the one on the opponent's 20 yard line, which
I did once...) and spend part of the day trying to accomplish that...

with a large number of fields you never get time to see where
everything is, and by the time you are done marvelling at the old
helicopter carcasses and whatnot it's time to change fields...

but maybe that's just me...

24 Sep 2003 16:08:26
Michael Hughes
Re: Best Number of fields in a day...

I'd take 4 fields, played in random order

sounds like a tourney to me.

"Brian Lojeck" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> OK, the over-under on when this becomes an outright flame war is 6
> posts, place your bets now.
>
> When you go out for a day of paintball, would you rather play a small
> number of fields for several repititions on each field (the extreme
> example being a small indoor park with only one field in it), or a
> massive park with many many fields where you just play one or two
> games and then switch up (SC village and Tombstone being two good
> examples near me in SoCal)
>
> Personally, I like the small number of fields (I really miss Hollywood
> paintball in Inglewood...) because after the first few games everyone
> knows the layout, and it becomes more of a chess match. you start to
> learn where people like to go, and how much damage they can do, you
> start to learn the sightlines really well, etc... each game becomes an
> extention of the last one, and the best players are the ones who can
> adapt and change up their moves...
>
> You can also set unrealistic goals for yourself (like saying the first
> bunker you take will be the one on the opponent's 20 yard line, which
> I did once...) and spend part of the day trying to accomplish that...
>
> with a large number of fields you never get time to see where
> everything is, and by the time you are done marvelling at the old
> helicopter carcasses and whatnot it's time to change fields...
>
> but maybe that's just me...
I'd take 4 fields, played in random order

sounds like a tourney to me.

"Brian Lojeck" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> OK, the over-under on when this becomes an outright flame war is 6
> posts, place your bets now.
>
> When you go out for a day of paintball, would you rather play a small
> number of fields for several repititions on each field (the extreme
> example being a small indoor park with only one field in it), or a
> massive park with many many fields where you just play one or two
> games and then switch up (SC village and Tombstone being two good
> examples near me in SoCal)
>
> Personally, I like the small number of fields (I really miss Hollywood
> paintball in Inglewood...) because after the first few games everyone
> knows the layout, and it becomes more of a chess match. you start to
> learn where people like to go, and how much damage they can do, you
> start to learn the sightlines really well, etc... each game becomes an
> extention of the last one, and the best players are the ones who can
> adapt and change up their moves...
>
> You can also set unrealistic goals for yourself (like saying the first
> bunker you take will be the one on the opponent's 20 yard line, which
> I did once...) and spend part of the day trying to accomplish that...
>
> with a large number of fields you never get time to see where
> everything is, and by the time you are done marvelling at the old
> helicopter carcasses and whatnot it's time to change fields...
>
> but maybe that's just me...

24 Sep 2003 15:27:23
Space Cadet

On 24 Sep 2003 10:02:20 -0700, [email protected] (Brian Lojeck) wrote:

>OK, the over-under on when this becomes an outright flame war is 6
>posts, place your bets now.
>
>When you go out for a day of paintball, would you rather play a small
>number of fields for several repititions on each field (the extreme
>example being a small indoor park with only one field in it), or a
>massive park with many many fields where you just play one or two
>games and then switch up (SC village and Tombstone being two good
>examples near me in SoCal)
>
>Personally, I like the small number of fields (I really miss Hollywood
>paintball in Inglewood...) because after the first few games everyone
>knows the layout, and it becomes more of a chess match. you start to
>learn where people like to go, and how much damage they can do, you
>start to learn the sightlines really well, etc... each game becomes an
>extention of the last one, and the best players are the ones who can
>adapt and change up their moves...
>
>You can also set unrealistic goals for yourself (like saying the first
>bunker you take will be the one on the opponent's 20 yard line, which
>I did once...) and spend part of the day trying to accomplish that...
>
>with a large number of fields you never get time to see where
>everything is, and by the time you are done marvelling at the old
>helicopter carcasses and whatnot it's time to change fields...
>
>but maybe that's just me...

I'm kinda partial to two to three fields per day. After about the 6th
game in a row on the same field, I start getting a little
lackadaisical (sp?) You know, stop paying so much attention to all the
angles...start playing a little more conservative....When we switch
over to another field, I get rejuvinated, more energy, more
enthusiasm. It's for that reason that, even though whenever our field
operator asks "who want to play some woods?", I vote NO!, I play
anyway. makes me appreciate the speed ball that much more!

I played at a "one field" speed ball place a couple of weeks ago
(BTW...got OWNED by Jason Chipley and his team :) )..REALLY nice new
air ball field..very excited to start..but after 4 hours....was really
kinda bored with it..(gettin' pummeled all day didn't help i'm sure.)
I mean I will still go back there any time..but I still think a little
variety is better

SC

24 Sep 2003 16:36:45
Jeff Goslin
Re: Best Number of fields in a day...

It is possible to get a wide variety out of one field, but it takes a
special setup. That's why I like the place I go to. The Paintball Arena,
in Pontiac MI has 4 levels of play, making it basically like having multiple
fields.

Sure, the angles from one spot to another remain the same, but the cool
thing is that each game starts out in different positions, meaning that you
rarely hit the same angles more than once in a given day. One game would be
a full field(all 4 levels) capture game, one would be a basement only
elimination, one is a 2 level center flag game, one is a single level
speedball game, and so on. Each game can be started from a variety of key
positions on the field, located throughout the levels.

I can easily see how a single field, with single starting points, and fixed
bunkers would get old after a very short while. One thing to do would be to
open up two small fields into one larger field and play it sideways. That's
what often happens at a place near me(Lone Wolf Paintball). They have about
6 fields, 3 of which are next to each other and used mostly for tournaments.
When they don't have a tournament running, they open up the boundaries
between them and play them end to end with large groups of walkons.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

news:[email protected]