21 Jul 2004 03:36:57
M Valdivia
Safari with paintball... need advice

I have been fortunate (in both circumstance and practice time at the range)
to make one-shot kills on my hunting trips to date. I also am an avid
bow-hunter.

I have never had any particular interest in paintball, however fate seems to
be steering me into a paintball purchase.

My wife and I will be going to South Africa soon. While there some friends
will be taking us on a 3-4 day back-pack-in tour of a very large game
reserve. While in the bush the guides have a game they play. It goes
something like this. The group approaches a rhino from behind and down wind.
They have poor eyesight but if they smell you, you're in big trouble. Once
close enough, every one picks out a tree. Then the guide quickly sneaks up
on the rhino and paints an X on it. The rhino gets how shall we say... very
grumpy very quickly, and everybody runs up their predetermined tree for
safety. The guests are invited to play as well, but at their own risk. One
of these friends who has played himself says that it's incredibly fun, and
an amazing adrenaline rush, but can be VERY dangerous. I would like to play
the game but don't particularly feel like dying just to put paint on a live
rhino's hide. Enter my new found desire for a paintball gun.

The closer you can get to the lungs and preferably the heart, the better
your mark is relative to the others playing. Obviously, this is a one-shot
affair, so accuracy trumps all other considerations. So you experienced
paintballers, any brands/models that really shine when it comes to single
shot accuracy?

Also, I have a very high quality scope with very short range parallax
(muzzle loader/shotgun type) that I think would be well suited to the
short-range shooting inherent to a paintball gun. Any off-the-shelf
paintguns that would accept this type of scope?

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated,

MV

21 Jul 2004 03:51:38
Lee Drake
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

Paintballs, not being rifled or fletched, are inherently not particularly
accurate. You would be best off jacking the FPS up to get a bit of
additional speed out of the paintball, making it a flatter trajectory in the
short range and a longer overall range (like 300fps or so). Unless you hit
it in the eye, I doubt you'd hurt the rhino much even at that speed. Rhinos
are tough.

I'd concentrate on getting a gun that is reliable in the bush (something
like a tippman .98 or a manual spyder) and understand how to strip it and
clean it. Find out ahead of time how they (tour guides) plan to fill your
tank (CO2 or Air) and get the appropriate tank. Note that you'll need to
ship the airtank separately from your normal luggage with all co2 or
nitrogen exhausted from it - planes won't fly anymore with even exhausted
air or CO2 tanks in either carry-on or checked luggage. You will also need
to check the paintball gun with your check on luggage for obvious reasons.
(another reason to get a relatively inexpensive sypder or tippman).

Get a mask for eye protection. Not an optional component - be sure it's
paintball certified.

Once you have your gun take it to a field and have someone experienced show
you how to load, unload, mount and dismount the air tank, etc. Shoot at
LEAST a case of paint through it - preferably at both moving and stationary
targets.

Carry some replacement parts with you - particularly o-rings for the air
tank.

Your scope won't be needed - paintballs don't shoot that far even at 300
fps. If you're far enough away to need the scope you'll be arcing it so far
that the scope becomes meaningless and your accuracy will suck big-time.
Remember paintballs aren't rifled and fly - even at high FPS - in an ARC not
a flat trajectory. Practice shooting instead. The quality of the paint and
the fit to the barrel has a lot to do with how accurate the paintball will
fly - unfortunately you'll probably have control over neither factor.

Practice running. Practice tree climbing. Get your life insurance updated
and be sure it covers dumbass moves like shooting a 1 ton animal in the ass
with a gun that doesn't do more than cause welts on humans.

