17 Aug 2004 08:47:14
BANANA!!!
Painting a gun, Need help.

I bought a used 98Custom and the paint is wearing off. I want to know
how to strip the rest of it and do a repaint.

17 Aug 2004 14:40:16
Insane Ranter
Re: Painting a gun, Need help.

"BANANA!!!" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I bought a used 98Custom and the paint is wearing off. I want to know
> how to strip the rest of it and do a repaint.

Soak it in brake fluid.. take a toothbrush and scrub.....

17 Aug 2004 20:53:04
MathU41
Re: Painting a gun, Need help.

>I bought a used 98Custom and the paint is wearing off. I want to know
>how to strip the rest of it and do a repaint.

I think it's a powdercoat, not paint. Anyway, if it is paint, and it may still
work on a powdercoat, IR's right. Brake fluid should eat most of it, and a
toothbrush will get rid of the weakened paint. If that doesn't work, try a
Dremel with a sanding disc. Not the grinding cylinder things, the little discs
that ar rough on one side. That did wonders to the flaking paint on my PGP,
which is now beautiful, beautiful brass. :)

17 Aug 2004 21:54:05
Jeff Goslin
Re: Painting a gun, Need help.

Might I go so far as to recommend *AGAINST* simply "painting" your gun, with
like metal paint of something like that. It tends to look REALLY bad, and
flakes off in no time. If you *really* want to refinish your gun, spring a
few bucks and get it done right, with anodizing or powdercoating or
something like that. Just this man's suggestion.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

"MathU41" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> >I bought a used 98Custom and the paint is wearing off. I want to know
> >how to strip the rest of it and do a repaint.
>
> I think it's a powdercoat, not paint. Anyway, if it is paint, and it may
still
> work on a powdercoat, IR's right. Brake fluid should eat most of it, and a
> toothbrush will get rid of the weakened paint. If that doesn't work, try a
> Dremel with a sanding disc. Not the grinding cylinder things, the little
discs
> that ar rough on one side. That did wonders to the flaking paint on my
PGP,
> which is now beautiful, beautiful brass. :)

17 Aug 2004 22:15:08
Insane Ranter
Re: Painting a gun, Need help.

On a 98?

"Jeff Goslin" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Might I go so far as to recommend *AGAINST* simply "painting" your gun,
with
> like metal paint of something like that. It tends to look REALLY bad, and
> flakes off in no time. If you *really* want to refinish your gun, spring
> few bucks and get it done right, with anodizing or powdercoating or
> something like that. Just this man's suggestion.
>
> --
> Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
> It's not a god complex when you're always right
>

> "MathU41" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > >I bought a used 98Custom and the paint is wearing off. I want to know
> > >how to strip the rest of it and do a repaint.
> >
> > I think it's a powdercoat, not paint. Anyway, if it is paint, and it may
> still
> > work on a powdercoat, IR's right. Brake fluid should eat most of it, and
> > toothbrush will get rid of the weakened paint. If that doesn't work, try
> > Dremel with a sanding disc. Not the grinding cylinder things, the little
> discs
> > that ar rough on one side. That did wonders to the flaking paint on my
> PGP,
> > which is now beautiful, beautiful brass. :)

17 Aug 2004 23:59:06
Jeff Goslin
Re: Painting a gun, Need help.

Hey, man, it's his money. Personally, I would NEVER refinish a gun, no
matter how shitty it looked, but then again, I'm not one much for glam and
glitz, so who am I to say. I just know that many people who "spray paint"
their guns end up with guns that look mighty shitty when they are done.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

"Insane Ranter" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On a 98?
>
> "Jeff Goslin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Might I go so far as to recommend *AGAINST* simply "painting" your gun,
> with
> > like metal paint of something like that. It tends to look REALLY bad,
and
> > flakes off in no time. If you *really* want to refinish your gun,
spring
> > few bucks and get it done right, with anodizing or powdercoating or
> > something like that. Just this man's suggestion.
> >
> > --
> > Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
> > It's not a god complex when you're always right
> >

> > "MathU41" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > >
> > > I think it's a powdercoat, not paint. Anyway, if it is paint, and it
may
> > still
> > > work on a powdercoat, IR's right. Brake fluid should eat most of it,
and
> > > toothbrush will get rid of the weakened paint. If that doesn't work,
try
> > > Dremel with a sanding disc. Not the grinding cylinder things, the
little
> > discs
> > > that ar rough on one side. That did wonders to the flaking paint on my
> > PGP,
> > > which is now beautiful, beautiful brass. :)

18 Aug 2004 01:22:47
Insane Ranter
Re: Painting a gun, Need help.

Ah yes.. true.... carrry on then

"Jeff Goslin" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hey, man, it's his money. Personally, I would NEVER refinish a gun, no
> matter how shitty it looked, but then again, I'm not one much for glam and
> glitz, so who am I to say. I just know that many people who "spray paint"
> their guns end up with guns that look mighty shitty when they are done.
>
> --
> Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
> It's not a god complex when you're always right
>

> "Insane Ranter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > On a 98?
> >
> > "Jeff Goslin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > Might I go so far as to recommend *AGAINST* simply "painting" your
gun,
> > with
> > > like metal paint of something like that. It tends to look REALLY bad,
> and
> > > flakes off in no time. If you *really* want to refinish your gun,
> spring
> > > few bucks and get it done right, with anodizing or powdercoating or
> > > something like that. Just this man's suggestion.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
> > > It's not a god complex when you're always right
> > >

> > > "MathU41" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]

> may
> > > still
> and
> try
> little
> > > discs
> > > PGP,

17 Aug 2004 15:50:54
Jose
Re: Painting a gun, Need help.

Acetone. Wear nitrile gloves.

--
Jose I. Sanchez
Airsmith

"BANANA!!!" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I bought a used 98Custom and the paint is wearing off. I want to know
> how to strip the rest of it and do a repaint.

18 Aug 2004 11:52:50
Chris Phillipo
Re: Painting a gun, Need help.

In article <[email protected] >, mathu41
@aol.com says...
> >I bought a used 98Custom and the paint is wearing off. I want to know
> >how to strip the rest of it and do a repaint.
>
> I think it's a powdercoat, not paint. Anyway, if it is paint, and it may still
> work on a powdercoat, IR's right. Brake fluid should eat most of it, and a
> toothbrush will get rid of the weakened paint. If that doesn't work, try a
> Dremel with a sanding disc. Not the grinding cylinder things, the little discs
> that ar rough on one side. That did wonders to the flaking paint on my PGP,
> which is now beautiful, beautiful brass. :)

I think I read that it is a powdercoat, but if it is it must be
powdercoat in a can because it's pretty terrible.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

19 Aug 2004 05:34:09
DGDevin
Re: Painting a gun, Need help.

"Insane Ranter" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> On a 98?

If memory serves, the alloy Tippmann uses for the T98 does not take
anodizing well if at all. Powder-coating and other methods that apply a
surface coat to the metal have to be done carefully by someone who knows
what he is doing, I've seen lots of paintguns messed up like that. The most
cost-effective way of refinishing a T98 is probably with a baked-on
automotive paint, being careful not to apply it to the inside surfaces.