20 Jul 2004 01:13:53
Mike von Bek
Would a Tippmann 98 Custom be a good starter gun?

Ho there,

Sadly, I have just gotten myself addicted to paintball. Id played it
in the past, but due to eye problems wasnt much enamoured. One bout of
laser surgery later, Ive fallen in love with the game.

After some furious research, Ive been looking seriously at the
Tippmann 98 Custom as my first purchase. Well, not really - I already
picked up a Dye Invision mask, but as my first marker anyway.

Im thinking I might grab the Flatline barrel system, as well.

Is this a huge mistake? Anyone else out there use it as a starter
weapon with thoughts pro/con?

Info/advice welcome

Cheers
Mike

19 Jul 2004 18:04:48
John
Re: Would a Tippmann 98 Custom be a good starter gun?

Yep it is a good marker, and a great starter marker...

--
John TI2#003
[email protected]

19 Jul 2004 19:51:46
Jon C

Mike von Bek wrote:
> Ho there,
>
> Sadly, I have just gotten myself addicted to paintball. Id played it
> in the past, but due to eye problems wasnt much enamoured. One bout of
> laser surgery later, Ive fallen in love with the game.
>
> After some furious research, Ive been looking seriously at the
> Tippmann 98 Custom as my first purchase. Well, not really - I already
> picked up a Dye Invision mask, but as my first marker anyway.
>
> Im thinking I might grab the Flatline barrel system, as well.
>
> Is this a huge mistake? Anyone else out there use it as a starter
> weapon with thoughts pro/con?
>
> Info/advice welcome
>
> Cheers
> Mike

I got 98 Custom, then moved to a Spyder Imagine. I didn't like how big and
heavy the Tippmann was or how many little pieces there are to lose when you
take it apart. The 98C requires you to remove about a dozen screws than
lift off the entire half of the gun to get inside.. and then there are lots
of little spring loaded things that can shoot out. The Spyder, by contrast,
has a single pin to remove, and the half dozen or so pieces come out as a
whole. Very easy and simple.

The Spyder also looks better and can shoot faster (not that that's really
important). I'm happier with it than I was with my Tippy, so consider one.

19 Jul 2004 15:57:11
Jeff Goslin
Re: Would a Tippmann 98 Custom be a good starter gun?

<Mike von Bek > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> After some furious research, Ive been looking seriously at the
> Tippmann 98 Custom as my first purchase. Well, not really - I already
> picked up a Dye Invision mask, but as my first marker anyway.
>
> Im thinking I might grab the Flatline barrel system, as well.
>
> Is this a huge mistake? Anyone else out there use it as a starter
> weapon with thoughts pro/con?

The Tippmann is a good idea, I don't know if the Dye Invision is a thermal
mask off the top of my head, but as long as it is, that's a good choice(make
SURE your mask is thermal), but the Flatline is RIGHT OUT!!! DO NOT GET A
FLATLINE BARREL!!!

The problem with the flatline is simple. Yes, you can reach out and touch
someone with it. The problem is that by the time the ball reaches it's
target it's both generally wildly off target(ie you won't hit what you're
aiming for), and even if it does hit, the ball isn't moving fast enough to
break. So all that extra distance buys you precisely squat. Personally,
I'd get a vastly cheaper barrel with a decent range of paints that can go
through it, and providing generally excellent results. My personal favorite
is the J&J Ceramic. Inexpensive, lightweight, durable and accurate, it
combines the best that you can expect from a barrel without costing an arm
and a leg.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

Cybershark
Re: Would a Tippmann 98 Custom be a good starter gun?

wouldn't reccomend the flatline right off the break...it can very easily
cause more problems than it solves...it will add range, but you will suffer
accuracy degredation at that long range...also you'll have a completely
different trajectory than with any other gun...the ball seems to rise a
little at first, then laser straight, then immediate drop off...also if you
tilt the gun left or right you'll have a mad hook on the ball, not the
desired effect...just things to think about...I play a lot with guys using
98 and A5s...about 1/2 of them like the flatline, 1/2 think it's a
hassle...also on the 98 it's easier to get it installed at a slight angle
and completely mess up your trajectory...if you're serious about the
flatline plan on shooting only marbalizer (what it was designed and tested
on) and get an A5 so it can't get goofed up...other than that I'd pick the
98 over about any other mechanical gun under $200...next up would be the A5,
then cockers and mags...that's just on the mech route...if when you played
before you just felt like you needed a lot more firepower then perhaps an RT
tippmann or an electronic sear tripper (e-spyders and tippmanns) would be a
better choice...or if you're pretty good mechanically and electrically you
could just jump straight up to something like a BKO (great first
electropneumatic)...it all depends on what end of the sport you wanna get
into...recball and woodsball are the place for a 98 and with mods they can
hold their own on any field, but if you're solidly interested in tournaments
then you may want to skip that first step...