Good luck - sounds like you'll need it,

Firefly

"M Valdivia" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Your suggestions are greatly appreciated,
>
> MV

21 Jul 2004 06:55:28
MathU41
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

I would personally suggest a 98 and Flatline, since the accuracy is more or
less comparable to a shotgun, but if you're not going to use it that much, go
cheaper.
Since it's a one-shot thing, I'd suggest something that runs on a 12-gram Co2
capsule. Something like the PT pro or Armotech Zeus pistols, or even cheaper, a
pump. a PGP is quite accurate enough, and the newer ones come with a velocity
adjuster. Just turn it up all the way, since I doubt a rhino'll complain if you
shoot it at 400 FPS. A Phantom may be even more accurate, and easier to find
brand-new, but is more expensive than a PGP.

21 Jul 2004 00:48:56
Jose
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

I smell troll.

Jose

"M Valdivia" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have been fortunate (in both circumstance and practice time at the
range)
> to make one-shot kills on my hunting trips to date. I also am an avid
> bow-hunter.
>
> I have never had any particular interest in paintball, however fate seems
> be steering me into a paintball purchase.
>
> My wife and I will be going to South Africa soon. While there some friends
> will be taking us on a 3-4 day back-pack-in tour of a very large game
> reserve. While in the bush the guides have a game they play. It goes
> something like this. The group approaches a rhino from behind and down
wind.
> They have poor eyesight but if they smell you, you're in big trouble. Once
> close enough, every one picks out a tree. Then the guide quickly sneaks up
> on the rhino and paints an X on it. The rhino gets how shall we say...
very
> grumpy very quickly, and everybody runs up their predetermined tree for
> safety. The guests are invited to play as well, but at their own risk. One
> of these friends who has played himself says that it's incredibly fun, and
> an amazing adrenaline rush, but can be VERY dangerous. I would like to
play
> the game but don't particularly feel like dying just to put paint on a
live
> rhino's hide. Enter my new found desire for a paintball gun.
>
> The closer you can get to the lungs and preferably the heart, the better
> your mark is relative to the others playing. Obviously, this is a one-shot
> affair, so accuracy trumps all other considerations. So you experienced
> paintballers, any brands/models that really shine when it comes to single
> shot accuracy?
>
> Also, I have a very high quality scope with very short range parallax
> (muzzle loader/shotgun type) that I think would be well suited to the
> short-range shooting inherent to a paintball gun. Any off-the-shelf
> paintguns that would accept this type of scope?
>
> Your suggestions are greatly appreciated,
>
> MV

21 Jul 2004 04:56:41
Jeff Goslin
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

"M Valdivia" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My wife and I will be going to South Africa soon. While there some friends
> will be taking us on a 3-4 day back-pack-in tour of a very large game
> reserve. While in the bush the guides have a game they play. It goes
> something like this. The group approaches a rhino from behind and down
wind.
> They have poor eyesight but if they smell you, you're in big trouble. Once
> close enough, every one picks out a tree. Then the guide quickly sneaks up
> on the rhino and paints an X on it. The rhino gets how shall we say...
very
> grumpy very quickly, and everybody runs up their predetermined tree for
> safety. The guests are invited to play as well, but at their own risk. One
> of these friends who has played himself says that it's incredibly fun, and
> an amazing adrenaline rush, but can be VERY dangerous. I would like to
play
> the game but don't particularly feel like dying just to put paint on a
live
> rhino's hide. Enter my new found desire for a paintball gun.
>
> The closer you can get to the lungs and preferably the heart, the better
> your mark is relative to the others playing. Obviously, this is a one-shot
> affair, so accuracy trumps all other considerations. So you experienced
> paintballers, any brands/models that really shine when it comes to single
> shot accuracy?

Sounds like fun. You might want to invest in the "paintball dagger" for
this particular trophy hunt. Talk about the ultimate challenge! There's a
thread on it somewhere else in here. I think the brand of "paintball
dagger" most often used is "Sharpie", but you can look that one up.

On a side note, your trolling needs SERIOUS work.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

Jeff Goslin
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

Goddamn, no kidding, two serious replies... this guy got two serious replies
with this bullshit, I can't believe that.

