24 Aug 2004 13:41:38
Steve
Paintball in Northern Ireland

I've been paintballing in Northern Ireland a few times now and really
enjoyed it. I've been toying with the idea of taking it up on a more
regular basis as a hobby.

The odd thing about playing in NI is that we have to travel across the
border to play - I assume that this is because it is illegal in the
North.

The question I have is if owning a paintball marker (and associated
equipment) and using it within the confinement of your own house is
legal or not in Northern Ireland? Or do I need to apply for some sort
of license to own and operate one?

I did notice that new firearms legislation seems to have been passed
here in NI in March, which included "provision for paintball guns to
be used under controlled conditions" - though I can't find any more
details online about it.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Steve

24 Aug 2004 17:05:00
Insane Ranter
Re: Paintball in Northern Ireland

"Steve" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I've been paintballing in Northern Ireland a few times now and really
> enjoyed it. I've been toying with the idea of taking it up on a more
> regular basis as a hobby.
>
> The odd thing about playing in NI is that we have to travel across the
> border to play - I assume that this is because it is illegal in the
> North.
>
> The question I have is if owning a paintball marker (and associated
> equipment) and using it within the confinement of your own house is
> legal or not in Northern Ireland? Or do I need to apply for some sort
> of license to own and operate one?
>
> I did notice that new firearms legislation seems to have been passed
> here in NI in March, which included "provision for paintball guns to
> be used under controlled conditions" - though I can't find any more
> details online about it.
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give me.
>
> Steve

Would calling your local patty or police station work? I know they aren't
judges or lawyers per se but have a general idea of what the law concerning
things might be