21 Aug 2004 13:37:56
Bruce Chang
CO2 in a tank storage

Hey Guys!
I went and played yesterday for a bachelor party and we had a lot of fun.
Of course the rental guns everyone else used sucked. Low velocity, VERY
prone to jamming and just horrible otherwise. They weren't anything like
the rental gun I used previously at a different field. This field was
indoors and as much as I was happy to play indoors, the setup at this place
wasn't ideal. We had fun, nonetheless, and despite the welt dangerously
near my crotch, I'm still standing and I'm ready to go again soon
(particularly since I have a couple bags of open paintballs that I'd like to
use before they go bad.
So on to my question: I got my tank filled before I left so I could test
out my gun some more in a more controlled environment. The guy that filled
it said it probably wasn't a good idea to just leave it filled and that if I
wasn't going to use it in a month, that I should probably empty it. Is
there any truth to this? It's a 20oz pure energy tank and if it matters
it's supposed to be hydro tested in 2008.

Thanks.

-Bruce

21 Aug 2004 14:05:30
LCT Paintball
Re: CO2 in a tank storage

There is no problem with leaving CO2 in your tank. Just store it at room
temperature preferably out of direct sunlight. Make sure you keep your
paintballs sealed so they don't draw moisture.

--
"Don't be misled, bad company corrupts good character."
www.LCTPaintball.com

"Bruce Chang" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hey Guys!
> I went and played yesterday for a bachelor party and we had a lot of
fun.
> Of course the rental guns everyone else used sucked. Low velocity, VERY
> prone to jamming and just horrible otherwise. They weren't anything like
> the rental gun I used previously at a different field. This field was
> indoors and as much as I was happy to play indoors, the setup at this
place
> wasn't ideal. We had fun, nonetheless, and despite the welt dangerously
> near my crotch, I'm still standing and I'm ready to go again soon
> (particularly since I have a couple bags of open paintballs that I'd like
> use before they go bad.
> So on to my question: I got my tank filled before I left so I could
test
> out my gun some more in a more controlled environment. The guy that
filled
> it said it probably wasn't a good idea to just leave it filled and that if
> wasn't going to use it in a month, that I should probably empty it. Is
> there any truth to this? It's a 20oz pure energy tank and if it matters
> it's supposed to be hydro tested in 2008.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Bruce

21 Aug 2004 10:56:10
Jeff Goslin
Re: CO2 in a tank storage

"Bruce Chang" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> So on to my question: I got my tank filled before I left so I could
test
> out my gun some more in a more controlled environment. The guy that
filled
> it said it probably wasn't a good idea to just leave it filled and that if
> wasn't going to use it in a month, that I should probably empty it. Is
> there any truth to this? It's a 20oz pure energy tank and if it matters
> it's supposed to be hydro tested in 2008.

To my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with leaving tanks filled for
extended periods of time. Heck, I've had tanks that I've left filled for
literally YEARS with no ill effects.

Tanks are built to sustain high pressures over a prolonged period. It's
their basic function in life. To suggest that a tank should be emptied if
it's not in use seems rather daft to me.

Some people *prefer* to empty their tanks, more so that they will know
exactly how much they have the next time they play, rather than guessing,
but there's nothing to my knowledge that says it's better or worse to empty
your tank or leave it filled. It honestly doesn't matter that much. Empty
it if you want, leave it full if you want. The tank doesn't care.

Of course, it kind of goes without saying that the shop owner would prefer
that you empty it, so he can charge you again for the refill next time you
come in. ;)

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

Insane Ranter
Re: CO2 in a tank storage

"Jeff Goslin" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Bruce Chang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > So on to my question: I got my tank filled before I left so I could
> test
> > out my gun some more in a more controlled environment. The guy that
> filled
> > it said it probably wasn't a good idea to just leave it filled and that
if
> > wasn't going to use it in a month, that I should probably empty it. Is
> > there any truth to this? It's a 20oz pure energy tank and if it matters
> > it's supposed to be hydro tested in 2008.
>
> To my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with leaving tanks filled for
> extended periods of time. Heck, I've had tanks that I've left filled for
> literally YEARS with no ill effects.

Won't the tank "empty" some of it's contents over time just like a ballon
loses air?

21 Aug 2004 13:26:10
Jeff Goslin
Re: CO2 in a tank storage

"Insane Ranter" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Won't the tank "empty" some of it's contents over time just like a ballon
> loses air?

Not with a properly functioning valve. I keep hearing about people losing
air from their HPA tanks over time, but I have to say, I have had the exact
same amount of air in my HPA tanks for YEARS, and I like *never* use those
things, and the pressure hasn't changed at all. Also, I've had CO2 tanks in
my closet for years, and they haven't dramatically dropped in weight. As
long as everythings working right, I don't see why it wouldn't hold air
indefinitely.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

Re: CO2 in a tank storage

"Jeff Goslin" <[email protected] > wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> To my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with leaving tanks filled for
> extended periods of time. Heck, I've had tanks that I've left filled
> for literally YEARS with no ill effects.

same. when we pulled out all the old pumps from storage a while back there
was a 7 ouncer about 1/2 filled from like 1992 -- oiled the o-ring and it
shot just fine.

21 Aug 2004 15:51:54
Insane Ranter
Re: CO2 in a tank storage

"Jeff Goslin" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Insane Ranter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Won't the tank "empty" some of it's contents over time just like a
ballon
> > loses air?
>
> Not with a properly functioning valve. I keep hearing about people losing
> air from their HPA tanks over time, but I have to say, I have had the
exact
> same amount of air in my HPA tanks for YEARS, and I like *never* use those
> things, and the pressure hasn't changed at all. Also, I've had CO2 tanks
in
> my closet for years, and they haven't dramatically dropped in weight. As
> long as everythings working right, I don't see why it wouldn't hold air
> indefinitely.

The o-ring my get all old and crackly if not in the right enviroment.....