19 Aug 2004 22:27:42
LCT Paintball
I need a new gun

OK, I'm looking for advice on a mid range gun. I've always shot low end guns
in the past and have completely ignored the high end stuff so I don't know
much about them. I want something that works out of the box without throwing
money at it, and is around $500. Any suggestions? Anybody got a used one I
should get?

--
"Don't be misled, bad company corrupts good character."
www.LCTPaintball.com

19 Aug 2004 18:41:08
Jeff Goslin
Re: I need a new gun

"LCT Paintball" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s51...
> OK, I'm looking for advice on a mid range gun. I've always shot low end
guns
> in the past and have completely ignored the high end stuff so I don't know
> much about them. I want something that works out of the box without
throwing
> money at it, and is around $500. Any suggestions? Anybody got a used one I
> should get?

I had to blink and re-read that post. At first I thought it was a lame
troll attempt. ;) "LCT's asking for *gun advice*?? Ok, who's yankin my
chain?!"

Sorry, no advice on high end guns here.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

Rick Scott
Re: I need a new gun

(LCT Paintball <[email protected] > uttered:)
> OK, I'm looking for advice on a mid range gun. I've always shot low
> end guns in the past and have completely ignored the high end stuff
> so I don't know much about them. I want something that works out of
> the box without throwing money at it, and is around $500. Any
> suggestions? Anybody got a used one I should get?

I don't have a whole lot of experience in this area, but my first
suggestion would be to look into either a stock 'cocker or some
flavour of 'mag (possibly the new RT ULE Custom.) New 'cockers
are reputed to no longer be the maintenance pigs they once were,
and the RT ULE is said to be one of the sweetest mechanical
markers of all time. Start waylaying the 'mag and 'cocker shooters
at your field and get them to let you test out their setups.

Rick
--
key CF8F8A75 / print C5C1 F87D 5056 D2C0 D5CE D58F 970F 04D1 CF8F 8A75
I am the president of AGD and answer questions here daily.

20 Aug 2004 00:18:30
Phelps
Re: I need a new gun

In article <[email protected]_s51 >,
"LCT Paintball" <[email protected] > wrote:

> OK, I'm looking for advice on a mid range gun. I've always shot low end guns
> in the past and have completely ignored the high end stuff so I don't know
> much about them. I want something that works out of the box without throwing
> money at it, and is around $500. Any suggestions? Anybody got a used one I
> should get?

I like my Mossberg 500. Get one with an Accu-choke. Won't cost you
anything near $500, though.

--
Phelps <http://www.donotremove.netcolor=#0000FF> >
"Bury me with all my stuff, because you know that it is mine."

20 Aug 2004 01:00:40
LCT Paintball
Re: I need a new gun

Oh, for the politically challenged, I meant "marker". ;)

--
"Don't be misled, bad company corrupts good character."
www.LCTPaintball.com
www.LCTProducts.com

"Phelps" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In article <[email protected]_s51>,
> "LCT Paintball" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > OK, I'm looking for advice on a mid range gun. I've always shot low end
guns
> > in the past and have completely ignored the high end stuff so I don't
know
> > much about them. I want something that works out of the box without
throwing
> > money at it, and is around $500. Any suggestions? Anybody got a used one
> > should get?
>

> I like my Mossberg 500. Get one with an Accu-choke. Won't cost you
> anything near $500, though.
>
> --
> Phelps <http://www.donotremove.net>
> "Bury me with all my stuff, because you know that it is mine."
> -- Master Shake's Suicide Note, "Aqua Teen Hunger Force"

20 Aug 2004 01:21:56
LCT Paintball
Re: I need a new gun

I like the thought of the new mag. How do you think it would compare to a
matrix?

--
"Don't be misled, bad company corrupts good character."
www.LCTPaintball.com
www.LCTProducts.com

"Rick Scott" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> (LCT Paintball <[email protected]> uttered:)
> > OK, I'm looking for advice on a mid range gun. I've always shot low
> > end guns in the past and have completely ignored the high end stuff
> > so I don't know much about them. I want something that works out of
> > the box without throwing money at it, and is around $500. Any
> > suggestions? Anybody got a used one I should get?
>
> I don't have a whole lot of experience in this area, but my first
> suggestion would be to look into either a stock 'cocker or some
> flavour of 'mag (possibly the new RT ULE Custom.) New 'cockers
> are reputed to no longer be the maintenance pigs they once were,
> and the RT ULE is said to be one of the sweetest mechanical
> markers of all time. Start waylaying the 'mag and 'cocker shooters
> at your field and get them to let you test out their setups.
>

