09 Jul 2003 15:01:53
Tony of Judicious
Shipwreck on the Summer Isles

I've been away for 3 weeks and very out of touch (story to follow) but
was in the Summer Isles (NW Scotland) at the weekend and there was a
300ft coaster there that went on the rocks and leaking tons (43 I
believe) of fuel oil. Also had a few thousand tons of zinc sulphide as
cargo. Completely underwater except at low tide when ther top of the
superstructure was showing. Had a chat with CG guys at site but didn't
get much from them.

Anybody know how it happened. I gather it was on passage from N Ireland
to Norway, from the position I guess they cleared the NE passage in the
Minch off Skye, set the autopilot to pass round Cape Wrath but got it a
bit wrong.

Tony H - www.yacht-judicious.co.uk

10 Jul 2003 02:59:29
Graham Stephen
Re: Shipwreck on the Summer Isles

"Tony of Judicious" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I've been away for 3 weeks and very out of touch (story to follow) but
> was in the Summer Isles (NW Scotland) at the weekend and there was a
> 300ft coaster there that went on the rocks and leaking tons (43 I
> believe) of fuel oil. Also had a few thousand tons of zinc sulphide as
> cargo. Completely underwater except at low tide when ther top of the
> superstructure was showing. Had a chat with CG guys at site but didn't
> get much from them.
>
> Anybody know how it happened. I gather it was on passage from N Ireland
> to Norway, from the position I guess they cleared the NE passage in the
> Minch off Skye, set the autopilot to pass round Cape Wrath but got it a
> bit wrong.
>
> Tony H - www.yacht-judicious.co.uk

I suspect that the even the crew did not know what happened. I think I'd
choose not to
know what happened if it was me.......

Guessing....... The recommended track for north bound vessels is 062 up
the north of Skye
inside Fladda-chuin and Sgeir nam Maol. Just to the north of Eilean Trodday
the track changes
to 045. However if you omit to alter to 045, you end up in the middle of
the Summer Isles.

Grounding apparently occurred just before 4 am and guessing a speed of
around 15knots, the
mistake would have happened around 2am. Presuming the watch system is like
anything I
have come across it would be all in the same watch. Considering the time of
year and latitude,
it is not going to be very dark. The coast would have been very obvious, a
couple of miles
away when it should have been two or three times that. Rubha Reidh has a
full size light house
on it that would have illuminated the wheel house. Etc.

Incidentally there was a relatively modern wreck on Eilean Trodday for a few
years that apparently
was a case of "Just steer for the light and I'll tell you when to change
course"

Graham

10 Jul 2003 14:04:55
Tony of Judicious
Re: Shipwreck on the Summer Isles

>"Tony of Judicious" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> I've been away for 3 weeks and very out of touch (story to follow) but
>> was in the Summer Isles (NW Scotland) at the weekend and there was a
>> 300ft coaster there that went on the rocks and leaking tons (43 I
>> believe) of fuel oil. Also had a few thousand tons of zinc sulphide as
>> cargo. Completely underwater except at low tide when ther top of the
>> superstructure was showing. Had a chat with CG guys at site but didn't
>> get much from them.
>>
>> Anybody know how it happened. I gather it was on passage from N Ireland
>> to Norway, from the position I guess they cleared the NE passage in the
>> Minch off Skye, set the autopilot to pass round Cape Wrath but got it a
>> bit wrong.
>>
>> Tony H - www.yacht-judicious.co.uk
>
>I suspect that the even the crew did not know what happened. I think I'd
>choose not to
>know what happened if it was me.......
>
>Guessing....... The recommended track for north bound vessels is 062 up
>the north of Skye
>inside Fladda-chuin and Sgeir nam Maol. Just to the north of Eilean Trodday
>the track changes
>to 045. However if you omit to alter to 045, you end up in the middle of
>the Summer Isles.
>

>Grounding apparently occurred just before 4 am and guessing a speed of
>around 15knots, the
>mistake would have happened around 2am. Presuming the watch system is like
>anything I
>have come across it would be all in the same watch. Considering the time of
>year and latitude,
>it is not going to be very dark. The coast would have been very obvious, a
>couple of miles
>away when it should have been two or three times that. Rubha Reidh has a
>full size light house
>on it that would have illuminated the wheel house. Etc.

Ta for that, I didn't know when it hit. When I was up there last week I
came on watch at 03.00 and it was just getting light. By the time we
got into Lochinver is was fully light.

Agree about the lighthouse(range ~24M) - they must have seen it on the
port bow, when it should have been off the stbd bow (everybody asleep?).

Tony H - www.yacht-judicious.co.uk