30 Oct 2005 22:18:28
Gator
New gun question

My 12 and 14 year old want new guns. The have various spyders and such. My
target spend for each gun is between $250 and $300. What are your
suggestions?

Thanks in advance

30 Oct 2005 17:41:17
Jeff Goslin
Re: New gun question

"Gator" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My 12 and 14 year old want new guns. The have various spyders and such. My
> target spend for each gun is between $250 and $300. What are your
> suggestions?

My suggestion is to not waste your money getting different guns. Seriously.

If your budget is ONLY $300 max apiece, the jump in performance of a $300
gun vs a $100-$150 gun is not terribly noticable, and, as such, it would
MOSTLY be a waste of money, from a performance standpoint. Have your boys
hang on to their guns a little while longer, pinch some pennies, and go for
a REAL performance upgrade, which would probably be in the $500-$700 range
for each gun.

Personally, I don't see the need for truly fancy guns that are up that high
at all, but if you ARE going to make the move, there's very little point in
going just one step up in the technology ladder.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

Gator
Re: New gun question

Sorry for the double post. I had a send failure and did not think the first
post got through. My apologies to the group.

"Gator" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My 12 and 14 year old want new guns. The have various spyders and such. My
> target spend for each gun is between $250 and $300. What are your
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance

30 Oct 2005 18:36:14
Hardtime
Re: New gun question

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:41:17 -0500, "Jeff Goslin"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>"Gator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> My 12 and 14 year old want new guns. The have various spyders and such. My
>> target spend for each gun is between $250 and $300. What are your
>> suggestions?
>
>My suggestion is to not waste your money getting different guns. Seriously.
>
>If your budget is ONLY $300 max apiece, the jump in performance of a $300
>gun vs a $100-$150 gun is not terribly noticable, and, as such, it would
>MOSTLY be a waste of money, from a performance standpoint. Have your boys
>hang on to their guns a little while longer, pinch some pennies, and go for
>a REAL performance upgrade, which would probably be in the $500-$700 range
>for each gun.
>
>Personally, I don't see the need for truly fancy guns that are up that high
>at all, but if you ARE going to make the move, there's very little point in
>going just one step up in the technology ladder.

I would definitely go with Jeff on this.

Have them make due with what they have and practice their techniques
and reflexes a while longer until they/you can save up enough to
actually make an honest upgrade.

After all you do not want to upgrade and settle on something they will
not be satisfied with after the first one or two games.

Hardtime

http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

31 Oct 2005 00:27:05
Gator
Re: New gun question

So far the responses are stay where they are at until you can seriously
upgrade. Would an ION be a reasonable upgrade? If not and the responses seem
to point to a $450 - $500 range what would be recommended in that range?

"Gator" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My 12 and 14 year old want new guns. The have various spyders and such. My
> target spend for each gun is between $250 and $300. What are your
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance

30 Oct 2005 16:42:15
John Comma Smith
Re: New gun question

Jeff Goslin wrote:

> My suggestion is to not waste your money getting different guns. Seriously.
>
> If your budget is ONLY $300 max apiece, the jump in performance of a $300
> gun vs a $100-$150 gun is not terribly noticable, and, as such, it would
> MOSTLY be a waste of money, from a performance standpoint. Have your boys
> hang on to their guns a little while longer, pinch some pennies, and go for
> a REAL performance upgrade, which would probably be in the $500-$700 range
> for each gun.
>
> Personally, I don't see the need for truly fancy guns that are up that high
> at all, but if you ARE going to make the move, there's very little point in
> going just one step up in the technology ladder.

Now, I have a question for you. What guns are you referring to?

30 Oct 2005 16:43:59
John Comma Smith
Re: New gun question

Gator wrote:
> So far the responses are stay where they are at until you can seriously
> upgrade. Would an ION be a reasonable upgrade? If not and the responses seem
> to point to a $450 - $500 range what would be recommended in that range?

My personal suggestion is some sort of automag or autococker. They are
great guns stock, but they can upgrade them to fit their needs, which
makes them want to stay with either gun longer.

31 Oct 2005 01:19:36
Gator
Re: New gun question

"John Comma Smith" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Jeff Goslin wrote:
> >
> > My suggestion is to not waste your money getting different guns.
Seriously.

> > If your budget is ONLY $300 max apiece, the jump in performance of a
$300
> > gun vs a $100-$150 gun is not terribly noticable, and, as such, it would
> > MOSTLY be a waste of money, from a performance standpoint. Have your
boys
> > hang on to their guns a little while longer, pinch some pennies, and go
for
> > a REAL performance upgrade, which would probably be in the $500-$700
range
> > for each gun.
> >
> > Personally, I don't see the need for truly fancy guns that are up that
high
> > at all, but if you ARE going to make the move, there's very little point
in
> > going just one step up in the technology ladder.
> >

> Now, I have a question for you. What guns are you referring to?

What about a Indian Creek 2004 B2K?

30 Oct 2005 17:30:48
John Comma Smith
Re: New gun question

Gator wrote:

> What about a Indian Creek 2004 B2K?

I was referring to Jeff, but whatever. The B2K is a good gun, but a
little finiky. Plus, you have to be real careful who you buy it from. I
would suggest get him a 2005 ICD Promaster over that though.

31 Oct 2005 02:31:19
Gator
Re: New gun question

"John Comma Smith" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Gator wrote:
> >
> > What about a Indian Creek 2004 B2K?
> >

> I was referring to Jeff, but whatever. The B2K is a good gun, but a
> little finiky. Plus, you have to be real careful who you buy it from. I
> would suggest get him a 2005 ICD Promaster over that though.

