25 May 2004 06:06:52
M. Krafick
Damn Busted Ankle! (And question on a starter Gun)

So I spend a week chomping at the bit to play this Sunday for only my
second time. Read a few paintball mags, warpig, and kept an eye on you
yahoo's on this board (Ya'll are a bunch of freaks BTW - nice freaks
at least). Asked a bunch of newbie questions - "On the Spyder Imagine,
Protecting my wife's boobies, etc..."

Even found out what gun and where I was going to get it. Management
approved funding for my new hobby - I was all set.

Then, while "working off" the paintball gun I was about to buy by
digging holes in the front yard for my wifes new hobby of "gardening"
(bleh) I manage to give myself a Grade II Sprain, am in a soft cast
for 3 weeks while in Pysical Therapy."

ME: "So, No paintball this weekend doctor?"
Dr: (I shit you not, he said this) "Not unless you plan on standing in
one place and getting lit up." :)

Ok, on to serious question. I think I found the gun I am going to buy.
Its from a store that is owned by a local field further in the city
(Paintball Atlanta).

$250.00
Spyder Pilot (Hopper and elbow bracket)
My choice of 10, 16, or 20oz CO2 tank (Why would I *Not* want a 20oz?)
Double Payne No-Fog Mask
Squeegie, Spare Parts, and Oil
(Purchase of this gun also comes with a season pass to the Field - no
field fee for 1 year, worth about $10.00 a visit)

Advantage of buying here is that I have somewhere to go to get it
fixed, return it, etc. I also can swap out my single payne mask for a
no-fog mask at no charge in my starter kit, have a choice of CO2
tanks, and this no field fee for one year was also attractive. (Short
of Field Paint and CO2, no charge).

What do you guys think? (Yes I know some out there hate spyder, etc -
but I think this is the best route - Im more concerned on what you
think of the price and if you have heard bad things on the pilot).

BTW: I managed to use the word "Asshat" in conversation for the first
time this week. Now my wife is using it :).

25 May 2004 14:34:30
ROBERT BERGH
Re: Damn Busted Ankle! (And question on a starter Gun)

The spyder's cool, not bad, I still have one, an aggressor, abeit, not
exactly the way kingman sold it, but for the price, perhaps u should inquire
as to if they have an matrix without eyes (Totally upgradeable later) or a
03 shocker w/o eyes that u can actually upgrade yourself at a later date.

Just saying this because if u continue to play, you will definitely want to
get better equipment, and the spyder doesn't give u anywhere to go.

Other than that the package sounds great, it is much more than u need at
this point, and an exceptional deal, Get it!!!!

"M. Krafick" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> So I spend a week chomping at the bit to play this Sunday for only my
> second time. Read a few paintball mags, warpig, and kept an eye on you
> yahoo's on this board (Ya'll are a bunch of freaks BTW - nice freaks
> at least). Asked a bunch of newbie questions - "On the Spyder Imagine,
> Protecting my wife's boobies, etc..."
>
> Even found out what gun and where I was going to get it. Management
> approved funding for my new hobby - I was all set.
>
> Then, while "working off" the paintball gun I was about to buy by
> digging holes in the front yard for my wifes new hobby of "gardening"
> (bleh) I manage to give myself a Grade II Sprain, am in a soft cast
> for 3 weeks while in Pysical Therapy."
>
> ME: "So, No paintball this weekend doctor?"
> Dr: (I shit you not, he said this) "Not unless you plan on standing in
> one place and getting lit up." :)
>

> Ok, on to serious question. I think I found the gun I am going to buy.
> Its from a store that is owned by a local field further in the city
> (Paintball Atlanta).
>
> $250.00
> Spyder Pilot (Hopper and elbow bracket)
> My choice of 10, 16, or 20oz CO2 tank (Why would I *Not* want a 20oz?)
> Double Payne No-Fog Mask
> Squeegie, Spare Parts, and Oil
> (Purchase of this gun also comes with a season pass to the Field - no
> field fee for 1 year, worth about $10.00 a visit)
>
> Advantage of buying here is that I have somewhere to go to get it
> fixed, return it, etc. I also can swap out my single payne mask for a
> no-fog mask at no charge in my starter kit, have a choice of CO2
> tanks, and this no field fee for one year was also attractive. (Short
> of Field Paint and CO2, no charge).
>
> What do you guys think? (Yes I know some out there hate spyder, etc -
> but I think this is the best route - Im more concerned on what you
> think of the price and if you have heard bad things on the pilot).
>
> BTW: I managed to use the word "Asshat" in conversation for the first
> time this week. Now my wife is using it :).

