22 Sep 2003 17:57:41
Jason G
SC Village Walk-on

Okay, surprisingly I am posting a paintball-related question.

I'm meeting some buddies at SC Village next weekend. I've never played there.
What is the advanced walk-on vibe like? What's the facility like? I've read
through the website but that's just their opinion. I've only played walk-on at
Pendleton, my other park experience was all private games. If you've played
both places, compare/contrast? I get the impression that SC might be distinctly
unmellow.

Any hints/info on the fields or other stuff would be welcome too.

--
Jason G
[Sig closed for remodeling. We apologize for the inconvenience.]

22 Sep 2003 18:52:44
Mofaz
Re: SC Village Walk-on

Dude! You're in for a treat! And I mean that sadonically. Prepare
yourself to play 50 on 50! Or 70 on 70! It'll be madness! Total insanity.
Bring lots of paint, and I mean cases and cases (exaggeration), as the only
thing you'll be doin' is stayin' down, not moving forward an inch and firing
your gun at anyone coming toward you.

S.C. Village used to be a high quality experience. Now, they refs are
sometimes difficult to find when you need 'em and the customer service isn't
the way it used to be. You'll be playin' against hords of newbies who'll
oggle, drool and ask you zillions of questions about your gun and gear.

Don't get me wrong here. S.C. Village is still the best place to play in
Southern California and perhaps the whole western region of the United
States, with many recball fields and world class tournament fields. It's
where I got my start in '97. In fact, it's where many people in S.
California get their start since it's so well known. Although, you'd be
much better off if you had your own private group (30 ppl max).

Give it a shot. You'll be lucky if you have teams of 25 against 25. Just
make the best of it if otherwise.

--

Mofaz
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)
"Jason G" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Okay, surprisingly I am posting a paintball-related question.
>
> I'm meeting some buddies at SC Village next weekend. I've never played
there.
> What is the advanced walk-on vibe like? What's the facility like? I've
read
> through the website but that's just their opinion. I've only played
walk-on at
> Pendleton, my other park experience was all private games. If you've
played
> both places, compare/contrast? I get the impression that SC might be
distinctly
> unmellow.
>
> Any hints/info on the fields or other stuff would be welcome too.
>
> --
> Jason G
> [Sig closed for remodeling. We apologize for the inconvenience.]

23 Sep 2003 02:43:01
SCM987
Re: SC Village Walk-on

>>What is the advanced walk-on vibe like? >>

I hate it. The most annoying thing is the loud speaker will tell you to go to
a certain field, but won't tell you where it is at. So you have to walk around
to find a ref that normally act like assholes. Most fields have a staging
area, and the refs walk you to the field. They also only play 1 game on each
field. Instead of switching sides. Plus some of the fields have sand. That
is horrible for the gun, and even worse for your legs. A few mins of running
on sand and you are ready to tell it a day.
The fields are also more woods type over speedball type.

The tourney fields are nice, but very crowded. They are great if you only want
to play 4 games all day.

>> I've only played walk-on at
Pendleton, my other park experience was all private games. If you've played
both places, compare/contrast? I get the impression that SC might be
distinctly
unmellow. >>

Fields are better at SC. You play more games at SC. You will have a lot more
fun at Pendleton though. I don't know why, but I always liked that place.
Fields suck, but it is always fun.

The skill level is very low at Pendleton. SC doesn't have a high level either,
since the better players are at the tourney fields. But SC has higher skill
level then Pendleton.

22 Sep 2003 20:44:55
Mofaz
Re: SC Village Walk-on

"the loud speaker will tell you to go to a certain field, but won't tell you
where it is at"

There are signs posted up for that very reason. In addition to that, during
the morning rules the manager or head ref. giving the briefing clearly
explains which direction is "the top of the road" and "the bottom of the
road", which comes in handy when on the loud speaker the field is announced
with "...at the top of the road..." added.