*makes the gills and the fishhooks and more gills and more fishhooks*

Jesus christ, people. A guide does *NOT* paint an X on a rhino's ass,
mainly because a rhino can go from 0 to 30 in about a second(not to mention
the ensuing and predictable goring/trampling effect that tends to be very
unhealthy for people), and go from 0 to SUPER-PISSED in about a
nanosecond(especially the black ones). People who fuck with rhinos end up
as darwinian proof. Next problem, of ALLLLL of the people you know, can you
name *TWO* sets of people who have been to Africa, let alone one? I've
*LIVED* in Africa, and can't name a single person that I know who has been
to Africa. Next problem, the GUIDES made up this event? The barely have
CLODS to throw at things, let alone 1500 dollar paintball guns and
paintballs.

Methinks today was a slow thought process day.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

"Jose" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I smell troll.
>
> Jose
>

> "M Valdivia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > I have been fortunate (in both circumstance and practice time at the
> range)
> > to make one-shot kills on my hunting trips to date. I also am an avid
> > bow-hunter.
> >
> > I have never had any particular interest in paintball, however fate
seems
> > be steering me into a paintball purchase.
> >
> > My wife and I will be going to South Africa soon. While there some
friends
> > will be taking us on a 3-4 day back-pack-in tour of a very large game
> > reserve. While in the bush the guides have a game they play. It goes
> > something like this. The group approaches a rhino from behind and down
> wind.
> > They have poor eyesight but if they smell you, you're in big trouble.
Once
> > close enough, every one picks out a tree. Then the guide quickly sneaks
up
> > on the rhino and paints an X on it. The rhino gets how shall we say...
> very
> > grumpy very quickly, and everybody runs up their predetermined tree for
> > safety. The guests are invited to play as well, but at their own risk.
One
> > of these friends who has played himself says that it's incredibly fun,
and
> > an amazing adrenaline rush, but can be VERY dangerous. I would like to
> play
> > the game but don't particularly feel like dying just to put paint on a
> live
> > rhino's hide. Enter my new found desire for a paintball gun.
> >
> > The closer you can get to the lungs and preferably the heart, the better
> > your mark is relative to the others playing. Obviously, this is a
one-shot
> > affair, so accuracy trumps all other considerations. So you experienced
> > paintballers, any brands/models that really shine when it comes to
single
> > shot accuracy?
> >
> > Also, I have a very high quality scope with very short range parallax
> > (muzzle loader/shotgun type) that I think would be well suited to the
> > short-range shooting inherent to a paintball gun. Any off-the-shelf
> > paintguns that would accept this type of scope?
> >
> > Your suggestions are greatly appreciated,
> >
> > MV

21 Jul 2004 12:03:01
Lee Drake
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

Hey I was just seeing how tall the troll was hehe....

Cheers,
Firefly

"Jeff Goslin" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [...]
> > live
> > > rhino's hide. Enter my new found desire for a paintball gun.
> > >
> > > The closer you can get to the lungs and preferably the heart, the
better
> > > your mark is relative to the others playing. Obviously, this is a
> one-shot
> > > affair, so accuracy trumps all other considerations. So you
experienced
> > > paintballers, any brands/models that really shine when it comes to
> single
> > > shot accuracy?
> > >
> > > Also, I have a very high quality scope with very short range parallax
> > > (muzzle loader/shotgun type) that I think would be well suited to the
> > > short-range shooting inherent to a paintball gun. Any off-the-shelf
> > > paintguns that would accept this type of scope?
> > >
> > > Your suggestions are greatly appreciated,

21 Jul 2004 13:33:12
M Valdivia
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

> Sounds like fun. You might want to invest in the "paintball dagger"
> for
> this particular trophy hunt. Talk about the ultimate challenge!
> There's a
> thread on it somewhere else in here. I think the brand of "paintball
> dagger" most often used is "Sharpie", but you can look that one up.
>
> On a side note, your trolling needs SERIOUS work.

If you read my original post again you will notice that this is exactly what
the guides do. They mark the rhinos with a paint brush!

