30 May 2004 20:47:11
Mofaz
OT: My Good Deed For the Day

Remember those posts about my personality and character? Do you remember me
saying that I'm actually a nice person? Well, today I was at the gas
station ready to fill up my car. I was walking up to the station's
convenience store to pre-pay when I was stopped by a tall, thin black man.
At first I had my guard up, expecting to hear a sob story about how he lost
his wife, kids, then his home and he needed money for food or a place to
stay. This one was different. He started off telling me he had $4.00, then
proceeded to explain he and his co-worker were here in the Phoenix
Metropolitean Area from Tucson, which is 2.5 hours south, and they both got
into a heated debate over some strange issue and he gave his opinion on the
matter. His friend/co-worker didn't like his opinion and decided to ditch
him at this very gas station we were at. That was yesterday.

What he wanted from me is some money to get himself a bus or shuttle ticket
back down to Tucson. So, I let my guard down just a little bit and said to
him, "I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll put gas in my car, then we'll both
drive to the shuttle depot, walk in together and I'll hand you the money to
pay for the ticket". So, I filled up, we both hopped in and darted off to
the shuttle depot where we both did just that. He got his ticket and I felt
good about what I had just done. On one hand... the ticket cost me $20, but
on the OTHER hand he didn't have a chance to spend that $20 on something
else, making his story a complete lie. Get what I mean?

--

Mofaz
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

30 May 2004 23:52:18
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

Yeah, I get what you mean. Probably wanted to buy a rock of crack and ended
up letting you take things that far. Now there's a new crack addict in
Pheonix who didn't intend to actually show up.

"Mofaz" <sixstr[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Remember those posts about my personality and character? Do you remember
me
> saying that I'm actually a nice person? Well, today I was at the gas
> station ready to fill up my car. I was walking up to the station's
> convenience store to pre-pay when I was stopped by a tall, thin black man.
> At first I had my guard up, expecting to hear a sob story about how he
lost
> his wife, kids, then his home and he needed money for food or a place to
> stay. This one was different. He started off telling me he had $4.00,
then
> proceeded to explain he and his co-worker were here in the Phoenix
> Metropolitean Area from Tucson, which is 2.5 hours south, and they both
got
> into a heated debate over some strange issue and he gave his opinion on
the
> matter. His friend/co-worker didn't like his opinion and decided to ditch
> him at this very gas station we were at. That was yesterday.
>
> What he wanted from me is some money to get himself a bus or shuttle
ticket
> back down to Tucson. So, I let my guard down just a little bit and said
> him, "I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll put gas in my car, then we'll both
> drive to the shuttle depot, walk in together and I'll hand you the money
> pay for the ticket". So, I filled up, we both hopped in and darted off to
> the shuttle depot where we both did just that. He got his ticket and I
felt
> good about what I had just done. On one hand... the ticket cost me $20,
but
> on the OTHER hand he didn't have a chance to spend that $20 on something
> else, making his story a complete lie. Get what I mean?
>
> --
>
> Mofaz
> "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
> - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

31 May 2004 04:20:30
Volt
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

lol...that had me coughing...I can just see him sitting next to another
crack head explaining how he ended up there. "This dumb cracker..."

--

Volt
www.liquimetal.com

"Advanced" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Yeah, I get what you mean. Probably wanted to buy a rock of crack and
ended
> up letting you take things that far. Now there's a new crack addict in
> Pheonix who didn't intend to actually show up.
>

