20 Aug 2004 09:59:03
Rick Scott
The Paintball Dojo

(C&C warning in effect. I blame this post on a combination of
fatigue, my VHS collection, and some of the recent discussion in this
newsgroup.)

I've been thinking about the issue of players' conduct in the
sport, and I've been kicking around a few ways to bring people around.
Perhaps what we need to do is get the ball rolling on some kind
of quasi-religious dogma that'll spread like wildfire. If enough
players buy into our virtues, then the ones who don't might either
be ostracized out of the sport, or ridiculed and ignored as
benighted heathens. Maybe start by calling fields `paintball dojos',
then get some good old-fashioned indoctrination going...

Sensei: WIPING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
Class: NO, SENSEI!
Sensei: CHEATING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
Class: NO, SENSEI!
Sensei: BONUS BALLING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
Class: NO, SENSEI!
Sensei: WIPING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
Class: NO, SENSEI!
Sensei: CHEATING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
Class: NO, SENSEI!
Sensei: FREIGHT TRAINING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
Class: NO, SENSEI!
Sensei: What do we study here?
Class: THE WAY OF THE PAINTBALL, SIR!
Sensei: And what is that way?
Class: PLAY HARD PLAY SAFE NO CHEATING SIR!
Sensei: I can't hear you!
Class: PLAY HARD PLAY SAFE NO CHEATING SIR!
Sensei: We do not train to be cheaters here; cheating is for the weak.
A player cheats on the field; they are without honour.
The dishonoured deserve no victory.

(PS. Name the movie.)
I figure before too long, this kind of thing could spread, and then
all of the cheaters and wipers would either convert and be saved,
or be forced out of the sport by the new `moral majority' of paintball.
=)

---

All kidding aside: if enough players believed that cheaters should
be objects of scorn and ridicule and that cheating shows that you
have no game, then how could the idiots stay in the sport? And
if we're not there already, then why not?

Rick
--
key CF8F8A75 / print C5C1 F87D 5056 D2C0 D5CE D58F 970F 04D1 CF8F 8A75
FEAST, n. A festival. A religious celebration usually signalized by

20 Aug 2004 07:47:09
Jose
Re: The Paintball Dojo

Karate Kid, baby.

It's a nice thought. I encourage fair play and compliment younger players
when they do so. That's the best anyone can do. Well, we still want to get
a field up and going. Once we do that, we would most certainly insist on
fair play or go home.

Jose

"Rick Scott" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> (C&C warning in effect. I blame this post on a combination of
> fatigue, my VHS collection, and some of the recent discussion in this
> newsgroup.)
>
> I've been thinking about the issue of players' conduct in the
> sport, and I've been kicking around a few ways to bring people around.
> Perhaps what we need to do is get the ball rolling on some kind
> of quasi-religious dogma that'll spread like wildfire. If enough
> players buy into our virtues, then the ones who don't might either
> be ostracized out of the sport, or ridiculed and ignored as
> benighted heathens. Maybe start by calling fields `paintball dojos',
> then get some good old-fashioned indoctrination going...
>

> Sensei: WIPING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
> Class: NO, SENSEI!
> Sensei: CHEATING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
> Class: NO, SENSEI!
> Sensei: BONUS BALLING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
> Class: NO, SENSEI!
> Sensei: WIPING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
> Class: NO, SENSEI!
> Sensei: CHEATING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
> Class: NO, SENSEI!
> Sensei: FREIGHT TRAINING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
> Class: NO, SENSEI!
> Sensei: What do we study here?
> Class: THE WAY OF THE PAINTBALL, SIR!
> Sensei: And what is that way?
> Class: PLAY HARD PLAY SAFE NO CHEATING SIR!
> Sensei: I can't hear you!
> Class: PLAY HARD PLAY SAFE NO CHEATING SIR!
> Sensei: We do not train to be cheaters here; cheating is for the weak.
> A player cheats on the field; they are without honour.
> The dishonoured deserve no victory.
>
> (PS. Name the movie.)
> I figure before too long, this kind of thing could spread, and then
> all of the cheaters and wipers would either convert and be saved,
> or be forced out of the sport by the new `moral majority' of paintball.
> =)
>
> ---
>
> All kidding aside: if enough players believed that cheaters should
> be objects of scorn and ridicule and that cheating shows that you
> have no game, then how could the idiots stay in the sport? And
> if we're not there already, then why not?
>

> Rick
> --
> key CF8F8A75 / print C5C1 F87D 5056 D2C0 D5CE D58F 970F 04D1 CF8F 8A75
> FEAST, n. A festival. A religious celebration usually signalized by
> gluttony and drunkenness, frequently in honor of some holy person
> distinguished for abstemiousness. :Ambrose Bierce

20 Aug 2004 13:07:14
Space Cadet
Re: The Paintball Dojo

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:59:03 GMT, [email protected] (Rick
Scott) wrote:
Actually it's a pretty good idea if you asked me! Made me think of a
way to implement it...

Since I only have two fields in my area, I might just type up a brief
summary regarding the benifits of sportsmanship, honor and
integrity...then have a little chat with the field onwers..(both very
personalble guys in this case), see if I can't get them to amend their
pre-game safety speach to include some of the moral points as
well...should't be hard really...in effect unless you are at a
sanctioned tournament, we are all playing rec-ball anyway, no matter
what some of the assholes think...it comes back to honor and
integrity...no harm in reinforcing that at the start of every day!

Jerks will still be jerks...but now they will be doing in in defiance
of the field owners SPECIFIC direction....eventually that should
aleinate them to the point of leaving....or complying..either way it
works!