I don't want to get that close!!! That's why I'm considering getting a
paintball gun.

Anyway, to those that offered thoughtful advice, namely 'Lee Drake' and
'MathU41', thank you very much. Interestingly enough, neither of you
suggested that I get heavily invested in a top-end gun, interesting. I have
a lot more research to do obviously, but you guys have saved me a lot of
time, at least now I know where to start. Again thank you.

As for those that offered cynicism and dispersions, shame on you. People
should be able to ask questions without being accused of trolling a list
they've never even been to before. You're going to give people a bad taste
for paintball culture if this is how you receive newbies.

MV

21 Jul 2004 14:53:10
John
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

I gotta reply, Never, Never shot anything with a Paintball Marker, that is
NOT WEARING A MASK.... This includes animals.
One mistake and you could cause serious injury or even blind the animal, not
to mention pissing off a RHINO. In fact, I hope you get trampled if you try
this shit. Or better yet, go mark a lion. A Paintball Marker is not a toy,
so do not toy around with one. I am an avid hunter also, and I would never
even concider shooting an animal with my marker. So you might not be a
trool, but you are one ignorant ass.

--
John TI2#003
[email protected]

21 Jul 2004 16:00:37
Denise Anderson
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

"M Valdivia" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have been fortunate (in both circumstance and practice time at the
range)
> to make one-shot kills on my hunting trips to date. I also am an avid
> bow-hunter.
>
> I have never had any particular interest in paintball, however fate seems
> be steering me into a paintball purchase.

I think it would be extremely cruel to shoot a rhino (or any animal) with a
paintball gun for entertainment. Not to mention, traveling with a paintball
marker isn't exactly a barrel of laughs.

Denise

21 Jul 2004 09:06:41
Jason G
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

In article <[email protected] >, Lee Drake says...

>Practice running. Practice tree climbing. Get your life insurance updated
>and be sure it covers dumbass moves like shooting a 1 ton animal in the ass
>with a gun that doesn't do more than cause welts on humans.

That sounds like the best advice of the whole thread.

--
Jason G

21 Jul 2004 19:35:38
Lee W

Denise Anderson wrote:
> "M Valdivia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>>I have been fortunate (in both circumstance and practice time at the
>
> range)
>
>>to make one-shot kills on my hunting trips to date. I also am an avid
>>bow-hunter.
>>
>>I have never had any particular interest in paintball, however fate seems

>>be steering me into a paintball purchase.
>>

> I think it would be extremely cruel to shoot a rhino (or any animal) with a
> paintball gun for entertainment. Not to mention, traveling with a paintball
> marker isn't exactly a barrel of laughs.
>
> Denise

I second this one. Don't know what the rules are in Africa, but to me
this borders on animal cruelty, regardless of whether it hurts the
animal or not.

I sincerely hope that M Valdivia is simply a troll or someone with a bad
sense of humour.

Lee

21 Jul 2004 15:43:30
Insane Ranter
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

"Jeff Goslin" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Next problem, of ALLLLL of the people you know, can you
> name *TWO* sets of people who have been to Africa, let alone one?

I know 3 different people that have been to Africa. My best friend has been
to Zaire and then my aunt's parents have been to Egypt. Or did you just mean
south of the suhaira (to lazy care how to spell it)

21 Jul 2004 15:45:50
Insane Ranter
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

"Insane Ranter" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:kCzLc.5529$%[email protected]

> "Jeff Goslin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Next problem, of ALLLLL of the people you know, can you
> > name *TWO* sets of people who have been to Africa, let alone one?
>
> I know 3 different people that have been to Africa. My best friend has
been
> to Zaire and then my aunt's parents have been to Egypt. Or did you just
mean
> south of the suhaira (to lazy care how to spell it)

Now that I think about it... I know 4 total...

The above three... then another friends wife was in Cameroon when she was
little because her parents were missionaries....

So 2 in Egypt, 1 Zaire, 1 Cameroon. I might even come up with more if I
really tried!