25 May 2004 14:56:54
TheBIessedDead
Re: Damn Busted Ankle! (And question on a starter Gun)

>Then, while "working off" the paintball gun I was about to buy by
>digging holes in the front yard for my wifes new hobby of "gardening"
>(bleh) I manage to give myself a Grade II Sprain, am in a soft cast
>for 3 weeks while in Pysical Therapy."

Man, that really blows. I get all upset if it rains over the weekend and I
can't play, I can't imagine having something like that happen.

>$250.00
>Spyder Pilot (Hopper and elbow bracket)
>My choice of 10, 16, or 20oz CO2 tank (Why would I *Not* want a 20oz?)
>Double Payne No-Fog Mask
>Squeegie, Spare Parts, and Oil
>(Purchase of this gun also comes with a season pass to the Field - no
>field fee for 1 year, worth about $10.00 a visit)

I'd say go for it. I don't know much about the Pilot, but I would think any
Spyder would serve you well in the beginning stages of playing. I looked at
prices online, and the Pilot is going for around 180 or so at the sites I
checked... So thats not a bad price at all it seems. Especially if you plan to
play fairly often... Saving 10 bucks a pop will be nice.

I think if I was to do my Spyder purchase all over again, I'd still by an
Imagine. To me it is the best value, and gives you the features you need..
But, I'm sure the Pilot will do you just fine and you won't regret it. I say go
for it

Nick

25 May 2004 09:21:40
Jason Lopez
Re: Damn Busted Ankle! (And question on a starter Gun)

At least the doctor didn't say that he would go out and be an on-site medic
in case you almost killed yourself. Then again, you could always get your
wife to get into a nurse's outfit and tend to you on the field (with a quick
exit of course).

Jason

"M. Krafick" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> So I spend a week chomping at the bit to play this Sunday for only my
> second time. Read a few paintball mags, warpig, and kept an eye on you
> yahoo's on this board (Ya'll are a bunch of freaks BTW - nice freaks
> at least). Asked a bunch of newbie questions - "On the Spyder Imagine,
> Protecting my wife's boobies, etc..."
>
> Even found out what gun and where I was going to get it. Management
> approved funding for my new hobby - I was all set.
>
> Then, while "working off" the paintball gun I was about to buy by
> digging holes in the front yard for my wifes new hobby of "gardening"
> (bleh) I manage to give myself a Grade II Sprain, am in a soft cast
> for 3 weeks while in Pysical Therapy."
>
> ME: "So, No paintball this weekend doctor?"
> Dr: (I shit you not, he said this) "Not unless you plan on standing in
> one place and getting lit up." :)
>

> Ok, on to serious question. I think I found the gun I am going to buy.
> Its from a store that is owned by a local field further in the city
> (Paintball Atlanta).
>
> $250.00
> Spyder Pilot (Hopper and elbow bracket)
> My choice of 10, 16, or 20oz CO2 tank (Why would I *Not* want a 20oz?)
> Double Payne No-Fog Mask
> Squeegie, Spare Parts, and Oil
> (Purchase of this gun also comes with a season pass to the Field - no
> field fee for 1 year, worth about $10.00 a visit)
>
> Advantage of buying here is that I have somewhere to go to get it
> fixed, return it, etc. I also can swap out my single payne mask for a
> no-fog mask at no charge in my starter kit, have a choice of CO2
> tanks, and this no field fee for one year was also attractive. (Short
> of Field Paint and CO2, no charge).
>
> What do you guys think? (Yes I know some out there hate spyder, etc -
> but I think this is the best route - Im more concerned on what you
> think of the price and if you have heard bad things on the pilot).
>
> BTW: I managed to use the word "Asshat" in conversation for the first
> time this week. Now my wife is using it :).

25 May 2004 15:35:37
Mike The Newbie
Re: Damn Busted Ankle! (And question on a starter Gun)

Actually, that was what I was out to buy. But the imagine is being
phased out. According to the guys I talked too - Spyder changes thier
gun lines out as often as I change my underwear. (BTW, thats
everyday). Lots of dealers were getting po'ed that they were
constantly having to discount the "old" version every 3 months.