Ken

<Mike von Bek > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Ho there,
>
> Sadly, I have just gotten myself addicted to paintball. Id played it
> in the past, but due to eye problems wasnt much enamoured. One bout of
> laser surgery later, Ive fallen in love with the game.
>
> After some furious research, Ive been looking seriously at the
> Tippmann 98 Custom as my first purchase. Well, not really - I already
> picked up a Dye Invision mask, but as my first marker anyway.
>
> Im thinking I might grab the Flatline barrel system, as well.
>
> Is this a huge mistake? Anyone else out there use it as a starter
> weapon with thoughts pro/con?
>
> Info/advice welcome
>
> Cheers
> Mike

19 Jul 2004 17:13:08
Jeremy

"John" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Yep it is a good marker, and a great starter marker...

I second that advice. The 98C is a good, reliable marker. One thing I
would consider if you buy one is upgrading the barrel. I use a Smart
Parts Progressive, which costs around $35, and it does a good job. I
also added a double trigger, which was only around $18.

19 Jul 2004 18:20:48
Jason Lopez
Re: Would a Tippmann 98 Custom be a good starter gun?

I'm glad I have you guys to help us out on barrels. I was actually planning
on getting a FlatLine. After hearing this, I'll just be getting a longer
barrel. I do mostly scenarios and need the range. But if the FlatLine is
going to screw me over than help, I'm ditching that idea.

Thanks for the indirect advice.

Jason Lopez

"Cybershark" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> wouldn't reccomend the flatline right off the break...it can very easily
> cause more problems than it solves...it will add range, but you will
suffer
> accuracy degredation at that long range...also you'll have a completely
> different trajectory than with any other gun...the ball seems to rise a
> little at first, then laser straight, then immediate drop off...also if
you
> tilt the gun left or right you'll have a mad hook on the ball, not the
> desired effect...just things to think about...I play a lot with guys using
> 98 and A5s...about 1/2 of them like the flatline, 1/2 think it's a
> hassle...also on the 98 it's easier to get it installed at a slight angle
> and completely mess up your trajectory...if you're serious about the
> flatline plan on shooting only marbalizer (what it was designed and tested
> on) and get an A5 so it can't get goofed up...other than that I'd pick the
> 98 over about any other mechanical gun under $200...next up would be the
A5,
> then cockers and mags...that's just on the mech route...if when you played
> before you just felt like you needed a lot more firepower then perhaps an
RT
> tippmann or an electronic sear tripper (e-spyders and tippmanns) would be
> better choice...or if you're pretty good mechanically and electrically you
> could just jump straight up to something like a BKO (great first
> electropneumatic)...it all depends on what end of the sport you wanna get
> into...recball and woodsball are the place for a 98 and with mods they can
> hold their own on any field, but if you're solidly interested in
tournaments
> then you may want to skip that first step...
>
> Ken
>

> <Mike von Bek> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Ho there,
> >
> > Sadly, I have just gotten myself addicted to paintball. Id played it
> > in the past, but due to eye problems wasnt much enamoured. One bout of
> > laser surgery later, Ive fallen in love with the game.
> >
> > After some furious research, Ive been looking seriously at the
> > Tippmann 98 Custom as my first purchase. Well, not really - I already
> > picked up a Dye Invision mask, but as my first marker anyway.
> >
> > Im thinking I might grab the Flatline barrel system, as well.
> >
> > Is this a huge mistake? Anyone else out there use it as a starter
> > weapon with thoughts pro/con?
> >
> > Info/advice welcome
> >
> > Cheers
> > Mike

20 Jul 2004 01:19:08
Jon C

Jason Lopez wrote:

> I'm glad I have you guys to help us out on barrels. I was actually planning
> on getting a FlatLine. After hearing this, I'll just be getting a longer
> barrel. I do mostly scenarios and need the range. But if the FlatLine is
> going to screw me over than help, I'm ditching that idea.

What makes you think a ball that leaves a 16" barrel at 300 fps will go
farther than a ball leaving a 10" barrel at 300 fps?

20 Jul 2004 11:08:39
Mike von Bek

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 01:13:53 +0800, Mike von Bek < > wrote:

>Is this a huge mistake? Anyone else out there use it as a starter
>weapon with thoughts pro/con?

Wow, lots of good stuff. Thanks guys - obviously the Flatline is a
contentious barrel, so I will have to do some more research - see what
is good out there. Feel free to make suggestions.