21 Jul 2004 15:59:44
Jeff Goslin
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

"M Valdivia" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> If you read my original post again you will notice that this is exactly
what
> the guides do. They mark the rhinos with a paint brush!

No. They don't. Do a little research on rhinos to find out why.
http://www.panda.org/news_facts/education/virtual_wildlife/animal_profiles/rhino_intro.cfm

Bottom line, you get close enough to a rhino to paint an X on it, you die,
or you are SERIOUSLY injured. Rhinos don't fuck around. Safari guides know
this, a main reason why they remain alive to be safari guides for the next
batch of tourists, which is why they wouldn't do what you're suggesting.
That's the main reason why I know your story is bogus.

However, nice followup attempt to justify your trolling.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

Cybershark
hang yourself...please?

I propose that rather than we sit here and post back and forth about trolls
that you simply hang yourself...produce some evidence that such an event
exists...lets see contact names, numbers, costs, the whole kit...I think
this newsgroup is full of eccentric millionaires that would love a rhino
ass-hunt...besides...I've never met anyone with enough money to do such a
thing AND enough wit to use [email protected] for their reply addy...
OR
you could just "hang yourself" as I request above by not posting anything
and silently demonstrate that this is all bogus...although some lame attempt
to further convince some of the readers here is probably what's really gonna
happen...

it wouldn't have been so bad if you didn't try to reply and validate this
assinine idea...

Ken

"M Valdivia" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I have been fortunate (in both circumstance and practice time at the
range)
> to make one-shot kills on my hunting trips to date. I also am an avid
> bow-hunter.
>
> I have never had any particular interest in paintball, however fate seems
> be steering me into a paintball purchase.
>
> My wife and I will be going to South Africa soon. While there some friends
> will be taking us on a 3-4 day back-pack-in tour of a very large game
> reserve. While in the bush the guides have a game they play. It goes
> something like this. The group approaches a rhino from behind and down
wind.
> They have poor eyesight but if they smell you, you're in big trouble. Once
> close enough, every one picks out a tree. Then the guide quickly sneaks up
> on the rhino and paints an X on it. The rhino gets how shall we say...
very
> grumpy very quickly, and everybody runs up their predetermined tree for
> safety. The guests are invited to play as well, but at their own risk. One
> of these friends who has played himself says that it's incredibly fun, and
> an amazing adrenaline rush, but can be VERY dangerous. I would like to
play
> the game but don't particularly feel like dying just to put paint on a
live
> rhino's hide. Enter my new found desire for a paintball gun.
>
> The closer you can get to the lungs and preferably the heart, the better
> your mark is relative to the others playing. Obviously, this is a one-shot
> affair, so accuracy trumps all other considerations. So you experienced
> paintballers, any brands/models that really shine when it comes to single
> shot accuracy?
>
> Also, I have a very high quality scope with very short range parallax
> (muzzle loader/shotgun type) that I think would be well suited to the
> short-range shooting inherent to a paintball gun. Any off-the-shelf
> paintguns that would accept this type of scope?
>
> Your suggestions are greatly appreciated,
>
> MV

21 Jul 2004 16:12:32
Jeff Goslin
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

"Denise Anderson" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I think it would be extremely cruel to shoot a rhino (or any animal) with
> paintball gun for entertainment. Not to mention, traveling with a
paintball

Not that I am actually supporting this, but I'm curious... why is it cruel
again? Rhinos have hides that are essentially armor plating. Shooting a
rhino with a paintball gun would do absolutely no damage to the animal, and
hitting an animal like that in the eye would be pretty damn difficult.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

Cybershark
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

yeah...not so sure it could be cruelty...I've shot at cattle before and as
long as you do it from range they don't care at all....although up close the
loud pop usually spooks 'em a bit...clapping your hands next to the them is
a far bigger offense as far as they seem concerned...stupid cows roaming on
the wrong side of the chrono station
Ken

"Jeff Goslin" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Denise Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > I think it would be extremely cruel to shoot a rhino (or any animal)
with
> > paintball gun for entertainment. Not to mention, traveling with a
> paintball
>
> Not that I am actually supporting this, but I'm curious... why is it cruel
> again? Rhinos have hides that are essentially armor plating. Shooting a
> rhino with a paintball gun would do absolutely no damage to the animal,
and
> hitting an animal like that in the eye would be pretty damn difficult.
>
> --
> Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
> It's not a god complex when you're always right

22 Jul 2004 01:00:44
Lee Drake
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

"Jason G" > That sounds like the best advice of the whole thread.