The Pilot is thier response, its one of the first of the 2004 series
and of teh first set of guns that they will try to hold on to for a
while before soming out with a new spanky version every 3 months.

It has the same features and a few upgrades.

I apreciate the Feedback man.

Out of curiosity, any reason why someone wouldn't want a 20oz tank if
I have a choice of 10, 16, or 20oz?

On 25 May 2004 14:56:54 GMT, [email protected] (TheBIessedDead)
wrote:

>I think if I was to do my Spyder purchase all over again, I'd still by an
>Imagine.

25 May 2004 15:42:45
Mike The Newbie
Re: Damn Busted Ankle! (And question on a starter Gun)

I would just like to say I absolutely SUCK at typing, let alone
spelling. I apologize in advance. I will slam my fingers in a drawer
in punishment.

On Tue, 25 May 2004 15:35:37 GMT, [email protected] (Mike The
Newbie) wrote:

> teh first set of guns ....
>while before soming ...
>I apreciate the Feedback man.

25 May 2004 11:12:32
Jose
Re: Damn Busted Ankle! (And question on a starter Gun)

All the stacked tube blowbacks are basically the same. What you want to buy
is something that is comfortable for you and you do NOT want to spend more
money on it later. A stacked tube blowback really is not worth upgrading,
unless it is just for cosmetic reasons or to make yourself feel better about
the cool quotient of your gear. ;-)

If you are going to spend more than $300 or so, I would recommend buying
something different, but at $250 for a complete starter package I think you
have made a very wise choice. Some people don't like the weight of a full
20 oz. tank, so they will opt for a 16 instead. The included field fee is
nice. How much is paint and is it field paint only?

--
Jose I. Sanchez
Airsmith

"Mike The Newbie" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> I would just like to say I absolutely SUCK at typing, let alone
> spelling. I apologize in advance. I will slam my fingers in a drawer
> in punishment.
>

> On Tue, 25 May 2004 15:35:37 GMT, [email protected] (Mike The
> Newbie) wrote:
>

> > teh first set of guns ....
> >while before soming ...
> >I apreciate the Feedback man.

25 May 2004 18:46:49
Mike The Newbie
Re: Damn Busted Ankle! (And question on a starter Gun)

The PMI field paint (and it is field paint only) is $107 case or
$80.00 a case if you come into the store on Wed. I know this is
extremely expensive, however, I also understand this is the only real
way to make money - and Paintball Atlanta has been around a long time,
so they have to be doing something right.

I have not played at this field yet. Short of hearing a bunch of
suzies cry about the paint price (which I agree is very steep, but I
understand why) I have not heard bad things about the field, ref's, or
staff. (And if anyone here has played at Paintball Atlanta - I would
be interested in your opinion).

When I went in to look at a gun, I was given a free pass for enterance
and field rental for 2 people - so I am going to go thier and play
once to make sure I like the place (otherwise the free 1yr pass is a
wash) before purchasing I think.

(There is also a good chance I'll buy the gun and practice shooting in
my backyard with my softcast on anyway).

Thanks for the heads up on the logic of the tank, I never thought of
that. I was actually leaning to a 16oz because it was not as long.

> Some people don't like the weight of a full
>20 oz. tank, so they will opt for a 16 instead. The included field fee is
>nice. How much is paint and is it field paint only?

25 May 2004 17:22:46
Daniel Martin
Re: Damn Busted Ankle! (And question on a starter Gun)

As Jose said, it's a weight issue, a full 20 oz tank will weigh about 2
pounds give or take. However, of you intend to play renegade/private land,
no fillstation nearby, get the 20.

Dan

"Mike The Newbie" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Actually, that was what I was out to buy. But the imagine is being
> phased out. According to the guys I talked too - Spyder changes thier
> gun lines out as often as I change my underwear. (BTW, thats
> everyday). Lots of dealers were getting po'ed that they were
> constantly having to discount the "old" version every 3 months.
>
> The Pilot is thier response, its one of the first of the 2004 series
> and of teh first set of guns that they will try to hold on to for a
> while before soming out with a new spanky version every 3 months.
>
> It has the same features and a few upgrades.
>
> I apreciate the Feedback man.
>
> Out of curiosity, any reason why someone wouldn't want a 20oz tank if
> I have a choice of 10, 16, or 20oz?
>

> On 25 May 2004 14:56:54 GMT, [email protected] (TheBIessedDead)
> wrote:
>
> >I think if I was to do my Spyder purchase all over again, I'd still by an
> >Imagine.