I'll also check the Spyder Imagine. Im not interested in tournament
play, mostly wanting to pick up a simple marker because the local
fields markers are poorly maintained and wildly innacurate.

Thanks
Mike

20 Jul 2004 03:46:35
Jon C

Mike von Bek wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 01:13:53 +0800, Mike von Bek <> wrote:
>

>>Is this a huge mistake? Anyone else out there use it as a starter
>>weapon with thoughts pro/con?
>

> Wow, lots of good stuff. Thanks guys - obviously the Flatline is a
> contentious barrel, so I will have to do some more research - see what
> is good out there. Feel free to make suggestions.
>
> I'll also check the Spyder Imagine. Im not interested in tournament
> play, mostly wanting to pick up a simple marker because the local
> fields markers are poorly maintained and wildly innacurate.
>
> Thanks
> Mike

I play woods ball only FWIW. You'll be plenty happy whether you buy a 98C,
Spyder, Piranha, or whatever, as long as it's good quality. Whatever mask
you get be sure it has a thermal lens.. you can get them as cheaply as $30
new so there's no excuse. PBNation and Paintball-Forum are good places to
pick up slighly used or used markers cheap.. often you can find a nice
package with a barrel and some CO2 for 30% or more off list price.

20 Jul 2004 03:23:47
Jeff Goslin
Re: Would a Tippmann 98 Custom be a good starter gun?

"Jon C" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I got 98 Custom, then moved to a Spyder Imagine. I didn't like how big
and
> heavy the Tippmann was or how many little pieces there are to lose when
you
> take it apart. The 98C requires you to remove about a dozen screws than
> lift off the entire half of the gun to get inside.. and then there are
lots
> of little spring loaded things that can shoot out. The Spyder, by
contrast,
> has a single pin to remove, and the half dozen or so pieces come out as a
> whole. Very easy and simple.

Of course, there is the whole notion that the M98 is built well enough that
you probably will NEVER have to take it apart in the field, past it's first
chronoing. Assuming you maintain the thing *AWAY* from the field, you'll
probably never have to take it apart when you're AT the field. THe problem
with guns that are easy to take apart is simple: They NEED to be easy to
take apart because you need to take them apart more often. Personally, I'd
rather my gun stay together the entire time I'm at a field.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

Jeff Goslin
Re: Would a Tippmann 98 Custom be a good starter gun?

Longer is not necessarily better. If it helps you aim, great, but I've
found on a M98, 12" barrel is more than enough.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

"Jason Lopez" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [...]
can
> > hold their own on any field, but if you're solidly interested in
> tournaments
> > then you may want to skip that first step...
> >
> > Ken
> >

> > <Mike von Bek> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > Ho there,
> > >
> > > Sadly, I have just gotten myself addicted to paintball. Id played it
> > > in the past, but due to eye problems wasnt much enamoured. One bout of
> > > laser surgery later, Ive fallen in love with the game.
> > >
> > > After some furious research, Ive been looking seriously at the
> > > Tippmann 98 Custom as my first purchase. Well, not really - I already
> > > picked up a Dye Invision mask, but as my first marker anyway.
> > >
> > > Im thinking I might grab the Flatline barrel system, as well.
> > >
> > > Is this a huge mistake? Anyone else out there use it as a starter

20 Jul 2004 03:25:47
Jeff Goslin
Re: Would a Tippmann 98 Custom be a good starter gun?

"Jon C" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> What makes you think a ball that leaves a 16" barrel at 300 fps will go
> farther than a ball leaving a 10" barrel at 300 fps?

Well, it'll go six inches further... duhh... ;)

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

Mike von Bek
Re: Would a Tippmann 98 Custom be a good starter gun?

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 03:25:05 -0400, "Jeff Goslin"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>Longer is not necessarily better. If it helps you aim, great, but I've
>found on a M98, 12" barrel is more than enough.

Would there be any huge difference between the 12"/14" barrel lengths
from J&J?

20 Jul 2004 13:11:45
Big-T
Re: Would a Tippmann 98 Custom be a good starter gun?

<Mike von Bek > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 03:25:05 -0400, "Jeff Goslin"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Longer is not necessarily better. If it helps you aim, great, but I've
> >found on a M98, 12" barrel is more than enough.
>
> Would there be any huge difference between the 12"/14" barrel lengths
> from J&J? .