--

Mofaz
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)
"SCM987" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> >>What is the advanced walk-on vibe like? >>
>
> I hate it. The most annoying thing is . So you have to walk around
> to find a ref that normally act like assholes. Most fields have a staging
> area, and the refs walk you to the field. They also only play 1 game on
each
> field. Instead of switching sides. Plus some of the fields have sand.
That
> is horrible for the gun, and even worse for your legs. A few mins of
running
> on sand and you are ready to tell it a day.
> The fields are also more woods type over speedball type.
>
> The tourney fields are nice, but very crowded. They are great if you only
want
> to play 4 games all day.
>
> >> I've only played walk-on at
> Pendleton, my other park experience was all private games. If you've
played
> both places, compare/contrast? I get the impression that SC might be
> distinctly
> unmellow.>>
>
> Fields are better at SC. You play more games at SC. You will have a lot
more
> fun at Pendleton though. I don't know why, but I always liked that place.
> Fields suck, but it is always fun.
>
> The skill level is very low at Pendleton. SC doesn't have a high level
either,
> since the better players are at the tourney fields. But SC has higher
skill
> level then Pendleton.

22 Sep 2003 20:50:30
Jason G
Re: SC Village Walk-on

In article <[email protected] >, Mofaz says...

>Dude! You're in for a treat! And I mean that sadonically. Prepare
>yourself to play 50 on 50! Or 70 on 70! It'll be madness! Total insanity.
>Bring lots of paint, and I mean cases and cases (exaggeration), as the only
>thing you'll be doin' is stayin' down, not moving forward an inch and firing
>your gun at anyone coming toward you.

Ay yi yi. That's what I was afraid of. Oh well, better'n nothing.

--
Jason G
[Sig closed for remodeling. We apologize for the inconvenience.]

23 Sep 2003 06:39:20
DGDevin
Re: SC Village Walk-on

"Jason G" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Okay, surprisingly I am posting a paintball-related question.
>
> I'm meeting some buddies at SC Village next weekend. I've never played
there.
> What is the advanced walk-on vibe like? What's the facility like? I've
read
> through the website but that's just their opinion. I've only played
walk-on at
> Pendleton, my other park experience was all private games. If you've
played
> both places, compare/contrast? I get the impression that SC might be
distinctly
> unmellow.

For years SCV had the rep of the Disneyland of paintball, lots of special
attractions on the fields like chopper bodies and buildings and game formats
similar to today's scenario concepts, and they had outstanding reffing and
generally were more professional than most fields. That has changed
somewhat, the reffing isn't what it used to be, and a lot of the older
fields are so beat up that buildings etc. are roped off so nobody can go
inside and cause them to collapse. They still offer a huge array of fields
with wildly different flavors, from near-jungle to tourney concept fields to
fantasy fields with old military equipment and so on. But it's a bit of a
mob scene these days, wild shoot-em-ups where most players don't seem to
care who wins, they just want to shoot their guns at somebody, and if
there's no ref around they ain't necessarly going to worry about how many
times they get hit. It's worth going to see the size and ambition of the
place, but stay cool and don't get stressed over some of the other players,
or they'll take the fun out of the day for you.

23 Sep 2003 06:47:16
DGDevin
Re: SC Village Walk-on

"SCM987" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> >>What is the advanced walk-on vibe like? >>
>
> I hate it. The most annoying thing is the loud speaker will tell you to
go to
> a certain field, but won't tell you where it is at. So you have to walk
around
> to find a ref that normally act like assholes.

Or you could look at the big map that shows you where the fields are, that
would be a radical way to know which field they're talking about. Maybe if
you'd played there before you would even remember the names of the fields
and where they are.

>Most fields have a staging
> area, and the refs walk you to the field. They also only play 1 game on
each
> field. Instead of switching sides.

Hands up everybody who has switched ends on fields at SCV to play a second
game, yup, that's what I thought.

>Plus some of the fields have sand. That
> is horrible for the gun, and even worse for your legs. A few mins of
running
> on sand and you are ready to tell it a day.

Or you could stay home and play video games, if your folks aren't using the
TV that is.

> The fields are also more woods type over speedball type.

About half of them, unless you figure a field with old choppers and trucks
and buildings is a "woods type" field, which somehow I don't think *most*
people would.

> The skill level is very low at Pendleton. SC doesn't have a high level
either,
> since the better players are at the tourney fields. But SC has higher
skill
> level then Pendleton.

There's probably a lot of people playing paintball these days who have jobs
to occupy a lot of their time, they can't get spend all day dreaming about
paintball and polishing their guns with a nice soft cloth, so it's
understandable they wouldn't have the "skills" some folks think they have.

Hilarious, absolutely the funniest guy on Usenet, and he doesn't even know
it.

23 Sep 2003 08:56:01
Jason G
Re: SC Village Walk-on

In article <[email protected] >,
DGDevin says...