Glad you liked it :)

Firefly

22 Jul 2004 01:07:30
Tom Greening
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

Just out of curiosity, tell me about your stint in Africa. Where were you,
how long, what for, what you thought, would you recommend it. That kind of
stuff. I had a friend invite for a trip and my first reaction was "ahhhh,
thanks anyway". Maybe I wasn't giving it a fair shake. I like traveling
so I'm wondering if it's a worthwhile destination.

The Caribbean is ok depending where you go. Grenada was pretty cool. Japan
was awesome(going back next month) and India f*cking sucked like a freakin
black hole. I can't imagine why everyone in that country doesn't commit
suicide. Canada is nice but doesn't count because like Homer says....that's
America Junior.

"Jeff Goslin" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Bottom line, you get close enough to a rhino to paint an X on it, you die,
> or you are SERIOUSLY injured. Rhinos don't fuck around. Safari guides
know
> this, a main reason why they remain alive to be safari guides for the next
> batch of tourists, which is why they wouldn't do what you're suggesting.
> That's the main reason why I know your story is bogus.
>
> However, nice followup attempt to justify your trolling.
>
> --
> Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
> It's not a god complex when you're always right

22 Jul 2004 07:13:06
Jeff Goslin
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

"Tom Greening" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Just out of curiosity, tell me about your stint in Africa. Where were
you,
> how long, what for, what you thought, would you recommend it. That kind
of
> stuff. I had a friend invite for a trip and my first reaction was
"ahhhh,
> thanks anyway". Maybe I wasn't giving it a fair shake. I like traveling
> so I'm wondering if it's a worthwhile destination.

As far as recommending it for a trip, it depends what you enjoy.
Personally, I don't think I'll ever go anywhere again that I'm not assured
will have "the comforts of home", which include running water, electricity,
toilet paper, and hot food. That's just me.

That said, you will never have an experience in the world that can rival the
awesome sights that you will see when on either an African Safari, or a
scuba dive off the Great Barrier Reef. While I haven't visited the Great
Barrier Reef personally, the descriptions provided to me by people who did
go sounded like my experiences with diving in South Africa, but beefed up
about tenfold. I will speak to what I know, however, and focus on South
Africa.

I lived in Africa for 5 years, from age 9 to age 14. During that time, we
travelled extensively, from one end of the country to the other. Cape Town
to Johannesburg and everywhere in between. The most exhilirating experience
was a month in the Kruger National Park, the largest game reserve in
southern Africa, rivalled only by one in Kenya(can't recall the name off the
top of my head, but it's considered the best in the world, and Kruger #2).

Our "safari" was the family in the family car towing the family trailer.
When you arrive, you go through huge gates that pass through almost
"jurassic park" like perimeter fences. You head to your camp, leave the
trailer behind, and head out down the roads. Some are paved, some are back
roads, but no matter where you look, you see animals.

The camps are impressive and frightening at the same time. They had
restroom shacks with toilets and showers in them, and if you had to go, you
walked from your trailer to the shack. You *didn't* go at night. Every
morning, you would wake up, rub your eyes, open the door to the trailer, and
see a HERD of antelope grazing inside the compound. The crack of dawn would
cause them to scatter, but in the pre-dawn hours when it's "light enough"
they are just standing around grazing. That is the frightening part. The
camps are surrounded by supposedly "predator proof" fences, to ostensibly
keep out the big bad creatures like lions and whatnot. These antelope could
jump these fences without a second thought, a good 10 feet in the air. If
these antelope can do it so easily, why should I feel comfortable that a
LION can't do the same thing.