SC

>(C&C warning in effect. I blame this post on a combination of
>fatigue, my VHS collection, and some of the recent discussion in this
>newsgroup.)
>
>I've been thinking about the issue of players' conduct in the
>sport, and I've been kicking around a few ways to bring people around.
>Perhaps what we need to do is get the ball rolling on some kind
>of quasi-religious dogma that'll spread like wildfire. If enough
>players buy into our virtues, then the ones who don't might either
>be ostracized out of the sport, or ridiculed and ignored as
>benighted heathens. Maybe start by calling fields `paintball dojos',
>then get some good old-fashioned indoctrination going...
>

>Sensei: WIPING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
> Class: NO, SENSEI!
>Sensei: CHEATING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
> Class: NO, SENSEI!
>Sensei: BONUS BALLING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
> Class: NO, SENSEI!
>Sensei: WIPING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
> Class: NO, SENSEI!
>Sensei: CHEATING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
> Class: NO, SENSEI!
>Sensei: FREIGHT TRAINING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
> Class: NO, SENSEI!
>Sensei: What do we study here?
> Class: THE WAY OF THE PAINTBALL, SIR!
>Sensei: And what is that way?
> Class: PLAY HARD PLAY SAFE NO CHEATING SIR!
>Sensei: I can't hear you!
> Class: PLAY HARD PLAY SAFE NO CHEATING SIR!
>Sensei: We do not train to be cheaters here; cheating is for the weak.
> A player cheats on the field; they are without honour.
> The dishonoured deserve no victory.
>
>(PS. Name the movie.)
>I figure before too long, this kind of thing could spread, and then
>all of the cheaters and wipers would either convert and be saved,
>or be forced out of the sport by the new `moral majority' of paintball.
>=)
>
>---
>
>All kidding aside: if enough players believed that cheaters should
>be objects of scorn and ridicule and that cheating shows that you
>have no game, then how could the idiots stay in the sport? And
>if we're not there already, then why not?
>

>Rick

20 Aug 2004 14:13:33
Jeff Goslin
Re: The Paintball Dojo

ooooook then... remind me not to drink the koolaid at YOUR barbeque... ;)

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

"Rick Scott" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> (C&C warning in effect. I blame this post on a combination of
> fatigue, my VHS collection, and some of the recent discussion in this
> newsgroup.)
>
> I've been thinking about the issue of players' conduct in the
> sport, and I've been kicking around a few ways to bring people around.
> Perhaps what we need to do is get the ball rolling on some kind
> of quasi-religious dogma that'll spread like wildfire. If enough
> players buy into our virtues, then the ones who don't might either
> be ostracized out of the sport, or ridiculed and ignored as
> benighted heathens. Maybe start by calling fields `paintball dojos',
> then get some good old-fashioned indoctrination going...
>

> Sensei: WIPING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
> Class: NO, SENSEI!
> Sensei: CHEATING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
> Class: NO, SENSEI!
> Sensei: BONUS BALLING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
> Class: NO, SENSEI!
> Sensei: WIPING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
> Class: NO, SENSEI!
> Sensei: CHEATING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
> Class: NO, SENSEI!
> Sensei: FREIGHT TRAINING...does not exist in this dojo, DOES IT?
> Class: NO, SENSEI!
> Sensei: What do we study here?
> Class: THE WAY OF THE PAINTBALL, SIR!
> Sensei: And what is that way?
> Class: PLAY HARD PLAY SAFE NO CHEATING SIR!
> Sensei: I can't hear you!
> Class: PLAY HARD PLAY SAFE NO CHEATING SIR!
> Sensei: We do not train to be cheaters here; cheating is for the weak.
> A player cheats on the field; they are without honour.
> The dishonoured deserve no victory.
>
> (PS. Name the movie.)
> I figure before too long, this kind of thing could spread, and then
> all of the cheaters and wipers would either convert and be saved,
> or be forced out of the sport by the new `moral majority' of paintball.
> =)
>
> ---
>
> All kidding aside: if enough players believed that cheaters should
> be objects of scorn and ridicule and that cheating shows that you
> have no game, then how could the idiots stay in the sport? And
> if we're not there already, then why not?
>

> Rick
> --
> key CF8F8A75 / print C5C1 F87D 5056 D2C0 D5CE D58F 970F 04D1 CF8F 8A75
> FEAST, n. A festival. A religious celebration usually signalized by
> gluttony and drunkenness, frequently in honor of some holy person
> distinguished for abstemiousness. :Ambrose Bierce

20 Aug 2004 21:20:14
Rick Scott
Re: The Paintball Dojo

(Jeff Goslin <[email protected] > uttered:)
> ooooook then... remind me not to drink the koolaid at YOUR
> barbeque... ;)

Hey, I declared off the bat that there was some outlandish imagery
to follow.

Rick
--
key CF8F8A75 / print C5C1 F87D 5056 D2C0 D5CE D58F 970F 04D1 CF8F 8A75
They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton,

20 Aug 2004 21:52:55
PballWOLF
Re: The Paintball Dojo

Don't fight it. The decline of society will roll right through you.

Honor left the building with honesty, chastity, sobriety, and character a long
time ago. They formed a gang and are using the golden rule to pull a train on
work ethic as we speak.

20 Aug 2004 18:46:25
Jeff Goslin
Re: The Paintball Dojo

"Rick Scott" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> (Jeff Goslin <[email protected]> uttered:)
> > ooooook then... remind me not to drink the koolaid at YOUR
> > barbeque... ;)
>
> Hey, I declared off the bat that there was some outlandish imagery
> to follow.

Yes Father Jones, whatever you say Father Jones... ;)

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info