23 Aug 2005 15:41:51
Proteus
face mask/protector with most room for eyeglasses?

I need to buy my own face mask/protector as the one I used as part of
rental at my first paintball experience last week was rather
uncomfortable-- being that I need to wear eyeglasses. Anybody have tips or
suggested brand/model that offers the most room for someone with a large
head (ok I guess I am asking for jokes on that one) who wears eyeglasses?
(i am certainly looking forward to getting that laser surgery in the next
couple of years to hopefully throw away eyeglasses except maybe for
reading!). Any help appreciated. Thank you in advance.



23 Aug 2005 21:40:36
Hardtime
Re: face mask/protector with most room for eyeglasses?

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:41:51 -0500, Proteus <[email protected] >
wrote:

>I need to buy my own face mask/protector as the one I used as part of
>rental at my first paintball experience last week was rather
>uncomfortable-- being that I need to wear eyeglasses. Anybody have tips or
>suggested brand/model that offers the most room for someone with a large
>head (ok I guess I am asking for jokes on that one) who wears eyeglasses?
>(i am certainly looking forward to getting that laser surgery in the next
>couple of years to hopefully throw away eyeglasses except maybe for
>reading!). Any help appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I use a "JT Flex" with a Smoke Fade Thermal Lens. I wear a size 7.5
hat and have about a 20-21 inch neck what there is of it. It is one
of the few that do not rub me on the neck and such.

You are basically going to have to try different ones on to see which
one you are comfortable with as they are all different in one way or
another. Make sure you get one that has good ventilation for your eye
area as with glasses you may have a problem with fogging. It is also
recommended that you use a thermal lenses to help cut down on the
fogging.


24 Aug 2005 05:48:54
RaG
Re: face mask/protector with most room for eyeglasses?

I've tried to find the post or article but can't. A few months back I read
that V-Force masks were recommended for people who wear glasses.




24 Aug 2005 06:29:04
Rick Scott
Re: face mask/protector with most room for eyeglasses?

(Proteus <[email protected] > uttered:)
> I need to buy my own face mask/protector as the one I used as part of
> rental at my first paintball experience last week was rather
> uncomfortable-- being that I need to wear eyeglasses. Anybody have
> tips or suggested brand/model that offers the most room for someone
> with a large head (ok I guess I am asking for jokes on that one) who
> wears eyeglasses?

FWIW, I've used a JT Proteus and a VForce Morph mask over the last
few years. The Morphs are larger and roomier, but the Proteus fit my
glasses just fine. (Mind you, I wear smallish glasses.) The Proteus
fogs more than the Morphs, probably because it's so much closer to your
face. JT's Cyclone fan helps, but it makes it harder to hear what's
going on, and in the end it didn't seem to control the fog any better
than the Morphs without a fan. I also had some durability issues with
the Proteus visor and fan, and JT wasn't any help at all.

In my experience, finding a mask that won't fog up isn't too much
of a problem -- it's keeping your glasses free of fog that is the
challenge. I haven't found a satisfactory solution yet. Right now
I wipe down my glasses with Rain-X anti-fog a few times a day, but
that only seems to be effective for a few games at a time. Apparently
when you order glasses you can get them to put some kind of high-tech
anti-fog stuff on them at the factory for a few bucks extra, so I
may have to investigate that when I pick up my next pair.


> (i am certainly looking forward to getting that laser surgery in the
> next couple of years to hopefully throw away eyeglasses except maybe
> for reading!).

I dunno, man; they say the technology's mature, but the idea of someone
shaping my cornea by blasting little bits of it away with a laser still
makes me pretty edgy. On the other hand, every time I bring up the
fog issue with my optometrist he tells me to get fitted for contacts,
which I'm sure is a good solution for many people.


> Any help appreciated. Thank you in advance.

No problem!




Rick
--
key CF8F8A75 / print C5C1 F87D 5056 D2C0 D5CE D58F 970F 04D1 CF8F 8A75
Any machine that doesn't have Perl on it is a sad machine indeed.
:Bugzilla install doc


24 Aug 2005 15:13:32
BaaL
Re: face mask/protector with most room for eyeglasses?

Proteus <[email protected] > has this craizy idea that:

> I need to buy my own face mask/protector as the one I used as part of
> rental at my first paintball experience last week was rather
> uncomfortable-- being that I need to wear eyeglasses. Anybody have
> tips or suggested brand/model that offers the most room for someone
> with a large head (ok I guess I am asking for jokes on that one) who
> wears eyeglasses? (i am certainly looking forward to getting that
> laser surgery in the next couple of years to hopefully throw away
> eyeglasses except maybe for reading!). Any help appreciated. Thank
> you in advance.

the best thing to do is to go to a bp shop any try on a few than see wich
fits the best...
from wha't i've heard vforce morph are reccomended for people with glasses
and big heads ;-)

--
Although I can tell you what is not, I cannot tell you what is.
That my friend, you will have to find out all by yourself,
for there is no help but self-help.