The especially unnerving thing about it was the fact that you could hear
lions and other creatures growling, moaning and howling all throughout the
night. You *KNEW* there were predators in very close proximity to where you
were, and there wasn't but a 10 foot fence keeping them from you. That
was... unsettling... to say the least.

I'll relate only one experience for you, because it made such an impact on
me. I remember it to this day. We had gotten sort of turned around on some
back roads, so my dad stops the car, and is mulling over the park map along
with my mother in the front seat, my brother and I are in the back seat.
It's about 100 degrees, middle of summer, and the car has no air
conditioning, so the windows are open. We're not paying much attention at
all, and all of a sudden, my mom goes "GAH! BRIAN BRIAN BRIAN BRIAN!!!!" (my
dad)... of course he doesn't know what the fuck until she starts RAPIDLY
rolling up her window. He looks out the front, about the same time my
brother and I look out the front. There is a male lion about the size of
our CAR (small car, VW Golf, but still, DAMN!) standing in the middle of the
road about 10 feet in front of the car. Everyone rolls up the windows and
watches carefully, not making a sound. An entire pride of about 20 lions
strolls across the road, in front, behind and around our car. Big, small,
male, female, a whole mess of em. Were we in any real danger? Probably
not. But who else do you know has essentially been INSIDE a lion's pride,
and lived to tell the tale?

That's the kind of experience that a safari gets you, and if you want to
have stories like that to tell, go to africa and go on a safari/visit the
game parks.

If you go, do the touristy things. They ham it up for the tourists at those
places, but they are experiences not to be missed. Of note, OSTRICH RIDING,
yep, ostrich riding. How do you steer an ostrich? Use it's neck like a
joystick. It's not a very smart creature, so what it does to maintain
balance is make sure it's HEAD is on top of it's NECK. If it's head goes
forward, it moves forward to place it's head back over it's neck. If you
pull back on the neck, it will move backwards to get it's head in the right
place again. The farther you pull, the faster it goes in said direction to
right it's head. BOY that was fun. They're fast fuckers too! Both my
brother and I rode ostriches around an ostrich racing track.

Of course, Africa really is Africa. The day we arrived, we were greeted at
the airport by a friend of my dad's. We went back to his house to stay the
night, and when I got out of the car, a 6 foot king cobra reared up and
spread it's hood. I froze, but the guy who's house we were staying at
simply grabbed it by the tail and tossed it in the bushes like it was
nothing. I ran into more than my share of venomous snakes, myself,
including the puff adder, which I almost stepped on, but thankfully it was
winter, so the snake wasn't very interested in moving. Insects are a big
problem, but you get used to it. There are spiders there the size of your
hand, and an *average* spider is about the size of a postit note(compared to
say nickel/dime sized here?) Of course, then there are some REALLY cool
chameleons too!

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

Jeff Goslin
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

"Tom Greening" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Just out of curiosity, tell me about your stint in Africa. Where were
you,
> how long, what for, what you thought, would you recommend it. That kind
of
> stuff. I had a friend invite for a trip and my first reaction was
"ahhhh,
> thanks anyway". Maybe I wasn't giving it a fair shake. I like traveling
> so I'm wondering if it's a worthwhile destination.

Dammit, didn't get to finish my chameleon story. My dog saw a "something"
crawling across the patio(it was well blended, but not well enough), and
decided to investigate. sniff sniff, lick lick, paw paw, pick up in
mouth... we see what's going on and yell at the dog... "RAKA, DROP IT!!!"
he obediently does so. Chameleons, when attacked, turn black in color, open
their mouths wide as can be(the inside is bright orange, btw), and they hiss
at whatever is attacking them, the idea being they look menacing and
impressive and whatnot, but they really can't do jack shit if they get
attacked.