> Rick
> --
> key CF8F8A75 / print C5C1 F87D 5056 D2C0 D5CE D58F 970F 04D1 CF8F 8A75
> I am the president of AGD and answer questions here daily.
> If you can find another gun manufacturer that does this for their
> customers, please buy their marker. :Tom Kaye (on automags.org)

20 Aug 2004 02:02:41
Ayar
Re: I need a new gun

"Phelps" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> I like my Mossberg 500. Get one with an Accu-choke. Won't cost you
> anything near $500, though.

I have one of those, too.

But I'm no expert.

20 Aug 2004 02:02:45
Ayar
Re: I need a new gun

"LCT Paintball" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s51...
> OK, I'm looking for advice on a mid range gun. I've always shot low end
guns
> in the past and have completely ignored the high end stuff so I don't know
> much about them. I want something that works out of the box without
throwing
> money at it, and is around $500. Any suggestions? Anybody got a used one I
> should get?

I'd look at a Matrix LCD or LED with eyes. Wonderful markers, in my
opinion.

19 Aug 2004 22:55:04
John
Re: I need a new gun

I have a 2004 Bushmaster with the pds eye so far it has been a great
marker. plus it was under $500 at the time

LCT Paintball wrote:
> OK, I'm looking for advice on a mid range gun. I've always shot low end guns
> in the past and have completely ignored the high end stuff so I don't know
> much about them. I want something that works out of the box without throwing
> money at it, and is around $500. Any suggestions? Anybody got a used one I
> should get?

http://www.newsfeeds.com- The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Phelps
Re: I need a new gun

In article <[email protected]_s53 >,
"LCT Paintball" <[email protected] > wrote:

> Oh, for the politically challenged, I meant "marker". ;)

I bet you would have more fun with the Mossberg.

--
Phelps <http://www.donotremove.netcolor=#0000FF> >
"Bury me with all my stuff, because you know that it is mine."
-- Master Shake's Suicide Note, "Aqua Teen Hunger Force"

20 Aug 2004 06:16:49
Rick Scott
Re: I need a new gun

(LCT Paintball <[email protected] > uttered:)
> I like the thought of the new mag. How do you think it would compare
> to a matrix?

Good question; not having hardly used either one, I'm not really in a
position to offer advice. The best I can say is that they both seem
to be solid performers. By all accounts, the ULE 'mag is an amazing
piece of work, but at the same time the vast majority of players at
the field I used to frequent in Ontario have sworn by the Matrix ever
since it was originally released.

Rick
--
key CF8F8A75 / print C5C1 F87D 5056 D2C0 D5CE D58F 970F 04D1 CF8F 8A75
Grasshopper always wrong in argument with chicken.

20 Aug 2004 06:12:00
Rick Scott
Re: I need a new gun

(Phelps <[email protected] > uttered:)
> "LCT Paintball" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Oh, for the politically challenged, I meant "marker". ;)
>
> I bet you would have more fun with the Mossberg.

More effective at keeping your opponents' heads down, too.

Rick
--
key CF8F8A75 / print C5C1 F87D 5056 D2C0 D5CE D58F 970F 04D1 CF8F 8A75
Most people who need to be shot need to be shot soon and a lot.

20 Aug 2004 09:59:37
Derek Beaumont
Re: I need a new gun

> I don't have a whole lot of experience in this area, but my first
> suggestion would be to look into either a stock 'cocker or some
> flavour of 'mag (possibly the new RT ULE Custom.) New 'cockers
> are reputed to no longer be the maintenance pigs they once were,
> and the RT ULE is said to be one of the sweetest mechanical
> markers of all time. Start waylaying the 'mag and 'cocker shooters
> at your field and get them to let you test out their setups.

I have a ULE Mag and an ebladed 'cocker with nexus upgrades that I use, I've
been using the cocker more than the mag due to teething troubles with the
level 10 and ULT (wont get this with a new one out of the factory tho).

I've also put a hyperframe on the mag and once it was set up (which was a
bit of a pig) I found it to be a lot quicker than the cocker (that may just
be something to do with the trigger guard being bigger and me having chunky
fingers) and more consistent over the chrono, but I get more shots per tank
out of the cocker.

