30 Oct 2005 18:53:51
unforgiven 33
balls....?

yesterday as i was playing, i began with two guns filled with the
"wildstreak" paintballs i bought from wally-world. i couldn't hit a dang
thing. i was very upset. at first i thought it was my guns. i switched
to some better quality paint bought from the pro shop there at the field
and my accuracy seriously improved.

it may seem like a silly question but... what's the difference?
i've read in here a few times about the diameter of different balls and
i've been told that there are low, mid and high grade balls. what's the
difference in them all?

30 Oct 2005 19:58:18
John
Re: balls....?

The biggest difference would be how fresh the paint was walmart keeps
there paint in the warehouse forever then its on the shelf then a year
later a kid buys it and never plays again because he cant hit anything.
I have seen boxes in stores that were marked from a year ago

31 Oct 2005 03:46:40
Matt Moriearty
Re: balls....?

unforgiven 33 wrote:
> yesterday as i was playing, i began with two guns filled with the
> "wildstreak" paintballs i bought from wally-world. i couldn't hit a dang
> thing. i was very upset. at first i thought it was my guns. i switched
> to some better quality paint bought from the pro shop there at the field
> and my accuracy seriously improved.
>
> it may seem like a silly question but... what's the difference?
> i've read in here a few times about the diameter of different balls and
> i've been told that there are low, mid and high grade balls. what's the
> difference in them all?

Sometimes it is the diameter of the paintballs--that doesn't effect it
as much as you'd think, short of a BIG difference. Usually, it's with
how round the paint is. A large seem forms a flat spot, the halves are
out of round, or the balls form dimples. Less commonly, and usually in
cheaper paint, like the BS Brass Eagle puts out, the paint can settle
and leave a heavy spot.

--
Please note that due to cuts in the budget, the light at the end of the
tunnel has been disconnected.

30 Oct 2005 22:46:24
Hardtime
Re: balls....?

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:53:51 -0500, [email protected] (unforgiven
33) wrote:

>yesterday as i was playing, i began with two guns filled with the
>"wildstreak" paintballs i bought from wally-world. i couldn't hit a dang
>thing. i was very upset. at first i thought it was my guns. i switched
>to some better quality paint bought from the pro shop there at the field
>and my accuracy seriously improved.
>
>it may seem like a silly question but... what's the difference?
>i've read in here a few times about the diameter of different balls and
>i've been told that there are low, mid and high grade balls. what's the
>difference in them all?

There are so many variables here.

The first thing to know is the actual size of the paintballs. There
are actual different sizes believe it or not.

The balls could be aged and the fill could already by hardened side of
the ball. This could cause a problem if the paintballs are not
complete fills.

The balls could be oblong in shape. I have actually seen paintballs
that almost looked a little squared/rectangle.

The paintballs could have raised seams or blemishes that would cause
irregular wind/air drag.

Believe it or not the temperature can also make a difference with the
paintballs and there solidity.

I use a Flatline on my primary marker that I prefer and it will
immediately let you know of abnormalities with the paintballs.
Remember the Flatline barrel creates a backspin on the ball instead of
the regular "shotput" style of most marker/barrel combinations.

Makes a good statement on the "Magnus Effect" which covers in good
point the effect of the Flatline as well as ball surfaces.
http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/zbody/index.shtml

I have seen some really weird/wicked paintball trajectories that I had
wished I had filmed before. I have actually started carrying my
camera to the field (leaving in trunk) to start recording the
variances.

I would do a web search and read up on the differences and variations.
There is a lot of info out there on the topic.

Below is a link on Paintball Weight Statistics. There are minor
differences but when you are propelling (Shot Putting..etc) a
projectile (paintball) any difference will have or cause a difference.
Look at the charts displaying a maximum and minimum.

http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/pball/paintstats.html

This is just the weight here in the middle charts and then it looks at
the poles and seams. I just gets funnier and funnier after that if
you want to look at it with any type of accuracy. I am glad that most
people only shoot paintballs about 20-100 feet at most.

If is funny how science and stuff is involved in almost everything we
do.

Have fun and enjoy your paintball experience.

Hardtime

http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

31 Oct 2005 06:21:02
Jeff Goslin
Re: balls....?

"unforgiven 33" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> yesterday as i was playing, i began with two guns filled with the
> "wildstreak" paintballs i bought from wally-world. i couldn't hit a dang
> thing. i was very upset. at first i thought it was my guns. i switched
> to some better quality paint bought from the pro shop there at the field
> and my accuracy seriously improved.
>
> it may seem like a silly question but... what's the difference?
> i've read in here a few times about the diameter of different balls and
> i've been told that there are low, mid and high grade balls. what's the
> difference in them all?

Consistency is everything. They can be large or small, but if they aren't
consistently round and if the fill isn't consistent through the paint,
you're going to have problems. Some people swear by sizing their paint, but
when it comes right down to it, that just doesn't matter much, as long as
all the balls are the same size, as long as they are a consistent size.

The problem with cheap paint(such as walmart carries), is that they tend to
be old and inconsistent. The inconsistent is obvious, different sizes of
paint, different shapes of paintballs, differing thickness of fill. The age
comes into play because the fill could have settled on one side of the
paintball if the fill isn't thick enough, and if the paint is old enough.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info