> "Mofaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Remember those posts about my personality and character? Do you
remember
> me
> > saying that I'm actually a nice person? Well, today I was at the gas
> > station ready to fill up my car. I was walking up to the station's
> > convenience store to pre-pay when I was stopped by a tall, thin black
man.
> > At first I had my guard up, expecting to hear a sob story about how he
> lost
> > his wife, kids, then his home and he needed money for food or a place to
> > stay. This one was different. He started off telling me he had $4.00,
> then
> > proceeded to explain he and his co-worker were here in the Phoenix
> > Metropolitean Area from Tucson, which is 2.5 hours south, and they both
> got
> > into a heated debate over some strange issue and he gave his opinion on
> the
> > matter. His friend/co-worker didn't like his opinion and decided to
ditch
> > him at this very gas station we were at. That was yesterday.
> >
> > What he wanted from me is some money to get himself a bus or shuttle
> ticket
> > back down to Tucson. So, I let my guard down just a little bit and said
> > him, "I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll put gas in my car, then we'll
both
> > drive to the shuttle depot, walk in together and I'll hand you the money
> > pay for the ticket". So, I filled up, we both hopped in and darted off
> > the shuttle depot where we both did just that. He got his ticket and I
> felt
> > good about what I had just done. On one hand... the ticket cost me $20,
> but
> > on the OTHER hand he didn't have a chance to spend that $20 on something
> > else, making his story a complete lie. Get what I mean?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Mofaz
> > "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
> > - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

31 May 2004 04:34:56
EdTheWard
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

"Mofaz" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Remember those posts about my personality and character? Do you remember
me
> saying that I'm actually a nice person? Well, today I was at the gas
> station ready to fill up my car. I was walking up to the station's
> convenience store to pre-pay when I was stopped by a tall, thin black man.
> At first I had my guard up, expecting to hear a sob story about how he
lost
> his wife, kids, then his home and he needed money for food or a place to
> stay. This one was different. He started off telling me he had $4.00,
then
> proceeded to explain he and his co-worker were here in the Phoenix
> Metropolitean Area from Tucson, which is 2.5 hours south, and they both
got
> into a heated debate over some strange issue and he gave his opinion on
the
> matter. His friend/co-worker didn't like his opinion and decided to ditch
> him at this very gas station we were at. That was yesterday.
>
> What he wanted from me is some money to get himself a bus or shuttle
ticket
> back down to Tucson. So, I let my guard down just a little bit and said
> him, "I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll put gas in my car, then we'll both
> drive to the shuttle depot, walk in together and I'll hand you the money
> pay for the ticket". So, I filled up, we both hopped in and darted off to
> the shuttle depot where we both did just that. He got his ticket and I
felt
> good about what I had just done. On one hand... the ticket cost me $20,
but
> on the OTHER hand he didn't have a chance to spend that $20 on something
> else, making his story a complete lie. Get what I mean?
>
> --
>
> Mofaz
> "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
> - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Man, you made me remember when I did something similar. This guy comes up to
me in Atlanta at a Gas station and said his family is stuck as their car is
broke/out of gas ( I can't remember which) and he needed a few dollars. I
thought I was calling his bluff and told him if he could prove it I would
give him some cash. well, I let him in, and sure enough, a block down the
street there is a car with a woman and some children milling around in it.

We pull up BEHIND them, and he said thanks for the ride and I gave him 5
bucks. he gets out of the car and RUNS down an alley!! He didn't even KNOW
that lady and her kids.

I was half tempted to chase him down and make him give me my money back, but
I thought "good show, asshole, good show."

I think that was the last time I gave money to a homeless person. I give
food if I have it.

30 May 2004 23:42:34
Gypsy06
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

Here in Portland the homeless/spare-change guys got so bad I went down to
DSHS. One of the social workers there is a friend of mine from school so I
got a bunch of his business cards and wrote my first name on the back. Now
whenever I get the "hey man can you help me out" speech I hand over his card
and tell them to contact him and mention me for a no wait assistance grant..
He tells me that to this day (and I've handed out probably better than 50
cards) no one has ever shown up.
"EdTheWard" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> [...]
> me in Atlanta at a Gas station and said his family is stuck as their car
is
> broke/out of gas ( I can't remember which) and he needed a few dollars. I
> thought I was calling his bluff and told him if he could prove it I would
> give him some cash. well, I let him in, and sure enough, a block down the
> street there is a car with a woman and some children milling around in it.
>
> We pull up BEHIND them, and he said thanks for the ride and I gave him 5
> bucks. he gets out of the car and RUNS down an alley!! He didn't even KNOW
> that lady and her kids.
>
> I was half tempted to chase him down and make him give me my money back,
but
> I thought "good show, asshole, good show."
>
> I think that was the last time I gave money to a homeless person. I give

31 May 2004 04:11:27
Jeff Goslin
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

"Yeah, I bought this ticket a few minutes ago, but I don't need it any
longer... .... Thanks... Say... do you know where I can find a convenient
crack house? No? Ok then, thanks anyways."

