16 Jul 2004 02:39:48
Phelps
Mag Bushing Question

I'm asking this here instead of AO in the hopes that I can get an
answer without slogging through 5MM "L00k1T mY 1337 guN!" posts:

I know that I need to replace the bolt bumper/bushing (the big one
that sits between the bolt and the valve) but I want to know how badly I
need to. Should the bolt rest against it when it is all the way back?
Because mine doesn't. I'm pretty sure that it should, but this bushing
looks so bad that I was going to replace it anyway. It's chicken soup
yellow and coming apart.

--
Phelps <http://www.donotremove.netcolor=#0000FF> >
"Bury me with all my stuff, because you know that it is mine."
-- Master Shake's Suicide Note, "Aqua Teen Hunger Force"


15 Jul 2004 22:25:23
Jose
Re: Mag Bushing Question

"Phelps" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I'm asking this here instead of AO in the hopes that I can get an
> answer without slogging through 5MM "L00k1T mY 1337 guN!" posts:
>
> I know that I need to replace the bolt bumper/bushing (the big one
> that sits between the bolt and the valve) but I want to know how badly I
> need to. Should the bolt rest against it when it is all the way back?
> Because mine doesn't. I'm pretty sure that it should, but this bushing
> looks so bad that I was going to replace it anyway. It's chicken soup
> yellow and coming apart.
>
> --
> Phelps <http://www.donotremove.net>
> "Bury me with all my stuff, because you know that it is mine."
> -- Master Shake's Suicide Note, "Aqua Teen Hunger Force"


Absolutely replace that thing before yo use the marker any more. You could
knock out the center of the bolt and shoot it at someone. It is a bump stop
and the bolt should make contact with it.

--
Jose I. Sanchez
Airsmith
Electric Iguana Paintball
http://www.electriciguanapaintball.com




16 Jul 2004 18:47:26
BillyJoeJimBob
Re: Mag Bushing Question

Jose wrote:
>
> Absolutely replace that thing before yo use the marker any more.
> You could knock out the center of the bolt and shoot it at someone.
> It is a bump stop and the bolt should make contact with it.

I agree that the bumper should be replaced. However, on my level 7
bolt I see no way that the center of the bolt can be knocked out.
As a test, I removed the bumper from the around the power tube and
pressed the bolt back in place until it came to rest against the
valve body itself. What would cause the center of the bolt to get
knocked out? The outside of the power tube tip doesn't "bottom out"
inside the bolt.

Maybe Level X is sufficiently different that the bumper actually
prevents what you describe?

BJJB


16 Jul 2004 16:18:47
Jose
Re: Mag Bushing Question

The center shooting out used to happen to the early pre-foamie era bolts. I
wasn't sure what vintage Mag he had, but with a chewed bumper that is
yellow, it sounded pretty doggone old, so I didn't think he should risk it.
I have only ever seen the blue poly bumpers, so chicken soup yellow sounds
REALLY old, like pre-polypropylene.

Jose


"BillyJoeJimBob" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Jose wrote:
> >
> > Absolutely replace that thing before yo use the marker any more.
> > You could knock out the center of the bolt and shoot it at someone.
> > It is a bump stop and the bolt should make contact with it.
>
> I agree that the bumper should be replaced. However, on my level 7
> bolt I see no way that the center of the bolt can be knocked out.
> As a test, I removed the bumper from the around the power tube and
> pressed the bolt back in place until it came to rest against the
> valve body itself. What would cause the center of the bolt to get
> knocked out? The outside of the power tube tip doesn't "bottom out"
> inside the bolt.
>
> Maybe Level X is sufficiently different that the bumper actually
> prevents what you describe?
>
> BJJB




17 Jul 2004 05:33:48
Phelps
Re: Mag Bushing Question

In article <[email protected] >,
"Jose" <[email protected] > wrote:

> The center shooting out used to happen to the early pre-foamie era bolts. I
> wasn't sure what vintage Mag he had, but with a chewed bumper that is
> yellow, it sounded pretty doggone old, so I didn't think he should risk it.
> I have only ever seen the blue poly bumpers, so chicken soup yellow sounds
> REALLY old, like pre-polypropylene.

It is an original Mag RT. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the
original bumper. The mag doesn't look like it has seen much action, so
it probably just sat the whole time. I'm picking up a kit tomorrow, and
I'm going to go ahead and replace everything -- all the o-rings,
bushings, main springs, etc. The whole kit.

--
Phelps <http://www.donotremove.netcolor=#0000FF> >
"Bury me with all my stuff, because you know that it is mine."
-- Master Shake's Suicide Note, "Aqua Teen Hunger Force"


17 Jul 2004 10:14:42
BillyJoeJimBob
Re: Mag Bushing Question

Jose wrote:
>
> The center shooting out used to happen to the early pre-foamie era
> bolts.

Ah that would explain it. The bolt in my mag is a fomie-era one. :)
When I bought it from a friend of mine, the bumper was as nasty as
Phelps has described. I immediately replaced it along with all the
other seals. Some of the o-rings were so brown and brittle that
they just disintegrated during removal.