24 Aug 2005 23:53:51
John
Re: face mask/protector with most room for eyeglasses?

I cannot help ya here, I still have 20/20.

--
John TI2#003
[email protected]


27 Aug 2005 05:52:59
Matt Moriearty
Re: face mask/protector with most room for eyeglasses?

Proteus wrote:
> I need to buy my own face mask/protector as the one I used as part of
> rental at my first paintball experience last week was rather
> uncomfortable-- being that I need to wear eyeglasses. Anybody have tips or
> suggested brand/model that offers the most room for someone with a large
> head (ok I guess I am asking for jokes on that one) who wears eyeglasses?
> (i am certainly looking forward to getting that laser surgery in the next
> couple of years to hopefully throw away eyeglasses except maybe for
> reading!). Any help appreciated. Thank you in advance.
>
I wear glasses, too, but put in contacts for playing. The contacts are
a *great* help.

I use a V-Force profiler, mostly because I got a good deal on it. Great
lens, has never fogged, breathes well, light, so on and so forth. A
little cheaper are the Morphs and Shield (I think. Could be the Armor).
The Morph has a soft lower section, and the Shield has a hard one. The
profiler uses the same lens as those two, but has a smaller, well,
profile. Duh.
Any should fit about the same. They're all comfortable with my little
glasses, and cover a range of head sizes. I like mine a little tight,
and have to tighten the strap almost all the way despite my slightly
bulbous head and sometimes my excess hair as padding.
Then again, before this, I wore a $25 Wal-mart mask, and didn't have
much trouble. Just try a few at shops, ask some players, etc.

--
Please note that due to cuts in the budget, the light at the end of the
tunnel has been disconnected.
--Management


27 Aug 2005 08:44:54
Proteus
Re: face mask/protector with most room for eyeglasses?

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 05:52:59 +0000, Matt Moriearty wrote:
...
> I use a V-Force profiler, mostly because I got a good deal on it. Great
> lens, has never fogged, breathes well, light, so on and so forth. A little
> cheaper are the Morphs and Shield (I think. Could be the Armor). The Morph
> has a soft lower section, and the Shield has a hard one. The profiler uses
> the same lens as those two, but has a smaller, well, profile. Duh.
> Any should fit about the same. They're all comfortable with my little
> glasses, and cover a range of head sizes. I like mine a little tight, and
> have to tighten the strap almost all the way despite my slightly bulbous
> head and sometimes my excess hair as padding. Then again, before this, I
> wore a $25 Wal-mart mask, and didn't have much trouble. Just try a few at
> shops, ask some players, etc.

Nice review, thank you!

--
"I come here to combat the fraud and illusion of
your conventional, institutionalized religion.
As with all such religions, your institution moves
toward cowardice, it moves toward mediocrity,
inertia, and self-satisfaction."
~Frank Herbert, Children of Dune



27 Aug 2005 12:24:32
Jesse Felt
Re: face mask/protector with most room for eyeglasses?

+1.... thanks, I have been debating whether or not to invest in a more
expensive mask or contacts... something about sticking my fingerinto my
eye just freaks me the heck out... haha

Proteus wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 05:52:59 +0000, Matt Moriearty wrote:
> ...
>
>>I use a V-Force profiler, mostly because I got a good deal on it. Great
>>lens, has never fogged, breathes well, light, so on and so forth. A little
>>cheaper are the Morphs and Shield (I think. Could be the Armor). The Morph
>>has a soft lower section, and the Shield has a hard one. The profiler uses
>>the same lens as those two, but has a smaller, well, profile. Duh.
>>Any should fit about the same. They're all comfortable with my little
>>glasses, and cover a range of head sizes. I like mine a little tight, and
>>have to tighten the strap almost all the way despite my slightly bulbous
>>head and sometimes my excess hair as padding. Then again, before this, I
>>wore a $25 Wal-mart mask, and didn't have much trouble. Just try a few at
>>shops, ask some players, etc.
>
>
> Nice review, thank you!
>


28 Aug 2005 04:54:10
Matt Moriearty
Re: face mask/protector with most room for eyeglasses?

Jesse Felt wrote:
> +1.... thanks, I have been debating whether or not to invest in a more
> expensive mask or contacts... something about sticking my fingerinto my
> eye just freaks me the heck out... haha

Well, the most important piece of equipment you get is your mask. I
suggest you shop around and get a nice mid- or high-end one as soon as
you know you'll stick with it, instead of getting an uncomfortable cheapie.
Also, contacts take some getting used to. I still have a bit of a time
getting my left one in, but you can get used to them. You might have to
try a couple brands before you find a comfortable one, but they are THE
best thing I've bought for my game. Putting a good pair in will AMAZE
you by reminding you of how much of your field of vision you just forgot
you have.

--
Please note that due to cuts in the budget, the light at the end of the
tunnel has been disconnected.
--Management