What's born every minute? ;)

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

"Mofaz" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Remember those posts about my personality and character? Do you remember
me
> saying that I'm actually a nice person? Well, today I was at the gas
> station ready to fill up my car. I was walking up to the station's
> convenience store to pre-pay when I was stopped by a tall, thin black man.
> At first I had my guard up, expecting to hear a sob story about how he
lost
> his wife, kids, then his home and he needed money for food or a place to
> stay. This one was different. He started off telling me he had $4.00,
then
> proceeded to explain he and his co-worker were here in the Phoenix
> Metropolitean Area from Tucson, which is 2.5 hours south, and they both
got
> into a heated debate over some strange issue and he gave his opinion on
the
> matter. His friend/co-worker didn't like his opinion and decided to ditch
> him at this very gas station we were at. That was yesterday.
>
> What he wanted from me is some money to get himself a bus or shuttle
ticket
> back down to Tucson. So, I let my guard down just a little bit and said
> him, "I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll put gas in my car, then we'll both
> drive to the shuttle depot, walk in together and I'll hand you the money
> pay for the ticket". So, I filled up, we both hopped in and darted off to
> the shuttle depot where we both did just that. He got his ticket and I
felt
> good about what I had just done. On one hand... the ticket cost me $20,
but
> on the OTHER hand he didn't have a chance to spend that $20 on something
> else, making his story a complete lie. Get what I mean?
>
> --
>
> Mofaz
> "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
> - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

31 May 2004 09:27:44
TONY SR.
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

a suckerrrrrr

--
www.paintball-amargio1.com
"Jeff Goslin" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Yeah, I bought this ticket a few minutes ago, but I don't need it any
> longer... .... Thanks... Say... do you know where I can find a
convenient
> crack house? No? Ok then, thanks anyways."
>
> What's born every minute? ;)
>
> --
> Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
> It's not a god complex when you're always right
>

> "Mofaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Remember those posts about my personality and character? Do you
remember
> me
> > saying that I'm actually a nice person? Well, today I was at the gas
> > station ready to fill up my car. I was walking up to the station's
> > convenience store to pre-pay when I was stopped by a tall, thin black
man.
> > At first I had my guard up, expecting to hear a sob story about how he
> lost
> > his wife, kids, then his home and he needed money for food or a place to
> > stay. This one was different. He started off telling me he had $4.00,
> then
> > proceeded to explain he and his co-worker were here in the Phoenix
> > Metropolitean Area from Tucson, which is 2.5 hours south, and they both
> got
> > into a heated debate over some strange issue and he gave his opinion on
> the
> > matter. His friend/co-worker didn't like his opinion and decided to
ditch
> > him at this very gas station we were at. That was yesterday.
> >
> > What he wanted from me is some money to get himself a bus or shuttle
> ticket
> > back down to Tucson. So, I let my guard down just a little bit and said
> > him, "I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll put gas in my car, then we'll
both
> > drive to the shuttle depot, walk in together and I'll hand you the money
> > pay for the ticket". So, I filled up, we both hopped in and darted off
> > the shuttle depot where we both did just that. He got his ticket and I
> felt
> > good about what I had just done. On one hand... the ticket cost me $20,
> but
> > on the OTHER hand he didn't have a chance to spend that $20 on something
> > else, making his story a complete lie. Get what I mean?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Mofaz
> > "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
> > - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

31 May 2004 04:55:14
Mofaz
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

Perhaps you don't understand.... He bought a non-refundable ticket. So,
when I left I was confident he couldn't get the money back and blow it on
something, such as alcohol or drugs.