BJJB


17 Jul 2004 09:59:46
Jose
Re: Mag Bushing Question

Ewwwwwwww.....

That must have been one nasty looking pile of spare parts.

Jose



"BillyJoeJimBob" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Jose wrote:
> >
> > The center shooting out used to happen to the early pre-foamie era
> > bolts.
>
> Ah that would explain it. The bolt in my mag is a fomie-era one. :)
> When I bought it from a friend of mine, the bumper was as nasty as
> Phelps has described. I immediately replaced it along with all the
> other seals. Some of the o-rings were so brown and brittle that
> they just disintegrated during removal.
>
> BJJB




17 Jul 2004 10:01:56
Jose
Re: Mag Bushing Question

Excellent. You will get a chance to see just how simple the design is.
Don't worry about replacing the o-ring in between the two halves of the
valve unless it is REALLY nasty.

Jose


"Phelps" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Jose" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The center shooting out used to happen to the early pre-foamie era
bolts. I
> > wasn't sure what vintage Mag he had, but with a chewed bumper that is
> > yellow, it sounded pretty doggone old, so I didn't think he should risk
it.
> > I have only ever seen the blue poly bumpers, so chicken soup yellow
sounds
> > REALLY old, like pre-polypropylene.
>
> It is an original Mag RT. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the
> original bumper. The mag doesn't look like it has seen much action, so
> it probably just sat the whole time. I'm picking up a kit tomorrow, and
> I'm going to go ahead and replace everything -- all the o-rings,
> bushings, main springs, etc. The whole kit.
>
> --
> Phelps <http://www.donotremove.net>
> "Bury me with all my stuff, because you know that it is mine."
> -- Master Shake's Suicide Note, "Aqua Teen Hunger Force"




17 Jul 2004 13:45:06
BillyJoeJimBob
Re: Mag Bushing Question

Jose wrote:
>
> Ewwwwwwww.....
>
> That must have been one nasty looking pile of spare parts.

The guy I had bought the mag from had stopped playing in 1995 and
had just boxed up his gear and stored it in a garage. I purchased
the mag in 2000. Five years of uncontrolled environment age makes
for some ugly o-rings. I didn't think the teflon o-rings inside the
on/off could get nasty, but these did. Before replacing the seals,
I gassed it up to see where it leaked. It leaked from every orifice;
I might as well have just opened the CO2 tank to the atmosphere, it
was leaking so bad.

One parts kit later it was working like a champ. :)

BJJB


18 Jul 2004 20:52:24
Phelps
Re: Mag Bushing Question

In article <[email protected] >,
"Jose" <[email protected] > wrote:

> Excellent. You will get a chance to see just how simple the design is.
> Don't worry about replacing the o-ring in between the two halves of the
> valve unless it is REALLY nasty.

And congratulations to me, I managed to bugger up the on-off to the
point that it won't go back in. I think I am just going to get another
one. I think I deformed the brass messing with it.

--
Phelps <http://www.donotremove.netcolor=#0000FF> >
"Bury me with all my stuff, because you know that it is mine."
-- Master Shake's Suicide Note, "Aqua Teen Hunger Force"


18 Jul 2004 22:41:42
Jose
Re: Mag Bushing Question

Awwwww, MAN!!!!!!!!!

How did ya manage that? One thing I forgot to mention is that when you take
apart the marker you need to squeeze the trigger BEFORE you try to pull out
the valve. The on/off sticks out and can bind when you try to remove
everything. Does this sound like what may be the problem?

Jose

"Phelps" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Jose" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Excellent. You will get a chance to see just how simple the design is.
> > Don't worry about replacing the o-ring in between the two halves of the
> > valve unless it is REALLY nasty.
>
> And congratulations to me, I managed to bugger up the on-off to the
> point that it won't go back in. I think I am just going to get another
> one. I think I deformed the brass messing with it.
>
> --
> Phelps <http://www.donotremove.net>
> "Bury me with all my stuff, because you know that it is mine."
> -- Master Shake's Suicide Note, "Aqua Teen Hunger Force"




19 Jul 2004 13:57:45
Phelps
Re: Mag Bushing Question

In article <[email protected] >,
"Jose" <[email protected] > wrote:

> Awwwww, MAN!!!!!!!!!
>
> How did ya manage that? One thing I forgot to mention is that when you take
> apart the marker you need to squeeze the trigger BEFORE you try to pull out
> the valve. The on/off sticks out and can bind when you try to remove
> everything. Does this sound like what may be the problem?

No, I used a cheap crecent wrench (a 5/8 worked on the bottom, but
not the top, and I didn't have a good one) and it seems to have
unrounded the top. I took an emery board to the part that was sticking,
and it went in and gassed up and doesn't leak, but I think I am going to
replace it anyway, JIC.

--
Phelps <http://www.donotremove.netcolor=#0000FF> >
"Bury me with all my stuff, because you know that it is mine."
-- Master Shake's Suicide Note, "Aqua Teen Hunger Force"