2 inches........literally

means you can get two inches closer to your bunker (theoretically) ;)

I use a 13" Armson on my Micromag and had an 11" carbon fiber on a Bob Long
Mill I had years ago and both barrels on it's respective gun shot arrow
straight.....of course I matched the paint perfectly and shot high quality
paint through them both backed by nitrogen (all which will affect accuracy
much more than barrel length)

If you like the shorter profile get the 12, if you like the apparent easier
aim of the long barrel get the 14

I can aim the same long or short, but some folks have a preference.

20 Jul 2004 14:45:41
Jeff Goslin
Re: Would a Tippmann 98 Custom be a good starter gun?

<Mike von Bek > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 03:25:05 -0400, "Jeff Goslin"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Longer is not necessarily better. If it helps you aim, great, but I've
> >found on a M98, 12" barrel is more than enough.
>
> Would there be any huge difference between the 12"/14" barrel lengths
> from J&J?

2". hehehe
But seriously, the 14" is a bit long for the gun, I'd go with the 12"

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

John
Re: Would a Tippmann 98 Custom be a good starter gun?

Mike, I have the Tippy A-5, and I have a flatline barrel. They are generally
a waste of money. As Jeff pointed out, that you can shoot farther, but
concidering that a person can move out of the way makes the distance moot. I
had that problem. Also if your in an area with alot of wind, wind makes the
ball unstable, an less acurate. Wanna get the same ditance without a flat
iline barrel? Aim higher. Now I know there is a snipper barrel for the 98,
if I were you, that would be the one I'd research. I do not even use my A-5
flatline barrel, I used it three times and took it off.

--
John TI2#003
[email protected]

20 Jul 2004 17:53:22
Mark
Re: Would a Tippmann 98 Custom be a good starter gun?

#1 - The 98 makes a great starter marker ... very reliable and sturdy as all
heck

#2 - Trust those that have or have had Flatlines ... other opinions are just
that

#3 - 98s make great starter markers in paintball ... but ... terrible
starter markers in Olympic relays

19 Jul 2004 21:52:38
doug
Re: Would a Tippmann 98 Custom be a good starter gun?

no tippman is a great gun but its old now so stay updated get the new A5
with flatline
<Mike von Bek > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Ho there,
>
> Sadly, I have just gotten myself addicted to paintball. Id played it
> in the past, but due to eye problems wasnt much enamoured. One bout of
> laser surgery later, Ive fallen in love with the game.
>
> After some furious research, Ive been looking seriously at the
> Tippmann 98 Custom as my first purchase. Well, not really - I already
> picked up a Dye Invision mask, but as my first marker anyway.
>
> Im thinking I might grab the Flatline barrel system, as well.
>
> Is this a huge mistake? Anyone else out there use it as a starter
> weapon with thoughts pro/con?
>
> Info/advice welcome
>
> Cheers
> Mike

21 Jul 2004 16:42:36
Mike von Bek
Re: Would a Tippmann 98 Custom be a good starter gun?

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:11:45 -0500, "Big-T" <[email protected] >
wrote:

>2 inches........literally
>
>means you can get two inches closer to your bunker (theoretically) ;)
>
>I use a 13" Armson on my Micromag and had an 11" carbon fiber on a Bob Long
>Mill I had years ago and both barrels on it's respective gun shot arrow
>straight.....of course I matched the paint perfectly and shot high quality
>paint through them both backed by nitrogen (all which will affect accuracy
>much more than barrel length)
>
>If you like the shorter profile get the 12, if you like the apparent easier
>aim of the long barrel get the 14
>
>I can aim the same long or short, but some folks have a preference.

I'll probably go for the 12" then, I dont need to compensate with a
longer barrel, as it were.

Actually, youve got me wondering - is it better to use nitrogen or
C02? Ive read that its the bees knees and that it makes no
difference...

21 Jul 2004 16:43:55
Mike von Bek
Re: Would a Tippmann 98 Custom be a good starter gun?

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:52:38 -0700, "doug" <[email protected] >
wrote:

>no tippman is a great gun but its old now so stay updated get the new A5
>with flatline

Are Tippmann planning on updating the Model 98? The A5 seems more for
the 'lay down paint' player, whereas Im a more conservative 'pick your
shot' style player, which is why Ive shyed away from it - apart from
its increased cost.

21 Jul 2004 16:44:47
Mike von Bek

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:53:22 -0700, "Mark" <[email protected] > wrote:

>#1 - The 98 makes a great starter marker ... very reliable and sturdy as all
>heck
>
>#2 - Trust those that have or have had Flatlines ... other opinions are just
>that
>
>#3 - 98s make great starter markers in paintball ... but ... terrible
>starter markers in Olympic relays

Well... I dont know, Id run faster if a guy was pointing a paintball
marker at me in a relay race. Wouldnt you?