--

Mofaz
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)
"Jeff Goslin" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Yeah, I bought this ticket a few minutes ago, but I don't need it any
> longer... .... Thanks... Say... do you know where I can find a
convenient
> crack house? No? Ok then, thanks anyways."
>
> What's born every minute? ;)
>
> --
> Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
> It's not a god complex when you're always right
>

> "Mofaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Remember those posts about my personality and character? Do you
remember
> me
> > saying that I'm actually a nice person? Well, today I was at the gas
> > station ready to fill up my car. I was walking up to the station's
> > convenience store to pre-pay when I was stopped by a tall, thin black
man.
> > At first I had my guard up, expecting to hear a sob story about how he
> lost
> > his wife, kids, then his home and he needed money for food or a place to
> > stay. This one was different. He started off telling me he had $4.00,
> then
> > proceeded to explain he and his co-worker were here in the Phoenix
> > Metropolitean Area from Tucson, which is 2.5 hours south, and they both
> got
> > into a heated debate over some strange issue and he gave his opinion on
> the
> > matter. His friend/co-worker didn't like his opinion and decided to
ditch
> > him at this very gas station we were at. That was yesterday.
> >
> > What he wanted from me is some money to get himself a bus or shuttle
> ticket
> > back down to Tucson. So, I let my guard down just a little bit and said
> > him, "I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll put gas in my car, then we'll
both
> > drive to the shuttle depot, walk in together and I'll hand you the money
> > pay for the ticket". So, I filled up, we both hopped in and darted off
> > the shuttle depot where we both did just that. He got his ticket and I
> felt
> > good about what I had just done. On one hand... the ticket cost me $20,
> but
> > on the OTHER hand he didn't have a chance to spend that $20 on something
> > else, making his story a complete lie. Get what I mean?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Mofaz
> > "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
> > - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

31 May 2004 13:59:31
Lee Drake
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

Our local food kitchen gives out booklets of "free meal" coupons for nothing
(though I typically donate when I pick up some). I keep those in the car
and on my and when someone has the old "Need money for food" sign out I hand
them a coupon. It's no secret that the open door mission has all the food
these guys need - they want the money for "other things".

On the money for bus fare thing - that scam is pretty old. You might have
stumbled across the one person who it really happened to but I've heard the
same pitch from various people in various cities.

Cheers,
Firefly

31 May 2004 14:03:13
Lee Drake
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

Man stands on street, waits for next bus patron to walk up...

"Hey man, want to buy a ticket - they're normally 20 bucks but I'll sell you
mine for 15. You see a car hit my wife and I no longer need it - I need the
money for cab fare to go to the hospital. If you help me out you get $5 off
a bonafide ticket man. I'll even go into the terminal and confirm that the
ticket is real!"

I've seen them all. If you really want to donate - spend some time in a
food kitchen or donate them $20 bucks or the equivalent in groceries. It
will make you feel good and you'll be guaranteed that your money is going to
the right people.

Cheers,
firefly

> [...]
> > > him, "I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll put gas in my car, then we'll
> both
> > > drive to the shuttle depot, walk in together and I'll hand you the
money
> > > pay for the ticket". So, I filled up, we both hopped in and darted
off
> > > the shuttle depot where we both did just that. He got his ticket and
> > felt
> > > good about what I had just done. On one hand... the ticket cost me
$20,
> > but
> > > on the OTHER hand he didn't have a chance to spend that $20 on
something
> > > else, making his story a complete lie. Get what I mean?
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Mofaz
> > > "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

31 May 2004 15:14:12
ayar-15
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

"EdTheWard" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> We pull up BEHIND them, and he said thanks for the ride and I gave him 5
> bucks. he gets out of the car and RUNS down an alley!! He didn't even KNOW
> that lady and her kids.
>
> I was half tempted to chase him down and make him give me my money back,
but
> I thought "good show, asshole, good show."
>
> I think that was the last time I gave money to a homeless person. I give
> food if I have it.

1989, road trip to Dallas. We pull into a gas station, and this guy comes
up and VERY convincingly claims to be a veteran who just needs a few bucks
to get a fan belt so he can finish his trip to the veteran's hospital in
Austin. My friends and I pool all of our change together, thinking it's
probably better to give it to a homeless liar than to risk NOT giving it to
an actual veteran in need. The way his face lit up when we gave him the
five bucks and change, we knew he'd been telling the truth.