So this thing is now black where it was sort of sand in color, and it's
orange mouth is open and it's hissing loudly at my dog. My dog is a 140
pound rhodesian ridgeback mix of some sort, a HUGE dog. This 3 ounce lizard
has put the fear of GOD into my dog, I swear. My dog did NOT know what to
do. Cocks it's head to the side, backs up some, barks, backs up, looks back
at us, moves forward, stops, more head cocking, more backing up, FREAKING
OUT! It then moved as fast as it's chameleon legs would take it(a *VERY*
slow pace) to the nearest tree. Funny thing is, my dog didn't harm the
thing at all, he just wanted to know what it was.

I guess I would have to say overall that my memories of Africa are very
fond, especially of my safari experiences. I would highly recommend it for
the adventurous spirit.

--

Jeff Goslin wrote:
> Goddamn, no kidding, two serious replies... this guy got two serious
> replies with this bullshit, I can't believe that.
<snip >
> Methinks today was a slow thought process day.

For the record Jeff, we are going with two friends that live in JoBurg one
of whom will be housing us, and my best friend, a
Rhodesian (now Zim) ex-pat that lives close to us here in the States. Simply
because you don't know people that travel abroad
doesn't mean that people do not do it, how narrow minded. We try to vacation
overseas every two or three years. Our last trip was to
Hong Kong, no adventures like rhino-marking there but I did get one very
good day of insane mountain-biking in - every pro shop in
HK rents really crappy bikes - think k-mart, (if you want a good one there,
you have to buy it) so I ended up having to make three
field repairs in 6 hours of riding :) (thank God I had the foresight to pack
my tool-kit) Coming up is the afore mentioned S.A.
trip. The next one will be to Thailand. After that 'hopefully' Australia/NZ.

I've never been to South Africa or anywhere else in the African continent
before. All I know is that my friends wouldn't lie to me
about this. As for the guides not being able to afford paintball guns,
you're probably right, but I don't know anything more than to
tell you that they DON'T use paintball guns. They do it with a brush - by
hand! I know it sounds suicidal. It sounds that way to me
too! That's why I'm looking at paintball as a 'safer' alternative - that
extra forty feet of running head-start can't hurt. But I've
been assured they play (by hand) almost every time they go out, and they've
never gotten hurt. I don't know what else to tell you.

MV

22 Jul 2004 13:16:21
Big-T
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

"Jeff Goslin" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Goddamn, no kidding, two serious replies... this guy got two serious
replies
> with this bullshit, I can't believe that.
>
> *makes the gills and the fishhooks and more gills and more fishhooks*
>
> Jesus christ, people. A guide does *NOT* paint an X on a rhino's ass,
> mainly because a rhino can go from 0 to 30 in about a second(not to
mention
> the ensuing and predictable goring/trampling effect that tends to be very
> unhealthy for people), and go from 0 to SUPER-PISSED in about a
> nanosecond(especially the black ones). People who fuck with rhinos end
up
> as darwinian proof. Next problem, of ALLLLL of the people you know, can
you
> name *TWO* sets of people who have been to Africa, let alone one? I've
> *LIVED* in Africa, and can't name a single person that I know who has
been
> to Africa. Next problem, the GUIDES made up this event? The barely have
> CLODS to throw at things, let alone 1500 dollar paintball guns and
> paintballs.
>
> Methinks today was a slow thought process day.

I thought it was funnier that Jeff had to explain the troll LOL

;P

22 Jul 2004 13:17:00
Big-T
Re: Safari with paintball... need advice

"Insane Ranter" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:vEzLc.5531$%[email protected]
of the suhaira (to lazy care how to spell it)

> Now that I think about it... I know 4 total...
>
> The above three... then another friends wife was in Cameroon when she was
> little because her parents were missionaries....
>
> So 2 in Egypt, 1 Zaire, 1 Cameroon. I might even come up with more if I
> really tried!

I can hear Jeff now "Oh shut up will ya?!" ;)