25 Oct 2005 12:29:59
Tony Sr.
ot, but read it...

pass it on guys
If any of you have ever been to a military funeral in which taps

were played; this brings out a new meaning of it.

Here is something Every American should know. Until I read this, I

didn't know, but I checked it out and it's true:

We in the United States have all heard the haunting song, "Taps".

It's the song that gives us that lump in our throats and usually

tears in our eyes.

But, do you know the story behind the song? If not, I think you

will be interested to find out about its humble beginnings.

Reportedly, it all began in 1862 during the Civil War, when Union

Army Captain Robert Ellicombe was with his men near Harrison 's

Landing in Virginia . The Confederate Army was on the other side of

the narrow strip of land.

During the night, Captain Ellicombe heard the moans of a soldier who

lay severely wounded on the field. Not knowing if it was a Union or

Confederate soldier, the Captain decided to risk his life and bring

the stricken man back for medical attention. Crawling on his

stomach through the gunfire, the Captain reached the stricken

soldier and began pulling him toward his encampment.

When the Captain finally reached his own lines, he discovered it was

actually a Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead.

The Captain lit a lantern and suddenly caught his breath and went

numb with shock. In the dim light, he saw the face of the soldier.

It was his own son. The boy had been studying music in the South

when the war broke out. Without telling his father, the boy

enlisted in the Confederate Army.

The following morning, heartbroken, the father asked permission of

his superiors to give his son a full military burial, despite his

enemy status. His request was only partially granted.

The Captain had asked if he could have a group of Army band members

play a funeral dirge for his son at the funeral.

The request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate.

But, out of respect for the father, they did say they could give him

only one musician.

The Captain chose a bugler. He asked the bugler to play a series of

musical notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of the

dead youth's uniform.

This wish was granted.

The haunting melody, we now know as "Taps"...used at military

funerals was born.

The words are :

Day is done..

Gone the sun.

From the lakes.

From the hills.

From the sky.

All is well.

Safely rest.

God is nigh.

Fading light.

Dims the sight.

And a star.

Gems the sky.

Gleaming bright.

From afar.

Drawing nigh.

Falls the night.

Thanks and praise.

For our days.

Neath the sun.

Neath the stars.

Neath the sky.

As we go.

This we know.

God is nigh.

I too have felt the chills while listening to "Taps" but I have

never seen all the words to the song until now. I didn't even know

there was more than one verse. I also never knew the story behind

the song and I didn't know if you had either so I thought I'd pass

it along.

I now have an even deeper respect for the song than I did before.

Remember Those Lost and Harmed While Serving Their Country.

And also those presently serving in the Armed Forces.

pASS it on guys.........

25 Oct 2005 23:23:04
unforgiven 33
Re: ot, but read it...

thanx for sharing that.
i never even knew there were words to it at all. and the story is
touching. i've lost two sons. i know the pain.

we "play war" every weekend. we have men and women out there now
actually living it for real. remember them in your prayers.
and to all of the men and women of our military, thank you.

26 Oct 2005 22:08:27
EDTHEWARD
Re: ot, but read it...

"Tony Sr." <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> pass it on guys
> If any of you have ever been to a military funeral in which taps
>
> were played; this brings out a new meaning of it.
>

> Here is something Every American should know. Until I read this, I
>
> didn't know, but I checked it out and it's true:

blah blah blah

actually, not true. but, that's what chain letters are all about.

http://www.west-point.org/taps/Taps.html

official B.S. chain letter:

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/taps.html

so there ya go. and the official story from WEST POINT is still not
completely validated.

27 Oct 2005 01:23:51
John
Re: ot, but read it...

This was sent to me by a friend that is a school Teacher

According Jari A. Villanueva, who is both a bugler and bugle
historian, your story is more that a bit wrong. I am uncertain who
wrote the statement,
"Until I read this, I didn't know, but I checked it out and it's true:"
But that person's facts are as bad as their use of punctuation. In this
day of information, it amazes me at what we so blindly accept as
facts. Even the words to the song are wrong.

I suggest you visit this website:
http://www.west-point.org/taps/Taps.html

There are no official words to the music but here are some of the
more popular verses:

Day is done, gone the sun,
From the hills, from the lake,
From the sky.
All is well, safely rest,
God is nigh.

Go to sleep, peaceful sleep,
May the soldier or sailor,
God keep.
On the land or the deep,
Safe in sleep.

Love, good night, Must thou go,
When the day, And the night
Need thee so?
All is well. Speedeth all
To their rest.

Fades the light; And afar
Goeth day, And the stars
Shineth bright,
Fare thee well; Day has gone,
Night is on.

Thanks and praise, For our days,
'Neath the sun, Neath the stars,
'Neath the sky,
As we go, This we know,
God is night.

"EDTHEWARD" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Tony Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> pass it on guys
>> If any of you have ever been to a military funeral in which taps
>>
>> were played; this brings out a new meaning of it.
>>

>> Here is something Every American should know. Until I read this, I
>>
>> didn't know, but I checked it out and it's true:
>>

> blah blah blah
>
> actually, not true. but, that's what chain letters are all about.
>
> http://www.west-point.org/taps/Taps.html
>
> official B.S. chain letter:
>
> http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/taps.html
>
> so there ya go. and the official story from WEST POINT is still not
> completely validated.

26 Oct 2005 20:45:37
Tony Sr.
Re: ot, but read it...