Flash forward two years. Another road trip to Dallas. The group includes
two guys from the 1989 trip. We pull into the same gas station. And the
same damn guy comes up with the same damn story. We pointed that out to
him. He said "Yeah, alright then." and shuffled off.

31 May 2004 11:19:43
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

Crack addicts and homeless people will lie beyond what regular people can
even think up. As harsh as it sounds, if a family member of mine ever
becomes an addict, I will never loan them a dollar the rest of my life. No
matter what, you can NEVER trust them again.

"ayar-15" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s01...

> "EdTheWard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >

> > We pull up BEHIND them, and he said thanks for the ride and I gave him 5
> > bucks. he gets out of the car and RUNS down an alley!! He didn't even
KNOW
> > that lady and her kids.
> >
> > I was half tempted to chase him down and make him give me my money back,
> but
> > I thought "good show, asshole, good show."
> >
> > I think that was the last time I gave money to a homeless person. I give
> > food if I have it.
> >

> 1989, road trip to Dallas. We pull into a gas station, and this guy comes
> up and VERY convincingly claims to be a veteran who just needs a few bucks
> to get a fan belt so he can finish his trip to the veteran's hospital in
> Austin. My friends and I pool all of our change together, thinking it's
> probably better to give it to a homeless liar than to risk NOT giving it
> an actual veteran in need. The way his face lit up when we gave him the
> five bucks and change, we knew he'd been telling the truth.
>

> Flash forward two years. Another road trip to Dallas. The group includes
> two guys from the 1989 trip. We pull into the same gas station. And the
> same damn guy comes up with the same damn story. We pointed that out to
> him. He said "Yeah, alright then." and shuffled off.

31 May 2004 09:43:57
TheMajor
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

I'm interested to know if he actually KEPT the ticket though - people can
sell shuttle tickets like mad just to get a few bucks... I'm surprised he
even agreed though, which makes me think maybe he DID need to get there.

Watch yourself though. I'm always approached by people who say "Sir my car
is 3 blocks away and I ran out of gas, can you help me out?" Which is funny
because there's a gas station on every block here in Mesa.

As much as my good-deed-sense wants to kick in, it's been a repeated thing
that people get burned or conned.

"Mofaz" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Remember those posts about my personality and character? Do you remember
me
> saying that I'm actually a nice person? Well, today I was at the gas
> station ready to fill up my car. I was walking up to the station's
> convenience store to pre-pay when I was stopped by a tall, thin black man.
> At first I had my guard up, expecting to hear a sob story about how he
lost
> his wife, kids, then his home and he needed money for food or a place to
> stay. This one was different. He started off telling me he had $4.00,
then
> proceeded to explain he and his co-worker were here in the Phoenix
> Metropolitean Area from Tucson, which is 2.5 hours south, and they both
got
> into a heated debate over some strange issue and he gave his opinion on
the
> matter. His friend/co-worker didn't like his opinion and decided to ditch
> him at this very gas station we were at. That was yesterday.
>
> What he wanted from me is some money to get himself a bus or shuttle
ticket
> back down to Tucson. So, I let my guard down just a little bit and said
> him, "I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll put gas in my car, then we'll both
> drive to the shuttle depot, walk in together and I'll hand you the money
> pay for the ticket". So, I filled up, we both hopped in and darted off to
> the shuttle depot where we both did just that. He got his ticket and I
felt
> good about what I had just done. On one hand... the ticket cost me $20,
but
> on the OTHER hand he didn't have a chance to spend that $20 on something
> else, making his story a complete lie. Get what I mean?
>
> --
>
> Mofaz
> "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
> - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

31 May 2004 09:51:44
Mofaz
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

The area where this depot was there were no people who would be interested
in buying a shuttle ticket.

