30 Apr 2007 11:12:50
binkt
gettin' back into it!

hey everyone,

I've been out of the game for quite some time and I'd like to get back
into the swing of things again.
I've got an older shocker sport and I was just astounded by the low
prices and advanced designs of todays electro-pneumatic markers. For
the cost and hassle of reconditioning the old shocker, I could equip
myself with an ion and have all of the features that I was looking to
add (vision, double trigger, fore-grip, 9V operation, low profile).

So I was hoping to get your well-informed opinions on the current
batch of markers so I could make a more complete decision.

I'm more concerned with having the marker reliably fire, rather than
high-ROF. Also, cosmetic niceties are lost on me. Some previous guns
that I've had experience with include the rainmaker, tribal twister,
autococker, automag, piranha, spyders, F2, F4 illustrator (as AFT, I
still own it), Mokal Mirage (still own), Tippman model 98 (still
own) ...

I'm more into woodsball, but I'll play on a speedball course if its
the only way I can play with my buddies.

Thanks in advance,

-David



01 May 2007 16:02:57
Nobby
Re: gettin' back into it!

Personally I like the Ion, although they need a few upgrades.

For the speed ball at our local site have a Matrix, It's old and has a new
bolt set, it fast accurate as hell but hard to replace parts if broken and I
love it to bits.

For the woods I use my Spyder Victor II, Its friggin ugly and only has a J+J
Ceramic 16" barrel as an upgrade. I use this for the wood as it's more
robust where mud and dust is concerned and parts are abundant for next to
nothing. It to is very accurate and has no chops or jams under 15 bps on
auto.

Both use electro hoppers and are running on air not CO2.

My lad uses an Angel IR3 of which under 12 bps does not jam or chop but not
as accurate as my Matrix.

The best of the bunch is his mechanical SystemX Autococker. It will do
about 8 bps and drop balls on a coin. It's by no means fast but is the best
looking, most accurate, reliable, cheapest to run, very quiet, marker of
all.

The faces of some tourny players when there 800 marker is owned by a
mechanical cocker nearly always causes interest back in the building.

So there you go not always the high tec marker is the best, but it does help
to be accurate and reliable.

If you are in the market for a marker around $200 have a gander at a WGP
Autococker Trilogy SF PRO SELECT FIRE, get a fast hopper like an EGG II, B
loader, or Empire B, and an air tank NOT CO2. They are fast and accurate +
the cocker action is a cool thing to see working...

--
Nobby

Never let the bastards grind you down...
Think positive and get even!!!

http://nobbyondanet-pics.magix.net/


"binkt" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> hey everyone,
>
> I've been out of the game for quite some time and I'd like to get back
> into the swing of things again.
> I've got an older shocker sport and I was just astounded by the low
> prices and advanced designs of todays electro-pneumatic markers. For
> the cost and hassle of reconditioning the old shocker, I could equip
> myself with an ion and have all of the features that I was looking to
> add (vision, double trigger, fore-grip, 9V operation, low profile).
>
> So I was hoping to get your well-informed opinions on the current
> batch of markers so I could make a more complete decision.
>
> I'm more concerned with having the marker reliably fire, rather than
> high-ROF. Also, cosmetic niceties are lost on me. Some previous guns
> that I've had experience with include the rainmaker, tribal twister,
> autococker, automag, piranha, spyders, F2, F4 illustrator (as AFT, I
> still own it), Mokal Mirage (still own), Tippman model 98 (still
> own) ...
>
> I'm more into woodsball, but I'll play on a speedball course if its
> the only way I can play with my buddies.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -David
>




01 May 2007 16:06:32
Nobby
Re: gettin' back into it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-IN-BOX-WGP-Autococker-Trilogy-SF-PRO-SELECT-FIRE_W0QQitemZ180109594790QQihZ008QQcategoryZ47251QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

--
Nobby

Never let the bastards grind you down...
Think positive and get even!!!