If you want to go electric I would recommend the eblade as there's nothing
much to do out of the box (but I would recommend nexus internals tho), but
if you want to stay away from electrics then in my opinion the mag wins
every time especially now with the ULT.

There's been a number of ebladed 'cockers around for $450 - $500 lately

My 2 cents worth

Dek

20 Aug 2004 07:50:46
Jose
Re: I need a new gun

Unless you can find a used e-bladed cocker, the Mag is definitely the way to
go.

The trigger speed is just amazing on those RT valves and once properly setup
(NIB is already correctly setup) they pretty much
always work. You can store it for months at a time, then gas up and it will
still be right at the chrono setting from last time. I can dismantle my Mag
for cleaning and upon re-assembly it still shoots save velocity. If you go
new Mag you should have no worries. If you go used, make sure it is RT
valve with level 10 bolt.

Jose

"LCT Paintball" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s51...
> I like the thought of the new mag. How do you think it would compare to a
> matrix?
>
> --
> "Don't be misled, bad company corrupts good character."
> www.LCTPaintball.com
> www.LCTProducts.com
>

> "Rick Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > (LCT Paintball <[email protected]> uttered:)
> > > OK, I'm looking for advice on a mid range gun. I've always shot low
> > > end guns in the past and have completely ignored the high end stuff
> > > so I don't know much about them. I want something that works out of
> > > the box without throwing money at it, and is around $500. Any
> > > suggestions? Anybody got a used one I should get?
> >
> > I don't have a whole lot of experience in this area, but my first
> > suggestion would be to look into either a stock 'cocker or some
> > flavour of 'mag (possibly the new RT ULE Custom.) New 'cockers
> > are reputed to no longer be the maintenance pigs they once were,
> > and the RT ULE is said to be one of the sweetest mechanical
> > markers of all time. Start waylaying the 'mag and 'cocker shooters
> > at your field and get them to let you test out their setups.
> >

> > Rick
> > --
> > key CF8F8A75 / print C5C1 F87D 5056 D2C0 D5CE D58F 970F 04D1 CF8F 8A75
> > I am the president of AGD and answer questions here daily.
> > If you can find another gun manufacturer that does this for their
> > customers, please buy their marker. :Tom Kaye (on automags.org)

20 Aug 2004 16:09:35
LCT Paintball
Re: I need a new gun

> I bet you would have more fun with the Mossberg.

Well, maybe, but my old Remington would get jealous.

20 Aug 2004 16:24:36
LCT Paintball
Re: I need a new gun

Thanks Jose. I was hoping you would chime in. Your opinion is very
respected!

I think I've narrowed my choices to two. Either a new mag, or a used matrix.

All the really cool kids have matrixes, so that's one strike against them.
;) I would expect them to hold their value better since most people don't
seem to like mags much, and I've heard nothing but good things about them.
How would they do with CO2? HPA is kinda hard for me to get.

The Mag is very interesting to me. They have some of the best support in the
business, and I'd be able to get a new one instead of having to buy used. In
fact, since I have a little paintball shop I can probably get it wholesale
if I pick up a few other mag things too. Plus, I have old slow fingers, I
would expect I could fire faster with the mag's RT than I could with the
Matrix. I know I'd have to switch back to HPA, but I guess I could adjust.
What do you think of the ULE trigger? I read someplace that you get less RT
action using it. Is that a large factor?

--
"Don't be misled, bad company corrupts good character."
www.LCTPaintball.com
www.LCTProducts.com

"Jose" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Unless you can find a used e-bladed cocker, the Mag is definitely the way
> go.
>
> The trigger speed is just amazing on those RT valves and once properly
setup
> (NIB is already correctly setup) they pretty much
> always work. You can store it for months at a time, then gas up and it
will
> still be right at the chrono setting from last time. I can dismantle my
Mag
> for cleaning and upon re-assembly it still shoots save velocity. If you
go
> new Mag you should have no worries. If you go used, make sure it is RT
> valve with level 10 bolt.
>
> Jose
>

> "LCT Paintball" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]_s51...
> > I like the thought of the new mag. How do you think it would compare to
> > matrix?
> >
> > --
> > "Don't be misled, bad company corrupts good character."
> > www.LCTPaintball.com
> > www.LCTProducts.com
> >