>For years SCV had the rep of the Disneyland of paintball, lots of special
>attractions on the fields like chopper bodies and buildings and game formats
>similar to today's scenario concepts, and they had outstanding reffing and
>generally were more professional than most fields. That has changed
>somewhat, the reffing isn't what it used to be, and a lot of the older
>fields are so beat up that buildings etc. are roped off so nobody can go
>inside and cause them to collapse. They still offer a huge array of fields
>with wildly different flavors, from near-jungle to tourney concept fields to
>fantasy fields with old military equipment and so on. But it's a bit of a
>mob scene these days, wild shoot-em-ups where most players don't seem to
>care who wins, they just want to shoot their guns at somebody, and if
>there's no ref around they ain't necessarly going to worry about how many
>times they get hit. It's worth going to see the size and ambition of the
>place, but stay cool and don't get stressed over some of the other players,
>or they'll take the fun out of the day for you.

Thanks for the insight. I think I'll pick up an extra case of paint just in
case it is a hosefest.

Sounds like I should expect rampant cheating. Damn. Oh well. Maybe we can
find a fun corner and work it.

--
Jason G
[Sig closed for remodeling. We apologize for the inconvenience.]

23 Sep 2003 10:00:06
Jose
Re: SC Village Walk-on

I have to say that when I first went (years ago) it was fun and the
Thanksgiving games were a blast. Now the refs. are overbearing/rude, games
take forever to get started and you are lucky to get in 8 games all day. I
want to get in 10 games by lunch, so I feel the high cost of play is
absolutely not worth my while. Couple that with lots of cheating and not
allowing you to bring your own air fills and it creates a place that is not
player friendly. Even private parties get stalled and suffer from poor
organization and inefficiency. I just don't see the fun in playing at SC
anymore. Maybe if you are a tourney only player and have reserved the
speedball fields for practice it would be cool, but all the fields in the
world won't do you any good if the place isn't run well.

Jose

"Jason G" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In article <[email protected]>,
> DGDevin says...
> >
> >For years SCV had the rep of the Disneyland of paintball, lots of special
> >attractions on the fields like chopper bodies and buildings and game
formats
> >similar to today's scenario concepts, and they had outstanding reffing
and
> >generally were more professional than most fields. That has changed
> >somewhat, the reffing isn't what it used to be, and a lot of the older
> >fields are so beat up that buildings etc. are roped off so nobody can go
> >inside and cause them to collapse. They still offer a huge array of
fields
> >with wildly different flavors, from near-jungle to tourney concept fields
> >fantasy fields with old military equipment and so on. But it's a bit of
> >mob scene these days, wild shoot-em-ups where most players don't seem to
> >care who wins, they just want to shoot their guns at somebody, and if
> >there's no ref around they ain't necessarly going to worry about how many
> >times they get hit. It's worth going to see the size and ambition of the
> >place, but stay cool and don't get stressed over some of the other
players,
> >or they'll take the fun out of the day for you.
>
> Thanks for the insight. I think I'll pick up an extra case of paint just
in
> case it is a hosefest.
>
> Sounds like I should expect rampant cheating. Damn. Oh well. Maybe we
can
> find a fun corner and work it.
>
> --
> Jason G
> [Sig closed for remodeling. We apologize for the inconvenience.]

23 Sep 2003 10:47:25
Jason G
Re: SC Village Walk-on

In article <[email protected] >, Jose says...

>I have to say that when I first went (years ago) it was fun and the
>Thanksgiving games were a blast. Now the refs. are overbearing/rude, games
>take forever to get started and you are lucky to get in 8 games all day. I
>want to get in 10 games by lunch, so I feel the high cost of play is
>absolutely not worth my while. Couple that with lots of cheating and not
>allowing you to bring your own air fills and it creates a place that is not
>player friendly.

Is Jungle Island any better? I played a couple of private games there and it
was great, but I've not done walkon there.

--
Jason G
[Sig closed for remodeling. We apologize for the inconvenience.]

23 Sep 2003 11:13:46
Jose
Re: SC Village Walk-on

Don't know about Jungle Island. I know a lot of guys who love Tombstone and
Z3 was saying that Hollywood Sports Park is a great place to play.