http://nobbyondanet-pics.magix.net/


"Nobby" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Personally I like the Ion, although they need a few upgrades.
>
> For the speed ball at our local site have a Matrix, It's old and has a
> new bolt set, it fast accurate as hell but hard to replace parts if broken
> and I love it to bits.
>
> For the woods I use my Spyder Victor II, Its friggin ugly and only has a
> J+J Ceramic 16" barrel as an upgrade. I use this for the wood as it's
> more robust where mud and dust is concerned and parts are abundant for
> next to nothing. It to is very accurate and has no chops or jams under 15
> bps on auto.
>
> Both use electro hoppers and are running on air not CO2.
>
> My lad uses an Angel IR3 of which under 12 bps does not jam or chop but
> not as accurate as my Matrix.
>
> The best of the bunch is his mechanical SystemX Autococker. It will do
> about 8 bps and drop balls on a coin. It's by no means fast but is the
> best looking, most accurate, reliable, cheapest to run, very quiet, marker
> of all.
>
> The faces of some tourny players when there 800 marker is owned by a
> mechanical cocker nearly always causes interest back in the building.
>
> So there you go not always the high tec marker is the best, but it does
> help to be accurate and reliable.
>
> If you are in the market for a marker around $200 have a gander at a WGP
> Autococker Trilogy SF PRO SELECT FIRE, get a fast hopper like an EGG II, B
> loader, or Empire B, and an air tank NOT CO2. They are fast and accurate
> + the cocker action is a cool thing to see working...
>
> --
> Nobby
>
> Never let the bastards grind you down...
> Think positive and get even!!!
>
> http://nobbyondanet-pics.magix.net/
>
>
> "binkt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> hey everyone,
>>
>> I've been out of the game for quite some time and I'd like to get back
>> into the swing of things again.
>> I've got an older shocker sport and I was just astounded by the low
>> prices and advanced designs of todays electro-pneumatic markers. For
>> the cost and hassle of reconditioning the old shocker, I could equip
>> myself with an ion and have all of the features that I was looking to
>> add (vision, double trigger, fore-grip, 9V operation, low profile).
>>
>> So I was hoping to get your well-informed opinions on the current
>> batch of markers so I could make a more complete decision.
>>
>> I'm more concerned with having the marker reliably fire, rather than
>> high-ROF. Also, cosmetic niceties are lost on me. Some previous guns
>> that I've had experience with include the rainmaker, tribal twister,
>> autococker, automag, piranha, spyders, F2, F4 illustrator (as AFT, I
>> still own it), Mokal Mirage (still own), Tippman model 98 (still
>> own) ...
>>
>> I'm more into woodsball, but I'll play on a speedball course if its
>> the only way I can play with my buddies.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> -David
>>
>
>




03 May 2007 10:57:31
binkt
Re: gettin' back into it!

Thanks for your thoughts Nobby,

I've owned cocker's in the past, a 98 stock and a Sniper (first gen)
and I agree with you that they are quite accurate. I am surprised by
how cheap the newer ones have become, but after fiddling with my old
one almost as much as I played with it, I'm thinking that I'd much
rather go with a new electropnuematic type with less moving parts.

I am curious as to which parts you are specifically thinking of when
you mention that Ion's need upgrades. From what I've been reading so
far, it seems that the exhaust port on the body/breech and perhaps the
circuit board and vision system are the most critical first upgrades,
but I've seen several users with upgrade paths starting with the bolt
and/or low pressure regulator.

What has been your experience with the Ion?

I am also looking at an invert mini, hopefully the company that
produces them won't be sued into oblivion by Smart Parts, who thing
that any electropneumatic marker without a sear is their property.

What the heck is going on with this industry?!

db



03 May 2007 20:59:34
Nobby
Re: gettin' back into it!

The plastic feed neck has really got to go first and replacing with a Q lock
or twist neck as the old one will almost certainly rip out with the weight
of the hopper and paint if it's rough handled.

If your only doing recreational paint ball all the other bits like QEV, new
reg, board, ON/OFF, bolt, eyes, will be just bad spent money. I'd just buy
a new barrel like a J+J Ceramic, Dye Ultralite or similar and the feedneck.

A thought though. If you were to pay for all the extra parts for faster
play and accuracy, personally I'd just buy a second hand marker with all the
parts fitted or buy something like the Cocker I suggested or a Proto Rail.

Remember with the marker you will need a faster hopper than the marker to
get the most bps it's capable of and Ions run on AIR not Co2 as you will
kill the solenoid.

--
Nobby

Never let the bastards grind you down...
Think positive and get even!!!

http://nobbyondanet-pics.magix.net/


"binkt" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Thanks for your thoughts Nobby,
>
> I've owned cocker's in the past, a 98 stock and a Sniper (first gen)
> and I agree with you that they are quite accurate. I am surprised by
> how cheap the newer ones have become, but after fiddling with my old
> one almost as much as I played with it, I'm thinking that I'd much
> rather go with a new electropnuematic type with less moving parts.
>
> I am curious as to which parts you are specifically thinking of when
> you mention that Ion's need upgrades. From what I've been reading so
> far, it seems that the exhaust port on the body/breech and perhaps the
> circuit board and vision system are the most critical first upgrades,
> but I've seen several users with upgrade paths starting with the bolt
> and/or low pressure regulator.
>
> What has been your experience with the Ion?
>
> I am also looking at an invert mini, hopefully the company that
> produces them won't be sued into oblivion by Smart Parts, who thing
> that any electropneumatic marker without a sear is their property.
>
> What the heck is going on with this industry?!
>
> db
>