26 May 2004 22:38:31
Hiya
New to the Paintball Scene

I'm pretty new to paintball, but lately I've been hittin up the fields every
weekend. I'm lookin to get a Tippmann 98 Custom (it's what's in my budget
atm and the gun I have now is absolutely horrible [brass eagle avenger]).

However, since I'm new, I really have no clue about upgrading the equipment.
Does anyone know of a website that can give me a breakdown of what all the
components are and what they do?? (i.e. where would replacing the barrel
get me?? Why would I get a response trigger??) Or if some person is kind
enough to give a newbie a crash course tutorial I'd definitely appreciate
it.

-CA

26 May 2004 19:49:57
Jason Lopez
Re: New to the Paintball Scene

You can go to http://www.tippmann.com/where there is some basic
explanations of what some of the barrels do and why you would want them.
Same with the trigger. Dependent upon how you play and what you eventually
want to do, you will want to take into consideration the different kinds of
trigger systems. Having been in the military scene for 7 years and seen
both the recreational paintball and the military scenario paintball, you
have to know what you are looking for and then go for the item that will get
you as close as possible.

Just watch out for the humor and regular pain-in-the-asses that add to the
color of this group. They are well worth listening to as long as you are
looking for something particular.

Jason Lopez

"Hiya" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:H%[email protected]
> I'm pretty new to paintball, but lately I've been hittin up the fields
every
> weekend. I'm lookin to get a Tippmann 98 Custom (it's what's in my budget
> atm and the gun I have now is absolutely horrible [brass eagle avenger]).
>
> However, since I'm new, I really have no clue about upgrading the
equipment.
> Does anyone know of a website that can give me a breakdown of what all the
> components are and what they do?? (i.e. where would replacing the barrel
> get me?? Why would I get a response trigger??) Or if some person is kind
> enough to give a newbie a crash course tutorial I'd definitely appreciate
> it.
>
> -CA

27 May 2004 02:15:16
EdTheWard
Re: New to the Paintball Scene

"Jason Lopez" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> You can go to http://www.tippmann.com/where there is some basic
> explanations of what some of the barrels do and why you would want them.
> Same with the trigger. Dependent upon how you play and what you
eventually
> want to do, you will want to take into consideration the different kinds
of
> trigger systems. Having been in the military scene for 7 years and seen
> both the recreational paintball and the military scenario paintball, you
> have to know what you are looking for and then go for the item that will
get
> you as close as possible.
>
> Just watch out for the humor and regular pain-in-the-asses that add to the
> color of this group. They are well worth listening to as long as you are
> looking for something particular.
>
> Jason Lopez

now SEE?

this guy knows what the fuck he is talking about. Kudos for jumping in here
and taking care of business before someone released the hounds.

now everybody else fuck off because Jason answered his question and that's
the end of that.

EDTHEWARD

27 May 2004 02:45:44
Todd7
Re: New to the Paintball Scene

See if this helps you
http://members.cox.net/gozebras/paintball/paintball.html
specifically look at the marker page.

To briefly answer some of your questions, I think of the two main
things coming from the gun are ergonomics and rate of fire. IMO
consistency of your air system is key. If you get an air/nitro tank
you take care of much of this. They are more expensive than the CO2
tanks, If you use CO2 then a regulator is a must to try and tame the
inconsitency of CO2.

In general you want a decent quality barrel that matches the size of
the paint you are using. A quick way to determine the correct size
is to remove the barrel, put a ball in it and try to blow it out.
IF you turn blue blowing on the barrel, then it is too small for the
paint. If the ball rolls out before you blow, then the barrel is too
big. This all sounds, nice in theory, but in reality the paintballs
tend to not be exactly the same size, if you test five balls you will
probably find some are smaller or bigger than the others. So don't
get too hung up on it and just get close.

These are some basics to get you going in the right direction.

27 May 2004 09:59:58
Mark
Re: New to the Paintball Scene

Good start with the 98. Not the prettiest but certainly a bulletproof
design. You will enjoy it!

Here is the order of how I would upgrade it ... of course you can go slowly
and just enjoy it!

1. If you are in a cold climate, an expansion chamber, regulator or remote
to stabilize the co2 pressure. If CA means California, I would not even
worry until maybe the winter.

2. As mentioned in this thread, a good barrel that matches your paint most
the time. If the barrel doesn't match the paint, it doesn't much matter what
marker is attached to it.

3. Now that you are shooting more, go for a motorized hopper.

4. Now that you are shooting even more, you have maybe discovered that it is
the player that makes the game, not the marker so just enjoy. You could go
to compressed air but the initial cost is high so I would just wait until
you have real consistancy pressure problems with co2 (most common when it is
cold with no reg/expcham/remote).

5. Response triggers and such imply that you are needing a quicker way to
get those balls out of the marker and on their way to their target. You
could just practice your shooting and field skills to make the same number
of balls work better ... or ... you could get into the trigger stuff.
Personally, I would just work towards making myself a better player and save
my money to put towards the next marker (and air system probably). But ...
you could do the trigger ... who am I to say.

Good luck and great shooting! I miss my 98.

31 May 2004 13:17:49
yeshess
Re: New to the Paintball Scene

>Does anyone know of a website that can give me a breakdown of what all the
>components are and what they do??

When you get over to tippmann.com, they have a banging forum where you can read
and ask questions and get it answered almost right away. Seeing that it is more
tippmann centered you get more direct answers.

http://tippmann.com/players/forum/wwf77a/default.asp

Hope this helps.