31 Oct 2005 18:26:29
unforgiven 33
another ball question

how does cold weather effect different paintballs?

31 Oct 2005 23:54:25
EDTHEWARD
Re: another ball question

"unforgiven 33" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> how does cold weather effect different paintballs?

thye can shrink, deform, dimple or become brittle.

there are paintballs made for wintertime but I have used them and they
weren't that much improvement. Polar Ice I think they are called.

31 Oct 2005 19:02:25
Jeff Goslin
Re: another ball question

"unforgiven 33" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> how does cold weather effect different paintballs?

Peeve. "effect" vs "affect". Learn to use them right.

That said, cold weather AFFECTS paintballs by making them brittle and
basically unfireable. The fill turns crystalline and brittle, the shell
turns crumbly and brittle. If you try to fire one in your gun, odds are
VERY good that it will be in a million pieces before the end of your barrel.

If you hear stories of people firing frozen paintballs at actual
targets(along with the typical "I can't believe he's still alive" bullshit
story), call their bullshit, because it's *EXTREMELY* difficult to get
paintballs to freeze and still have them fire intact. It's a simple
question of material engineering. And yes, I have tried personally. I left
a tube in the car in the dead of winter, yeah, I can kiss that paint
goodbye. The stuff shattered after a drop of 2 feet onto a hard surface. I
couldn't get it to chrono at all. It does make a hell of a racket, though,
when you're at the chrono. And it *CAN'T* be good for the gun... ;)

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

Hardtime
Re: another ball question

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:02:25 -0500, "Jeff Goslin"
<[email protected] > wrote:

>"unforgiven 33" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> how does cold weather effect different paintballs?
>
>Peeve. "effect" vs "affect". Learn to use them right.
>
>That said, cold weather AFFECTS paintballs by making them brittle and
>basically unfireable. The fill turns crystalline and brittle, the shell
>turns crumbly and brittle. If you try to fire one in your gun, odds are
>VERY good that it will be in a million pieces before the end of your barrel.
>
>If you hear stories of people firing frozen paintballs at actual
>targets(along with the typical "I can't believe he's still alive" bullshit
>story), call their bullshit, because it's *EXTREMELY* difficult to get
>paintballs to freeze and still have them fire intact. It's a simple
>question of material engineering. And yes, I have tried personally. I left
>a tube in the car in the dead of winter, yeah, I can kiss that paint
>goodbye. The stuff shattered after a drop of 2 feet onto a hard surface. I
>couldn't get it to chrono at all. It does make a hell of a racket, though,
>when you're at the chrono. And it *CAN'T* be good for the gun... ;)

And once they have been out in the bitter cold and you bring them
inside they sweat and just really become a mess.

We are talking about a hard freeze. I have some friends in Alaska (I
still have a little house up there) that play with it quite a bit and
they say it is the only paint that works lower than 40-45 degrees.
They also advise not to use it when it gets warm as they have much
harder shell and will sting badly when bunkering people at close
range.

06 Nov 2005 04:39:45
Jim
Re: another ball question

We play quite often in 20-30 degree weather and use normal paint (Zap,
Diablo, etc). Granted we keep the balls inside until we are ready to go
back to the woods and play, but after 4 or 5 hours they still fire normally
with no more ball breaks than we experience in the summer time.

Jim

> And once they have been out in the bitter cold and you bring them
> inside they sweat and just really become a mess.
>
> We are talking about a hard freeze. I have some friends in Alaska (I
> still have a little house up there) that play with it quite a bit and
> they say it is the only paint that works lower than 40-45 degrees.
> They also advise not to use it when it gets warm as they have much
> harder shell and will sting badly when bunkering people at close
> range.

06 Nov 2005 13:50:25
LCT Paintball
Re: another ball question

"Jim" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> We play quite often in 20-30 degree weather and use normal paint (Zap,
> Diablo, etc). Granted we keep the balls inside until we are ready to go
> back to the woods and play, but after 4 or 5 hours they still fire
> normally
> with no more ball breaks than we experience in the summer time.

Most manufacturers change their formula for use in winter. We still start
having trouble when the temp gets around 35. If it drops much below 30, I
spend all my time trying to help people get their markers working.

04 Nov 2005 17:51:01
Hardtime
Re: another ball question

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 04:39:45 GMT, Jim <[email protected] > wrote:

>We play quite often in 20-30 degree weather and use normal paint (Zap,
>Diablo, etc). Granted we keep the balls inside until we are ready to go
>back to the woods and play, but after 4 or 5 hours they still fire normally
>with no more ball breaks than we experience in the summer time.
>
>Jim

What I am saying is once they are outside bring them inside to the
warmer air and they tend to get a little soft or sweaty

Hardtime

http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

07 Nov 2005 04:04:37
Jim
Re: another ball question

"LCT Paintball" <[email protected] > wrote in
news:[email protected]_s22:

> "Jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> We play quite often in 20-30 degree weather and use normal paint
>> (Zap, Diablo, etc). Granted we keep the balls inside until we are
>> ready to go back to the woods and play, but after 4 or 5 hours they
>> still fire normally
>> with no more ball breaks than we experience in the summer time.
>

> Most manufacturers change their formula for use in winter. We still
> start having trouble when the temp gets around 35. If it drops much
> below 30, I spend all my time trying to help people get their markers
> working.

I agree on the guns. The Kingmans seem to have more trouble with the
cold than the Tippmans do, especially the older Spyders.