> > "Rick Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > (LCT Paintball <[email protected]> uttered:)
> > >
> > > I don't have a whole lot of experience in this area, but my first
> > > suggestion would be to look into either a stock 'cocker or some
> > > flavour of 'mag (possibly the new RT ULE Custom.) New 'cockers
> > > are reputed to no longer be the maintenance pigs they once were,
> > > and the RT ULE is said to be one of the sweetest mechanical
> > > markers of all time. Start waylaying the 'mag and 'cocker shooters
> > > at your field and get them to let you test out their setups.
> > >

> > > Rick
> > > --
> > > key CF8F8A75 / print C5C1 F87D 5056 D2C0 D5CE D58F 970F 04D1 CF8F
8A75
> > > I am the president of AGD and answer questions here daily.
> > > If you can find another gun manufacturer that does this for their
> > > customers, please buy their marker. :Tom Kaye (on automags.org)

20 Aug 2004 10:21:14
Jose
Re: I need a new gun

"LCT Paintball" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s52...
> Thanks Jose. I was hoping you would chime in. Your opinion is very
> respected!
>
> I think I've narrowed my choices to two. Either a new mag, or a used
matrix.

> All the really cool kids have matrixes, so that's one strike against them.
> ;) I would expect them to hold their value better since most people don't
> seem to like mags much, and I've heard nothing but good things about them.
> How would they do with CO2? HPA is kinda hard for me to get.
>
> The Mag is very interesting to me. They have some of the best support in
the
> business, and I'd be able to get a new one instead of having to buy used.
In
> fact, since I have a little paintball shop I can probably get it wholesale
> if I pick up a few other mag things too. Plus, I have old slow fingers, I
> would expect I could fire faster with the mag's RT than I could with the
> Matrix. I know I'd have to switch back to HPA, but I guess I could adjust.
> What do you think of the ULE trigger? I read someplace that you get less
RT
> action using it. Is that a large factor?
>
> --
> "Don't be misled, bad company corrupts good character."
> www.LCTPaintball.com
> www.LCTProducts.com

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :-)

The spool designs (like the Matrix and DM4) are high flow/low pressure so
they will chill a tank down quick. I think you could probably get away with
using CO2, but the reliance on o-rings of those markers would mean that ANY
liquid would require a complete re-build of all seals. None of the high end
semi's will like CO2 anymore (voids warranties) so you are pretty much stuck
with going HPA if you want to buy something "high end" nowadays.

The ULE trigger does indeed kill reactivity in favor of a super light
trigger, much like the mouse click triggers on the electro's. The pin is
SUPER thin and very prone to bending as well. I wouldn't spend the money on
the upgrade. I can tell you that users of regular RT Mags with an
Intelliframe just gush over them. I tried out my buddies RT valved classic
with a standard trigger and was just HAMMERING out paint. I would say to
get a ULE Mag either an Intelliframe (if you like a double) or add on a
Benchmark .45 frame. I like the feel of the Benchmark since I am a 1911
shooter.

Jose

20 Aug 2004 21:54:18
Billy Goodman
Re: I need a new gun

>OK, I'm looking for advice on a mid range gun. I've always shot low end guns
>in the past and have completely ignored the high end stuff so I don't know
>much about them. I want something that works out of the box without throwing
>money at it, and is around $500. Any suggestions? Anybody got a used one I
>should get?

do you really need a new gun, or do you just want one? You have always struck
me as a practical kind of guy, and for that kind of guy, $500 is a lot of
money. I have a feeling you are on the path to setting your self up for
disappointment, because although you may find something that in some way
functions better than what you are shooting now, you're highly unlikely to find
something that shoots $500 better.
If you're just looking for something that's reliable, flexible, and works well
on Co2, I'd say grab a Tippmann A-5 with an e-grip, stick a $50 aftermarket
barrel on it, and be done with it. It may not be as glamorous, but for
practicality it's hard to beat.

Billy Goodman -
Pukin Dogs
http://www.pukindogspaintball.com

20 Aug 2004 22:10:36
LCT Paintball
Re: I need a new gun

Yes, usually I'm pretty practical, but my poor old Piranha has just about
had it. I have a 98 with a flat line that I like to use, and my son has an
A-5 with an RT that is pretty fun to play with. But, since there is a cool
new field that opened just a few miles from my house, I'll probably be
playing more speedball. In it's prime my piranha would keep up ok, but the
boo-yah grip is starting to give me trouble, and my stabilizer looks like
I've been using it for a hammer. So, I thought it might be fun to see how
the rest of the world lives. BTW, have you seen a Tac-1 from Automag? That
looks like something that might fit into your arsenal.

