24 May 2004 16:16:06
The perfect paintball arena

I know I'll be sorry but I'm asking for your opinions ;-)
I'm in the process of setting up a store and indoor arena and figured there
was no better place to find out what players would want then here. My
partner is the paintball guru, I'm a relative newbie so be gentle.

If you could design your perfect arena and store what would it have?

Thanks
RC

24 May 2004 17:44:53
-=GriFter=-
Re: The perfect paintball arena

Ok, say we give you ideas that you use and profit from, what's in it for us?
--

-=GriFter=-

<RC > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
| I know I'll be sorry but I'm asking for your opinions ;-)
| I'm in the process of setting up a store and indoor arena and figured
there
| was no better place to find out what players would want then here. My
| partner is the paintball guru, I'm a relative newbie so be gentle.
|
| If you could design your perfect arena and store what would it have?
|
| Thanks
| RC

24 May 2004 14:31:49
Randy Given
Re: The perfect paintball arena

> If you could design your perfect arena and store what would it have?

Things that I would want in an indoor paintball arena:

Store:

+ HPA fills (not just CO2)

+ airsmith

+ firing range (to test fixes by airsmith)

+ one each of top 10 markers (may be ordered)

+ all kinds of gear and clothing

+ rentals

+ food (like hotdogs) and drinks

+ clean restroom(s)

+ lots of parking (think large tournaments)

+ board for announcements, brochures, tourneys

Field:

+ surface that is cushiony like grass (not like concrete)

+ good lighting (not too low)

+ well protected seating area with good view for spectators

+ acoustic insulation or so that it is not like the OK Corral

+ good exit areas / dead boxes

24 May 2004 19:23:41
Re: The perfect paintball arena

"-=GriFter=-" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Ok, say we give you ideas that you use and profit from, what's in it for
us?
> --

Fair question. How about a place to play that fits all of what you want? Our
open market economy will keep the prices competitive. I'm planning club and
frequent player discounts so if you do come on down (or up or over depending
on what part of the country you're in) and play you would be able to get a
discount. Then there's the flip-side, if you don't make suggestions now, you
can't bitch later ;-)

25 May 2004 02:22:40
EdTheWard
Re: The perfect paintball arena

"Randy Given" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> > If you could design your perfect arena and store what would it have?

> + one each of top 10 markers (may be ordered)

top 10 markers? from who? david letterman? how do you rate top 10 ?!?!

shit, the "top 10 markers" changes every month if you go by popularity!

top 10 mechanical? top 10 electric? top 10 pumps?

bah.

> + well protected seating area with good view for spectators
>
> + acoustic insulation or so that it is not like the OK Corral

these are the only two that i DON'T see at most places. who cares how loud
it is. it's not like a shotgun going off.

the other things you listed are quite common at most places. at least around
here.

25 May 2004 02:25:44
EdTheWard
Re: The perfect paintball arena

<RC > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I know I'll be sorry but I'm asking for your opinions ;-)
> I'm in the process of setting up a store and indoor arena and figured
there
> was no better place to find out what players would want then here. My
> partner is the paintball guru, I'm a relative newbie so be gentle.
>
> If you could design your perfect arena and store what would it have?
>
> Thanks
> RC

I want a stripper bar. they can strip inside plexiglass tubes and be on the
field by way of plexiglass walkways from the bar to the field.

paintball, beer and titties.

mmmmmmm....

25 May 2004 11:32:43
-=GriFter=-
Re: The perfect paintball arena

Hell Yea, that's the best idea yet!!
--

-=GriFter=-

"EdTheWard" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

| <RC > wrote in message
| news:[email protected]
| > I know I'll be sorry but I'm asking for your opinions ;-)
| > I'm in the process of setting up a store and indoor arena and figured
| there
| > was no better place to find out what players would want then here. My
| > partner is the paintball guru, I'm a relative newbie so be gentle.
| >
| > If you could design your perfect arena and store what would it have?
| >
| > Thanks
| > RC
| >

| I want a stripper bar. they can strip inside plexiglass tubes and be on
the
| field by way of plexiglass walkways from the bar to the field.
|
| paintball, beer and titties.
|
| mmmmmmm....

25 May 2004 09:31:45
Randy Given
Re: The perfect paintball arena

> > + one each of top 10 markers (may be ordered)
>
> top 10 markers? from who? david letterman? how do you rate top 10 ?!?!
>
> shit, the "top 10 markers" changes every month if you go by popularity!
>
> top 10 mechanical? top 10 electric? top 10 pumps?
>
> bah.

Just the idea. I think he got the point. Our local field must have some 50
on the wall. That is what I am thinking of. Others do not have any. Pick
something towards the high end.

> > + well protected seating area with good view for spectators

Very few areas take this into consideration. Most players design for players
and not spectators. They forget this is a growing sport. They forget that
parents and friends want to watch without have to wear goggles. They forget
a lot of things....

> > + acoustic insulation or so that it is not like the OK Corral
>
> these are the only two that i DON'T see at most places. who cares how loud
> it is. it's not like a shotgun going off.