Thx!!!

31 Oct 2005 03:40:52
Matt Moriearty
Re: New gun question

Gator wrote:
> So far the responses are stay where they are at until you can seriously
> upgrade. Would an ION be a reasonable upgrade? If not and the responses seem
> to point to a $450 - $500 range what would be recommended in that range?

I haven't heard much bad about the Ion, but the Indian Creek markers
still seem like a better bang for the buck to me. I'm on a prolonged
boycott of Smart Parts, myself, but I'm not going to fault you for
giving in and buying from Das Fuhrer Paintballen. :P

--
Please note that due to cuts in the budget, the light at the end of the
tunnel has been disconnected.

30 Oct 2005 22:53:03
Hardtime
Re: New gun question

ION none wholesale or direct will run you approximately $284.00 then
you have to buy or already have the tank. Then you need some sort of
electric hopper as a shake and bake style will not keep up. Roughly
$400.00-$500.00 for the setup at a minimum. I like the ION do not get
me wrong but I am being a little bit realistic about it.

Other markers you will still need to buy the hopper/loader and tank
also.

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 00:27:05 GMT, "Gator" <[email protected] > wrote:

>So far the responses are stay where they are at until you can seriously
>upgrade. Would an ION be a reasonable upgrade? If not and the responses seem
>to point to a $450 - $500 range what would be recommended in that range?
>

>"Gator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> My 12 and 14 year old want new guns. The have various spyders and such. My
>> target spend for each gun is between $250 and $300. What are your
>> suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks in advance

Hardtime

http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

30 Oct 2005 23:02:36
Hardtime
Re: New gun question

I actually plan on buying an ION with a couple of upgrades for my
Christmas present this year or maybe hold off a couple of months and
buy a Shocker (I can get one at cost). Sorry about the Smart Parts
embargo ;-)

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:53:03 -0500, Hardtime <[email protected] >
wrote:

>ION none wholesale or direct will run you approximately $284.00 then
>you have to buy or already have the tank. Then you need some sort of
>electric hopper as a shake and bake style will not keep up. Roughly
>$400.00-$500.00 for the setup at a minimum. I like the ION do not get
>me wrong but I am being a little bit realistic about it.
>
>Other markers you will still need to buy the hopper/loader and tank
>also.
>
>On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 00:27:05 GMT, "Gator" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>So far the responses are stay where they are at until you can seriously
>>upgrade. Would an ION be a reasonable upgrade? If not and the responses seem
>>to point to a $450 - $500 range what would be recommended in that range?
>>

>>"Gator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]
>>> My 12 and 14 year old want new guns. The have various spyders and such. My
>>> target spend for each gun is between $250 and $300. What are your
>>> suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>

>Hardtime
>
>http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

Hardtime

http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

31 Oct 2005 00:21:42
Jeff Goslin
Re: New gun question

"John Comma Smith" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Jeff Goslin wrote:
> > Personally, I don't see the need for truly fancy guns that are up that
high
> > at all, but if you ARE going to make the move, there's very little point
in
> > going just one step up in the technology ladder.
>
> Now, I have a question for you. What guns are you referring to?

Anything over stock class is overkill, if you ask me. ;)

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

Jeff Goslin
Re: New gun question

"John Comma Smith" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My personal suggestion is some sort of automag or autococker. They are
> great guns stock, but they can upgrade them to fit their needs, which
> makes them want to stay with either gun longer.

Speaking to autocockers in particular, they are NOT great guns stock. They
need a bunch of work to make them "great" guns. Stock, out of the box
cockers, with nothing done to them, are a pretty horrific gun, to be honest.
I'd wager my bottom dollar you've never seen one that hasn't had SOMETHING
done to it. They can reach great heights, but they start out VERY low on
the ladder, believe me.

The good thing is that with a little ingenuity and only a few minor
upgrades, a stock cocker can go from horrific to fantastic. Get it timed
right, get a nice trigger job and upgrade the barrel, and you're about 95%
of the way to a FANTASTIC gun, and for very little money(if you do it
right).

--

Jeff Goslin wrote:

> Anything over stock class is overkill, if you ask me. ;)

That is why I was wondering which guns specifically you were talking about.

31 Oct 2005 20:40:59
Phelps
Re: New gun question

In article <[email protected] >,
"Gator" <[email protected] > wrote:

> My 12 and 14 year old want new guns. The have various spyders and such. My
> target spend for each gun is between $250 and $300. What are your
> suggestions?

I would concur with the others, and say to use that money for good HPA
bottles and high-end loaders. Then, down the road, when this comes up
again, it really IS just the cost of the gun, because you already have
all the prereqs.

--
Phelps
<http://www.donotremove.netcolor=#0000FF> >

01 Nov 2005 10:53:21
st. larry
Re: New gun question

My personal suggestion for a complete 'set' of stuff would be something
like this...

160- Mongoose II LCD (prices vary, I found one for 160,theyre very
decent guns, 21 bps, ultra-light trigger, nice consistancy, but VERY
LOUD (even with a whisper barrel)

80-100- Second-hand Empire-B or Halo-B, unless you already a good
loader, then I would suggest investing in a low-end compressed
air/nitro tank

60-40- barrel upgrade

The best thing about the Mongoose, is that it has the same basic
construction as spyders,so your sons can use their old barrels, and
other stuff with the new guns

Otherwise, if you just want to get a gun...

Diablo Wrath (heard good things, havent ever really seen one)
ION (popular choice)
second-hand Autocockers (always a good option)