--

Mofaz
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)
"Lee Drake" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Man stands on street, waits for next bus patron to walk up...
>
> "Hey man, want to buy a ticket - they're normally 20 bucks but I'll sell
you
> mine for 15. You see a car hit my wife and I no longer need it - I need
the
> money for cab fare to go to the hospital. If you help me out you get $5
off
> a bonafide ticket man. I'll even go into the terminal and confirm that
the
> ticket is real!"
>
> I've seen them all. If you really want to donate - spend some time in a
> food kitchen or donate them $20 bucks or the equivalent in groceries. It
> will make you feel good and you'll be guaranteed that your money is going
> the right people.
>
> Cheers,
> firefly
>

> "Mofaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Perhaps you don't understand.... He bought a non-refundable ticket. So,
> > when I left I was confident he couldn't get the money back and blow it
on
> > something, such as alcohol or drugs.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Mofaz
> > "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
> > - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)
> > "Jeff Goslin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > "Yeah, I bought this ticket a few minutes ago, but I don't need it any
> > > longer... .... Thanks... Say... do you know where I can find a
> > convenient
> > > crack house? No? Ok then, thanks anyways."
> > >
> > > What's born every minute? ;)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
> > > It's not a god complex when you're always right
> > >

> > > "Mofaz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]
> > remember
> > > me
> > man.
> > > lost
> $4.00,
> > > then
> both
> > > got
> on
> > > the
> > ditch

> > > ticket
> said
> > both
> money
> off
> > > felt
> $20,
> > > but
> something

31 May 2004 16:53:26
-=GriFter=-
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

I don't have a problem giving a druggie a couple bucks. As long as they
don't give me a sob story such as this or any other scams that they may
perpetrate. I once had a guy come up to me asking for $5 so he could buy a
bottle of cheap booze and I gladly gave it to him since he didn't waste my
time telling me an elaborate pile of crap that can be "so unbelievable that
it has to be true story." If someone asks me for money for drugs, booze, or
hookers I'll gladly comply, if someone asks me for money for any other such
dilemma I simpy say sorry for your misfortune. Or I even say that I'm
traveling with my wife/friend (whichever sex I see in a car close by) and
she's/he's in the car behind me and has the cash so go ask her/him and
she'll/he'll take care of you.
--

-=GriFter=-

"Mofaz" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
| Remember those posts about my personality and character? Do you remember
me
| saying that I'm actually a nice person? Well, today I was at the gas
| station ready to fill up my car. I was walking up to the station's
| convenience store to pre-pay when I was stopped by a tall, thin black man.
| At first I had my guard up, expecting to hear a sob story about how he
lost
| his wife, kids, then his home and he needed money for food or a place to
| stay. This one was different. He started off telling me he had $4.00,
then
| proceeded to explain he and his co-worker were here in the Phoenix
| Metropolitean Area from Tucson, which is 2.5 hours south, and they both
got
| into a heated debate over some strange issue and he gave his opinion on
the
| matter. His friend/co-worker didn't like his opinion and decided to ditch
| him at this very gas station we were at. That was yesterday.
|
| What he wanted from me is some money to get himself a bus or shuttle
ticket
| back down to Tucson. So, I let my guard down just a little bit and said
| him, "I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll put gas in my car, then we'll both
| drive to the shuttle depot, walk in together and I'll hand you the money
| pay for the ticket". So, I filled up, we both hopped in and darted off to
| the shuttle depot where we both did just that. He got his ticket and I
felt
| good about what I had just done. On one hand... the ticket cost me $20,
but
| on the OTHER hand he didn't have a chance to spend that $20 on something
| else, making his story a complete lie. Get what I mean?
|
| --
|
| Mofaz
| "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
| - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

31 May 2004 17:23:10
Denise Anderson
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

"TONY SR." <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> a suckerrrrrr
>
> --

I'm a sucker. When we lived in San Diego my husband made me promise I
wouldn't go to Tijuana anymore. Not because I might drink too much or wake
up with one kidney or what not.. no, because I bought too many damn boxes of
chiclets and paper flowers.
Since we've moved here I'm better, but I'm still a sucker, especially for
the gas money stories. I'd never give anyone a ride, but I have a horrible
time telling someone I don't have any money to give them when I'm loading my
gaggle of children into my SUV or minivan. Almost like I feel guilty or
something.