When indoors, noise adds up real fast. You add yelling, which is often
louder than the markers, along with everything else going on and the noise
becomes an issue. It is less an issue for the players, who are playing and
have noise-reducing goggles on. Of course, most designers will think of this
problem and design for it so that we are not aware of it. Merely having a
high roof helps tremendously. However, some people will get (too) cheap and
it gets on your nerves, sometimes without really noticing it. Especially for
spectators. You ever been to a poorly designed basketball stadium? When
people clap, it can make your ears hurt. A little homework would have
greatly reduced that. Of course, in that situation, the spectators are even
more of a financial concern, but our sport is heading that direction.

> the other things you listed are quite common at most places. at least
around
> here.

Yes. So, what would YOU add to the list?

25 May 2004 09:15:28
Jason Lopez
Re: The perfect paintball arena

In addition to the things that Randy mentioned, I would try and have variety
to the arena. Have the arena capable of modifications that can be completed
from one closing to the next opening. That way, you don't have people
memorizing the field and having more of an advantage than necessary.

Also, if you have a facility large enough, having a couple of small
speedball arenas ready might be good. Dependent upon the number of people
you plan on having as recurring customers, this might be handy. Multiple
games being run at the same time with variety in what they can do in the
arenas.

A recommendation for the observers of the games is to have (roughly and
without technical expertise in the field) a multi-pane 1/4" plexiglass
window in the observation area. If the area covers the entire entry and
preparation area, then the windows can be placed on all sides in order to
allow overlook of all arenas and games.

Jason

"Randy Given" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> > > + one each of top 10 markers (may be ordered)
> >
> > top 10 markers? from who? david letterman? how do you rate top 10 ?!?!
> >
> > shit, the "top 10 markers" changes every month if you go by popularity!
> >
> > top 10 mechanical? top 10 electric? top 10 pumps?
> >
> > bah.
>
> Just the idea. I think he got the point. Our local field must have some 50
> on the wall. That is what I am thinking of. Others do not have any. Pick
> something towards the high end.
>
> > > + well protected seating area with good view for spectators
> > >

> Very few areas take this into consideration. Most players design for
players
> and not spectators. They forget this is a growing sport. They forget that
> parents and friends want to watch without have to wear goggles. They
forget
> a lot of things....
>
> > > + acoustic insulation or so that it is not like the OK Corral
> >
> > these are the only two that i DON'T see at most places. who cares how
loud
> > it is. it's not like a shotgun going off.
>
> When indoors, noise adds up real fast. You add yelling, which is often
> louder than the markers, along with everything else going on and the noise
> becomes an issue. It is less an issue for the players, who are playing and
> have noise-reducing goggles on. Of course, most designers will think of
this
> problem and design for it so that we are not aware of it. Merely having a
> high roof helps tremendously. However, some people will get (too) cheap
and
> it gets on your nerves, sometimes without really noticing it. Especially
for
> spectators. You ever been to a poorly designed basketball stadium? When
> people clap, it can make your ears hurt. A little homework would have
> greatly reduced that. Of course, in that situation, the spectators are
even
> more of a financial concern, but our sport is heading that direction.
>
> > the other things you listed are quite common at most places. at least
> around
> > here.
>
> Yes. So, what would YOU add to the list?

25 May 2004 21:43:15
EdTheWard
Re: The perfect paintball arena

"Randy Given" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Yes. So, what would YOU add to the list?

I already answered that. strippers and beer.

28 May 2004 13:17:28
Re: The perfect paintball arena

I'd like to thank everone for there great ideas. I hadn't though about
spectator space, but I think we can work that into it. The idea of a
less-then-hard (concrete) serface was one I had considdered then dissmissed
because of cost and that I didn't see any others doing it (small local
sample only). Im looking into this again. I really would like to do
something like the hard rubber playground sufaces or running track surfaces,
but they are pricy. Would you pay extra for this. As much as I might want to
just do it all and keep the cost next to nothing, the bottom line is I'd
only be able to do that for a couple months then the doors would close.

Thanks again.
RC

28 May 2004 10:09:19
Randy Given
Re: The perfect paintball arena

Hey, Goslin, what do you think?

28 May 2004 17:41:21
Jon C
Re: The perfect paintball arena

My local field, the Splat Factory in Chatham NY, has a sort of sawdust-type
floor that's quite a bit softer than concrete. You also might want to look
into some Astroturf with a carpet pad underneath, that might not be too
expensive.

<RC > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I'd like to thank everone for there great ideas. I hadn't though about
> spectator space, but I think we can work that into it. The idea of a
> less-then-hard (concrete) serface was one I had considdered then
dissmissed
> because of cost and that I didn't see any others doing it (small local
> sample only). Im looking into this again. I really would like to do
> something like the hard rubber playground sufaces or running track
surfaces,
> but they are pricy. Would you pay extra for this. As much as I might want
> just do it all and keep the cost next to nothing, the bottom line is I'd
> only be able to do that for a couple months then the doors would close.
>
> Thanks again.
> RC

28 May 2004 15:47:40
Jeff Goslin
Re: The perfect paintball arena

I think that the flooring is critical. The place I play at has this "gym
shower" gritty type covering on the floor with provides EXCELLENT traction,
even with a ton of paint on it.

Aside from that, you might as well make yet another speedball field, with
bunkers galore, and let the paint fly, because it seems like that's the only
way people play any longer. Besides, you're going to need the money and
volume this will generate if you're going to make your rent/taxes payments.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info