--
"Don't be misled, bad company corrupts good character."
www.LCTPaintball.com
www.LCTProducts.com

"Billy Goodman" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> >OK, I'm looking for advice on a mid range gun. I've always shot low end
guns
> >in the past and have completely ignored the high end stuff so I don't
know
> >much about them. I want something that works out of the box without
throwing
> >money at it, and is around $500. Any suggestions? Anybody got a used one
> >should get?
> >

> do you really need a new gun, or do you just want one? You have always
struck
> me as a practical kind of guy, and for that kind of guy, $500 is a lot of
> money. I have a feeling you are on the path to setting your self up for
> disappointment, because although you may find something that in some way
> functions better than what you are shooting now, you're highly unlikely to
find
> something that shoots $500 better.
> If you're just looking for something that's reliable, flexible, and works
well
> on Co2, I'd say grab a Tippmann A-5 with an e-grip, stick a $50
aftermarket
> barrel on it, and be done with it. It may not be as glamorous, but for
> practicality it's hard to beat.
>

> Billy Goodman -
> Pukin Dogs
> http://www.pukindogspaintball.com

21 Aug 2004 13:27:11
Lee Drake
Re: I need a new gun

"LCT Paintball" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s51...
> OK, I'm looking for advice on a mid range gun. I've always shot low end
> guns
> in the past and have completely ignored the high end stuff so I don't know
> much about them. I want something that works out of the box without
> throwing
> money at it, and is around $500. Any suggestions? Anybody got a used one I
> should get?

Impulse, with Vision if you can find a used one at that price.

21 Aug 2004 13:28:20
Lee Drake
Re: I need a new gun

"LCT Paintball" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s52...
>> I bet you would have more fun with the Mossberg.
>>

> Well, maybe, but my old Remington would get jealous.

And those air bunkers... no problem!

21 Aug 2004 14:09:58
LCT Paintball
Re: I need a new gun

> Impulse, with Vision if you can find a used one at that price.

Why is an Impulse better than a Matrix?

21 Aug 2004 15:42:06
Rayjr
Re: I need a new gun

I have a Classic Timmy I will sell for $500 plus shipping...Gun is in
perfect condition and has some extras.
For more info or picture
Catch me on AIM: DarkBandit1200
or email me

Later
Ray

"LCT Paintball" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s51...
> OK, I'm looking for advice on a mid range gun. I've always shot low end
guns
> in the past and have completely ignored the high end stuff so I don't know
> much about them. I want something that works out of the box without
throwing
> money at it, and is around $500. Any suggestions? Anybody got a used one I
> should get?
>

> --
> "Don't be misled, bad company corrupts good character."
> www.LCTPaintball.com
> www.LCTProducts.com

21 Aug 2004 17:32:50
LCT Paintball
Re: I need a new gun

No thanks. I think Timmies are the best looking guns out there, but their
performance is over rated. I would rather have performance than looks.

--
"Don't be misled, bad company corrupts good character."
www.LCTPaintball.com
www.LCTProducts.com

"Rayjr" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have a Classic Timmy I will sell for $500 plus shipping...Gun is in
> perfect condition and has some extras.
> For more info or picture
> Catch me on AIM: DarkBandit1200
> or email me
>
> Later
> Ray
>
> "LCT Paintball" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]_s51...
> > OK, I'm looking for advice on a mid range gun. I've always shot low end
> guns
> > in the past and have completely ignored the high end stuff so I don't
know
> > much about them. I want something that works out of the box without
> throwing
> > money at it, and is around $500. Any suggestions? Anybody got a used one
> > should get?
> >

> > --
> > "Don't be misled, bad company corrupts good character."
> > www.LCTPaintball.com
> > www.LCTProducts.com

23 Aug 2004 11:25:55
Chris Phillipo
Re: I need a new gun

In article <[email protected]_s53 >,
[email protected] says...
> Oh, for the politically challenged, I meant "marker". ;)

You need a "gun" to hold up a liquor store so you can afford a "marker".
--
http://www.ramsays-online.com

26 Aug 2004 12:37:07
Tony Sr.
Re: I need a new gun

used matrix...don't even think of any other gun at this point....
news:[email protected]_s54...