25 May 2004 16:45:04
Space Cadet
Re: Damn Busted Ankle! (And question on a starter Gun)

On Tue, 25 May 2004 17:22:46 -0400, "Daniel Martin"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>As Jose said, it's a weight issue, a full 20 oz tank will weigh about 2
>pounds give or take. However, of you intend to play renegade/private land,
>no fillstation nearby, get the 20.
>
>Dan

Actually that's 3 pounds plus or minus....but Dan brings up a good
point. If you are going to play private games, or your only fill
source is far away...go with the 20. On my Spyder AMG I was getting
close to 2000 shots on a 20oz fill (one case). I hear that is unusual,
but I keep it well lubed, and had the output pressure on the in-line
reg down to about 500PSI...

SC

>"Mike The Newbie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>>

>> Out of curiosity, any reason why someone wouldn't want a 20oz tank if
>> I have a choice of 10, 16, or 20oz?
>>

>> On 25 May 2004 14:56:54 GMT, [email protected] (TheBIessedDead)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I think if I was to do my Spyder purchase all over again, I'd still by an
>> >Imagine.

26 May 2004 00:40:38
Phelps
Re: Damn Busted Ankle! (And question on a starter Gun)

In article <[email protected] >,
[email protected] (M. Krafick) wrote:

> $250.00
> Spyder Pilot (Hopper and elbow bracket)
> My choice of 10, 16, or 20oz CO2 tank (Why would I *Not* want a 20oz?)
> Double Payne No-Fog Mask
> Squeegie, Spare Parts, and Oil
> (Purchase of this gun also comes with a season pass to the Field - no
> field fee for 1 year, worth about $10.00 a visit)
>
> Advantage of buying here is that I have somewhere to go to get it
> fixed, return it, etc. I also can swap out my single payne mask for a
> no-fog mask at no charge in my starter kit, have a choice of CO2
> tanks, and this no field fee for one year was also attractive. (Short
> of Field Paint and CO2, no charge).
>
> What do you guys think? (Yes I know some out there hate spyder, etc -
> but I think this is the best route - Im more concerned on what you
> think of the price and if you have heard bad things on the pilot).

If that is the field you are planning to play at, then it is probably
worth it for just the year pass. My field charges $90 for a 90 day pass
(but that gets you half-price air and covers your paint fee.)

--
Phelps <http://www.donotremove.netcolor=#0000FF> >
"You better slap a muzzle on that scaled down piece of evil." -- Space Ghost

26 May 2004 00:53:44
Lee Drake
Re: Damn Busted Ankle! (And question on a starter Gun)

"TheBIessedDead" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> >$250.00
> >Spyder Pilot (Hopper and elbow bracket)
> >My choice of 10, 16, or 20oz CO2 tank (Why would I *Not* want a 20oz?)
> >Double Payne No-Fog Mask
> >Squeegie, Spare Parts, and Oil
> >(Purchase of this gun also comes with a season pass to the Field - no
> >field fee for 1 year, worth about $10.00 a visit)

The pilot looks like a decent gun. I was one of the spyder owners that
recommended it as a good starter gun, though I don't have an e-marker. If
you're even a little bit handy with mechanical stuff, as long as the
electronics don't go wrong it will serve you well.

Regarding the tank sizes:

The bigger the tank the heavier it is and the longer you go between refills
(ask to heft each one when it's full of CO2). You should actually get a
hold of all three sizes, filled with CO2 and see which one balances the gun,
with the hopper and balls filled, the best when mounted. Hold the gun at
the grip with one hand and see if it tilts to the back or forward with each
cartridge loaded. Have an airsmith inspect the tank to be sure that the
valve is securely lock-tighted to the tank (never hurts to be safe).

I used a 20oz with my spyder Java and it was fine - I liked tucking the butt
(you can get a butt plate that fits over the end) into my shoulder,
especially when playing outdoors. Gives you stability. Others like smaller
more compact setups. The smaller tanks are lighter and more portable - but
you also get less shots per tank. The 20oz would be good for at least a
thousand rounds or so, the ten oz probably less than 1/2 that.

Is the hopper just gravity feed? Because if it is there is no way you'll
get the 14bps they quote without chopping balls.

Good luck with your sprain - that does sucketh.

Cheers,
Firefly