21 Jul 2004 13:59:17
Big-T
Re: Would a Tippmann 98 Custom be a good starter gun?

"Mark" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> #2 - Trust those that have or have had Flatlines ... other opinions are
just
> that

you can also trust those who've been shot at with Flatline equipped 98s
only to laugh as the ball rose above our head or landed in my pocket for
easy reloading and firing back LOL

yeah, I've caught 2 or 3 paintballs in a shirt pocket and a couple in the
front of my overalls

22 Jul 2004 04:10:53
R. David Steele
Re: Would a Tippmann 98 Custom be a good starter gun?

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 03:46:35 GMT, Jon C <[email protected] >
wrote:

|Mike von Bek wrote:
|
| > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 01:13:53 +0800, Mike von Bek <> wrote:
| >

| >>Is this a huge mistake? Anyone else out there use it as a starter
| >>weapon with thoughts pro/con?
| >

| > Wow, lots of good stuff. Thanks guys - obviously the Flatline is a
| > contentious barrel, so I will have to do some more research - see what
| > is good out there. Feel free to make suggestions.
| >
| > I'll also check the Spyder Imagine. Im not interested in tournament
| > play, mostly wanting to pick up a simple marker because the local
| > fields markers are poorly maintained and wildly innacurate.
| >
| > Thanks
| > Mike
|
|I play woods ball only FWIW. You'll be plenty happy whether you buy a 98C,
|Spyder, Piranha, or whatever, as long as it's good quality. Whatever mask
|you get be sure it has a thermal lens.. you can get them as cheaply as $30
|new so there's no excuse. PBNation and Paintball-Forum are good places to
|pick up slighly used or used markers cheap.. often you can find a nice
|package with a barrel and some CO2 for 30% or more off list price.

What do you mean by "thermal lens"?

"If ye love wealth better than liberty ... servitude better than ... freedom,
go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel or your arms ... May your
chains set lightly upon you. May posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams

22 Jul 2004 04:13:57
Jon C

R. David Steele wrote:
> What do you mean by "thermal lens"?

Masks with thermal lenses are more resistant to fogging. Their
construction is similar to skiing goggles, where the lens is actually
double-paned. This helps even out the temperatures on the inner and
outer surfaces of both parts and greatly reduce (and in most cases
eliminate) fogging.

Jon

22 Jul 2004 11:29:06
R. David Steele
Re: Would a Tippmann 98 Custom be a good starter gun?

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:13:03 -0500, "Cybershark"
<[email protected] > wrote:

|wouldn't reccomend the flatline right off the break...it can very easily
|cause more problems than it solves...it will add range, but you will suffer
|accuracy degredation at that long range...also you'll have a completely
|different trajectory than with any other gun...the ball seems to rise a
|little at first, then laser straight, then immediate drop off...also if you
|tilt the gun left or right you'll have a mad hook on the ball, not the
|desired effect...just things to think about...I play a lot with guys using
|98 and A5s...about 1/2 of them like the flatline, 1/2 think it's a
|hassle...also on the 98 it's easier to get it installed at a slight angle
|and completely mess up your trajectory...if you're serious about the
|flatline plan on shooting only marbalizer (what it was designed and tested
|on) and get an A5 so it can't get goofed up...other than that I'd pick the
|98 over about any other mechanical gun under $200...next up would be the A5,
|then cockers and mags...that's just on the mech route...if when you played
|before you just felt like you needed a lot more firepower then perhaps an RT
|tippmann or an electronic sear tripper (e-spyders and tippmanns) would be a
|better choice...or if you're pretty good mechanically and electrically you
|could just jump straight up to something like a BKO (great first
|electropneumatic)...it all depends on what end of the sport you wanna get
|into...recball and woodsball are the place for a 98 and with mods they can
|hold their own on any field, but if you're solidly interested in tournaments
|then you may want to skip that first step...
|
|Ken

I am looking at the A-5 with the flatline barrel and the MP-5
stock. I know that it is more expensive but the system works
more like an MP-5, which I am familiar with (civilian,
transferable full auto, MP-5s with silencer are $14,500!).

What I am looking at is the ability to grow with the system. The
addition of the electronic trigger allows selective fire (semi,
full auto and burst). The flatline barrel is more about in close
accuracy than distance, at least for me. Plus it makes the
system handle more like a real MP-5. Folding stock likewise.
Put the pressure tank in my Camelbak Mule and use an extension
hose.

I also would think about red dot (aimpoint) sights as that allows
more of an tactical advantage (what the military is doing with
the M4). Also a laser but that really does not help as much as
the red dot sight.

This would be a good set up for woodsball but allow speedball
(A-5 does load fast).

Any criticism?