Jose

"Jason G" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In article <[email protected]>, Jose says...
> >
> >I have to say that when I first went (years ago) it was fun and the
> >Thanksgiving games were a blast. Now the refs. are overbearing/rude,
games
> >take forever to get started and you are lucky to get in 8 games all day.
> >want to get in 10 games by lunch, so I feel the high cost of play is
> >absolutely not worth my while. Couple that with lots of cheating and
not
> >allowing you to bring your own air fills and it creates a place that is
not
> >player friendly.
>
> Is Jungle Island any better? I played a couple of private games there and
it
> was great, but I've not done walkon there.
>
> --
> Jason G
> [Sig closed for remodeling. We apologize for the inconvenience.]

23 Sep 2003 16:35:01
Michael Hughes
Re: SC Village Walk-on

whats the SC village asian population like man ;)

"Mofaz" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [...]

> news:[email protected]
> > Okay, surprisingly I am posting a paintball-related question.
> >
> > I'm meeting some buddies at SC Village next weekend. I've never played
> there.
> > What is the advanced walk-on vibe like? What's the facility like? I've
> read
> > through the website but that's just their opinion. I've only played
> walk-on at
> > Pendleton, my other park experience was all private games. If you've
> played
> > both places, compare/contrast? I get the impression that SC might be
> distinctly
> > unmellow.
> >
> > Any hints/info on the fields or other stuff would be welcome too.
> >
> > --
> > Jason G
> > [Sig closed for remodeling. We apologize for the inconvenience.]

23 Sep 2003 14:57:20
Mofaz
Re: SC Village Walk-on

Oh, geez! *chuckles with a slight eye roll* Since my first time playing
there back in '97 the asian count has actually increased. Now, if I went
there, there'd be a lot of good lookin' asian girls with their female
friends and some with their boyfriends (or brothers or plain male friends).
I've noticed it's mostly Vietnamese, Laotian, filipino and Chinese (yes, I
can tell the difference). But I do get my kicks seeing all of the asian
males since they all look alike with the same spikey hairstyle wearing the
pants that must be 3 sizes larger than their own waist.

--

Mofaz
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)
"Michael Hughes" <dapaintschmuck**IZASEXYBEAST**@rcn.com > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [...]
> > >
> > > I'm meeting some buddies at SC Village next weekend. I've never
played
> > there.
> > > What is the advanced walk-on vibe like? What's the facility like?
I've
> > read
> > > through the website but that's just their opinion. I've only played
> > walk-on at
> > > Pendleton, my other park experience was all private games. If you've
> > played
> > > both places, compare/contrast? I get the impression that SC might be
> > distinctly
> > > unmellow.
> > >
> > > Any hints/info on the fields or other stuff would be welcome too.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jason G
> > > [Sig closed for remodeling. We apologize for the inconvenience.]

23 Sep 2003 15:12:34
Mofaz
Re: SC Village Walk-on

I played at Jungle Island and didn't like it at all. The staff was great,
but the place didn't suite my style of play. If you're really not picky
about the lack of trees, bushes, tall grass and not much man made bunkers,
then play there.

--

Mofaz
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)
"Jason G" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In article <[email protected]>, Jose says...
> >
> >I have to say that when I first went (years ago) it was fun and the
> >Thanksgiving games were a blast. Now the refs. are overbearing/rude,
games
> >take forever to get started and you are lucky to get in 8 games all day.
> >want to get in 10 games by lunch, so I feel the high cost of play is
> >absolutely not worth my while. Couple that with lots of cheating and
not
> >allowing you to bring your own air fills and it creates a place that is
not
> >player friendly.
>
> Is Jungle Island any better? I played a couple of private games there and
it
> was great, but I've not done walkon there.
>
> --
> Jason G
> [Sig closed for remodeling. We apologize for the inconvenience.]

23 Sep 2003 15:28:08
Jason G
Re: SC Village Walk-on

In article <[email protected] >, Mofaz says...

>I played at Jungle Island and didn't like it at all. The staff was great,
>but the place didn't suite my style of play. If you're really not picky
>about the lack of trees, bushes, tall grass and not much man made bunkers,
>then play there.

I've played there in a private game and it was ok, plus the site says they've
done upgrades. My buddies and I have decided to switch to Jungle Island. I
would just do Pendleton but they have a tourney this weekend.

Thanks all for the input. We'll see how the other players are, hopefully not to
many cheaters or assbiscuits.

--
Jason G
[Sig closed for remodeling. We apologize for the inconvenience.]

24 Sep 2003 03:44:43
TONY SR.
Re: SC Village Walk-on

Jason if you got 5 in your group go to the tourny side and play against
other groups of 5...you will find it a blast...win or lose.