Denise

31 May 2004 11:40:51
> [...]

> me in Atlanta at a Gas station and said his family is stuck as their car
is
> broke/out of gas ( I can't remember which) and he needed a few dollars. I
> thought I was calling his bluff and told him if he could prove it I would
> give him some cash. well, I let him in, and sure enough, a block down the
> street there is a car with a woman and some children milling around in it.
>
> We pull up BEHIND them, and he said thanks for the ride and I gave him 5
> bucks. he gets out of the car and RUNS down an alley!! He didn't even KNOW
> that lady and her kids.
>
> I was half tempted to chase him down and make him give me my money back,
but
> I thought "good show, asshole, good show."
>
> I think that was the last time I gave money to a homeless person. I give

31 May 2004 21:17:06
Phelps
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

In article <[email protected] >,
"-=GriFter=-" <[email protected] > wrote:

> I don't have a problem giving a druggie a couple bucks. As long as they
> don't give me a sob story such as this or any other scams that they may
> perpetrate. I once had a guy come up to me asking for $5 so he could buy a
> bottle of cheap booze and I gladly gave it to him since he didn't waste my
> time telling me an elaborate pile of crap that can be "so unbelievable that
> it has to be true story."

I had one give me the, "I'm not going to lie to you, I just want to
buy beer" line. Thankfully for him, I had just bought a 12 pack of
Shiner. I gave him one, and he was happy.

--
Phelps <http://www.donotremove.netcolor=#0000FF> >
"You better slap a muzzle on that scaled down piece of evil." -- Space Ghost

31 May 2004 21:20:16
Phelps
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

In article <%[email protected] >, "Advanced" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Crack addicts and homeless people will lie beyond what regular people can
> even think up. As harsh as it sounds, if a family member of mine ever
> becomes an addict, I will never loan them a dollar the rest of my life. No
> matter what, you can NEVER trust them again.

"You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug,
especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye."

Hunter S. Thompson, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"

--
Phelps <http://www.donotremove.netcolor=#0000FF> >
"You better slap a muzzle on that scaled down piece of evil." -- Space Ghost

31 May 2004 17:26:37
Daniel Martin
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

IF they using, it aint' harsh, that;s the reality of it! If they've kicked
it, it is, but you can usually tell a crack addict form a normal person. All
figety, got the stut, face is all messed up.

Dan

"Advanced" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:%[email protected]
> Crack addicts and homeless people will lie beyond what regular people can
> even think up. As harsh as it sounds, if a family member of mine ever
> becomes an addict, I will never loan them a dollar the rest of my life.
No
> matter what, you can NEVER trust them again.
>

> "ayar-15" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]_s01...
> >
> > "EdTheWard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > >

> > > We pull up BEHIND them, and he said thanks for the ride and I gave him
5
> > > bucks. he gets out of the car and RUNS down an alley!! He didn't even
> KNOW
> > > that lady and her kids.
> > >
> > > I was half tempted to chase him down and make him give me my money
back,
> > but
> > > I thought "good show, asshole, good show."
> > >
> > > I think that was the last time I gave money to a homeless person. I
give
> > > food if I have it.
> > >

> > 1989, road trip to Dallas. We pull into a gas station, and this guy
comes
> > up and VERY convincingly claims to be a veteran who just needs a few
bucks
> > to get a fan belt so he can finish his trip to the veteran's hospital in
> > Austin. My friends and I pool all of our change together, thinking it's
> > probably better to give it to a homeless liar than to risk NOT giving it
> > an actual veteran in need. The way his face lit up when we gave him the
> > five bucks and change, we knew he'd been telling the truth.
> >

> > Flash forward two years. Another road trip to Dallas. The group
includes
> > two guys from the 1989 trip. We pull into the same gas station. And
the
> > same damn guy comes up with the same damn story. We pointed that out to
> > him. He said "Yeah, alright then." and shuffled off.

31 May 2004 22:57:27
ayar-15
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

"Phelps" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Thankfully for him, I had just bought a 12 pack of
> Shiner.

Mmmmm Shiner. Can't get it here. I miss it. Especially the Bock.

01 Jun 2004 01:12:17
EdTheWard
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

"Denise Anderson" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "TONY SR." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > a suckerrrrrr
> >
> > --
>

> I'm a sucker. When we lived in San Diego my husband made me promise I
> wouldn't go to Tijuana anymore. Not because I might drink too much or
wake
> up with one kidney or what not.. no, because I bought too many damn boxes
of
> chiclets and paper flowers.
> Since we've moved here I'm better, but I'm still a sucker, especially for
> the gas money stories. I'd never give anyone a ride, but I have a
horrible
> time telling someone I don't have any money to give them when I'm loading
my
> gaggle of children into my SUV or minivan. Almost like I feel guilty or
> something.
>
> Denise

LOL no shit. chicklets and kids with untuned 4 string guitars.

been down there. one of the best times of my life.

31 May 2004 17:59:18
Daniel Martin
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

Denise, tell em " MAn, I wish I could , (emphasize this part( I MAXXED out
my card putting 10 bucks of gas into the car)"
Thus making you look like you strapped as well.

I gave a 20 to two kids trying to get back to their home town. There were
hitchiking on the 401, the main thruway for souther ontario. I drove them 10
miles to the bus/train station first. From where they were hitchihing,
there were headed out of town, and not back towards downtown.

As for picking up hitchikeers, I rarely do, but on occasion, if I'm alone (
not with the family, I will occaionally pick someone up. My car broke down
about 50 miles from home and I got 2 rides the rest of the way to the
cottage where my folks were. One guy had his 2 kids with him.
Last summer I met an interesting guy who had been travelling for 72 hrs
straight, from Vancouver to Algonquin Park. I drove out of my way for an
hour as he was an interesing guy with whom I shared common interests. And
hey, how can you mistrust a guy hitchhiking in central ontario who has a
canoe paddle with him?
Now, On the other hand, if you look like scum, I aint' stoppin.
I alway rememeber one thing. If I'm driving, I'm the one in control of the
car, and I can always pop the passengers seatbelt at a most inppurtune
moment .

Dan

"Denise Anderson" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "TONY SR." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > a suckerrrrrr
> >
> > --
>

> I'm a sucker. When we lived in San Diego my husband made me promise I
> wouldn't go to Tijuana anymore. Not because I might drink too much or
wake
> up with one kidney or what not.. no, because I bought too many damn boxes
of
> chiclets and paper flowers.
> Since we've moved here I'm better, but I'm still a sucker, especially for
> the gas money stories. I'd never give anyone a ride, but I have a
horrible
> time telling someone I don't have any money to give them when I'm loading
my
> gaggle of children into my SUV or minivan. Almost like I feel guilty or
> something.
>
> Denise

02 Jun 2004 02:42:41
-=GriFter=-
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

Ed, I think sitting in a wet cardboard box while men poked glory holes into
it would rank up there as "one of the best times of your life."
--

-=GriFter=-

"EdTheWard" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

| "Denise Anderson" <[email protected] > wrote in message
| news:[email protected]
| >
| > "TONY SR." <[email protected]> wrote in message
| > news:[email protected]
| > > a suckerrrrrr
| > >
| > > --
| >

| > I'm a sucker. When we lived in San Diego my husband made me promise I
| > wouldn't go to Tijuana anymore. Not because I might drink too much or
| wake
| > up with one kidney or what not.. no, because I bought too many damn
boxes
| of
| > chiclets and paper flowers.
| > Since we've moved here I'm better, but I'm still a sucker, especially
for
| > the gas money stories. I'd never give anyone a ride, but I have a
| horrible
| > time telling someone I don't have any money to give them when I'm
| my
| > gaggle of children into my SUV or minivan. Almost like I feel guilty or
| > something.
| >
| > Denise
| >
| LOL no shit. chicklets and kids with untuned 4 string guitars.
|
| been down there. one of the best times of my life.

02 Jun 2004 03:32:14
EdTheWard
Re: My Good Deed For the Day

"-=GriFter=-" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Ed, I think sitting in a wet cardboard box while men poked glory holes
into
> it would rank up there as "one of the best times of your life."
> --
>

> -=GriFter=-

was that you?